Only 7g til bolt! Goldskitten

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: GuzziHero.2467

GuzziHero.2467

While I cannot give the name of course, there is a guy constantly going around each map in turn shouting “Only 7g til Bolt!”

Do not give this goldskitten anything out of courtesy or kindness. He pulls this trick constantly. PM me if you need/want his name.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Is that EU or NA? Since you are on both

I think in general a good rule of thumb is not to give stuff and money to strangers who are actively asking for it. I worked in downtown DC for a few years and got a good immunity to panhandlers, though I was happy to buy food for the old woman near the National Archives because she was grateful for it, not angry I didn’t give cold hard cash. In game or on these forums I’ll sometimes spot someone genuinely in need and then it makes my day to give them that little boost to achieving their goal.

But spamming Map for gold? They can go hang. Now, the quote you gave skirts the line because the guy isn’t saying he wants donations, but in the context of doing it so constantly in so many maps it becomes clearly a scam. Have you reported him in a ticket?

GuzziHero.2467

This is on NA servers.

Like you say, he isn’t actively asking for gold so it isn’t really reportable. Still pretty annoying since I do try to be nice to folk, and its disappointing to feel that I’ve been taken for a fool. I often buy 12 slot bags and give them away to new players and such, since in game money means nothing to me, but this is a scummy trick.

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Probably the same person that went around saying they only need a few more of the T6 mats. Panhandling isn’t against any of the rules from what I have seen so it’s not reportable. You could technically report it as spam so long as it meets the criteria of such.

Posted by: rhapsody.3615

rhapsody.3615

There is also a player who is “just 95 silver away from that exotic on the trading post.” I saw them spamming maps on Sunday, but I’ve seen the same message months ago. I responded, “dude you have 13k achievement points. If you don’t know how to earn one gold, I am sorry.”

Posted by: Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

Ovalkvadratcylinder.9365

thx for the warning! I’ve seen people like this on EU too.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

This is scamming in my opinion, and either way you can report people for it if you suspect that it is. Support has all the tools to see every inventory item and TP investment, and where every piece of gold on an account came from and goes. So report him, encourage others to report him, and let support do their job.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

This is scamming in my opinion, and either way you can report people for it, support has all the tools to see where every piece of gold in the game goes, report him, encourage others to report him, and let support do their job.

How is it scamming? A scam implies that you are giving something in return for something else. In this context a scam would be if he was saying “If you give me X gold, I’ll give you Y gold back when I finish making this item and sell it.” but then never does.

As said before there is nothing in the ToS that say anything about asking for gold. I have a guildie who just sits in the PvP lobby and asks for silvers.

If you don’t like it, just ignore him and move on. But reporting him, and encouraging others to report, actually is a bad idea. If he’s not breaking the rules, then those reporting can have their accounts actioned, and it bogs up CS with a bunch of extra stuff they need to take care of before they can begin to work on actual problems, instead of some person who is apparently excited for almost finishing his legendary. (The actual message doesn’t say anything about asking for gold, making promises to those who donate gold, or anything else for that matter.)

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

I just mail them a scrap of cotton and tell them to craft a tissue.

Conncept.7638

This is scamming in my opinion, and either way you can report people for it, support has all the tools to see where every piece of gold in the game goes, report him, encourage others to report him, and let support do their job.

How is it scamming? A scam implies that you are giving something in return for something else. In this context a scam would be if he was saying “If you give me X gold, I’ll give you Y gold back when I finish making this item and sell it.” but then never does.

So if you choose to contribute to a charitable organization, then find that they never intended to use the money given them for the charitable purposes they advertised, by your own definition, that’s not a scam?

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Guy last night was asking for 8 charged lodestones to finish Infinite Light.
Basically asking for something like a 26g handout.
They’re getting brazen.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: mtpelion.4562

mtpelion.4562

So if you choose to contribute to a charitable organization, then find that they never intended to use the money given them for the charitable purposes they advertised, by your own definition, that’s not a scam?

It would be fraud, a scam’s ugly cousin.

Server: Devona’s Rest

pdavis.8031

Is he asking for money?
Is he making promises that he is using said money to buy Bolt?

And by my own definition, yes that would be a scam, but running around saying “Only 7g till Bolt!” is neither asking for donations, nor making any promises that said gold is only to be used for such and such a purpose.

Take the ice bucket challenge that was going around last year. That was, in my opinion, a scam. As only a small percentage (6% IIRC) was actually going to ACL research, whereas the rest was going to salaries, fund raisers, etc.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: roachsrealm.9284

roachsrealm.9284

in all fairness, spamming aside… with the way prices on high price items go it is believable that someone could constantly be that far away from the price. I know 70% of the time I save up for a big ticket item, by the time I reach my goal I need to increase my goal. again. repeat a few times.

he shouldn’t be spamming / scamming, but some prices are unattainable without quitting your day job.

Smitten Mittens (The Gothic Embrace [Goth], Fort Aspenwood)

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Is he asking for money?

And by my own definition, yes that would be a scam, but running around saying “Only 7g till Bolt!” is neither asking for donations, nor making any promises that said gold is only to be used for such and such a purpose.

Take the ice bucket challenge that was going around last year. That was, in my opinion, a scam. As only a small percentage (6% IIRC) was actually going to ACL research, whereas the rest was going to salaries, fund raisers, etc.

If he said it once, as a sign of being proud of almost having it then fine.
But no one (I hope) is foolish enough to believe running through different zones spamming it was done for any other reason than to elicit the giving of said money.

To hide behind “well I didn’t actually ask for it” is bull.

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

pdavis.8031

Is he asking for money?

If he said it once, as a sign of being proud of almost having it then fine.
But no one (I hope) is foolish enough to believe running through different zones spamming it was done for any other reason than to elicit the giving of said money.

To hide behind “well I didn’t actually ask for it” is bull.

Yes, it is dishonest, but then shall CS start taking action against people because of what was implied by a persons comments?
So dude runs around the world saying “only 7g till Dusk!” and people think “Hey cool! Heres a gold! Good luck!”
Should he be banned/suspended for that?
Does CS need to start looking into the motivations, and intent behind each persons words and actions in chat channels?

Following the same logic, should be be banned suspended for linking exotic drops in map chat? Linking said item COULD be seen as an intent to sell. If I was to run around linking [Guardian of the Six] (exotic shield) people could report it as intent to sell outside of the TP. Should I be banned/suspended for being excited about a cool shield skin I found?

Think of it this way. In real life, can a person on a street corner holding a sign asking for money for food be legally responsible and held accountable for not buying food with the money given them? What if they were to use that money to buy some clothes instead? Or a bus ticket out of town? Should they be held accountable?

recognize my command!”

Conncept.7638

Is he asking for money?

I never stated that the charitable organization asked for money, or that they had to.

When I was a kid a young girls parents made national news because they had shaved their daughters head, claimed she had cancer, and then accepted donations from the community. Note, accepted, not asked for; neither did the parents ever claim they even needed money for her cancer treatments. The local community started collections without being asked, and people donated without being sought out.

So, by your definition, because they were not asked for the money, it is completely justifiable, those parents did not scam anyone? Because the jail time they wound up serving, and loss of custody over their child, would say otherwise.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Azurem.9468

Azurem.9468

I just mail them a scrap of cotton and tell them to craft a tissue.

Only 7 more cotton scraps til my next bolt of damask! :P

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

lol thats so funny I saw him yesterday

pdavis.8031

Is he asking for money?

I never stated that the charitable organization asked for money, or that they had to.

When I was a kid a young girls parents made national news because they had shaved their daughters head, claimed she had cancer, and then accepted donations from the community. Note, accepted, not asked for; neither did the parents ever claim they even needed money for her cancer treatments. The local community started collections without being asked, and people donated without being sought out.

So, by your definition, because they were not asked for the money, it is completely justifiable, those parents did not scam anyone? Because the jail time they wound up serving, and loss of custody over their child, would say otherwise.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crime/iowa-mom-faked-child-terminal-cancer-collect-donations-cops-article-1.1913828

I am guessing this is the story you are referring to?
She made a Gofundme campaign in order to get donations for treatment, she faked medical contacts and documents in order to get donations for those who looked closer into the matter. In the end she was charged with Child Endangerment and Drug charges as she gave her child Cannabis oil.

http://wric.com/2015/01/23/woman-charged-with-fraud-after-falsely-claiming-her-daughter-had-terminal-cancer/

There is this one as well, but she was specifically asking for donations for doctors bills, food, etc.

There are several more cases, but each one generally has the parents lying, but also asking for donations, and falsifying medical documents in order to receive those donations. Which is very different then just saying “My kid has cancer.” And thats what they were charged for, not for claiming the child had cancer, but for using the false information and fake documents to get donations.

My point is, there is nothing in the ToS that says you can’t ask for money, that says you can’t go into every map and say “Only 7g till Dusk” in order to get donations, or anything. I doubt very much there is anything CS can, or will, do about it. In the end it’s “Buyer Beware”. If you feel that such people are lying, then don’t give them anything.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: Azure.8670

Azure.8670

I actually saw this guy in cursed shore yesterday and today. I thought I was imagining things

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

How is it scamming? A scam implies that you are giving something in return for something else.

It’s a scam because: there’s no way their statement could be true week after week. So they are begging for people for donations and misleading the community about the reason.

You don’t have to be expecting something tangible for someone to be scamming: just look at all the people who ask for donations after natural disasters and then pocket the money. They aren’t offering you anything specific in return, except the expectation that you are donating to a worthy cause. Instead, their cause is not worthy and worse, it discourages people from donating to those truly in need.

Admittedly, the stakes here are much less important: someone getting 7g from someone wanting to be generous doesn’t really “hurt” anyone, after all it’s all just virtual wealth. However, it’s bad for the community, i.e. in the context of this game, it’s still sleazy.

Honestly, I’m surprised that anyone would defend this behavior as legitimate, especially those that have, in other posts, complained about TP fees, TP flipping, in-game lotteries, and other practices/mechanics which have actual benefits to the community (however controversial they might be). In this case, the only person receiving anything at all is the scammer (and the donator, but only as long as they are fooled about what happens with the gold).

I donate stuff all the time to friends and even strangers; I just never do so for someone spamming /map.

tl;dr it’s a scam to ask for donations by giving a false reason and I hope that ANet treats it as such.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

pdavis.8031

How is it scamming? A scam implies that you are giving something in return for something else.

It’s a scam because: there’s no way their statement could be true week after week. So they are begging for people for donations and misleading the community about the reason.

You don’t have to be expecting something tangible for someone to be scamming: just look at all the people who ask for donations after natural disasters and then pocket the money. They aren’t offering you anything specific in return, except the expectation that you are donating to a worthy cause. Instead, their cause is not worthy and worse, it discourages people from donating to those truly in need.

Admittedly, the stakes here are much less important: someone getting 7g from someone wanting to be generous doesn’t really “hurt” anyone, after all it’s all just virtual wealth. However, it’s bad for the community, i.e. in the context of this game, it’s still sleazy.

Honestly, I’m surprised that anyone would defend this behavior as legitimate, especially those that have, in other posts, complained about TP fees, TP flipping, in-game lotteries, and other practices/mechanics which have actual benefits to the community (however controversial they might be). In this case, the only person receiving anything at all is the scammer (and the donator, but only as long as they are fooled about what happens with the gold).

I donate stuff all the time to friends and even strangers; I just never do so for someone spamming /map.

tl;dr it’s a scam to ask for donations by giving a false reason and I hope that ANet treats it as such.

I’m not defending it as legitimate. I agree, it’s dishonest and sleazy. But the question is: “Should CS take action against him for doing it?” I would say no. It’s not breaking the rules, it being a scam, is at best, in doubt, and is well within the established perimeters of the rules and the game.
The ramifications of Anet taking action against him are rather grave. This means that Anet can take action against anyone for any reason, simply because some players get annoyed at them. What happens then? Do people get banned for RPing in map chat because some people find it annoying? Because people claim that it’s interfering with their “enjoyment of the game”? Do bans start getting issued to players who join LFG they are not qualified for? It could be considered “griefing” because they are interfering with someones particular playstyle.
If a person asking for donations, or implying that they need donations to buy something, can be banned, what else becomes bannable? Being AFK at an event? What if you had to step away from your computer just before the event started? Is that griefing, and thus bannable?

No. They should not be banned simply because what they are doing is ethically wrong, and sleazy. If they are breaking any rules, then yes, action should be taken. But they aren’t breaking any rules.

recognize my command!”

Posted by: DonQuack.9025

DonQuack.9025

I for one am totally for banning him. Why?
It takes time from CS dealing with legit problems to dealing with nonsense like this.

/watchestheworldburn
/hopestoneverhavelegitproblem
/stillwatchestheworldburn
/LackofpersonalResponsibility
/GW2ConfirmediTunesAppStore

Concerns about HoT pre-order? Check here!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Am9gVQB8gss

(edited by DonQuack.9025)

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

“Goldskitten”?

Sounds like the ultimate James Bond villain.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

Hmmm interesting, a few days ago I saw something similar. I was in DR when someone yelled out: “I’m only 2 gold away from xxxx precursor, I hate to do this but can someone give me a loan?”.

I soon asked him in map chat if he had nothing in his bank materials tab that he could sell, as sometimes you can have a small fortune tucked away in there without even knowing it. His reply was not important but in the end I think someone did give him the 2 gold he said he “was short of”.

A new trend perhaps? Still, it’s no where near as bad as in some other game I used to play lol. There ppl would sit 24/7 in the cities just begging for cash/items.

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I don’t know about trend, but it’s not a new thing. I remember before megaservers we had one guy who would sit in Lions Arch and beg for gold, with all words badly misspelled. That account was eventually banned (reasons unknown) and he made another with a char and account name with his bad spelling of the words need gold. He hadn’t been on for a long time that I know of.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Figlilly.3907

Figlilly.3907

I think there are always going to be those people who just want something for nothing and have no conscience about asking for, nor pride in accepting, money that someone else has earned. The ones who give them the money are fools. They think they are being kind but they are just enabling bad behaviour and encouraging it to continue.

Posted by: SirDrygan.1823

SirDrygan.1823

Ebegging in a virtual world. Just like Twitch Ebegging for real money. There will be people like that…..
Just screenshot, report and move on. Let ANET deal with it. or let ANET review if that person is really against TOS or not.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

Can’t understand why people would give them money. Money is easy to earn
here, and its totally different than real world.

Go 30-40 minutes farming in Dredgehaunt Cliffs / Timberline Falls .. there are your
7 Gold. Thats what i would tell those people.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

No. They should not be banned simply because what they are doing is ethically wrong, and sleazy. If they are breaking any rules, then yes, action should be taken. But they aren’t breaking any rules.

It doesn’t matter if you think they aren’t breaking a rule; it doesn’t matter if I think they are. The only judgment that matters here is ANet’s: if they think the actions are damaging to the community, they’ll take the relevant steps; if they don’t, they won’t.

(My best guess is that they will: history suggests to me that ANet tends to read the Terms of Service as broadly as possible to prevent unethical and sleazy behavior from becoming common. Your best guess, if I understand correctly, is that they should not, under a strict interpretation of the ToS. We’ll probably have to agree-to-disagree, until/unless ANet responds to this thread directly.)

pdavis.8031

It doesn’t matter if you think they aren’t breaking a rule; it doesn’t matter if I think they are. The only judgment that matters here is ANet’s: if they think the actions are damaging to the community, they’ll take the relevant steps; if they don’t, they won’t.

(My best guess is that they will: history suggests to me that ANet tends to read the Terms of Service as broadly as possible to prevent unethical and sleazy behavior from becoming common. Your best guess, if I understand correctly, is that they should not, under a strict interpretation of the ToS. We’ll probably have to agree-to-disagree, until/unless ANet responds to this thread directly.)

I can agree with that :P

However, the only response from a dev I expect on this matter would be a moderator locking down. But you are right, either way its entirely up to Anet how they will address this, if at all.

recognize my command!”

Ayrilana.1396

Almost tempted to send them the 7G… 1c at a time.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If only you wouldn’t get suppressed doing that.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

people who exploit kindness to effectively steal money should all be perma banned.

in my opinion its scamming, extremely toxic scamming, people are turning their hard earned currency over to them, thinking they’re doing them a massive favour and ending their grind for a legendary, but in reality they’re just making tons of cash by exploiting kindness, we don’t need them in our playerbase!

Posted by: papry.8096

papry.8096

People really get caught by that ?
I would simply tell them then go farm for them.

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Almost tempted to send them the 7G… 1c at a time.

I wonder what ANet would think of 20 people sending the same “scammer” 1 copper in each of 2 emails — that would fill up their in box, without anyone having to worry about getting suppressed.

(OK, I know ANet would call it harassment, which it would be — I just like the thought of just desserts. In other words: don’t actually try this from home.)

Posted by: Lex Domino.6283

Lex Domino.6283

I’m seriously confused as to why people are trying to find a way to harass this guy or report him when all you really have to do is not give him money and put him on ignore.

People who constantly give money away to other players are the reason this begging exists in the first place. You are to blame. You think you’re being nice, you’re creating begging.

I’ve known people who pretended to be girls online and made a killing in free items and gold. I’ve known people who’ve begged and made bank just sitting around towns/hubs asking for money.

Stop giving stuff away. You earned your things right? Why do you automatically assume that no one else is capable of earning things on their own?

You’re the problem. Not the beggers. They would stop begging if people stopped giving things away.

He’s not doing anything wrong, he’s taking advantage of egotistical people who can’t stop trying to play hero. Everyone is capable of earning their own way in a video game.

It’s not a real life medical bill, it’s not saving someone’s life, it’s a game. Stop “donating”.

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

Rightclick his name > Report
Select Scamming and submit it

ANet will be able to check the logs to see if he really is scamming. If he’s not scamming, they’ll understand why you thought he was.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

“Well golly gee. I think I am gonna pay real money for a game so I can go beg for fake money in it.”

Maybe the dude is rp’ing that he’s a Tyrian panhandler. Why you guys gotta be so judgmental?

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

“Well golly gee. I think I am gonna pay real money for a game so I can go beg for fake money in it.”

Maybe the dude is rp’ing that he’s a Tyrian panhandler. Why you guys gotta be so judgmental?

I’m not judgmental. I roleplay that I’m judgmental against people who roleplay as Tyrian panhandlers. ^^

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

Thanks for the warning. Yeah I just found that same guy the OP was talking about. Remembered this thread. Reported the guy for scamming.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: rapthorne.7345

rapthorne.7345

1,300g until twilight! Help a guy out!

>.>

Resident smug Englishman on the NA servers, just because.

GuzziHero.2467

>.>

Attachments:

Posted by: Kakapo.5230

Kakapo.5230

I keep reporting him and he keeps on going. It’s disappointing.

In due time, all will serve the asura.

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I think next time I should be snarky and say ‘only 7g away? Wow you’re so close, perhaps you should do a few dungeons or work for that last 7g, rather than hinting.’

I mean seriously, even if you WERE 7g away, you would just quietly work towards getting that 7g, then perhaps link all the items you have ready to mystic forge, to turn into said legendary, then link said legendary saying you’ve finally done it.

That person is deliberately hinting towards the masses, because just like scammers, they know that sooner or later they’ll find someone that will give them something.

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I’m seriously confused as to why people are trying to find a way to harass this guy or report him when all you really have to do is not give him money and put him on ignore.

People who constantly give money away to other players are the reason this begging exists in the first place. You are to blame. You think you’re being nice, you’re creating begging.

I’ve known people who pretended to be girls online and made a killing in free items and gold. I’ve known people who’ve begged and made bank just sitting around towns/hubs asking for money.

Stop giving stuff away. You earned your things right? Why do you automatically assume that no one else is capable of earning things on their own?

You’re the problem. Not the beggers. They would stop begging if people stopped giving things away.

He’s not doing anything wrong, he’s taking advantage of egotistical people who can’t stop trying to play hero. Everyone is capable of earning their own way in a video game.

It’s not a real life medical bill, it’s not saving someone’s life, it’s a game. Stop “donating”.

No, he is doing something wrong.

It’s not, necessarily, an either/or situation.

Both parties can be at fault, to an extent.

Although, when it comes to scams, the law views it as the scammer’s fault; not the person who was scammed’s fault (however naïve/gullible you might view them as).

In other words, it would not be illegal for you to be a naïve/gullible individual, but it would be illegal if I tried to take advantage of you for being so.

The same should go for a game.

In this case, it’s somewhat debatable, as he’s not directly asking for money, but rather just hinting that he would like some.

But, if this has now become a common and recognised way for goldsellers to acquire gold, rather than more direct begging, then it should still be treated as a scam (or, at least, undesirable behaviour); as that is the intention behind it.

Obviously, you would have to be careful not to ban every, genuine, 12 year old who innocently states in mapchat that he/she needs some gold.

But, if someone is clearly making a regular habit of it, then they should be banned.

Finally, I have to take issue with the egotistical thing.

Most people who give people money, whether IRL or in games, do it to be kind.

There might be the occasional person who gets some kind of power trip out of it, but that is not typical.

IRL, the biggest donators to charity, by far, are poor (as in, financially poor) old ladies.

Pretty sure they’re not doing it for their egos…

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Ayrilana.1396

In the end, your best bet is to just report it as a scam or whatever and leave it to Anet to handle. Harassing him verbally, or by doing what I jokingly said earlier, won’t help the situation and just cause you to get in trouble as well. If it comes to it, just block them so you don’t have to see it.

I know that’s not what a lot of us want to hear but we don’t really have any other options.

>.>

Sure thing. I’ll send you it all in copper which is like 13 million coins. It’ll be like what’s attached but in copper!

13,000,000 individual copper coins for you! Like the attached image but in copper.

Attachments:

Posted by: Sanrio.7192

Sanrio.7192

there are no big deal for him to use a new account even get banned from scamming

Attachments:

(edited by Sanrio.7192)

Posted by: ckotoc.5421

ckotoc.5421

It is just a guy who asks for money for his own reasons.Whats the point to overanalyzing it?Ignore him or report him and thats it.