One Time Events: Keep Them!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Emosewa.9731

Emosewa.9731

I realize there are lots of complaints about one time events, and people crying about missing it, etc. But one time events accomplish what no other idea I’ve seen put forth, and no other game on the market achieves at this point. That is the gathering together of truly massive amounts of people on an epic scale to achieve a singular goal together.

If you make an event repeatable, no matter how cool the event is, you will never get that many people together in this day and age to do it…and because of that, the event becomes less epic.

I understand that some people don’t like an event with masses of people. Fine. There are plenty of other events and things to do that don’t have masses of people. I understand that some people are upset that they couldn’t make it when they wanted to…that’s understandable, but not a good enough reason to stop them. I missed a massive Halloween party this year that I really wanted to go to because I had to work…am I asking these people to never put on that massive party again because I couldn’t make it?

There will be other parties, you will make it to some and not make it to others.

The bottom line is there is no other way to achieve what a one time event achieves, and the sacrifices are worth it. In the end, it’s one event. They also added an entire new dungeon for those that want to do that. There are new events that do repeat. There’s a new jumping puzzle, if that’s your thing, etc. This is the second massive patch since release…already…both were different and had different things to offer. There will be another patch in December, I’m sure, with other new stuff and ideas.

If loot envy is the issue…good god…grow up. There will be other chances for loot and precursors. They’ve even said there will be new ways to GET precurors. Personally, and I’m sorry on this account ANet, the legendary weapon skins are all horribly ugly. And they’re just that…skins basically, because the stats are the same as other weapons available in the game. If you want a my little pony bow so badly that missing one chance to get one is causing you to lose sleep…then…just…wow. Even the most sought after…Sunrise and Twilight…look in use like a 5 year old finger painting.

But I digress…

If people can go do an event later, another day, put it off until tomorrow, then many will. Until someone can fathom an idea to achieve what a one time event does, without making it one time, losing them would be a shame.

Posted by: ProphetSword.5427

ProphetSword.5427

The one time events are awesome, and I hope they keep doing them. I just hope they work out the kinks in the system and reduce the number of bugs. There were some issues with the Lost Shores events that made it run far less smoothly than the Halloween events.

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Generally only about 20% of the player base is playing during the prime time (about a 4 hour period), where as the other 80% are playing at various other times. Literally with these one time events, they are missing a huge portion of their player base. There shouldn’t be one time events, they need to have them happen over several days and repeat several times through out each day. Arenanet shouldn’t be making content that literally a minority of their player base is actually able to participate.

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

Didnt participate myself but it was described to me by a friend, its sounded truly awesome and its great that there are “unique” experiences that not every one has.

Keep them, it keeps me thrilled about the game and i will definitely be there next time.

eisberg.2379

Didnt participate myself but it was described to me by a friend, its sounded truly awesome and its great that there are “unique” experiences that not every one has.

Keep them, it keeps me thrilled about the game and i will definitely be there next time.

I’m going to quote someone else here:
“The better question is WHY, in a game genre with persistent worlds, 24/7 gameplay, people in time zones all over the world, people with varying schedules and play time, would you EVER have events that occur one time at specific times that works for a small number of players?”

Hopefully Arenanet gets enough feedback and data to show that they really need to make sure their events can include the vast majority of the player base, in other words, get rid of the one time event, have it repeatable, and have it repeatable over a matter of days.

Posted by: ArcTheFallen.7682

ArcTheFallen.7682

“The better question is WHY, in a game genre with persistent worlds, 24/7 gameplay, people in time zones all over the world, people with varying schedules and play time, would you EVER have events that occur one time at specific times that works for a small number of players?”

Hopefully Arenanet gets enough feedback and data to show that they really need to make sure their events can include the vast majority of the player base, in other words, get rid of the one time event, have it repeatable, and have it repeatable over a matter of days.

It would lose it’s uniqueness and people who could make all of those days would get a lot of good rewards, so they’d have to dumb down rewards…..andd…..then we have another complaint thread about rewards.

Suggestion: People who want to do the event for fun…Anet could add some lore and give us an Asuran NPC who will allow you to time-travel and stop a time traveler from starting the events again such as Halloween or the Karka attack and you do the event with no or very small rewards. But if you are doing it for the rewards…not a good reason for them to make it more than one-time because there will ALWAYS be people who can’t make it. But the people who can should deserve a good experience. For those who can’t…just get over it and wait for the next one. I wish I could go to all the free events in the world and get free stuff, but I can’t. Life moves on and you make it to whatever you can make it to.

[VZ] Sky Avalon – Guardian (Main)
Master of all Professions
sPvP Rank Dragon – 8 Champ Titles – Ruby Division

eisberg.2379

It would lose it’s uniqueness and people who could make all of those days would get a lot of good rewards, so they’d have to dumb down rewards…..andd…..then we have another complaint thread about rewards.

Suggestion: People who want to do the event for fun…Anet could add some lore and give us an Asuran NPC who will allow you to time-travel and stop a time traveler from starting the events again such as Halloween or the Karka attack and you do the event with no or very small rewards. But if you are doing it for the rewards…not a good reason for them to make it more than one-time because there will ALWAYS be people who can’t make it. But the people who can should deserve a good experience. For those who can’t…just get over it and wait for the next one. I wish I could go to all the free events in the world and get free stuff, but I can’t. Life moves on and you make it to whatever you can make it to.

First of all, they can make the rewards the same, but only allow you to get it once, no matter how often you do it. People who pay for this game, and continue to pay for the game also deserve a good experience, and since Arenanet mentioned before they scheduled the events based on when the most people are on, that means people who can never play during the prime time, which is actually the majority of the players who can’t, have nothing to look forward to. Arenanet, if they don’t change it, will be catering to the minority for no real reason at all.

The very idea of one time events in an MMO is the worse idea ever, again will quote someone else

and MMO content should not be based on prime time play, since the majority of the player base actually doesn’t play during the prime time.

Posted by: KeeVasha.5874

KeeVasha.5874

My opinion..
Keep them – BUT start a test server to iron out the bugs first please! I couldn’t participate in hardly anything, because…. I was in LA que for so long I missed most everything.
Suggestion.. do something about that que also please.. thanks!

Never seperate the life you lead.. from the ‘words’ you speak

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

I see the gathering of massive amounts of people to be a drawback of one time events, not a plus. GW2 events can not handle massive amounts of people. Events are much more fun with a smaller number. Anything over 10-20 people and events become more about mob tagging and dealing with lag and culling than about participating in the event.

One-time events do not respect the player’s time. I see no reason why an event can not be run multiple times over the course of a few days. I don’t see what you lose by running an event multiple times. What you gain is more people having a chance to participate and experience the event first hand.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: Keiran.1896

Keiran.1896

One Time Events is an idea that they had already for a long time before release – just read the collector conception book, there’s a little passage about this.

Well I think that it was a very nice idea, but it encountered severals problems.
- Lag (massive amounts of players gathered on one place).
- Crashs, probably same reasons (didn’t get my reward because of crash on Ancient Karka)
- Rushed content (no map completion in Southsun Cove? why so small? but graphictly beautiful, I have to say it).

Even considering these problems, I’m 100% for those events, but if they could boost a bit servers during them, that would avoid suchs crashes. Well, let’s consider it was a test, they got datas now.

Posted by: Rakhar.4615

Rakhar.4615

Just dropping in to agree, I love the special events like this in any MMO. The more the better. It really shows more thought than just tacking on a new repeatable event. Just because you miss out on one doesn’t mean you shouldn’t look forward to the next.

Emosewa.9731

I do think that they might have had time zone labeled servers at release, like many games…but I think they wanted the option of WvW going 24/7.

As far as WHY do it…I think I answered that:

1) There is no other way to get that many people together at one time to create an epic event. If you do it multiple times, people are not all going to show up at once, or far fewer. It might be possible to do it few enough times that there is a high likelyhood of filling an entire instance of the zone each time…since there were obviously a lot of overflows for this one.

2) If you do an event that changes the world…it’s far less cool, interesting, exciting, etc…to have it revert and then happen again.

And as far as complaints of paying customers…this was a FREE content patch. No one paid a dime for it. If they had released no patch in November, everyone would have gone on their merry way doing dungeons or whatever their content of choice is.

Part of creating an MMO is creating content of all types, even if some of that appeals or doesn’t to different people. This is one form of content that can’t really be achieved in any other way. Doing away with it just because some people couldn’t make it at that time…is absurd.

There is nothing that was gained by anyone doing the event that can’t be obtained in other ways. It was simply a fun event that was enjoyable if you could make it.

Posted by: Ba air.1372

Ba air.1372

I think these events show anything but a lot of thought. They didn’t think of the horrid lag? The loss of rewards or credit from disconnects from the lag? It doesn’t take a genius to figure out if you make it so everyone that wants to see something has to be there in a very, very narrow window, the lag and strain on the servers is going to be immense.

These events are glitchy to boot. For the Halloween one time event the Mad King never even showed up on my screen. My computer can run the game on high with no problems and my connection is solid, so there’s no reason he shouldn’t have showed up. With all setting down I shouldn’t have 5-15 second delay on everything I do to even see an event that I have no choice to see at a quieter time.

The events are not kind to a lot of the playerbase as it is. You aren’t going to get good feelings from many that can’t make it and chains of events make it so that if you miss one or two you’re still left out.

Heck, they don’t even seem that interesting. I only stuck around for the ancient karka because of the promise of a bag.

Emosewa.9731

I played on a laptop that’s not very high end and I had zero lag. I did turn off shadows which usually helps a lot with that sort of thing. I also play on WiFi and not a wired connection…and still no issues. I did have a friend that had some lag issues, but once he dropped the graphics down a bit he was fine.

The chain of events in the Ancient Karka was such that if you missed part of it you didn’t miss out on anything except the experience. Heck, the whole 2 and a half hours was only 2 or 3 events total.

Posted by: RamataKahn.4283

RamataKahn.4283

I think doing it once a week would attract enough players.

Posted by: Khallis.5708

Khallis.5708

one time events are stupid, sorry but people have responsibilities and are not going to base their lives around a video game.

I am glad you are 15 years old with not a care in the world so that you can be on the game at any time. however us adults have stuff to do and we can’t just drop those to play a stupid game.

Ba air.1372

I played on a laptop that’s not very high end and I had zero lag. I did turn off shadows which usually helps a lot with that sort of thing. I also play on WiFi and not a wired connection…and still no issues. I did have a friend that had some lag issues, but once he dropped the graphics down a bit he was fine.

The chain of events in the Ancient Karka was such that if you missed part of it you didn’t miss out on anything except the experience. Heck, the whole 2 and a half hours was only 2 or 3 events total.

I turned down my settings to nothing on a computer that can handle everything on high during moderate sized event without a hint of lag and my connection is really strong ethernet. This was not on my end, this was server side. Many, MANY people had this problem. Map and Say were full of people confused and complaining about the lag. Not in the forums, during the event itself. This was not a small amount of people effected by this issue that likely had all to do with too many people and mobs in one place. But we have no option to see this event without this lag because it is one time.

The experience was very meh and I doubt it would be any less meh without the lag. Map was full of people saying all they did while afking through a good portion of the event because it was dragging on so long.

I had missed the two events of the days previous so I didn’t really know what was going on other than a big something was being annoying again.

Posted by: Shayde.2564

Shayde.2564

Quite simply because players would farm it. There were already players getting 2-3 legendary precursors by jumping overflow queues. It messes with the economy when you give some players 300-600g/day.

Emosewa.9731

Hehehe…being angry at missing one event in a game…is basing your life off a video game. I and my 9 other friends in vent are all 40ish and enjoyed a lazy Sunday afternoon.

It’s too bad that many had issues with graphics turned down. All 10 of us had no problem in our overflow…and as I said…we are not on top end systems.

The bottom line is that if you missed the event, you missed nothing but some fun time. If you made the event, you hopefully had some fun…if you didn’t…don’t go next time.

There is no reasonable, adult reason to do away with these type events in their current form. That’s not to say it was perfect.

Posted by: Alloy.2839

Alloy.2839

I ran the special events for all 3 days. The only “loot” I got was 1 Karka skull, not exactly a big deal. The Sunday events however were great, I don’t believe there is a way to recreate that moment were the events to be repeated. Maybe it was just the right combination of people on the Southsun overflow, but the event chain really clicked. The battles were pitched and a few times our large group was reduced to 5 or 10 survivors sneaking around rezing the downed players while several Veteran Karka danced nearby. I only recall our group getting wiped once. I wish everyone who missed it could have been there. For me, the “zerg up the ramp” will be one of my memorable moments in gaming. Thanks GW2 and fellow warriors of Tyria.

Posted by: Mif.3471

Mif.3471

How about we keep one time events, but we put them on at 4am Monday US time.

Still sound appealing?

Tarnished Coast | Best cookies in all of Tyria

Posted by: lilcoffeebean.3149

lilcoffeebean.3149

I myself enjoyed the one time event, but I do understand the frustration of having them at the same time each time. It does exclude a lot of people and while someone is inevitably always going to be excluded it should not be the same groups each time. Someone has already mentioned running the event a few times a day (4 would suffice imo) but restrict the rewards to one per account (not character but account). Of course keep in mind this will tank the exotic/precursor market short term as it did yesterday, which will receive a lot of complaints I’m sure.

Please! This is supposed to be a happy occasion.
Let’s not bicker and argue over who killed who.
Lilcoffeebean~Yak’s Bend~Perfect Dark [PD]

Ba air.1372

Hehehe…being angry at missing one event in a game…is basing your life off a video game.
…..
There is no reasonable, adult reason to do away with these type events in their current form. That’s not to say it was perfect.

I find the first part so ironic as that is basically what Anet is asking people to do make SURE they can make these events to enjoy part of the storytelling and loot. Your options are: Miss it or cancel the obligation that makes you miss it. Who is basing their life off video games? I’m not mad at missing the other two events, I just think these events are stupid.

Reasonable, adult reasons:

- They exclude a lot of people, including those that are in the time zone that would enjoy it.
- They create a lot of lag, yes even if you personally didn’t have to face it, pretty much everyone in my overflow did.
- They aren’t unique if you can hop overflows to get the rewards again, so they aren’t even doing what they’re supposed to be doing as ~one time only~.
- If the uniqueness is the only real defense (any economic issues would be painfully easy to deal with by restricting rewards to once per account) and even that isn’t working for them, there’s no reason to keep them in their current form.
- Chain events over the course of a few days fracture their dramatic storytelling if you have to miss one in the middle.
- It would be friendlier to the player base overall to make them repeated or longer.

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

Generally only about 20% of the player base is playing during the prime time (about a 4 hour period), where as the other 80% are playing at various other times. Literally with these one time events, they are missing a huge portion of their player base. There shouldn’t be one time events, they need to have them happen over several days and repeat several times through out each day. Arenanet shouldn’t be making content that literally a minority of their player base is actually able to participate.

Your statistics are 100% wrong. Arenanet already stated that they run events when they have the highest player concurency.

One time events are crucial to the games health. It brings players back to the game. Its a great system, and I would expect them to keep it in place.

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

Quite simply because players would farm it. There were already players getting 2-3 legendary precursors by jumping overflow queues. It messes with the economy when you give some players 300-600g/day.

That’s pretty easy to fix. Just don’t let players farm it by only giving out the rewards once.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: TransparentlyOpaque.1824

TransparentlyOpaque.1824

This sounds like a massive exaggeration. The chances of getting 1 precursor were slim. The chances of getting 3 are ludicris.

Posted by: utildai.5319

utildai.5319

This sounds like a massive exaggeration. The chances of getting 1 precursor were slim. The chances of getting 3 are ludicris.

Then design then differently…

Posted by: Demented Sheep.1642

Demented Sheep.1642

If you make it repeatable for a day or two your still going to get masses of people in one place, just hopefully not so much that everything is crashing and it means people who work or are in a different time zone might get a chance to do the event too.

(edited by Demented Sheep.1642)

Posted by: quidgy.1483

quidgy.1483

Make it repeatable so you don’t cut off massive portions of your player base, excluding them from participating unless they make unrealistic changes to their schedule.

Posted by: Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

Snoring Sleepwalker.9073

There is no other way to get that many people together at one time to create an epic event. If you do it multiple times, people are not all going to show up at once, or far fewer. It might be possible to do it few enough times that there is a high likelyhood of filling an entire instance of the zone each time…since there were obviously a lot of overflows for this one.

Ever GW1 event filled multiple districts, even though they were every 3 hours. I see no reason why GW2 events won’t fill overflows, especially when overflows have people from multiple servers.

Once you have filled all the main zones and have multiple overflows, there is no way you’re going to get the event any more ‘epic’ because you already have more people than you can fit in one place.

Your statistics are 100% wrong. Arenanet already stated that they run events when they have the highest player concurency.

One time events are crucial to the games health. It brings players back to the game. Its a great system, and I would expect them to keep it in place.

Not necessarily. If the peak concurrency was only 20% of the population, you’d still have most players missing out.

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

The reward should be as awesome as the event itself – Apprently, many were dissapointed with the reward.

I hope ArenaNet take this into consideration since it will (most likely) deter many of those players from attending similar events in the future.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Bardes.1870

Bardes.1870

Is it hard to make a event existing 24 hours and each player can only be allowed to loot reward once?

Maybe, since they only left 2 developers to test skills and traits ….

Posted by: Gilandred.9870

Gilandred.9870

How about we keep one time events, but we put them on at 4am Monday US time.

Still sound appealing?

While I like the concept of one time only events, the above quote is reason enough that there should be some level of repeatability. Maybe do the event every six hours over the course of a few days.