One click mistakes involving expensive items.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hammy.9156

Hammy.9156

Have several toons, Have ascended armor on most. Accidentally trashed my ascended light armor zojja’s pants on my asuran necromancer.

A long story would follow here and I’m going to add it to this post for anyone who wants the read it. otherwise, TLDR version is below.

When I tried to trash a exotic item in comparison it asked me to type in the name of the item and it was both worthless on the market, as well as worthless to myself.

So can we please get a dialog box we are forced to type in to enable the trashing of ascended items?
(End of TLDR)

A simple yes / no box is somewhat easy to hit “no” on.. unless if you are in the kitchen making pancakes one Friday morning and the dog is chasing the cat through the living room into the kitchen and you trip over the flying fur balls and stub your toe on the bar seat chair then as slo-mo sets in and you watch the ceramic blue bowl fly higher then you thought possible though the air and the batter come sloshing out and heading straight for the laptop that you just purchased from a garage sale on 5th street. You watch in utter horror as the creamy pancake goo starts to fly and begin to splatter upon the laptop and its keyboard and instantly forms a strange image of deja vu in your head about a waffle iron with glowing letters. As the batter soaks between the keys and you realize what is truly happening in this moment in time which feels eternal because of the events that have just transpired in the last few milliseconds, the blue bowl hits the island hard with a painful “PING-SNAP” sound and then proceeds to shatter into what seems like a hundred or more tiny blue shards of danger. Bringing your head to spin around towards the loud noise of the now exploding bowl and the shards as you notice they are coming for your face. As you dive for the floor in the exploding chaos the last thing you see the batter coat the entire keyboard and a shard of blue about the same size as your hand bouncing off the screen.

When you regain consciousness and begin to sort out what just happened and as your awareness increases, you rise to your feet only to see the entire laptop covered in batter, a cracked screen, and a shamelessly violated external USB mouse which was super tiny so it fit in your nice little laptop bag. You don the paper towers as you flex your upper urban body strength that you worked so hard for at the local suburban gym and rush to clean the batter and pickup the shards of blue stabbiness. You grab for the mouse first and start to furiously wipe away at it to clean the goo from between the two tiny buttons so you exit Guild Wars 2 before that blue smoke you just noticed coming up from somewhere between the E and R keys somehow majorly ruins your gaming experience, you happen to click and drag your Asuran necromancer’s pants out into the play world and where then, approached by a in game box that said something like “Are you sure you want to..” the rest of the dialog box is hidden by batter all over the screen. Your gut turns ugly as you realize that dialog box most likely means the end of your pants. Your expensive, time consuming.. pants. You feebly attempt to hit the escape button on the keyboard but the batter is too much for you. Your finger slips twice and in this moment as well your right hand, your most trusted and faithful right hand… slips as well on a very slimy USB mouse. Effectually hitting the YES button and destroying a price of ascended armor, you grab your last remaining hair and pull hard screaming “noooooooooo!!!!”

Support replaced my pants. It wasn’t easy for them. It wasn’t easy for me. All of this could have been prevented by not having a dog and a cat in the house at the same time.

All the rest of it could be prevented if a future patch of some sort gave us a “must type item name” in the trash dialog box for ascended items. (This may apply to legendary items too, I just don’t own any. )

Thank you,

-Hammy.

(edited by Hammy.9156)

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

Typing in the name of items before deletion is annoying. Other games use a little lock icon that you can lock and unlock. I would much rather see something like this than adding in another annoyance factor.

Posted by: reapex.8546

reapex.8546

I agree, having us type in a name to confirm a legendary or ascended or a precursor drop would be extremely helpful.

Posted by: Amaimon.7823

Amaimon.7823

I dunno, I care too much about my ascended stuff to ‘accidentally’ drop/destroy/sell them. In all my 4 years I’ve never even come close to ‘accidentally’ doing any of that.

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

I would like to see more confirmation boxes. I got an Elder Wood Logging Node from a Black Lion Chest and saw I could get around 200G for it so decided to sell as I needed gold and had no need for the wood. I right clicked to put it on the TP and rather than clicking on Sell on Trading Post, I hit Use. Brain to hand glitch, which happens to us all now and again. I sat there sick for a minute, and then wondered why there was no confirmation box to stop me from doing this stupid thing.

I contacted support, and they told me they couldn’t help me. I wrote back a suggestion that a confirmation box should be added to this. Really, wherever people can do something stupid, there needs to be a safeguard. Having to type words in order to delete something would annoy me, but I think the ability to lock gear and other items would be fantastic. One more much needed safeguard to save us from ourselves (and save CS a lot of ticket time).

Amaimon.7823

While I think it should be a human nature to not rush actions. I do agree that Anet is somewhat inconsistent with their checks.
Some items can be used and destroyed without a decent confirmation, while others can. ‘using this item will bind it to your acount’ on item X while an instant use on item B, while item B may actually be worth more than item X.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Enough confirmation boxes already!

Posted by: CMM.6712

CMM.6712

I dunno, I care too much about my ascended stuff to ‘accidentally’ drop/destroy/sell them. In all my 4 years I’ve never even come close to ‘accidentally’ doing any of that.

Those ^^^

At the same time I would like to see CONSISTENCY. But… I still don’t want to have to type the name of the item in.

Posted by: Tekoneiric.6817

Tekoneiric.6817

ANet could just add a deleted items bin to keep items in for a week before they are purged automatically. The icon could be with the little icons across the top of the screen. It would save support having to create tickets to restore items.

Posted by: Zohane.7208

Zohane.7208

On first reflection this sounds like a great idea. However…

• I would not like to have to type “Solaria, Circle of the Sun (Infused)” to vendor a drop for 4s95c (or destroy or salvage it).
  • It also becomes a wide grey zone what items are to have this confirmation box. Should a trash exo, worth a few silver be there? Probably now. A 5g or a 50g exo? Possibly, but then it becomes a problem of finding “proper” value. How about precursors? Very likely. Ascended items? Possibly, but then again not all items are Worth having the box for.

All in all, I like the idea of being able to lock an item so that it becomes impossible to get rid of until one manually removes the lock again. It could even be default to lock all exo/ascended/legendary items.

Gunnar’s Hold
Guild Leader for Tyria Liberation Council [TLC]

Amaimon.7823

Those ^^^

At the same time I would like to see CONSISTENCY. But… I still don’t want to have to type the name of the item in.

There’s no need. Here’s a good suggestion:
The box will spell out the item’s name IN THE SAME color.
Then much like in the gem store, the Yes button has a double function:
[yes]
and then
[accept]

So the item’s name is spelled inside the destroy-box, and you have to doubleclick the yes button without moving your mouse away from it. Easy enough to do intentionally without getting frustration. No need to spell the names of items, and best of all, no way to say ‘oops, I accidentally clicked yes’
I see no flaws in this idea.

Zohane.7208

[yes]
and then
[accept]

So the item’s name is spelled inside the destroy-box, and you have to doubleclick the yes button without moving your mouse away from it. Easy enough to do intentionally without getting frustration. No need to spell the names of items, and best of all, no way to say ‘oops, I accidentally clicked yes’

I see a few unfortunately:

• “Oops, I accidentally doubleclicked yes”
  • “I’m so used to merching cheap rings so I double-confirmed without thinking. I wish there was a proper confirmation box.”

Any confirmation box will inherently be “normal” to click and thus meaningless.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

A lock function would be a better option.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Zohane.7208

[yes]
and then
[accept]

I see a few unfortunately:

• “Oops, I accidentally doubleclicked yes”
  • “I’m so used to merching cheap rings so I double-confirmed without thinking. I wish there was a proper confirmation box.”

Any confirmation box will inherently be “normal” to click and thus meaningless.

Im sorry, but people who will have that problem, simply have failed the ‘ready for real life’ check

If you say so… However I don’t know anyone who has NOT made that mistake at least once, so I guess that we’re all “not-ready-for-life”.

Thing is, once you get used to the double-click to confirm it becomes automatic, since you don’t tend to make mistakes. That’s why – in reality – these kinds of checks always end up failing.

Gunnar’s Hold

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

I thought I accidently either salvaged or tossed in the toilet the rifle precurser. I noticed I had the skin unlocked in my wardrobe, and nearly had a heart attack…..
Turns out there was a PVP rifle that shared the same skin (back when PvP weapons were a thing)

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”