One of the problems--bad guy respawning

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rick Forrest.9615

Rick Forrest.9615

I just want to know if this irritates anyone as much as it does me. You go into a place and you hit 5 or 6 or more people and you kill them all. Then before you even turn around to leave they’re all back and you’re probably not getting out the door in one piece. The reason I asked is because I just killed about 10 bad guys and golems in a lab in Brililtine Swath. They all respawned to the point where I was fighting 5 at a time coming from every direction. I couldn’t even get to my feet after I was knocked down and 3 rally’s did no good at all. I was dead before I could make a move after the rally. Before you ask, I’m no nerf ball. I killed some of those 3 at a time. Is that common for MMORPG’s?? Sometimes I kill one level 80 baddie and before I can kill his buddy down the hall a few feet back he’s back and coming to fight again too. I haven’t played a lot of games like this so I’m just curious. This just part of the game?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

I don’t remember having any issues there. The enemies should be on something like a two minute respawn timer. It’s likely that you’re set up to defensive and cannot kill them quick enough. I am confused those how a level 80 enemy could be there when it’s nowhere near that level of a zone.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Brililtine Swath. I’m guessing that was an event in there if it’s the place I’m thinking of. They do tend to overspawn during that event with inquest and their golems and the turrets outside. The numbers are probably set up for several people, not one, so one person can get overrun in there.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

I don’t know if it’s any consolation, but the game used to have a lot more respawn-too-fast issues. There are also still some mobs that respawn faster than the 2 minutes Ayrilana refers to. I’ve had mobs respawn as I was picking up the loot from their predecessor. It’s possible that some mobs didn’t get changed when ANet addressed this issue back closer to launch.

As Flesh alludes to, sometimes it’s possible to be in an area where event mobs spawn and then run to where they’re supposed to be. Sometimes, they’re invulnerable and won’t aggro until they get where they’re going. Sometimes, they are immediately hostile.

It’s also possible to have a mob that patrols (e.g., Risen Giants) spawn at the same spot where another mob leashes. Patrolling mobs aren’t that common, but it can happen.

There are also situations where attacking something can draw several mobs from nearby. There’s one area in Cursed Shore near/in the maze where attacking a Rotmouth will draw several mobs. Iirc, some Inquest mobs will also do something similar, though I’m not sure if the lab in Brisban is one of those areas.

Edit: To answer the OP’s question, I don’t really get annoyed by any of this, though I do grouse a bit, as in, “I just killed that mob.”

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

It’s not just old mobs… there’s a mastery point in AB’s Eastwatch on a ledge with a couple of mordrem who spawn so fast by the time you’ve killed the last one and start communing with the mp the first one is already back.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

This has always been a problem for people who run defensive builds/gear. Just another incentive for ppl to run zerkers (and now cond versions of zerker) I suppose.

Another problem is that bosses and groups in your personal stories and LS take so long to down it just creates a very boring situation. They really need to stop basing the difficulty/HP bars of bosses/mobs around zerker gear. My Ele had this problem last night when I took him through the end of HOT. Man that last encounter took forever! However my zerker ranger that did it just 2 days beforehand had no problems at all and cleared it up 3 times faster.

Heck go to a normal weapon/armour vendor (yes those junk white gear guys) and what stats do you see? From memory when creating a new char it’s always a power or zerker stat. That right there tells you what Anet expected people to be using right off the bat.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: DGraves.3720

DGraves.3720

Just do more DPS.

Posted by: Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Zoltar MacRoth.7146

Just do more DPS.

Insightful as always, DGraves. And what if you have a glass-cannon zerk and you’re killing mobs in record time and they still come back? What if you have three people on that ledge, all killing mobs in record time and they keep coming back? Is it really so outrageous to think that maybe some spawn timers are a little too short?

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Happens a lot in HoT maps, you kill one enemy, and while fighting next one blocking your path previous enemy is already spawning on you. Combine short respawn times with huge aggro range and its obvious why nobody likes those maps.

It is not common in main Tyria maps, I think there are only few spots where you have to be careful with mobs. Eventually you will learn safe spots and some areas that just need to be rushed through.

IndigoSundown.5419

This has always been a problem for people who run defensive builds/gear. Just another incentive for ppl to run zerkers (and now cond versions of zerker) I suppose.

Just do more DPS.

DPS v. survival gear has little to nothing to do with it. My Soldier character will take about half again as long as my glass characters to kill a mob. Since glass kills in a few seconds, a few more seconds don’t matter. Veterans and above take longer of course, but the area the OP refers to does not produce any of these except for an event.

There are just some cases where mob respawn is shorter that the two minute period that Ayrilana suggested as the norm, and some cases where multiple mobs spawn in the same spot for events or such..

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Just do more DPS.

DPS v. survival gear has little to nothing to do with it. My Soldier character will take about half again as long as my glass characters to kill a mob. Since glass kills in a few seconds, a few more seconds don’t matter. Veterans and above take longer of course, but the area the OP refers to does not produce any of these except for an event.

There are just some cases where mob respawn is shorter that the two minute period that Ayrilana suggested as the norm, and some cases where multiple mobs spawn in the same spot for events or such..

It depends on build/class how much slower a more survival build can kill vs a zerker. For example I use PVT and dolyak runes on my Engi main and with the build I have yes it does not take much more longer than say my Ranger zerker. However I have every other class (except Necro) in PVT gear as well and they kill far, far, far slower than my Engi. Maybe it’s because I have not invested as much time into them yet to find a good damage output while still being in their survival gear as my Engi has. Or mybe it’s just the classes themself, no idea but I do know that my warrior is by far the worst!

Of course scaling down can make a difference too. In low lvl zones for example no matter what you are in you will 2-3 shot something in either gear, not so for higher lvl maps.

However you are correct there are places in the game where it seems mobs do spawn too fast. I did not take into account the place he said as I was not in game (and also am not right now) to see exactly where he was talking about since he did not give a map name or description of the place that I could easily remember if it was indeed one of those places.

Anet have responded to this in the past when people have brought forward that mobs spawn too fast. They replied something to the line of “they shouldn’t as they have random spawn points which usually move around a lot to give the sense they don’t spawn too fast”. I think for most places and if you are in zerkers gear this is pretty much correct. However there ARE zones where it just seems those “random spawn” points are just too few or non existent. Personally I think its a mix of the 2 that can cause this issue, not enough dps (especially if you run a build or weapon that is designed more for killing 1 enemy at a time vs cleaving or some sort of aoe) as well as too many mobs in the area or too few respawn places spread out far and wide.

Don’t even get me started on how mobs spawn for events (out of thin air and if you are not used to the event even right on top of you if unlucky) as this is just very, very, very bad design in general.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I can confirm that some non-event enemies almost seem to respawn on a separate timer (which should begin when the foe dies…. but that is not always the case) where you kill them and instantly another respawns to take its place if the timer reaches its restart point.

What I cannot confirm is whether or not the enemies respawned in your case, OP, simply because you lingered for too long after killing them… or if you were indeed experiencing the bug i described above. (the respawn timer for each individual enemy SHOULD start as soon as the foe dies)

The bug is almost impossible to duplicate, and has probably only happened to me a handful of times throughout my years of playing the game… so I would be willing to bet you simply lingered around after killing foes, and their timers were functioning properly.

It is also extremely immersion-breaking to have any enemy of any kind, for any reason, pop out of thin air into existence. At least give enemies spawn animations…. and when they really aren’t applicable…. at least make them fade in or something.

(edited by TheBlackLeech.9360)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I just want to know if this irritates anyone as much as it does me. You go into a place and you hit 5 or 6 or more people and you kill them all. Then before you even turn around to leave they’re all back and you’re probably not getting out the door in one piece. The reason I asked is because I just killed about 10 bad guys and golems in a lab in Brililtine Swath. They all respawned to the point where I was fighting 5 at a time coming from every direction. I couldn’t even get to my feet after I was knocked down and 3 rally’s did no good at all. I was dead before I could make a move after the rally. Before you ask, I’m no nerf ball. I killed some of those 3 at a time. Is that common for MMORPG’s?? Sometimes I kill one level 80 baddie and before I can kill his buddy down the hall a few feet back he’s back and coming to fight again too. I haven’t played a lot of games like this so I’m just curious. This just part of the game?

This is part of learning the game, yes.

It was a big issue for me when I first started (on mesmer). It made me realize that I needed to get more efficient about killing foes (at least, in certain areas) or I needed to run away sometimes.

I don’t think a player is ‘bad’ because they have trouble clearing mobs while solo; I think it’s how the game lets that player know they have room to improve.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

IndigoSundown.5419

Just do more DPS.

It depends on build/class how much slower a more survival build can kill vs a zerker. For example I use PVT and dolyak runes on my Engi main and with the build I have yes it does not take much more longer than say my Ranger zerker. However I have every other class (except Necro) in PVT gear as well and they kill far, far, far slower than my Engi. Maybe it’s because I have not invested as much time into them yet to find a good damage output while still being in their survival gear as my Engi has. Or mybe it’s just the classes themself, no idea but I do know that my warrior is by far the worst!

Of course scaling down can make a difference too. In low lvl zones for example no matter what you are in you will 2-3 shot something in either gear, not so for higher lvl maps.

However you are correct there are places in the game where it seems mobs do spawn too fast. I did not take into account the place he said as I was not in game (and also am not right now) to see exactly where he was talking about since he did not give a map name or description of the place that I could easily remember if it was indeed one of those places.

Anet have responded to this in the past when people have brought forward that mobs spawn too fast. They replied something to the line of “they shouldn’t as they have random spawn points which usually move around a lot to give the sense they don’t spawn too fast”. I think for most places and if you are in zerkers gear this is pretty much correct. However there ARE zones where it just seems those “random spawn” points are just too few or non existent. Personally I think its a mix of the 2 that can cause this issue, not enough dps (especially if you run a build or weapon that is designed more for killing 1 enemy at a time vs cleaving or some sort of aoe) as well as too many mobs in the area or too few respawn places spread out far and wide.

Don’t even get me started on how mobs spawn for events (out of thin air and if you are not used to the event even right on top of you if unlucky) as this is just very, very, very bad design in general.

After a visit to that lab in BW, I’ll concede that it could be a low DPS issue. Versus a single mob, as long as you attack, the timer should prevent you getting caught by the respawn. However, that lab has several spawn points, and the mobs are close enough together that kiting is bound to aggro more/most of them. Couple that with lower damage and a single target weapon, and even OK timers might catch someone out.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

Just do more DPS.

The place the player is referring to is in a level 15-25 zone. This suggestion of yours might work for a level 80 character, but in most cases, people are there whilst levelling, so ‘just doing more DPS’ isn’t as easy as you think, and also probably isn’t the answer.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]