On failing events purposely

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

I always try to do the event normally. I don’t think anyone “owns” the event. I simply want to complete it normally the few times I come across the event.

That said. It’s mostly a design flaw either way. The event chains that lead to a boss that’s on an arbitrary timer are generally broken in my opinion. If anything, the whole route should be a part of the “pre-events” and champions should simply instantly despawn on event failure. (Let them explode into multiple vets or something)

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

I would want others to play the game and enjoy it the way they wanted WITHOUT interfering with other people’s game play.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I would want others to play the game and enjoy it the way they wanted WITHOUT interfering with other people’s game play.

Not sure that is always possible in the current state of the game. People can’t complete an event without interfering with those who want it to fail. People can’t cause the event to fail without interfering with those who want it to succeed.

Morfedel.4165

Not sure that is always possible in the current state of the game. People can’t complete an event without interfering with those who want it to fail. People can’t cause the event to fail without interfering with those who want it to succeed.

I understand that. But someone trying to win an event isn’t usually actively and intentionally interfering with those wanting it to fail. The reverse isn’t quite as true.

Frankly they should make the rewards for both equally rewarding. My only concern is if success or failure effect other event chains, making a fix more complicated.

FrizzFreston.5290

All events are (or should be) designed to be rewarding when succesfully completed. Failure shouldn’t be rewarded unless there’s a specific reason the event should fail, like story.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

I find it interesting that many of the folks here apparently siding with the OP are condoning and encouraging the very same behavior they claim to be reporting.

Is it the players fault that re-taking a temple is more rewarding than holding it? And why is their definition of having fun (getting loot) somehow empirically less honorable or worthwhile than your definition of having fun (playing the game as you think it was intended)?

Maybe what those players should do in response to your desire to hold out is call in all of their friends to scale up the event without actually contributing to its defense. How would one or two parties fair against five champions at once?

I want to know why so many of you people who claim to be playing the game “the way it was intended to be played” insist on delivering all manner of grief on those players that aren’t playing it your way?

Let’s be clear here: Events (as per Anet) are meant to be played to succeed at them. Purposefully losing to game the system of rewards is exactly the opposite of playing the game as it was intended, yet when Anet fixes it so farmers no longer get rewards for failing they all complain. Stop. Gaming. The. System.

Frankly if I came across an event where someone rudely told my to F off because they wanted it to fail, I’d sit there and single-handedly complete the event time and time again until they re-mapped. Hey, just having fun in my own way right?

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Morfedel.4165

I find it interesting that many of the folks here apparently siding with the OP are condoning and encouraging the very same behavior they claim to be reporting.

Is it the players fault that re-taking a temple is more rewarding than holding it? And why is their definition of having fun (getting loot) somehow empirically less honorable or worthwhile than your definition of having fun (playing the game as you think it was intended)?

Maybe what those players should do in response to your desire to hold out is call in all of their friends to scale up the event without actually contributing to its defense. How would one or two parties fair against five champions at once?

I want to know why so many of you people who claim to be playing the game “the way it was intended to be played” insist on delivering all manner of grief on those players that aren’t playing it your way?

There is a huge difference. He was minding his own business playing the game. Another was rude and ordered him how to play instead.

If he had been going in first moment just to troll that would be another story. But that wasn’t the initial case.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

There is a huge difference. He was minding his own business playing the game. Another was rude and ordered him how to play instead.

If he had been going in first moment just to troll that would be another story. But that wasn’t the initial case.

and they know that he aint trolling how?

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

Ah yes, that is when you report them, stay in there and continue the fight. Screw them. They don’t like it tough. You are allowed the play the game how you want. Report them, ignore them and fight on.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

Posted by: Tere.4759

Tere.4759

I feel I must respond to this post in full to make an argument for the gamers getting falsely reported for verbal abuse for typing in a word that the game allows them to type in. This post will probably approach that line, but, it all needs to be said….

Today I wanted to complete the map at last, I entered Cursed Shore and just started regular wandering to get all the stuff explored.

Good for you! Hopefully you 100% the map and get on your way to a Legendary weapon!

I saw a Pact outpost overrun by the undead and an event to defend it. I rushed in and started to pew pew at the enemies.
Seconds after that I get a whisper “Get the f out there need to fail”.

Not sure he was trying to “Verbally Abuse” you if he also wrote in the “need to fail” part. He would have just said “Get the F out of there!” without explaining why at all. (That’s what I would have done if I were really wanting to “abuse” someone)

I was just shooting the undead, I did nothing to get the F part.
I backed off, even if this behaviour only encouraged me to do the opposite.
I told the player that maybe they could be nicer next time and reported them for verbal abuse, as I couldn’t think of a fitting category for such behaviour.

This is a game connected to the Internet. You’re going to hear a lot worse things in the game than an F word being thrown at you from time to time. Besides the fact that there is a profanity filter in the game. If it really offends you so much that someone would throw a word at you that doesn’t fit you’re perfect exacting standards of human morality, use the profanity filter! Its the third option in the Option Menu, right under Language. You can set it to maximum, which blocks a lot of stuff

I don’t know what difference is there in rewards, but soon after the event failed, a huge zerg flooded the outpost, now taken by enemies.
I suggest changes are made to this, I don’t wish to receive such impolite messages simply because I stumbled across an event during my exploration.

Difference is actually pretty large, which you would know if you asked the player why they told you to get out of the event instead of saying they weren’t nice and reporting them.

Just turn the profanity filter to maximum and go on your happy way playing the game, and don’t let the Zerg (That’s trying to play their way) bother you. And if there’s a case when someone actually does verbally abuse you (to the point they are actually going out of their way to make you feel bad and not just saying the second most common word on the internet), then report them! Otherwise, ignore that group of players and continue to play the game the way you want to play!

I suggest that things stay the way they are so both sides can continue to play how they want.

I just want to complete the map and take part in events if I happen to see any, without having to look over my shoulder that I may be disturbing a zerg wanting to fail for better rewards.

And they just want an event to fail so they can fight several Champions in one place and get the loot without having to play for an excruciatingly longer time for the same reward, and do it without having to watch a lone wolf run into the event without knowing (or pretending to not know) why there’s a zerg standing outside the event area. Neither way of playing seems more wrong than the other, until AFTER the point that the bad words get thrown around and the actual insults start. And its not always the zerg that’s guilty. I’ve read many slurs get thrown by the group of players (or solo player) wanting to do one thing instead of just ignoring the other side.

Seriously, turn on the language filter, give the other group of players the cold shoulder, and play the event anyways. Let Karma take care of the rest.

And I just have to say that you are totally and completely WRONG….WRONG……WRONG! If someone said that to me , I would do as I told the OP, report the offensive behavior, ignore the offensive person and fight on.

BTW, you ask like this. “Hello X, we are waiting for the event to fail so we can fight said bosses and get more X. Can you let it fail so we can do it and join us?”

There is a way to ask in a nice way or there is a way to demand. Someone demands something of me in any game, they won’t get it.

Guild Leader of The Black Court, we’re small, friendly and active.

(edited by Tere.4759)

Posted by: Brother Grimm.5176

Brother Grimm.5176

While there is no reason for a player to be immediately rude to a new contact, I think categorizing what was stated as “verbal abuse” is a bit of exaggeration. A single curse word (not describing or directed at the OP) is certainly rude, but not abusive. Get some thicker skin if you plan to traverse the idiot-net….

The game has a swear filter built in, so if the use of curse words “abuses” your ears, turn it on. Just for the record, I am NOT defending those that swear or curse in chat, just that calling what was said “verbal abuse” kind of diminishes what ACTUAL verbal abuse really is.

We go out in the world and take our chances
Fate is just the weight of circumstances
That’s the way that lady luck dances

(edited by Brother Grimm.5176)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

not even going to comment on the specifics.

No event in this game should be rewarding you for failing. That in and of it self is a design flaw.

Players should be actively encouraged to do events in the world, not watch the world burn.

No event in this game rewards you for failure.

Instead, what people are trying to do is to farm the event chain that follows the failure. In effect, 3-5 post-failure events offer better loot than a single successful defense.

And the issue is that people are actively encouraged to do events. Those wanting to watch the world burn are wanting to farm. The accident of the post-failure chain offering more total rewards is what causes the conflict.

And whenever this comes up, ANet has adjust the rewards, adjusted the timing of the restarting of the chain, or both. In every case, this has removed the inherent conflict (although not necessarily in a way that makes us happy — it’s hard to manage the balance, with the amount of dev time|testing required, and still keep the rewards/hour the same).

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

I understand that. But someone trying to win an event isn’t usually actively and intentionally interfering with those wanting it to fail. The reverse isn’t quite as true.

Frankly they should make the rewards for both equally rewarding. My only concern is if success or failure effect other event chains, making a fix more complicated.

That wouldnt change anything though. If failure is just as rewarding as success, people would STILL want to fail the event. That’s primarily due to most of those events being chains. With event chains, the “restart after failure” time is typically very short compared to when it’s succeeded. That was the case with teh blix farm or whatever that ebola plague was called. When people who accidentally complete it start being the target of hate speech, Anet’s going to step in and do what they did to it: drastically increased the time to restart on failures.

Truthfully, other events need to get the same treatment.

Morfedel.4165

and they know that he aint trolling how?

So let me get this straight. A group of people are waiting for an event to fail and some random person runs in to do the event, you’re honestly going to assume that person is trolling?

Even if they are, I don’t believe doing an in-game event as it was intended regardless of the reason is actionable. If I was also being verbally abusive then THAT is actionable, but doing the event itself, regardless of reason, isn’t.

Especially when it’s being done as intended.

(edited by Morfedel.4165)

Posted by: fireflyry.7023

fireflyry.7023

Dust it off and move on.

Certain players find new ways every day to break or twist the games mechanics or intended gameplay function(s) purely for greed or their own selfish gain/motivations. It’s an unfortunate side-effect of any game that involves so much grind. Most of this game revolves around repetition of content as quickly and efficiently as possible. You mess with that…peeps get kittened.

I doubt Anet care much or will ever change it, if they did the same issue would just pop up somewhere else.

You’ll get used to adjusting your chat and online/away/invis status to the point where such people are simply unable to taint or influence your experience at all. I find in most MMO’s it’s often more effective to be proactive as opposed to defensive with such things.

I assume you don’t pvp op.

If your having adventurer problems I feel bad for you son, I dodged 99 arrows till my knee took one.

Posted by: Bloodstealer.5978

Bloodstealer.5978

“oh you want the event to fail and be belligerent about it … no problem”

/guild hey gang! those of you with tags wp to [waypoint] and turn them on

And that is exactly what began to happen with the Blix exploit.. an ANTI Failtrain began to emerge, map toxicity increased until Cursed Shore became nothing more than a FailWars2 mini game.

Same thing materialise in Frostgorge at Coil event… and so it will continue until ANET pull their heads out of their backsides and put some proper development time into creating an event structure that has properly thought through fail/succeed mechanics /rewards.
Bottom line is that failing events purposely should never allow said events to be reset so quickly and certainly should not be more rewarding than actually succeeding in any event.. its just poor game design period!
But ANET simply allow their game to be farmconsumed.

As for the foul mouth “do as I say” numpties.. just block, report and carry on doing what your doing. If ANET take action on you for trying to complete and event.. well that will surely say all you ever wish to know about the game.

Posted by: Aerlen.5326

Aerlen.5326

Gonna be honest, you tell me “need event to fail for champs, stop” then I’m going to stop and farm champs with you. Not wordy, no use of please, but not hostile either. The minute you act like a jerk to me when I’ve given you no real reason, I’m going to continue to do whatever doesn’t benefit you.

Also – do people not recall this is what gets farms nerfed? No one really reports a nice farm en masse but the toxic rude ones get reported by the dozens and fixed/eliminated. It benefits farmers to be nice and take the high road.

~Tarnished Coast Pride~

Forever known as “that slow guardian who can’t jump worth crap”.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

The natural course of a game. is to succeed. I’m sure if the OP had known the general consensus of the community is to fail that particular event, they wouldn’t have tried to complete it. We have too many veteran players who assume everybody knows everything, and if they do something differently they’re doing it out of malice. This is why, instead of being hostile, you should take a moment to whisper an explanation.

My concern isn’t with the f word at all; even without that word, the tone was hostile. I would have reported them with or without that word. It’s just as easy to say “please stop, we want to fail,” then follow up with an explanation about rewards and event respawns.

Posted by: Xbon.9086

Xbon.9086

looks like an inherent design flaw, is this why every point is always contested in orr? >:|

Posted by: Chrispy.5641

Chrispy.5641

And I just have to say that you are totally and completely WRONG….WRONG……WRONG! If someone said that to me , I would do as I told the OP, report the offensive behavior, ignore the offensive person and fight on.

BTW, you ask like this. “Hello X, we are waiting for the event to fail so we can fight said bosses and get more X. Can you let it fail so we can do it and join us?”

There is a way to ask in a nice way or there is a way to demand. Someone demands something of me in any game, they won’t get it.

With my most humble of regrets sir or madam, I must inform you of just how stupendously WRONG….WRONG…..WRONG you really are. I kindly request that you understand, that the most dishonorable of words, please, is a like word of desire, a like word of impulse, a like word of compulsion, a like word of duress, a like word of force, a like word of command, a like word of demand. To the enlightened mind, it would establish reason that such a polite sentence that contains that most dishonorable of words is, indisputably without a shadow of an uncertainty, a demand. When you ask a man politely, you are in a matter of fact, demanding something of them, no matter if you ask utilizing that most dishonorable of words, or if you ask by giving a command, or if you use words that are not considered polite. They are all means to such an end, and while many among our most intelligent species must make a point that some words are distasteful, yet others are in perfectly good taste, and others want to point out how utterly wrong a word is in one situation, and perfectly normal the next, very few among us care to know the difference between an idea from a spoken word and the often misinterpreted social definition of a word in a book.

I very much enjoyed this most helpfully intellectual discussion with you sir or madam. Let us perhaps do it again sometime when you can reason even a slight explanation for why I am more incorrect than you are?

Posted by: A Volcano.2510

A Volcano.2510

I think it is always correct to just “play the game” and I think farmers need to back off and let people play the game.

FrizzFreston.5290

While I think reporting for every swear word is kind of pointless, it’s never wrong to report it if you feel that is the right thing to do. In the end ArenaNet is the one taking action on it or not, and I really doubt that one whisper is going to turn them into Banhammer mode.

So, while the meaning of asking someone with or without swear word might be very much the same, using a swearword is more hostile (subjectively) and thus invokes more defensive counter reactions. In the end, it’s an emotional reaction. People react differently to different words and while you can ignore that because you know the meaning of the sentence isn’t that much different, it doesn’t mean that other people are falsely reporting someone.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

No event in this game should be rewarding you for failing. That in and of it self is a design flaw.

Players should be actively encouraged to do events in the world, not watch the world burn.

No event in this game rewards you for failure.

Instead, what people are trying to do is to farm the event chain that follows the failure. In effect, 3-5 post-failure events offer better loot than a single successful defense.

And the issue is that people are actively encouraged to do events. Those wanting to watch the world burn are wanting to farm. The accident of the post-failure chain offering more total rewards is what causes the conflict.

And whenever this comes up, ANet has adjust the rewards, adjusted the timing of the restarting of the chain, or both. In every case, this has removed the inherent conflict (although not necessarily in a way that makes us happy — it’s hard to manage the balance, with the amount of dev time|testing required, and still keep the rewards/hour the same).

It’s indirect, but its still rewarding you for failing to defend.

It’s that simple.

Instead of going with the design that each successful defense ramped up the challenge of the next, (ie more mobs, more loot to tag). They went the route of players per area scaling. Players per area is fine only for assault phases where you are looking to seize control. Defense should scale based on time held and players per area.

The loot and gold gain/karma gain etc… should also be far greater in defense phases to motivate more players to come do the events.

Posted by: Balgus.3468

Balgus.3468

Just play the way you want to play. I get that message a lot from other players hoping to fail an event, and I just keep going. If I succeed, they just gotta wait til the next time the event pops up again. What’s the point of playing a game if you don’t get to experience everything the game has to offer? If victory of an event is what you want to feel, then you shouldn’t be obligated to anyone to fail on purpose. If they wanna fail, that’s their prerogative, and they can wait for the failure when you’re not in the area because you don’t know them and you don’t owe them anything.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

It’s that simple.

Nothing in this game is “that simple.” The original game design encourages people to complete events as they find them. People hoping to increase their rewards per hour have found ways to game that system, which has created a conflict in some spots. That’s an unexpected nuance and is hardly “simple” to adjust.

Should ANet offer a huge reward for the defense event, far exceeding that found in other events? Should they nerf the loot drops from foes in the recapture chain to lower the rewards, far below what they are elsewhere (and creating confusion about which foes drop loot, and whether Magic Find is worth it)? Should they increase the delay after failure so that the loot per hour balances better (which means closing off temples to people who want the services longer)?

Each approach has downsides and costs ANet resources, so they are going to limit themselves to revisiting events|rewards only when necessary. Sometimes, this doesn’t happen until there’s some other change in the game.

For example, the Coiled Watch event chains always offered a ton of champs if scaled up & deliberate failure (to farm such champs) was always more rewarding than succeeding. Except, this went completely unnoticed by event FGS champ farmers until the living story made aspects of this chain attractive for other reasons. Eventually a few people started publicizing the phat loot possibilities and people started farming it, putting farmers in contention with those trying to complete LS achievements. ANet changed the the timing on when the events would reset and rescaled the number of loot-bearing champs that would spawn, which ended the contention. It’s still somewhat more rewarding to fail the chain and retry rather than to succeed, but the total reward for doing either keeps it from being more attractive than other types of farms.

tl;dr it’s not that simple; it requires a nuanced approach to balance rewards.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Charrbeque.8729

Charrbeque.8729

The OP did the right thing reporting the player for verbal abuse.

It has been clearly spelled out many times.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Just-want-to-clarify-a-ban/first#post2944417

Gaile Gray: The Name and Word filter is put in place and upheld by our community and our company as a means for players to try to protect themselves from offensive language. It’s existence, for those who do not observe our Rules of Conduct or our User Agreement, is not a line of defense to protect against administrative action taken on the account of the person who is in breach of these binding rules or agreements.

As I have said many hundreds of times on these forums, as the official position of ArenaNet: The Word and Name Filter is not a license to swear. Let’s put it this way: You may have guarantees that protect your freedom of speech as afforded by your national government. That guarantee does not give you the right to yell “fire” in a crowded theatre, or to verbally abuse a person in a public setting. In our game, the existence of a filter does not give you license to use offensive, racist, sexually explicit, or verbally abusive language in our game.
[snip]

And keep this in mind also
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/support/support/Ban-for-saying-the-F-word-once-in-map-chat/first#post2559776

Gaile Gray: Anyone who has been around this forum for any amount of time knows that we have detailed game records, and we’re not going to accept bogus claims like, “I only said something one time!”

ArenaNet’s stance on failing events is this:
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/About-that-blix-exploit/page/5#post4318436

Chris Cleary:

There are really two sides to this, and when it comes down to it, you are both right – and you are both wrong. Both sides have the right to complete the task that they set out to do (completing or not completing).

Challenging another player’s play style is the issue here, and since this revolved around an event that was designed to be completed, it is being changed so that the original design of the event can be carried out.

When something in the game (such as this event) changes negatively as this has, we need to step in and remediate the toxicity. The byproduct of this change happens to be that a champion farm is being slowed, but since that was the originating factor for the toxicity, it’s unavoidable.

I encourage players to remember that not everyone has the same goals when they play, and sometimes they will clash.

Basically, players have a right to fail an event and also a right to complete it. But some players go out of their way to complete events to screw over the farmers who are failing it (a form of trolling). Verbal abuse ends up happening and if things get out of hand ArenaNet will wind up nerfing the event because players can’t play nicely. It happened with the Blix farm and Coiled Watch. Both events wound up being nerfed because of the hostility between players who wanted to complete them and players who wanted to farm them by failing the events.

There’s something charming about rangers.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Ummm I just have to say that the profanity filter being in the game does NOT make it right or legit to swear AT people. Sure people can turn it off if they easily get offended but then they miss out on seeing swearing that may be used in legit ways. Such as swearing about something bad happening to you like “oh f I just killed myself after jumping off that mountain when grabbing that POI”.

So again I say (and im pretty sure this is anet’s view) having the filter in game does NOT make it fine to swear AT or abuse other people. Well this is how I view it and darn tootin right I will report you if you decide it’s in your best interests to swear at me. In fact I have reported and blocked several people already who have treated me in this way. Yes of course they were ALL pvpers from the pvp lobby/games.

Some people need to remember that this game is a game and NOT to take it so seriously, it’s not the end of the world if an event fails/succeeds or if your team loses. Getting upset enough to swear AT someone else is never ok. Expect to be reported or responded back in the same manner.

Edit: To address the OP here in this case the swear was used to be either a: Authoritative or B: Bullying/controlling of another person or his actions. In both cases the person who sent the whisper is in the wrong here. End of story. He has no more power/right over weather an event should succeed or fail than the person he sent the message to. Bullying, is never ok and no one will like/accept it, especially online.

Summary: if you want people to play nice and your way, use your head and be NICE TOWARDS them and who knows it just might work! O.O

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

(edited by Paulytnz.7619)

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

I don’t think ANET cares about Cursed Shore anymore. Events occasionally bugged out, NPCs that are suppose to start events bugged out…etc…

Actually, defending is less rewarding then retaking the location. Melandru and Grenth are two location that gives better or more loots if you are trying to take it back compared to defending them.

Arah is a mixed bag when defending. But people are QQing in map chat when some people are defending Arah. Then they threaten they will defend Melandru and Grenth so that people will not be able to get more loot from retaking the event until people stop defending Arah.
There are some people who says Arah defending is more rewarding.
Another locatio is Jofast Camp. Players on Map chat are telling other players to let the event fail. And if you managed to def it, then the QQing starts about they just cause the zerg or many players x amount of gold…..etc

This is Cursed Shore. Where many players can’t play how they want to play. Events have to fail so that players can get more loot…etc….

Posted by: BIGHARSHNESS.3510

BIGHARSHNESS.3510

The Juggernaut in Sparkfly Fen is the best example of this.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Soon enough, whatever event chain this is will be changed to be less farmable, unless the people who are farming it (finally) learn that ANet reacts badly to misbehavior in the form of using profanity to get their way. However, people really don’t seem to get it — no matter how many farms get nerfed because of conflicts between players.

No matter how much people think they may be justified, ANet is not concerned about these justifications. They’re concerned about appearances, and about removing conflicts between players that result in reports their personnel have to investigate. Continue with using profanity to intimidate others to get your way and you’re digging the grave for whatever farm you’re trying to protect. If you don’t believe me, look at the game’s history, for kitten’s sake.

Try thinking beyond the next moment where you might get a few champ bags to whether you want the farm to be available next bloody week for a change, if you can. ANet is not your best friend. They’re not going to side with you because “farming.” They’re going to look at numbers of reports and what it costs them to investigate and the impression these occurrences make on people who just wander in, like the OP.

Wake the kitten up, for kittens sake.

• Disclaimer: all appearances of the word kitten in this post were typed in as k-i-t-t-e-n, not the actual disapproved word you might substitute. While this post may appear to be satire or something else, it really isn’t. Wake the kitten up and look at what’s happening. Look at the history and think about why Anet has nerfed farm after farm after farm where player interests about completing content have collided.

That’s all.

#thosewhocannotrememberthepastarecondemnedtorepeatit

Then why design the game so focused on rewards (looking at the requirements for crafting, and the majority of “end game” content, its obvious how they see content longevity), and not take those reward outputs into consideration?

While impoliteness is inexcusable, when the game design promotes a specific set of behaviors, “trolling” by definition becomes anything/anyone intentionally interfering with it. So succeeding an event is therefore at odds with the reward system they base their game meta around, ergo making event completion an act of trolling or interference.

This problem isn’t new by any means. Since Day 1, Orr events are heavily lop sided in rewards due to the nature of drop tables. So much so, they converted to a new system with Drytop and silverwastes to devalue the mob drop tables, mostly by making event mobs have no droptable at all, and placing it all on an event chest.

The Orr events are based on original scripting that will NEVER be retrofitted, nor their current buginess fixed, because Anet development is apparently incapable of changing it. I don’t mean “incapable” as a derogatory jab….. I mean literally incapable as in no person working on the game understands the legacy system sufficiently to make the changes needed. I think the only reason it was never gutted was due to the time and effort needed to rebuild under the new event chest rewards.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Then why design the game so focused on rewards (looking at the requirements for crafting, and the majority of “end game” content, its obvious how they see content longevity), and not take those reward outputs into consideration?

At a guess? For the same reason other MMO’s do, and which ANet seems to have thought would not apply to their MMO because theirs would be fun to play. They’ve since been told many times that, absent rewards, players will only repeat the same thing so many times. They cannot keep up with the pace of new content demands, so they resort to rewards to sweeten repetition.

While impoliteness is inexcusable, when the game design promotes a specific set of behaviors, “trolling” by definition becomes anything/anyone intentionally interfering with it. So succeeding an event is therefore at odds with the reward system they base their game meta around, ergo making event completion an act of trolling or interference.

I would rather say that game design hasn’t caught up yet. It seems from ANet statements that events were designed to be completed and that players failing them because of better rewards was unexpected back when events were designed. Which side loses out whenever these conflicts erupt, the event-completers or the farmers? That right there says that they still want the events to be completed.

This problem isn’t new by any means. Since Day 1, Orr events are heavily lop sided in rewards due to the nature of drop tables. So much so, they converted to a new system with Drytop and silverwastes to devalue the mob drop tables, mostly by making event mobs have no droptable at all, and placing it all on an event chest.

And at a guess, HoT will be more like DT and SW than Orr.

The Orr events are based on original scripting that will NEVER be retrofitted, nor their current buginess fixed, because Anet development is apparently incapable of changing it. I don’t mean “incapable” as a derogatory jab….. I mean literally incapable as in no person working on the game understands the legacy system sufficiently to make the changes needed. I think the only reason it was never gutted was due to the time and effort needed to rebuild under the new event chest rewards.

I also expect no changes to drop tables and event rewards on legacy maps — whatever the reason. This is, of course, why the fix for these issues is usually lengthening of the event respawn timer after a failure, and why I suggested that farmers look at and learn from the history.

Posted by: Basandra Skye.4031

Basandra Skye.4031

They have altered events in Orr before. As for whether it’s a “legacy” system, unless Anet’s called it that, or you’re a former/current dev, it’s rather hard to say whether they dont have anyone working on it, or will have someone working on it.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

They have altered events in Orr before. As for whether it’s a “legacy” system, unless Anet’s called it that, or you’re a former/current dev, it’s rather hard to say whether they dont have anyone working on it, or will have someone working on it.

Altered how? So far the only scripting changes I’ve seen made are inserted conditionals at the start or end of individual events to let them insert extra timers. I’ve yet to see any significant changes to any of the event scripting.

At best they changed Grenth’s temple. But all that was, was changing the Corruption debuff from “Down on 25 stacks” to a X% damage reduction modifier. Nothing else about the event was changed.

I would wager that any significant changes to any of the Orr events were all single item modifications, and no scripting or mechanical changes.

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

Swearing doesn’t add emphasis to anything, it’s just plain rude and usually serves only to insult people or pick fights.

Basically, yeah.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

This is an important issue. Events do not reward participation properly.

Someone instrumental towards the success of the event may not even get a bronze badge, while someone who merely runs around spamming some large aoe cleave will get tons of stuff even if the event fails.

When assaulting towers, someone rushing to kill the lord will get guaranteed bags and materials and stuff, someone holding the enemy by the door get none of that. They may not even get participation in the event if they do not manage to kill an NPC or player before the rushes kill the lord.

There’s even player who will fail events on purpose to generate more drops. And they have been doing this for so long that they have grown so accustomed to such aberrant behavior, that they consider it normal, when it’s completely absurd.

That is simply inadmissible. Contribution and success are the things that must be rewarded, not laziness and mindlessness.

There’s only one way to solve this across the board:

• Transfer all drops from enemies spawned by events to the success of the event. No enemy in the entire game will drop anything if it’s spawned by a mission, event or other content with a plot. Drops would not disappear, but they will no longer be in the enemies. The ‘drops’ will be delayed to the end of the event, up to a cap, and delivered to players only if the event success. When the event ends, players will get the unclaimed loot panel with all the drops assigned to them by the event. Players will not know the cap so they don’t just kill the precise number of enemies, then leave. The unclaimed loot panel will also keep the drops even if they disconnect, even if the event finished after they disconnected, as long as they contributed enough towards success.
  • Give more and better rewards at the end of the event, only on success, based on participation and contribution towards success. This will include things like giving support to NPCs other than reviving, and also giving support to players doing tasks that count towards the event (e.g.: Protecting someone carrying some bundle that disables weapon skills). A revenant keeping alive 2 guys fighting a champion with ventari and staff would get as much rewards as the two guys that did the most of the damage.
SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

(edited by MithranArkanere.8957)