Okay, answers are needed.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

Why does Dr Bleent shout about Ooze Booze when he doesnt sell it anymore?
Why do we not fire ooze gunk from the cannons now?
Why can you not have Danador change you into a sylvan hound?

These and many more absolutely pointless and nonsensical changes. Why?

Posted by: Straylight.7529

Straylight.7529

Always the same answer: they were deemed to confusing for new players causing them to panic and stop playing the game.

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Panic? I heard those poor kittens spontaneously imploded!

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Posted by: MVP.7961

MVP.7961

All that broken because they are so worried about the new players even the story didn’t survive it.

Straylight.7529

Arenanet is basically saying : “We need everybody to play this game. We need your grandma, we want your babies, we even want your dog to play our game.”

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Soon there will only be one race in Tyria – Human. Because having the other races will be too confusing for new players……

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

Soon there will only be one race in Tyria – Human. Because having the other races will be too confusing for new players……

Human? Nonsense. Their Mary Sue race, the Sylvari, will be the only one.

Posted by: dkspins.4670

dkspins.4670

LOL – I’m a grandma – senior citizen – and I had absolutely no problem playing this game (my first MMO, only played Spyro and Crash on PS) since12/12. Not confusing, with the exception of crafting, but map chat can work wonders! Better/written
tutorials may have served GW2 better than these changes.

7k hr, 13k AP, 16 char, all classes 80 Sadly, 3.5k hr. Ranger

Posted by: nethykins.7986

nethykins.7986

So.

Much.

Innuendo.

Posted by: chemiclord.3978

chemiclord.3978

Arenanet is basically saying : “We need everybody to play this game. We need your grandma, we want your babies, we even want your dog to play our game.”

There’s more truth to this than falsehood, though not for the implication the original poster uses.

AAA developers NEED large player bases to meet the expectations their publishers set. So yeah, they need to constantly attract more and more players. If their metrics were telling them too many people were quitting in those early levels, their publisher is going to say, “Fix it.”

And let’s face it… the biggest pool to draw from is from the “social games” crowd, and yeah, I’ll bet they WERE very confused and frustrated by those early levels. They probably DIDN’T know what to do with themselves when their skills changed upon picking up a bundle. They probably WERE confused by dodge mechanics, and those red triangles and blue chevrons all over their mini map. They probably DID feel overwhelmed by it all.

Now the question is… did they make the right fix? Are they wise to appeal to the “social games” crowd? That’s something that only time will tell.

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

Right after the patch I’ve been suspended for 3 days when I commented upon this new target audience. So have many other players, I suppose, resulting in a somewhat smaller outrage. So I shall withhold my opinion on the matter.

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs

Straylight.7529

There’s more truth to this than falsehood, though not for the implication the original poster uses.

AAA developers NEED large player bases to meet the expectations their publishers set. So yeah, they need to constantly attract more and more players. If their metrics were telling them too many people were quitting in those early levels, their publisher is going to say, “Fix it.”

And let’s face it… the biggest pool to draw from is from the “social games” crowd, and yeah, I’ll bet they WERE very confused and frustrated by those early levels. They probably DIDN’T know what to do with themselves when their skills changed upon picking up a bundle. They probably WERE confused by dodge mechanics, and those red triangles and blue chevrons all over their mini map. They probably DID feel overwhelmed by it all.

Now the question is… did they make the right fix? Are they wise to appeal to the “social games” crowd? That’s something that only time will tell.

The problem is that you can’t attract everyone, no matter how hard you try. That plants&zombies playing grandma is not going to play GW2 no matter how much you dumb it down. She’s just happy playing Plants&Zombies or Angrybirds. But everyone already playing the game has to suffer just for the very low possibility that they might attract that odd grandma or two. (nothing against grandma’s, just an example)

I think the smartest course of action is when a game company says "stop!, we attracted enough different types of players, let’s improve the game for those types of players we already have.

In your search to attract more and more types of players you will inevitably alienate your own playerbase. Finding the exact spot when this happens and avoid crossing it, is crucial. I think Arenanet went one step too far with this Feature Pack.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Always the same answer: they were deemed to confusing for new players causing them to panic and stop playing the game.

A game having flavor isn’t user friendly. We need blandness instead.

Posted by: MVP.7961

MVP.7961

The problem is that you can’t attract everyone, no matter how hard you try. That plants&zombies playing grandma is not going to play GW2 no matter how much you dumb it down. She’s just happy playing Plants&Zombies or Angrybirds. But everyone already playing the game has to suffer just for the very low possibility that they might attract that odd grandma or two. (nothing against grandma’s, just an example)

I think the smartest course of action is when a game company says "stop!, we attracted enough different types of players, let’s improve the game for those types of players we already have.

In your search to attract more and more types of players you will inevitably alienate your own playerbase. Finding the exact spot when this happens and avoid crossing it, is crucial. I think Arenanet went one step too far with this Feature Pack.

The problem here they are pushing away the players that have been with them from get go to get these ‘imaginary’ players.

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Why can you not have Danador change you into a sylvan hound?

He did change my ele into a sylvan hound – just a little while ago. But he only did it after I’d filled the heart.

The table is a fable.

Posted by: dlonie.6547

dlonie.6547

Why does Dr Bleent shout about Ooze Booze when he doesnt sell it anymore?

Because they laid off Hrouda.

(edited by dlonie.6547)

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

This game is too confusing… it wants me to think a character name… Anet plis… y u do dis

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I find your reply too confusing, please follow these hints to help me understand:

1 – Delete all your Sylvari chars.
2 – Start all new Human chars.
3 – Be ready for that update.
4 – Have fun! :-D

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Kamui.4038

Kamui.4038

I find your reply too confusing, please follow these hints to help me understand:

1 – Delete all your Sylvari chars.
2 – Start all new Human chars.
3 – Be ready for that update.
4 – Have fun! :-D

Too many choices and it’s confusing me. My post count isn’t high enough to unlock more than 2 choices.