One person can troll an entire map

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

I was doing an AB meta tonight and noticed something was possible. This other player had taken an armor and managed to aggro both frogs on the South path just off the octovine and close enough to the path where the frogs would pull all bombs.

This shouldn’t have been a big deal, except this player did it 10 minutes into the meta and the other sides had sent help to the South. So burning the frogs meant they were upscaled. Other armors couldn’t get aggro, and things couldn’t move for several minutes until the upscaled frogs were killed, by which time there was not enough time left to finish the meta and the map failed.

I can’t prove whether it was intentional (his antics in map chat seem to indicate it was) or just the result of bad playing, but it’s astounding that one player has so much control over whether or not a meta is successful.

You can technically do things on teq like take a turret and aim it the other way, but the damage from that is small. Even with bone walls teq is mostly beatable with reasonable DPS.

To a lesser extent it seems Orr is better served failing metas, but players prevent the favorable outcome. It makes killing the Legendary Wizard in front of Arah a frustrating process doing a collection.

But it just astounds me that one player is able to troll the rest of the map despite anet’s stated intention of making that impossible.

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

But it just astounds me that one player is able to troll the rest of the map despite anet’s stated intention of making that impossible.

I don’t see this as astounding. People who like to troll will be the first to figure out how to exploit a loophole in ANet’s best intentions and GW2’s game mechanics.

/report the player (use “verbal abuse”) or document and submit a more formal Support Ticket. The former takes less time; the latter allows you to explain what happened in detail and “should” get passed to the QA team for review.

Unfortunately, pretty much any large event can be trolled by someone drawing aggro — it’s hard to even imagine how ANet could prevent it entirely without revamping the entire fight. On the other hand, it’s pretty easy for them to identify the person responsible and take appropriate steps (which probably mean an initial warning — a suspension would only happen after multiple violations of the spirit of the ToS).

tl;dr report the specific player and/or the specific actions and cross fingers that anet gets a chance to deal with it before too many catch on

PS might want to remove the details from your post above, to avoid giving someone else the same idea.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Gendou.9620

Gendou.9620

Or just kill the frogs? It isn’t hard to kill the breacher and then kill the frogs, I do every event— and I do this about 2 times with plenty of meta time remaining(NOT ORGANIZED EITHER). I think it is pretty dumb to pull them to the side and expect someone to distract them the whole fight. When you kill the breacher, mordrem, and the frogs— the fight becomes much easier and you have a good amount of time before the breacher returns. If you use mechanics right, the exalted constructs increase the damage frogs take.

If anything the troll is more or less right in the aspect of pulling him into people, because he isn’t hard to kill. He is already scaled up regardless of where he is, but everyone ignores it because they are lazy. If you would take 5 seconds to clear mobs it wouldn’t be an issue for 5 minutes.

A side note, if you kill frogs before you kill breachers, you are asking to fail because they will just respawn.

(edited by Gendou.9620)

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Or just kill the frogs?

You might have missed the part where the OP explained how people left the quadrant to help South, so the foes were scaled up, but the defense was not. Had the alleged troll left the frogs alone, there wouldn’t have been a problem.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

It’s difficult to know whether to report these players or not. On one hand, they could be a complete noob and simply not know how the meta event works. On the other hand, they could be doing it on purpose.

I was at an AB meta once, and all of the sections were low except for south. So we simply told everyone not to kill their octos until our side was low too. A couple seconds later, one player from north decided it would be okay to push the bomb into the octo and kill it himself, effectively ruining the event for everyone else. South wasn’t able to finish in time, and we received no good loot.

To be honest, I think it’s kind of bad design that one player can ruin an event that requires tons of people to complete. That just begs for trolls/jerks/noobs etc.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

My favourite part about this is where a group of individuals can grief that event by burning down the octovine when other areas are not ready too. Great planning and design that one.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Hopefully they will keep away from metas now on upcoming maps. HOT showed us there are too many ways they can not function as intended. This is just another example of a toxic meta.

Posted by: Sartharina.3542

Sartharina.3542

I’m sorry, but you were 10 minutes into the meta. One player doesn’t have “That much control” over it – As you said, it shouldn’t have been a big deal. Sure, he was a pain in the kitten , but the failure’s just as much on everyone else who let the map reach that point.

Posted by: jheryn.8390

jheryn.8390

As unfortunate as it is, Trolls are a fact of life in GW2.

I was participating in the Octovine and a troll in one of the armors at South kept knocking the triggerblossoms into the players pushing the explosives on the walkway or into the group attacking the Octovine when it was vulnerable.

I was in an armor as well and spent my whole time just countering his moves while the other two armors had to handle everything else that armors do.

Several players, including myself, reported him. I have no idea what was done.

The sad fact is that trolls infest every MMO. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

I remember in NSP during the Marionette fight, this one uber-troll was constantly sabotaging our chances at victory…

He somehow managed to get in and suicide every siege golem in every lane — every attempt we made. Also, he would use up all the repair hammers so we couldn’t repair anything.

He did this constantly for one to two weeks. It was really frustrating. I imagine our server may have won much sooner if it weren’t for that prick.

Oh, the memories. :P

NSPride <3

Posted by: vesica tempestas.1563

vesica tempestas.1563

(laugh) There was a guy in Queensdale who did much the same to the champ train. Man, he brought the drama. It was pretty clear he lived for the insults.

the interesting thing about champ/karma trains is that 99% of the time its the train abusing/bullying others to discourage them from doing anything that may impact the train.

“Trying to please everyone would not only be challenging
but would also result in a product that might not satisfy anyone”- Roman Pichler, Strategize

Posted by: Allison The Strange.4519

Allison The Strange.4519

To be perfectly honest, everyone on the map who left their inital side to help south made the situation worse… It’s fine for a side to ask for help but most people should know better and remain where they are. Many pugs who don’t know how scaling works can quickly and easily scale events out of control.

Your best bet was never to go help south, it was to remain where you were and waited.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

(laugh) There was a guy in Queensdale who did much the same to the champ train. Man, he brought the drama. It was pretty clear he lived for the insults.

the interesting thing about champ/karma trains is that 99% of the time its the train abusing/bullying others to discourage them from doing anything that may impact the train.

Correct, I’d be doing my daily champ killer, I’d go right to oak heart because lazy. I’d kill it solo, then the train would show up and curse me out. I’m not here to run the train and I certainly don’t care that I inconvenienced you one bag in an otherwise boring and pointless train.

Posted by: Therodin.2970

Therodin.2970

I saw a few people mention reporting the guy, even if he did it on purpose is that a reportable offense?

Posted by: Hesacon.8735

Hesacon.8735

I saw a few people mention reporting the guy, even if he did it on purpose is that a reportable offense?

Anet has said multiple times that griefing is against the ToS. They tried to engineer it out of the game in as many places as possible, but in complex things like the AB meta it’s nearly impossible to do.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Ah… Internet Trolls… The bane of cooperative gaming…

It’s one thing if someone is honestly making a mistake. It happens and nobody is perfect.
Or situations like the old Queensdale Champ Train, where someone kills a Champ ‘out of order’ where there was no ‘order’ to begin with…
That’s different.

But to go out of their way to screw other people over? To actually gain any joy out of ruining other peoples day?
If a person finds some kind of perverse joy in that, then they got problems and shouldn’t be playing games… They should be getting therapy! Because something is /obviously/ wrong, either with themselves or with their life!

But lets face it. These people only do it because of the perceived autonomy of the internet. Because the /instant/ there is any form of real repercussion for their actions, they almost always clam up and start to magically behave themselves.
kittens like those shouldn’t even be allowed on online games…

Cheaters, griefers, and low-lifes who get off on harassing others deserve nothing but scorn.

But again… what can we do about it?

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Loli Ruri.8307

Loli Ruri.8307

On the other hand, it’s pretty easy for them to identify the person responsible and take appropriate steps (which probably mean an initial warning — a suspension would only happen after multiple violations of the spirit of the ToS).

The initial warning was in the ToS. Anet goes straight to suspensions and bans, which are more effective. Their track record is proof of this.

Intel Core i7 4790K @4.7 GHz, 32 GB 2133 MHz DDR3.
MSI GTX 1080 Sea Hawk EK X 2xSLI 2025 / 11016 MHz, liquid cooling custom loop.
Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB. HTC Vive.

Posted by: echo.2053

echo.2053

Not really. What nowadays doesn’t upset some person? Don’t do as a map zerg orders – you griefed them, failed an event – caused grief, new player to a dungeon on a team of exprienced – griefed. Even actually looking at the ops’ arguement most of them seemed beyond guarenteed fail ( with the exception of orr where he wanted to succed in the event where as the map wanted to fail for more loot) yet he wanted players to go all out despite the lack of hope for success.

You can can attempt to report as above but really thats just a “help you feel better” action with little to no actual action taken. That would have a rather noticiable impact on revnue…

Bender the offender – Proud violator of 17 safe spaces –

Posted by: HaxTester.9816

HaxTester.9816

One of the things I requested before Heart of Thorns release was a system where players could choose to side with Mordremoth and fight other players. While not exactly as how I imagined it or wanted it to be, this mechanic in AB somehow serves that purpose, so I’d say, THIS IS WORKING AS INTENDED.

Attachments:

Anvil Rockers Unite!