On capping Achievement points: Don't.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Without the cap a new player would have no way to catch up someone who’s been playing for longer. With this change it will take a long while still but new players won’t be at a permanent disadvantage. Change makes sense.

Clearly you havent seen the size of the “Historical” achievements category. It includes EVERY living story achievement (which are no longer obtainable once the LS moved to the next event) and holiday achievements (which might not be achievable anymore).

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

All it would take is one player with an obsessive-compulsive disorder claiming he “suffered” somehow as a result of being “forced” to play too much and bingo, lawsuit. You might scoff, but there are an amazing number of frivolous lawsuits in the U.S. every year. Risk manager says, “Not worth the risk.”

Even if such a lawsuit would be thrown out of court, imagine the headlines, “Game Developer Sued for Triggering Psychotic Episode by Fostering Compulsive Behavior in Teen!” Such a headline would be negative for ANet. Its opposite, “Players Sue Because Game Developers Take Away Ability to Earn in-Game Rewards Faster!” would not have the same impact.

Aidan Savage.2078

All it would take is one player with an obsessive-compulsive disorder claiming he “suffered” somehow as a result of being “forced” to play too much and bingo, lawsuit. You might scoff, but there are an amazing number of frivolous lawsuits in the U.S. every year. Risk manager says, “Not worth the risk.”

Even if such a lawsuit would be thrown out of court, imagine the headlines, “Game Developer Sued for Triggering Psychotic Episode by Fostering Compulsive Behavior in Teen!” Such a headline would be negative for ANet. Its opposite, “Players Sue Because Game Developers Take Away Ability to Earn in-Game Rewards Faster!” would not have the same impact.

And then the next day the headline is “OCD suffering teen willingly plays game that can trigger a psychotic break instead of seeking treatment.”

All in all the idea has as much merit as someone who commits a triple homicide blaming it on the influence of playing too much GTA.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

This^

Only achievement point hunters are really gonna be upset by this change.

Only one guy out of 10 or so I have spoken to was really ‘upset’ about this change (all of us are 20000+ AP).

He basically said it would become a competition as to who did more living story and he didn’t like that.

The rest us were just grateful we didn’t have to PvP 6 hours a day to keep up with the other AP hunters.

So he’s complaining that he’ll have to grind 10 achievements every 2 weeks?

As opposed to the 15 he has to grind every single day right now…

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

What’s the source on all this? Or is it panicking just in case , because somebody mentioned it?

From this information release on March 28th
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/pvp-reward-tracks-and-gear-unification/

“There are a few other general changes to daily achievements. There will be a limit of 10,000 daily and 5,000 monthly achievement points, rotations have been updated, and several relevant achievements have been updated to function in PvP.”

Posted by: Sergoros.4398

Sergoros.4398

I like this change. My achiv slavery would be ended one day. Im happy.

Posted by: Blockhead Magee.3092

Blockhead Magee.3092

Mark my words, they’ll raise that cap some day.

Its also time wasted on frivolous stuff instead of fixing/improving the game itself.

SBI

Aidan Savage.2078

Mark my words, they’ll raise that cap some day.

Its also time wasted on frivolous stuff instead of fixing/improving the game itself.

IF ($player{dailyap} <= $dailycap){
$player{gaindaily} = “true”;
}else{
$player{gaindaily} = “false”;
};

Repeat for monthlies and you’ve spent maybe 3 hours on it after you account for testing purposes. Hard to see how that’s frivolous.

Posted by: Astral Projections.7320

Astral Projections.7320

It would have been useful if ANet had stated their reasons for the cap instead of just the flat pronouncement. Perhaps they could reconsider and put in a soft cap where people can continue to earn AP points but only the 5 points a day needed to gain the daily. This would allow people to continue to progress but limit the ones who feel compelled to get all the points.

Sergoros.4398

It would have been useful if ANet had stated their reasons for the cap instead of just the flat pronouncement. Perhaps they could reconsider and put in a soft cap where people can continue to earn AP points but only the 5 points a day needed to gain the daily. This would allow people to continue to progress but limit the ones who feel compelled to get all the points.

They put many caps. Why only daily runners should have no cap? I runned dungeons ~150+ times. Why am I rewarded only for first 40? I did salvage achiv ~750+ times. Why am I rewarded only for 125 times? Same could be said about activity’s. Why only dailys should give infinite ap?

Posted by: Vercinorix.3021

Vercinorix.3021

They put many caps. Why only daily runners should have no cap? I runned dungeons ~150+ times. Why am I rewarded only for first 40? I did salvage achiv ~750+ times. Why am I rewarded only for 125 times? Same could be said about activity’s. Why only dailys should give infinite ap?

I would agree with your reasoning IF the cap had been implemented at the start of the achievement point reward system and was known then. Instead, it is almost a year and a half later. I would wager that plenty of other people besides me made choices of how to spend their time and exactly what achievements to prioritize based on that reality.

I believe that the idea of a rolling soft cap of 5 a day beyond 10k is far more fair and would address everyone’s concerns without harming anyone. IE max dailies at patch becomes 10k, the next day max is 10,005, 2nd day 10,010 etc. This would allow you to miss days and still catch up. That way this isn’t a retroactive nerf on achievement hunters and people can still get at least some achievement point benefits from doing dailies.

Posted by: Blink.9361

Blink.9361

I think it would’ve been better just to remove the Daily/Monthly AP from the Achievement Leaderboard…If that is what the OCD people are complaining about.

Posted by: Kronos.3695

Kronos.3695

Well, I’m one of these “achievements hunters” (22.010 AP right now) and frankly I got tired to repeat the same thing every day to continue playing on my style (doing and completing everything). if I wanted the daily grinding (because an effort not less than 3 hours to complete both dailies, is grinding), I would have played a different MMO.

This change was necessary, every real completionist wanted that simply to play a game, not a daily grinding (and don’t mention the leaderboards, an achiever like me doesn’t care about it) to force players logging in. The other players still get their APs for years, the achievement hunters (aka daily farmer, sadly) can play the game on the way they wanted to.

I’m currently at more than 9.200 AP done only with dailies, but when I’ll reach the cap, I’ll keep doing them for FREE GEMSTORE ITEMS and LAURELS.

Most of the people on the game won’t reach the cap even on 4 years of gaming, what’s the matter?

I seriously didn’t get the sense of this thread.

Kronos Ledaloth, Leader of Bloodstone Keepers [BloS] - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)

YouTube Channel

Posted by: elainom.2918

elainom.2918

The same as my dear AP hunters colleagues out there. This cap is a blessing and I dont understand why people who are not even close to hit that cap feel like complaining about something they dont even have to care about for a long, long time.

For an above average casual, even doing 10 points a day (max per daily is right now) is taking quite some time. A real casual will make less than 10 points. Anyway, thats at least 1000 days where you have to log in daily and do these achiev before hitting the cap. You do only 5 ? Well thats 2k dailies for you, quite a big lifespan already for a mmorpg nowadays. Why do people complain then ? Seriously if you are not even at 15k+ AP as of today, why all the sadness about this cap ?

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

For me GW2 is dead, I only log on to do the dailies, see there is nothing left worth bothering with and log off again. There is no real content left in GW2, the living world is trickle garbage that seems to want to do nothing other than clog up your inventory with worthless account-bound junk.

GW2 after 1 year feels like GW1 after 5 years. Just going through the motions, except this time they haven’t announced GW3 to keep us on the hook.

While I don’t see what problem the daily cap is solving I also don’t care because if all you have to do in the game is dailies then what the heck are we doing still bothering with this terminally declining game?

Posted by: Lunaire.5827

Lunaire.5827

Just logged in to say:

Thank you ArenaNet for capping dailies and monthlies!!!

Now I don’t feel like I will never possibly catch up because of missing a day or two due to work/life. I didn’t feel like the main source of achievement points should be dailies or monthlies anyways.

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

OK blonde moment here. I am not sure I understand what is going on here?
Though assume it is about the post “There will be a limit of 10,000 daily and 5,000 monthly achievement points,”

But in daily now I can rarely get over 11 points for daily. How can you ever get 10,000!

Also is there still no cap for getting Achievment Chests (Large, Heavy, etc)?

Thanks

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

OK blonde moment here. I am not sure I understand what is going on here?
Though assume it is about the post “There will be a limit of 10,000 daily and 5,000 monthly achievement points,”

But in daily now I can rarely get over 11 points for daily. How can you ever get 10,000!

Also is there still no cap for getting Achievment Chests (Large, Heavy, etc)?

Thanks

10,000 daily achievement points total. Meaning once you get 10,000 from doing dailys over time you will not get anymore. Every time you do one daily achievement it adds to the total. It is a running total whether your get 3 daily achievement points in a day or all of them the next day, after you reach 10,000 total you get none.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: XacTactX.6709

XacTactX.6709

Actually the only other repeatable achievement I can think of is the Salvage one, and guess what? It is capped.

Also keep in mind that no one is even close to hitting the cap yet, so it is not really that much of an issue.

There are people close to the cap, one person who was on the top 10 six weeks ago had 8.1k daily AP the cap will apply some time in the next few months. I wish I didn’t have to grind to 10k to benefit from it though I only have 4.8k from dailies.

Anet likely didn’t want to remove the armor stats entirely because…well,
we’ve all seen what happens in games where there’s no disadvantage to taking your pants off.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

Just logged in to say:

Thank you ArenaNet for capping dailies and monthlies!!!

Now I don’t feel like I will never possibly catch up because of missing a day or two due to work/life. I didn’t feel like the main source of achievement points should be dailies or monthlies anyways.

Dailies/Monthlies aren’t the main source of achievement points. Even without the cap. Living Story has MANY more points attached to it, and people who’ve been playing longer/more ideally should have more achievement points than new people. This change makes no sense at all.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

Posted by: mPascoal.4258

mPascoal.4258

I like this being capped. As mention will make this less of a competition for dailys and monthlys. Also it incourages ppl to go and do the game archivements beside these 2 types. Without the cap who would run for all Weapons master? No one. Well now maybe someone will (oh the grind, it’s unberable xD)

Phask - Guardian/DH | Phaskk - Warrior | Phaask - Revenant

Angelica Dream.7103

Thanks JustTrogdor

So what if I have 11,600 now?
…and again there will be no more reward chests once you get to 10,000?

(edited by Angelica Dream.7103)

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

The point of the cap is to stop people from just farming dailies for achievement points – they want people to play the rest of the content first. So yeah it isn’t a perfect solution, but I see why they’re doing it and it doesn’t bother me. Your life isn’t going to end because you can’t do dailies over and over again to unlock an achievement chest.

Posted by: Guhracie.3419

Guhracie.3419

This applies to achievement points gained from daily achievements. If you hover over your points on the summary part of the achievement panel, it breaks down where the points are from. So you can gain 10,000 from daily achievements before dailies will stop awarding points. It has nothing to do with any sort of overall cap to your account achievement points.

“Be angry about legendary weapons, sure, but what about the recent drought of content?”
-Mike O’Brien
Because we can’t be angry about both?

JustTrogdor.7892

The reward chests are based on total achievement points, daily, monthly, living world, and so forth. When you do a daily achievement, for example, Daily Gatherer, you get 1 point. If you only do your 5 needed for the daily achievement chest you will add 5 points to your daily total out of 10,000. Once you have achieved 10,000 points from daily tasks you will be capped and get 0 toward your overall achievement points.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Angelica Dream.7103

The reward chests are based on total achievement points, daily, monthly, living world, and so forth. When you do a daily achievement, for example, Daily Gatherer, you get 1 point. If you only do your 5 needed for the daily achievement chest you will add 5 points to your daily total out of 10,000. Once you have achieved 10,000 points from daily tasks you will be capped and get 0 toward your overall achievement points.

So what is the incentive to do the daily? In fact the daily points were one of the things that kept me playing every day.
Wonder if I will be on every day after the cap is in place?

JustTrogdor.7892

So what is the incentive to do the daily? In fact the daily points were one of the things that kept me playing every day.
Wonder if I will be on every day after the cap is in place?

Well you have to reach the cap first before it becomes an issue.

The Burninator

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I generally support the change. While I have some concerns that this change would mean new players basically couldn’t ever catch up to the top leaders on the Leaderboard, it does have two advantages:

1. There’s no need to obsessively grind out all the Daily/Monthly achievements. You’ll reach the cap one day.

2. ANet doesn’t have to keep creating new AP reward chests (and their unique rewards) ad infinitum.

For the record, I’m at 5.5k for Daily AP’s and 1k for Monthlies.

Posted by: AtlasSi.9130

AtlasSi.9130

2. ANet doesn’t have to keep creating new AP reward chests (and their unique rewards) ad infinitum.

Thats just lazy imo.

18 80s | 12 100% | r177 | wvw r970 | 9,000+ hours
BP → DR → FA → Mag → BP → FA

Posted by: Eravyn.7483

Eravyn.7483

Thanks JustTrogdor

Wiki shows up to 24,500 so far. http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Achievement_rewards

Sergoros.4398

I would agree with your reasoning IF the cap had been implemented at the start of the achievement point reward system and was known then. Instead, it is almost a year and a half later. I would wager that plenty of other people besides me made choices of how to spend their time and exactly what achievements to prioritize based on that reality.

I believe that the idea of a rolling soft cap of 5 a day beyond 10k is far more fair and would address everyone’s concerns without harming anyone. IE max dailies at patch becomes 10k, the next day max is 10,005, 2nd day 10,010 etc. This would allow you to miss days and still catch up. That way this isn’t a retroactive nerf on achievement hunters and people can still get at least some achievement point benefits from doing dailies.

There was no cap on salvage achiv at start. They nerfed it later, when some people started farming salvages and did get extreme amount of achiv out of it.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

Without the cap who would run for all Weapons master? No one. Well now maybe someone will (oh the grind, it’s unberable xD)

Why would you need to run for Weapon Masteries (or Slayer titles)? They practically do themselves on their own (barring the edge cases of Shield Mastery, or Plant/Giant slayer of course).

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Vercinorix.3021

Vercinorix.3021

There was no cap on salvage achiv at start. They nerfed it later, when some people started farming salvages and did get extreme amount of achiv out of it.

What I said “at the start of the achievement point reward system” was and remains accurate. There were no caps on repeatable achievements in the short time frame when there were no rewards attached to your overall total of APs earned. The time to put a cap on dailies and monthlies was then, NOT over a year later after thousands of hours of playtime has passed.

Sergoros.4398

What I said “at the start of the achievement point reward system” was and remains accurate. There were no caps on repeatable achievements in the short time frame when there were no rewards attached to your overall total of APs earned. The time to put a cap on dailies and monthlies was then, NOT over a year later after thousands of hours of playtime has passed.

Do you think it made it easier for some achive hunters to lose all the time they wasted in achiv farm? Some people even wasted gold to make as many salvage achivs as possible. And they they just cut it on 125. When some people already had thousands. So yeah…. Thats not first time they change it without asking anyone.

Posted by: Galowin.6089

Galowin.6089

so… didn’t feel like reading everything, so just skipped it all.
But as far as I know the reason to do dailies r the daily reward with possibility for bonus item like bl salvage kit/ bl key etc..

For Glade and Glory

Posted by: Pipra.7580

Pipra.7580

It is not really that much of an issue, now. When I hit the cap, which eventually I will if I keep playing, and there are still the achievement chests rewards that I want and it will take me longer, much longer, to get these rewards, then it will be an issue for me and anyone else like me.

Just because the cap is being set at one level now doesn’t mean that it won’t ever be changed or raised.

Worry about hitting the cap when you get there. Chances are it will be a moving target.

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

I’m a big supporter of the cap. At 11,500 AP and haven’t even broken 4k from daily achievements. I think have a 10k cap is more than fair.

I think the ones complaining about it aren’t even close to cap, they just don’t like the idea of someone telling them there’s a cap. Gotta stick it to da man and all that. /fist in air/

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….