One Ranger Longbow Change I love

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

So I was out in the world testing out the new longbow changes, and I hit rapid fire on a skritt, which died pretty fast. When I switched to the next target, my rapid fire continued firing, killing the second skritt as well. It used to cancel the skill.

I didn’t see this change in the patch notes, but it’s been a long time in coming.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

So I was out in the world testing out the new longbow changes, and I hit rapid fire on a skritt, which died pretty fast. When I switched to the next target, my rapid fire continued firing, killing the second skritt as well. It used to cancel the skill.

I didn’t see this change in the patch notes, but it’s been a long time in coming.

. . . wait, what?

I want to try now. (Grabs longbow and gets back on)

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

This used to happen sometimes where if you killed the target the skill would still keep firing and would hit anything in it’s path. I think it stops if you actually select a target and it didn’t happen much before because the dps was half what it is now.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

I haven’t played any of my rangers yet. This’ll happen after work.

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Was playing my ranger tonight…but didn’t try this out. Definitely gonna give that a shot. Thanks.

Posted by: OrcasWorld.3271

OrcasWorld.3271

Was playing my ranger tonight…but didn’t try this out. Definitely gonna give that a shot. Thanks.

pun intended?

Posted by: Elothar.4382

Elothar.4382

Thanks for the compliment…but I am not that quick-witted. But thanks for thinking the best of me…

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

The ranger changes are a nice step in the right direction for the class. Not quite there yet, but some nice forward movement.

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

LB changes + BM traits changes + signet changes+ SoB replacment GM trait make ranger pretty nice in all but PVE 5-man instances (dungeon/fractals). fix frost spirit, and ranger is in a better place then i ever thought it could be.

rnager players are the absolute winners of this patch (so far…can’t help but think the QQ will result in a unnecessary nerf).

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

You actually get the LB on character creation now (am currently testing the new levelling experience with a ranger). Which is nice.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Relshdan.6854

You actually get the LB on character creation now (am currently testing the new levelling experience with a ranger). Which is nice.

nice.

they actually/finally made ranger “best range dps class”. ignoring all the other great buffs, that is a huge step, conceptually.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Tobias Trueflight.8350

LB changes + BM traits changes + signet changes+ SoB replacment GM trait make ranger pretty nice in all but PVE 5-man instances (dungeon/fractals). fix frost spirit, and ranger is in a better place then i ever thought it could be.

rnager players are the absolute winners of this patch (so far…can’t help but think the QQ will result in a unnecessary nerf).

Oh please, it’s just hilarious seeing people try to meta with ranger and Rapid Shot and get it so terribly wrong in WvW. On one, they failed to do significant damage on me due to some evades so they started running. I hit em with Winter’s Bite, and proceeded to chase him down. I had trouble getting the finish until he ran into a few people apparently looking for spoons.

By the way “Predator’s Onslaught” is really kind of neat

I don’t see a problem so much. Players trying to ride the meta like that are going to get washed out when they find out it doesn’t cut it.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

I’m liking the ranger stuff. I’ve actually logged a few hours just playing my ranger since the patch hit. I don’t feel like the longbow is very good, but it’s fun.
If they really want to impress rangers, they should put some work into the pets. AI is still terribly buggy and the f2 skill delay is still there.

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’m liking the ranger stuff. I’ve actually logged a few hours just playing my ranger since the patch hit. I don’t feel like the longbow is very good, but it’s fun.
If they really want to impress rangers, they should put some work into the pets. AI is still terribly buggy and the f2 skill delay is still there.

I haven’t had too much trouble with the pet F2, but I guess that’s because I taught myself how to work with it and not to rely on insta-cast too much from them. It’s not as good as my GW1 pet control in some aspects, but in others it works pretty well.

Relshdan.6854

Oh please, it’s just hilarious seeing people try to meta with ranger and Rapid Shot and get it so terribly wrong in WvW. On one, they failed to do significant damage on me due to some evades so they started running. I hit em with Winter’s Bite, and proceeded to chase him down. I had trouble getting the finish until he ran into a few people apparently looking for spoons.

By the way “Predator’s Onslaught” is really kind of neat

I don’t see a problem so much. Players trying to ride the meta like that are going to get washed out when they find out it doesn’t cut it.

no need to be snarky.
i get that you are a great player and never lose.

point is…….ranger got some really nice buffs that can be counter played by dodging, blocking, reflecting, etc.

this is what balance passes should do.

that said, if the LB ranger gets the range burst on you to open fight….better hope he can’t melee.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Tobias Trueflight.8350

no need to be snarky.

Nope, I lose a lot. That’s how I learn how not to do things.

point is…….ranger got some really nice buffs that can be counter played by dodging, blocking, reflecting, etc.

I’m okay with that. Mostly because these are things which should be considered rather than ignored in favor of “nerf dis plz”.

that said, if the LB ranger gets the range burst on you to open fight….better hope he can’t melee.

Well, that’s what Point Blank Shot is for

Relshdan.6854

no need to be snarky.

Nope, I lose a lot. That’s how I learn how not to do things.

I’m okay with that. Mostly because these are things which should be considered rather than ignored in favor of “nerf dis plz”.

lol…

/15 characters

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

No, I’m pretty sure it’s entire purpose is to troll people in PvE.

“Oh hey guys. Can’t help noticing you’re trying to melee down that mob. Let me be of assistance”
-Blasts mob down the street with BPS, much to the delight of players around him-
“Goodness how clumsy of me!”

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Relshdan.6854

No, I’m pretty sure it’s entire purpose is to troll people in PvE.

“Oh hey guys. Can’t help noticing you’re trying to melee down that mob. Let me be of assistance”
-Blasts mob down the street with BPS, much to the delight of players around him-
“Goodness how clumsy of me!”

lol…..so many angry map/say chats after a ranger knocks mobs/ champs out of AoE.

that skill (and all KB skills) should not be lvl-gated….but require a common-sense test to pass.

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Fernling.1729

I haven’t had too much trouble with the pet F2, but I guess that’s because I taught myself how to work with it and not to rely on insta-cast too much from them. It’s not as good as my GW1 pet control in some aspects, but in others it works pretty well.

I’ve adjusted to knowing that there will be that delay, but it’s still a bit annoying. Is that delay intentional?

Posted by: Sokia.3710

Sokia.3710

vE.
lol…..so many angry map/say chats after a ranger knocks mobs/ champs out of AoE.

As someone who used to play ranger a lot, it’s pretty much impossible to use PBS in PvE. It seems that no matter when you use the skill, or how rarely, someone will pretty much always use their strongest channel or AoE right when you fire the shot. I got to the point where I would almost never use it, and then I’d see someone about to take a hit and I’d think “now is the time to use PBS” and as soon as I press my button some warrior starts channeling Hundred Blades.

I mean, it’s like the game is designed to hate PBS in PvE. You’re probably better off never using it unless you are solo. Out of all of the times I’ve used PBS in a group, it has almost always hindered the group more than helped. It can be very useful in WvWvW mode, though. But in PvE it’s almost entirely useless.

Relshdan.6854

vE.

As someone who used to play ranger a lot, it’s pretty much impossible to use PBS in PvE. It seems that no matter when you use the skill, or how rarely, someone will pretty much always use their strongest channel or AoE right when you fire the shot. I got to the point where I would almost never use it, and then I’d see someone about to take a hit and I’d think “now is the time to use PBS” and as soon as I press my button some warrior starts channeling Hundred Blades.

I mean, it’s like the game is designed to hate PBS in PvE. You’re probably better off never using it unless you are solo. Out of all of the times I’ve used PBS in a group, it has almost always hindered the group more than helped. It can be very useful in WvWvW mode, though. But in PvE it’s almost entirely useless.

its nice for doing your interrupt daily…but yes….you should never use it unless you are solo trying to complete you LB kills achievement….or removing defiance from a boss

MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I’ve adjusted to knowing that there will be that delay, but it’s still a bit annoying. Is that delay intentional?

Not intentional, just a byproduct of the coding from what I heard. And fixing it to work “properly instant” ran into trouble with the code behaving so . . .

Pets are a mess and will probably be a mess until they overhaul the AI engine entirely. And I think they did bring someone on the team to do AI work so . . . fingers crossed! This may be the first game to make me not want to murder my own pets

Tobias Trueflight.8350

….or removing defiance from a boss

That’s exactly what I use it for, when I really want the range of the longbow instead of the close-up range of shortbow (Concussion Shot is, yes, awesome.) And there are a few times I really really want the range. (Risen Abominations….)

zenleto.6179

Its also good to get rid of mobs pawing over a downed player. Its very situational.

Fernling.1729

So I’m a bit disappointed by this. When the patch hit and this thread was made rapid fire was indeed working like said in this tread. Playing my ranger now and it is no longer doing it. I thought it was really nice change.
I guess it was a bug that was fixed?

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I don’t think it was an intended function. It’s clearly a single target channel skill and none of the others can switch target mid-cast.

zenleto.6179

I’ve just been playing mine and I haven’t seen a change.

Though possibly I wasn’t really concentrating.

Posted by: narwhalsbend.7059

narwhalsbend.7059

I hate that one ranger can kill me with one use of “Rapid Fire”.

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

I hate that one ranger can kill me with one use of “Rapid Fire”.

LOL , you need to watch n dodge/reflect , l2p issue you have

[WM]give us in game ladder