On capping Achievement points: Don't.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sablephoenix.1593

sablephoenix.1593

Why would you even consider this? Capping earnings of a repeatable achievement utterly defeats the purpose of making it repeatable.

This change is, not to put to fine a point on it, asinine.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

Idk. I guess it’s because of some people who complained about how long it took them to do every possible daily achievement. They apparently were unable to control themselves and asked for ANet to cap the dailies, which ANet did, so that they could eventually hit the max and stop doing them. That’s the only explanation I can think of. There was a long thread about this.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

I don’t know, I have played since the game opened and have about 3k daily AP. I do dailies well daily for the most part.

Posted by: Shadey Dancer.2907

Shadey Dancer.2907

Not sure what to make of this either. I d have gone the other way, and made them more, to allow others to get achievements——if they want them. Sure there are people complaining that they don’t have time to do them. But then, by the same token it could be argued that people who have done accomplishments on mega bosses shouldn’t have them because, others didn’t have the time/ opportunity to do it. Sorry that argument just doesn’t wash. As in in real life there are some people gifted, some less so; some with more time, some with less. Its a bit like looking at Usain Bolt, and the the placed runners saying—-‘your too fast—-here—-take this sack of potatoes and run against us—-much fairer’.

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Actually the only other repeatable achievement I can think of is the Salvage one, and guess what? It is capped.

Also keep in mind that no one is even close to hitting the cap yet, so it is not really that much of an issue.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Astral Projections.7320

Actually the only other repeatable achievement I can think of is the Salvage one, and guess what? It is capped.

Also keep in mind that no one is even close to hitting the cap yet, so it is not really that much of an issue.

It is not really that much of an issue, now. When I hit the cap, which eventually I will if I keep playing, and there are still the achievement chests rewards that I want and it will take me longer, much longer, to get these rewards, then it will be an issue for me and anyone else like me.

Shadey Dancer.2907

True, but that’s why we are discussing it here—-before it becomes an issue.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Some people are close to hitting the Daily Achievement Point cap. I am against putting a cap on these, as well. Where is the foresight about the future of the game? Will the game be closed in 2 or 3 years? Because that is when many will have hit the caps. I just don’t understand the reasoning behind this.

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I actually prefer having a cap. Makes it less of a race, less of a ‘MUST GET OR WILL LOSE OUT FOREVER!’ thing.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

Posted by: Kuzzi.2198

Kuzzi.2198

I’m 2/3 of the way to the daily cap, and I support the cap.

I believe the purpose of the cap is to give the achievements leaderboards more meaning. Currently, the top 100 are just players who have done more daily achievements than the rest. With the cap in place, the leaderboard will eventually reflect who has actually done more in the game.

(edited by Kuzzi.2198)

Astral Projections.7320

I actually prefer having a cap. Makes it less of a race, less of a ‘MUST GET OR WILL LOSE OUT FOREVER!’ thing.

And I couldn’t care less about how many points I have. If they reset them to zero after each achievement chest I earn, as long as I can still work towards the next one in line, I would be perfectly indifferent. Why should I and others like me have to be capped (and make my progress towards the next set of rewards slowed) because some people think it’s a race or worry about losing out forever or those who fret about some leaderboard.

lordkrall.7241

And I couldn’t care less about how many points I have. If they reset them to zero after each achievement chest I earn, as long as I can still work towards the next one in line, I would be perfectly indifferent. Why should I and others like me have to be capped (and make my progress towards the next set of rewards slowed) because some people think it’s a race or worry about losing out forever or those who fret about some leaderboard.

You can currently get chests as far up as 24,500 AP. With the cap on dailies and monthlies you will be able to get 15 000 of those points from doing only dailies and monthlies.
And dailies and monthlies are far from the main source of APs in this game.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: EdgarMTanaka.7291

EdgarMTanaka.7291

You can currently get chests as far up as 24,500 AP. With the cap on dailies and monthlies you will be able to get 15 000 of those points from doing only dailies and monthlies.

The first thing I thought about when I heard about the daily and monthly cap was; Well 15k AP is faraway to get but why would I even strive to get dailies done now? I go for dailies to get my Laurel ofc but also when I have got my five dailies I usually look to do the fun dailies for fun and for the small extra AP. Now I am not going to do the extra dailies becouse I don’t wanna reach the Cap to fast and ruining the daily achievements for the future.
I don’t like the cap, though I do not care that much if it goes but it is imo a bad decission.

Member of Alpha Swedish Gaming Community – http://www.alphas.se/
Guild Leader of Alpha Sgc [ASGC]

sablephoenix.1593

How close someone is to hitting the cap is immaterial. Eventually, the cap will be hit, and the point behind having dailies in the first place vanishes.

Posted by: sternenstaub.8763

sternenstaub.8763

I get the achievement cap, i was one of the guys who wanted it a year ago and it was one of the three reasons I left the game. Beat me, I don’t care, I like it.

But i understand that doing more of the dailies now seems a bit worthless, even though they might be fun… which should be reawrd enough in itself. How about giving a small extra if one does more then the required amount of dailies for the chest? Lets say you get 1-10 Points luck for any extra daily.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

How close someone is to hitting the cap is immaterial. Eventually, the cap will be hit, and the point behind having dailies in the first place vanishes.

Don’t really think the point of dailies was initially to be AP since AP did absolutely nothing on release or for a long time after release. It was for people to get a little outside their habits and as a bonus get some boosters or trans stones etc.

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

I do dailies for Laurels… not achievement points.
You also have a small chance to get free black lion store items.

You get more than just achievement points, being a bit overdramatic there.

Posted by: Rezz.8019

Rezz.8019

Doing more dailies is not worthless. You get laurels each time. And there won’t be many people who will actually get to that cap of 10k. I think this change was necessary in order to make the ladderboard more competitive.

sablephoenix.1593

I get the achievement cap, i was one of the guys who wanted it a year ago and it was one of the three reasons I left the game. Beat me, I don’t care, I like it.

Oh so you’re one of the people responsible for this.

It always stuns me when people feel like it’s to much work to get something, so rather than attempt to earn it for themselves, they would rather to take it away from other people who do have it.

What possible justification would you have for demanding a cap on achievement points, other than envy?

Posted by: Lothirieth.3408

Lothirieth.3408

There are more: hobby dungeon explorer and all of the mini games ‘Regular’ achievements. So technically capping the repeatable dailies is staying in tune with how other repeatable achievements have been handles.

EdgarMTanaka.7291

Doing more dailies is not worthless. You get laurels each time. And there won’t be many people who will actually get to that cap of 10k. I think this change was necessary in order to make the ladderboard more competitive.

But what about the Daily done above five? If I reached the cap and I do more dailies than necessary…?

Sure I will probably do more dailies anyway when that day comes but it will be just like salvaging, like yay I got an achievement again… Eh why did it even tell me I got it, I don’t care… It does’t give me anything at all. If I get 0 points or an achievement I don’t have thats okay by me but why even tell me I get something when I don’t get something? For those who have been playing everyday and done many achievements it will be just a slap in the face everytime they get an achievement above five.

Astral Projections.7320

Yes I know but that’s not the point. What I’m saying is, once I have reached that cap then it will take me longer each time to get each succeeding achievement chest. I might be only getting 6 to 8 points a day but that’s 180 to 240 points a month out of the 500 points needed for each chest. It’s going to take that much longer to reach each set of 500 points. If the reason for the achievement points is to work towards the rewards and to reward you for playing the game and logging on each day then the cap is counterproductive.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

It will be less competitive, not more. As soon as the people on top hit the cap, they will be able to chill out and do pretty much nothing, and still keep their places. They’ll just need to remember to do their LS achievements on time once per two weeks.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

I’m not understanding this. You can only get max 10 points or something from the dailies every day. What does Anet mean by putting a cap of 10,000 points?

How do you get that much every day?

EdgarMTanaka.7291

I’m not understanding this. You can only get max 10 points or something from the dailies every day. What does Anet mean by putting a cap of 10,000 points?

How do you get that much every day?

Hehe

It’s capped as maximum ever for dailies, so the real supporters of GW2 will be hit eventually.

sablephoenix.1593

Basically, this is just punishing the most faithful GW2 players. I can see no long term benefit to either the players or the game itself.

(edited by sablephoenix.1593)

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

The point behind having the dailies is that they provide experience, money, laurels, and a distraction from the normal “zergeverythingandmashF” a lot of players do. The fact they add a MINOR amount of AP is not the point behind dailies. It’s the same case with dailies.

And the leaderboards are pointless. You’re going to be competing only against the players who joined Day 1. Anyone who joins even a day later is going to struggle to keep up in AP, much less surpass it. And that’s even disregarding the fact that someone who starts the game today misses out on 100% of the AP from the living story.

It’d be nice if people kept in mind that you’re going to be seeing more achievements tied with future content releases, whether they be new zones entirely, or the next “chapter” of the living story. All of which give you more AP than a piddly daily.

Posted by: Sera.6539

Sera.6539

If the only reason you are playing GW2 is for the achievement points and to get the AP chests, it’s probably better to move on from the game. Either that or find a different goal to strive for. I’ve been playing almost every day since launch (minus vacation), and around ~4000 hours. I’d say I’m a faithful player. I like this cap.

Does it mean it’ll take longer to get the achievement chests? Sure. Does it mean I’ll stop doing dailies/monthlies? Nope, I get laurels, mystic coins, and a chance at free black lion items. Does it stop me from enjoying other parts of the game? Nope. I still have goals I set in the game to accomplish, and the cap won’t affect that at all. In fact, it’ll probably make me enjoy the game more, as I won’t have to worry about always finishing the daily.

Gelda Nebilim – Nagare [NGE] – Crystal Desert
http://youtube.com/user/Royblazer

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Basically, this is just punishing the most faithful GW2 players.

That’s what the living story AP are for. Capping dailies and monthlies is a punishment for players who merely log in to complete dailies and monthlies and then never be seen the remaining time of the day/month.

Posted by: Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Magnus Steelgrave.6580

Basically, this is just punishing the most faithful GW2 players. I can see no long term benefit to either the players or the game itself.

Not punishing, rewarding the most faithful. The most faithful will still have the most AP, they just now will have to do harder achievements rather than logging in and facerolling thru dailies… the whole point of dailies is laurels anyway not achievements so I’m failing to see any issue.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

I never stopped salvaging items once I maxed Agent of Entropy AP.

I won’t stop doing dailies (unless I quit) for laurels just because I’ve hit the 10000 AP cap.

The big thing here for AP farmers is that you can stop for a few days and not get left behind and also you don’t have to put in 3-6 hours to do the extra 4 PvP tournament dailies to keep up.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

lordkrall.7241

Yes I know but that’s not the point. What I’m saying is, once I have reached that cap then it will take me longer each time to get each succeeding achievement chest. I might be only getting 6 to 8 points a day but that’s 180 to 240 points a month out of the 500 points needed for each chest. It’s going to take that much longer to reach each set of 500 points. If the reason for the achievement points is to work towards the rewards and to reward you for playing the game and logging on each day then the cap is counterproductive.

It is however quite unlikely that you would not have already gotten (or at least close) to the last available chest by the time you cap out on your dailies.

I currently have 11671 AP. Out of those 3511 comes from daily and 1139 comes from monthly.
That means that the vast majority of the points (7021) comes from other sources, which would suggest that I will most likely get more than enough points for the highest chest before I cap my dailies or monthlies.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Astral Projections.7320

It is however quite unlikely that you would not have already gotten (or at least close) to the last available chest by the time you cap out on your dailies.

I currently have 11671 AP. Out of those 3511 comes from daily and 1139 comes from monthly.
That means that the vast majority of the points (7021) comes from other sources, which would suggest that I will most likely get more than enough points for the highest chest before I cap my dailies or monthlies.

You are assuming that there will be no further achievement chests, I am assuming they will continue to make them, that there will be more chests with even more exclusive skins inside them as well as the increased luck, karma and gold percents.

lordkrall.7241

Basing arguments on potential future stuff is usually not a good idea though. We have no information about if there will be additional chests and thus we can’t base our arguments around the fact that there might be.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Myst Dawnbringer.9138

Myst Dawnbringer.9138

This is silly and no one is forcing anyone to do the achieves. Once they are capped why bother. I like goals. I use the Achieves like quests. If your gonna take away the achieves give me some good old fashioned quests.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Why do you believe the 25,000 AP chest is the final chest? Once upon a time, they had only data-mined up to the 10,000 AP chest. Then, months later, they data-mined up to the 25,000 AP chest. That is the only reason we know what is to come in the up-coming chests, as no one has attained more points to see what chests are yet to come.

I would hope there are more chests to attain. The whole AP reward system wasn’t created just for laurels. At least, not according to the announcement when it was released. It was a reward system…to reward us for playing….daily. Which I do. Laurels don’t mean that much to me, so far. I spend them almost exclusively on dyes.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

Not punishing, rewarding the most faithful. The most faithful will still have the most AP, they just now will have to do harder achievements rather than logging in and facerolling thru dailies… the whole point of dailies is laurels anyway not achievements so I’m failing to see any issue.

I agree with Magnus here. I have actually started doing dailies every other day instead of daily. I saw a comment about still getting Laurels and stuff too so I may go back to doing them daily again.

This is another thing all: ArenaNet likes to change stuff up. By the time people start hitting the cap, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the material reward for doing the dailies get increased. Calling this a “punishment” or other such things is a little over the top.

It’s a way to keep people from looking back on their time with this game and going, “Holy cow. I logged into GW2 every single day of my life for 5 years straight.”

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Astral Projections.7320

Basing arguments on potential future stuff is usually not a good idea though. We have no information about if there will be additional chests and thus we can’t base our arguments around the fact that there might be.

Basing your argument on only what you can see at the current time strikes me as somewhat short sighted though. It assumes that there will be no progression past the current stopping point. That once people reach the end of the current set of chests that ANet won’t make more to entice people to log in daily.

ANet very much wants people to log in daily. Not only does the concurrency numbers matter to them but people who aren’t logging in are people who aren’t buying from the gem store. They leave vacant spots in their guilds and leave the maps empty. Which discourages other people from logging in.

So I think that ANet has a keen interest in the daily logins, sufficient interest to continue making achievement chests.

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

I am actually very happy they put the cap in. To be honest, I don’t think there should be daily achievements at all. The chest at the end to receive a luarel and some extra things is good enough (for me anyway)… as it stands the daily achievements aren’t really “achievements”. I am satisfied with how they handled it though, at the very least it makes it so the achievement leaderboards are more competitive. The way it works currently makes it so you can solidify your place on the leaderboards by having played longer, not better… Imagine if the PvP leaderboards were like that.. I don’t believe anyone would be happy.

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Shadey Dancer.2907

Just a thought that came to me.
No-one begrudges people who played GW1 for getting their achievements. They worked hard for them. So why are people begrudging people from getting their achievements in GW2, through this cap? The argument that anet is doing me a favor with this cap, i find quite frankly patronizing, that it will somehow free up my time to do other things. Actually, they are probably correct in that aspect on reflection. On some of the low ebbs, the daily/monthly is the only thing that made me play the game, and my garden could use some TLC!

(edited by Shadey Dancer.2907)

lordkrall.7241

No-one begrudges people who played GW1 for getting their achievements. They worked hard for them. So why are people begrudging people from getting their achievements in GW2, through this cap?

Oh, but they did. We had rather much complaints about that back in the days.

Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: bhagwad.4281

bhagwad.4281

No-one begrudges people who played GW1 for getting their achievements. They worked hard for them. So why are people begrudging people from getting their achievements in GW2, through this cap? The argument that anet is doing me a favor with this cap, i find quite frankly patronizing, that it will somehow free up my time to do other things. Actually, they are probably correct in that aspect on reflection. On some of the low ebbs, the daily/monthly is the only thing that made me play the game, and my garden could use some TLC!

Agreed. In general I’ve noticed that Anet doesn’t want others to get jealous of how many rewards long term players are getting. They seem to dislike the very idea of super long term goals.

Maybe they feel casuals should not get intimidated. Crazy if you ask me. You get rewarded for the time you put into the game. You’ve earned it. Too bad for those who don’t have it.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

The cap is good. It takes the ease off the grind and helps keep people from burning out. It also shifts the focus somewhat back to actual achievements, not daily grinds. Don’t forget they add 100+ AP’s every 2 weeks with the LS, it is not like you are going to ever cap out completely.

Posted by: nekretaal.6485

nekretaal.6485

A lot of achievements are capped.

Salvages, Dungeon Explorer, activity participation.

I just hope that they introduce the rest of the achievement armor now that the cap will make it a require full mastery of the game to get.

#24 leaderboard rank North America.

Posted by: Talyn.3295

Talyn.3295

I do dailies for Laurels… not achievement points.
You also have a small chance to get free black lion store items.

You get more than just achievement points, being a bit overdramatic there.

This^

Only achievement point hunters are really gonna be upset by this change.

“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”

Posted by: Shinzan.2908

Shinzan.2908

Without the cap a new player would have no way to catch up someone who’s been playing for longer. With this change it will take a long while still but new players won’t be at a permanent disadvantage. Change makes sense.

Posted by: MrRuin.9740

MrRuin.9740

No-one begrudges people who played GW1 for getting their achievements. They worked hard for them. So why are people begrudging people from getting their achievements in GW2, through this cap?

Well..for one they’re not hard in GW2. All you need is time on your hands.
Its a system that rewards whoever has the most free time. And having no cap to limit that means they would have to continue putting out rewards at intervals to accommodate the ever growing achievement points.
With a cap they are setting in place the means to cap the rewards as well, while also setting a long term goal for average casual players (most of whom are probably not even close to hitting the cap) since they know 10k is the end and an actual attainable goal.

Posted by: fishball.7204

fishball.7204

This^

Only achievement point hunters are really gonna be upset by this change.

Only one guy out of 10 or so I have spoken to was really ‘upset’ about this change (all of us are 20000+ AP).

He basically said it would become a competition as to who did more living story and he didn’t like that.

The rest us were just grateful we didn’t have to PvP 6 hours a day to keep up with the other AP hunters.

FOR THE GREEEEEEEEEEEEN

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Without the cap a new player would have no way to catch up someone who’s been playing for longer.

Unless Anet caps LS achievements they still won’t be able to.

I just hope that they introduce the rest of the achievement armor now that the cap will make it a require full mastery of the game to get.

Why for? Next step is capping LS achieves, and then there would be no reason to introduce rewards noone is ever going to get.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

(edited by Astralporing.1957)

Posted by: Asmodeus.5782

Asmodeus.5782

What’s the source on all this? Or is it panicking just in case , because somebody mentioned it?

Language is a virus from outer space.

William S. Burroughs