On TP Masterwork Greatsaws (not a skin) [Merged]

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

So, I looked at the Greatsaw greatsword skin a min ago and to my surprise I saw two different ones for sale. The Greatsaw Greatsword Skin and Greatsaw (which is a masterwork Item not a skin).

How is that possible?

Attachments:

(edited by PlagueParade.7942)

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

OK so in the TP there is a greatsaw WEAPON and a skin…..the skin is 400gold but the low lvl weapon is 3000gold….wtf is this? this is hacking correct?

Attachments:

Posted by: bittercranberry.7015

bittercranberry.7015

It’s not hacking, you can put any item at almost any price.

Posted by: Adry.7512

Adry.7512

but you can attach a skin to a weapon and then sell it? isnt that scamming? you cant unlock a skin by buying that weapon right?

Posted by: bittercranberry.7015

bittercranberry.7015

Once you edit an item you cannot sell it.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

but you can attach a skin to a weapon and then sell it? isnt that scamming? you cant unlock a skin by buying that weapon right?

If you equip it or salvage it, you would unlock the skin.

Posted by: Morte de Angelis.7986

Morte de Angelis.7986

The Greatsaw was added to the game years ago. So it might of been possible to pick up a stated version of the weapon at the time before the change to the Wardrobe. At least I knew this was possible some weapons were added, can’t remember the name. But there were weapons that had stats and some were just skins. This just might be a stated version from before.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

That greatsaw is from years ago when “skin” items didn’t exist. back then, all the “skins” the game handed out for various events were real items, with real stats, and often the stats on them sucked. It was rare that they were tradable, but some were.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Kentaine.4692

Kentaine.4692

Applying a skin (from wardrobe or the skin itself) causes a weapon or piece of armor to become soulbound (if it isn’t already).

If it was the other way round, none of those greatsaw skins would exist… at least not at that price but maybe 2850 instead of 3000 for the weapon itself.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I could not find anything on the Wiki about a Greatsaw Greatsword weapon. When the item was first introduced, in 2012, it was a skin only available through Black Lion Chests.

When the item was re-introduced through the Halloween lottery, again, just a skin.

I’m not sure what that item is on the TP. /shrug

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

Skins all used to be weapons, like the golden fractal ones.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: PlagueParade.7942

PlagueParade.7942

Not that I have ever been aware of. I bought that ghastly grinning shield when it first came out year 1 could have sworn it was a skin not a wep.

Posted by: OtterPaws.2036

OtterPaws.2036

The chainsaw also was a skin that came out the first year, since i started there has been a weapon version of one up on the TP.

~Hart Warband~
Levi Ironhart, Cassandra Irehart, Lucio Trothart
Discord Gearhart, Naevius Soulhart, Frisk Softhart

Posted by: Babai.7531

Babai.7531

If i remember correct they was ultra rare drops from 1st year Halloween Mad King’s dungeon chest.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

It was a Halloween event item. If i remember correctly there were skins and weapons drop at the time..

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

If i remember correct they was ultra rare drops from 1st year Halloween Mad King’s dungeon chest.

Nope, just skins. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mad_King_Chest_%28historical%29

Posted by: Mo Mo.1947

Mo Mo.1947

So whoever listed the item either listed it years ago when the price was fluxuating or thinks that it has some collectors value, which it probably does. It could be someone who doesn’t even play the game anymore, or someone who refuses to take down the listing given how much gold they spent listing it in the first place :P

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I don’t understand why either. There was a post very long time ago explaining it . From what people is saying it is normal though.

Basically the game changed over time. Some things you used to do before you can’t do it now. There wasn’t wardrobe system before. You can apply skins to white weapon and sell I think. Or something like that.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

I don’t understand why either. There was a post very long time ago explaining it . From what people is saying it is normal though.

Basically the game changed over time. Some things you used to do before you can’t do it now. There wasn’t wardrobe system before. You can apply skins to white weapon and sell I think. Or something like that.

Applying a skin would bind the item and bound items can’t be sold on the TP.

Before the switch to transmutation charges all skins previewed as actual items.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Weapons skins came from BL chests…

If i remember transmutation onto a white item use to make the skin not bound.

(edited by Dante.1508)

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Transmuting onto a white item made a soulbound skin or item account bound and enabled you to transfer it between characters.

Which was a useful trick because before the wardrobe you could only use a skin on one item at a time. If you wanted to use a greatsaw on more than one character you had to either buy two or transfer it across and since the vast majority of exotics are soulbound on equip (and ascended weapons and armour didn’t exist back then) this was the only way you could do it.

I think (but I’m not sure) those greatsaw items are what happened if you used a Transmutation Splitter on an item with a skin that didn’t come from another weapon.

A splitter would separate the skin and the stats into the two items they originally came from. Apparently if the skin didn’t have stats originally (like the Halloween ones) it wasn’t able to just give you the skin back, so you’d get the skin applied to a random Masterwork weapon. (And could then use a transmutation stone to apply it to another weapon.)

But I also thought those weapons were supposed to be account bound, so I’m not sure how they ended up on the TP.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Rivindor.7258

Rivindor.7258

It’s a failed attempt at powertrading. The greatsaw was being sold for about 425g earlier and only one existed. I toyed with the idea of buying it for 425g and then reselling at 1,000g+ but I was at the time naive that there were so many of the skins being sold for 400ishg already. My guess is the player also didnt realize the skins had dropped so much in price, or perhaps may not even know the skin existed. The greatsaw won’t sell and, the player is down several hundred gold both from buying the greatsaw to powertrade, and from listing it at 3,000g.

Danikat.8537

That greatsaw is from years ago when “skin” items didn’t exist. back then, all the “skins” the game handed out for various events were real items, with real stats, and often the stats on them sucked. It was rare that they were tradable, but some were.

Skin items have existed since launch. The Hall of Monuments skins and the gem store armour skins are the earliest examples I remember.

I’m not sure but I think these items are what you would get if you applied the skin to a weapon and then used a Transmutation Splitter – instead of giving the original skin item back the splitter would give you it applied to a random, low level weapon.

I thought those were supposed to be account bound, but it wouldn’t surprise me if there were exceptions.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I’m not sure but I think these items are what you would get if you applied the skin to a weapon and then used a Transmutation Splitter – instead of giving the original skin item back the splitter would give you it applied to a random, low level weapon.

I thought those were supposed to be account bound, but it wouldn’t surprise me if there were exceptions.

From what I recall, the splitters only gave you back the upgrade, stat weapon (which would be soulbound), and then the skin on a weapon without stats (which would be account bound). But, like you said, there could have been exceptions.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Here is something interesting. This guy just got a Ghastly Grinning Shield weapon (not skin) from the Mystic Forge. Maybe they’ve made an unannounced change to the MF loot table, or its a bug and its dropping weapons it’s not supposed to.

So I found this….

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Here is something interesting. This guy just got a Ghastly Grinning Shield weapon (not skin) from the Mystic Forge. Maybe they’ve made an unannounced change to the MF loot table, or its a bug and its dropping weapons it’s not supposed to.

So I found this….

Very strange indeed. And now everyone will be throwing blue and green weapons into the forge all day and night.

Danikat.8537

From what I recall, the splitters only gave you back the upgrade, stat weapon (which would be soulbound), and then the skin on a weapon without stats (which would be account bound). But, like you said, there could have been exceptions.

The ones on the TP don’t have any stats. They’ve got weapon strength, but nothing else. And nothing in the text about double-clicking them to select stats either.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I might know what happened. I had a Ghastly Grinning Shield skin like this from support.

Basically I misinterpreted a dev post between the halloween rental skins and the drop skins and thought I had to soulbind the Ghastly Grinning Shield skin to myself to keep from losing it before the end of the event.

When I realized my mistake I contacted support and they gave me a new version of the skin.

However, apparently support can just ‘make’ items if they need to, because what he gave me was like that, not just a skin but a functional weapon with the skin on it, and because of that a completely unique item on the TP. However I only had it up for sale for a few hours before support mailed me saying a mistake had been made, took the item and mailed me the gold from my TP fees. Then they gave me the correct item, which I put up on the TP and was just like all the other Ghastly Grinning Shield skins on the TP.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

So I found this….

Very strange indeed. And now everyone will be throwing blue and green weapons into the forge all day and night.

He said he was throwing in rare level shields when he got that so even though the text is green it’s probably rated as rare.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Skin items have existed since launch. The Hall of Monuments skins and the gem store armour skins are the earliest examples I remember.

You know what, you’re right. I seem to remember the first round of haloween skins dropping as real weapons though, but the shoulders dropped as skins IIRC.

IDK, it was a long time ago, lol.

I think the person talking about the weird time in histroy when they added transmutation splitters might be on to something?

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

Posted by: Greener.6204

Greener.6204

Anet created the Skins and the Weapon versions of these items at the same time, as is seen by their item codes: 36332 and 36339 for the Ghastly Grinning Shield; 36334 and 36340 for the Greatsaw.

While I don’t recall the original means to get the Weapons, they were in line with how transmutation was done back then. For a single transmutation charge, the level zero (useless) weapon could be mixed with any other weapon, maintaining the latter’s level and upgrades. If the player received a Skin, then they could apply it without the cost of the transmutation charge.

Edit: Likely scenario: Skins came from Black Lion Chests, as you had already used gems to get keys, so forcing you to use gems again to buy transmutation charges would just be evil. Weapons came from in-game events, such as a Mad King’s Chest reward, so players are pushed to buy the charges with gems.

As for conspiracy theories, really people? These are scrapping the bottom of the barrel! People have items in their inventories from years ago. Nothing strange about that.

G R E E N E R

(edited by Greener.6204)

Posted by: Tom.6478

Tom.6478

This all fits in. There is just too many examples of where all these rare weapons are showing up even though no new ones has dropped in 2 years. They where meant to be a finite amount.

At the very least, Arena Net should say….we looked into this, and there is nothing wrong here.

Until they do, the conspiracy theory’s will go on.

Please Arena Net….clear this up so we cane all move on.

(edited by Tom.6478)