Only main hand weapon used for damage?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Todd.8162

Todd.8162

Is only the main-hand weapon used for damage calculation? I believe this is correct.

The off-hand weapon contributes to what attack skills are available and bonuses from a 2nd sigil, if equipped. But it is not used in damage calculations.

Correct?

Posted by: Draknar.5748

Draknar.5748

Well their stats are used in damage calculations.

I won’t stop because I can’t stop.

It’s a medical condition, they say its terminal….

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

Does offhand weapon skills not just use the same formula?

Damage = Weapon strength * Power * Skill coefficient / Armor

Except weapon strength would be from the offhand weapon and not the mainhand weapon.

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

Why ask on the forums? Anyone could say whatever they want and they may be right or wrong. This is something easy to test for yourself.

However I did just test it myself and found that damaging skills from the offhand weapon use the damage from it, but everything else including utility skills use the mainhand weapon.

I tested with necro warhorn.

Todd.8162

Except weapon strength would be from the offhand weapon and not the mainhand weapon.

This is what I’m asking. I don’t believe the off-hand weapon strength is used in the damage calculations. The off-hand weapon adds to power but not to weapon strength.

Is this correct?

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

Ask any necro about life blast damage. It is completely dependent upon which weapon set you have equipped before going into death shroud. Very poor design IMO.

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Except for thief, you use your main hand damage range stat for skills #1 to #3, and your offhand damage range stat for #4 to #5.

Thief is the same except for #3 which usually does one attack with main hand, and another with offhand, not always in that order.

The item bonuses to power/precision/etc… always matter though, just same as your helmet’s Power stat helps you punch stuff harder.

Khristophoros.7194

Ask any necro about life blast damage. It is completely dependent upon which weapon set you have equipped before going into death shroud. Very poor design IMO.

Then what should it be based on?

Khristophoros.7194

This is what I’m asking. I don’t believe the off-hand weapon strength is used in the damage calculations. The off-hand weapon adds to power but not to weapon strength.

Is this correct?

Read my above post.

Todd.8162

Except for thief, you use your main hand damage range stat for skills #1 to #3, and your offhand damage range stat for #4 to #5.

Thief is the same except for #3 which usually does one attack with main hand, and another with offhand, not always in that order.

The item bonuses to power/precision/etc… always matter though, just same as your helmet’s Power stat helps you punch stuff harder.

This is what I suspected.

In follow-up to this; is a damage-boosting sigil on the off-hand weapon only used when the off-hand weapon strikes or does its bonus benefit all sources of damage?

For example, if an off-hand weapon has a Sigil of Ghost Slaying, will all attacks against ghosts benefit or only strikes made by the off-hand weapon?

You can see where I am leading with this; using inexpensive off-hand weapons with desired sigils for different purposes.

stof.9341

Sigils always apply like Power stat applies.

A “cheap” offhand will work wonders for a weapon that is pure support, often like a warhorn, or pure condition damage like torch. You WILL still lose some of those valuable stats in the process though (Power/etc…).

Khristophoros.7194

This is what I suspected.

In follow-up to this; is a damage-boosting sigil on the off-hand weapon only used when the off-hand weapon strikes or does its bonus benefit all sources of damage?

For example, if an off-hand weapon has a Sigil of Ghost Slaying, will all attacks against ghosts benefit or only strikes made by the off-hand weapon?

You can see where I am leading with this; using inexpensive off-hand weapons with desired sigils for different purposes.

Exotics are really inexpensive though.

Todd.8162

I’m comparing exotic vs ascended.

Khristophoros.7194

I’m comparing exotic vs ascended.

Well yeah then you’re on to something I guess.

Todd.8162

A “cheap” offhand will work wonders for a weapon that is pure support, often like a warhorn, or pure condition damage like torch. You WILL still lose some of those valuable stats in the process though (Power/etc…).

Agree that it would take some spreadsheet & testing to determine if benefit from sigils outperforms loss of power.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Its works this….

Skills 1-3 use the “Weapon” strength of the Main hand, 4 & 5 use the weapon power of the Off-hand. The Attribute bonuses are applied to your base stats, which will affect all weapon skills by virtue of the attribute.

The reasoning here is that 2-handed weapons are typically high damage/high impact by nature, but have low flexibility due to occupying all 5 weapon skills. Main/Off hand builds allow greater flexibility for slightly less upfront power. Each type of weapon also had different base weapon strength values. Oddly, the Wiki doesn’t list these on a single table… you have to seek them out on each weapon type’s page.

stof.9341

Agree that it would take some spreadsheet & testing to determine if benefit from sigils outperforms loss of power.

Actually no not really. As I said, sigils always work no matter what quality of your weapon.

Unless you are talking about equipping a level 59 or lower weapon, thus losing access to the superior sigils, there’s nothing to compare here. But it’s ultra cheap to get even a level 80 green weapon anyway.

Posted by: Dinks.2478

Dinks.2478

Is this correct?

Take off your main hand weapon. Use a skill from your offhand. Did you do damage? Yes? There you go.

Todd.8162

Actually no not really. As I said, sigils always work no matter what quality of your weapon.

Unless you are talking about equipping a level 59 or lower weapon, thus losing access to the superior sigils, there’s nothing to compare here. But it’s ultra cheap to get even a level 80 green weapon anyway.

My calculations suggest that using a L80 Masterwork off-hand equipped with a Superior Sigil of … Slaying has maximum potential damage slightly less (-2%) vs the Sigil creature type compared to using an Ascended off-hand weapon without a sigil.

Using a L80 Rare off-hand has maximum potential damage slightly higher (+1%).

Using a L80 Exotic off-hand has maximum potential damage moderately higher (+7%).

This calculation accounts for the lower Power compared to an Ascended weapon plus +10% bonus from using a Superior Sigil of … Slaying.

In other words, one could build a cheap inventory of Rare or better off-hand weapons with creature-specific Superior Sigil of … Slaying upgrades to swap as needed and hit as hard against the sigil creature type as using an Ascended off-hand.

stof.9341

So you talk about not using a slaying sigil in an ascended offhand cause it’s too expensive to swap them around? Sure makes sense.

Posted by: Kadin.2356

Kadin.2356

A flat coefficient based on the quality / level of the weapon. If all my weapons are zerk ascended then I shouldn’t be life blasting for less damage because I forgot to switch from dagger to staff before going into death shroud. It’s just stupid.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

imo, flat amount based on equipped weapon quality.

currently entering death shroud while using a staff causes your life blasts to do 30-50% extra damage compared to if you were using a dagger.