Open World Events -Too Easy

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

Please greatly increase the scaling of open world events,

also i’d like to see some raid style events, say 20-40 person instanced missions so we have some large scale pve content that can be fine tuned, along with scripted sequences, which a lot of open world events lack.

Think of it sort of like a personal story mission but with 20-40 players,

Theirs no reason “raids” shouldn’t be in gw2 and im confused when people say things like “raiding should stay in wow” raiding isn’t a wow thing infact

All raiding really means is large scale dungeons / events
Why would you not want this in the game as an OPTIONAL thing to do?

Rewards would include chances for unique weapon and armor skins that only drop from mobs within said mission, tokens for unique items, limited time magic find / gold find / stat buffs that last for a day or so for the people who completed the raid,

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

No instances please. If they ever decide to add any “raiding content” I’d like it to be open for as many people to come as they want. (like it was in daoc, eq, other old mmorpgs)

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Blissified.8369

We already have thakittens called southsun and orr, prolbem is you can’t have scripted missions with story cutscenes and different things going on (youtube the wow raid on the lich king (aka arthas) ) not to mention their too easy on top of the fact you cant have anything drastic happen or any scripted events if its totally open world.

If anyone knows the basics of how games are deisgned, and mmos especially you know that having open world raids, where stuff actually happends say the destruction of a citadel or say you shoot a dragon out of the sky then enter inside it while the seraph and lion guard forces hold the outside while the heros enter, but then an unexpected force of double crossing humans comes and a cutscene happends where logan thackery and his forces turn on the heros main forces as it apears he has been corrupted, killing queen jenna while also somehow trapping you and your npc forces inside the fallen dragons mouth now you are trapped and must escape after your mission is complete in time to aid the forces outside that are still battling.

Ok that was horrible, but im trying to give a good example of how instances can have better story driven and scripted sequences, sometimes a few scripted sequence are good, another example;
is the begening of the game if your a human, the land is under attack and theirs sccriped sequences their that wouldnt work in the open world.

(edited by Blissified.8369)

Posted by: kishter.9578

kishter.9578

i have a good solution for anyone who say everything is easy: PLAY NAKED,
-no armor
-no food
-no trinkets
-no storage bag
-and just 1h weapon: 3 skill
-no healing
-no elite
-no utility

do that and comeback here and tell me then—-

We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that.

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

What’s wrong with easy?

We’re supposed to become big kitten heroes. Look at myth and legend, and see what the heroes of those stories are like. Most of them take on large numbers of foes, or go one-on-one against a large “monster” of some kind. Watch a good action movie, and see how many bad guy scrubs the hero takes out all on his own.

Did Theseus need a band of 4 others to go with him to take down the Minotaur in straight combat? No, he stepped up and did it single-handedly. 300 Spartans taking on an army of thousands. One lone, off duty police officer saving an office full of people from a skyscraper full of well armed thieves. The one man at the bridge, shouting “You shall not pass!”

A challenge can be good and fun, yes. But so can easy. I miss playing CoH and being able to wade into huge swarms of enemies and beat them single-handedly. The enemies were easy to fight, but a swarm fit for an 8 man team made them a challenge again. It wasn’t a HARD challenge, but it was fun in a way that fewer, more powerful foes would never have been. It made me feel like an epic, big kitten hero.

GW2 needs that.

… you know, so Trahearne can get the praise for it.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I agree with kishter, there are plenty of ways in the game to make areas more difficult yourself either by wearing white armor or limiting your skill use.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

I just took a look at the state of the temples on US servers and Arah, Balthazar, and Grenth are in a state of 100% failure, on all servers. Other temples are more 80-90% failure. A rational human looks at the reality of open world PvE and is quite puzzled with calls to increase the difficulty. I’m puzzled too.

I do agree that there should be scaling difficulty in dungeons, preferably three modes so everyone can find reward and challenge commensurate with their skill level. Open world PvE should be designed around the player base you find there, i.e., a wide diversity of players. There is absolutely no need to increase the difficulty level of end-game open world PvE.

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Please greatly increase the scaling of open world events,

also i’d like to see some raid style events, say 20-40 person instanced missions so we have some large scale pve content that can be fine tuned, along with scripted sequences, which a lot of open world events lack.

Think of it sort of like a personal story mission but with 20-40 players,

Theirs no reason “raids” shouldn’t be in gw2 and im confused when people say things like “raiding should stay in wow” raiding isn’t a wow thing infact

All raiding really means is large scale dungeons / events
Why would you not want this in the game as an OPTIONAL thing to do?

Rewards would include chances for unique weapon and armor skins that only drop from mobs within said mission, tokens for unique items, limited time magic find / gold find / stat buffs that last for a day or so for the people who completed the raid,

There was the tread where players complained about default controls, now this is the majority of gw2 players today (who stayed), get something hard (like changing controls) and they just go and whine about it till nerf. I’m for challenging open world, in
manifesto they talked about it, like each time you do some event it will get harder and yet all we have is NERF NERF NERF.

Posted by: HeliaXDemoN.1208

HeliaXDemoN.1208

World Events bosses die in SECONDS 10~30 seconds with 20~30 people.

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

At the start it wasn’t like this, fire elemental was one of the best boss fights i played, took us 30-45 min to kill him and there was a lot of us. Some bosses still went down pretty fast but other scaled really good with number of players.

Posted by: penatbater.4710

penatbater.4710

At the start it wasn’t like this, fire elemental was one of the best boss fights i played, took us 30-45 min to kill him and there was a lot of us. Some bosses still went down pretty fast but other scaled really good with number of players.

They really need to make world bosses harder. And by that I mean make them hit like a firetruck to higher level’d people (while hitting the same to lowbies). Except jormag. Jormag is infuriating as it is already =/

Don’t disturb me, I have a cat in me at the moment.

Posted by: Wryscher.1432

Wryscher.1432

This is what makes me sad. I would agree at the start the fire lord was a touch to hard. The reason? He was in a level 15 area with a knock down that would kill you if you didn’t pack a stun break. Everyone was level 15, no one had one.

But now, I could take the above solution to make it harder, and play naked, and the fire elemental still would be no real threat. It is sad.

[Sane]-Order of the Insane Disorder
Melanessa-Necromancer Cymaniel-Scrapper
Minikata-Guardian Shadyne-Elementalist -FA-

Posted by: FallenTear.3710

FallenTear.3710

Wanna harder ?
Put a Champ Wraith beside all event or world boss.
Done.

Blissified.8369

Wanna harder ?
Put a Champ Wraith beside all event or world boss.
Done.

thats exactly the wrong kind of way t o increase difficulty

Posted by: wolfie.7296

wolfie.7296

Op should play solo against the elite events that “require x amount of players”.. they are impossible. It’s already bad how you can’t complete events because the maps are now empty.

It looks so lazy for players to say it’s easy when the use the best items they can get. If you want a challenge don’t use the best, or even good, items. It looks bad blaming the game when you have zero discipline.

(edited by wolfie.7296)

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

This is what makes me sad. I would agree at the start the fire lord was a touch to hard. The reason? He was in a level 15 area with a knock down that would kill you if you didn’t pack a stun break. Everyone was level 15, no one had one.

But now, I could take the above solution to make it harder, and play naked, and the fire elemental still would be no real threat. It is sad.

What i find sad is fact that there was an army of complainers shouting everything is too hard, so they toned down Orr, and world bosses, and alot of events…Now there is army of complainers saying everything is too easy…you get the picture?
I also suspect that people who want harder world are not people that wants challange, but people that want to feel special because they can do something others cant. How can they feel special if everyone can do it…otherwise they would make content harder for themselves, for challenge sake.

wolfie.7296

What i find sad is fact that there was an army of complainers shouting everything is too hard, so they toned down Orr, and world bosses, and alot of events.

It’s not sad if it’s true. Respawn on many areas is not a matter of being just hard, it’s immersion breaking to have everything reappear behind you the moment you advance a couple of steps. In addition to that, some events can’t be done with a couple of players or solo, so you never get to complete them because the maps are empty or other players have done them. So there are a couple of issues there that reveal flaws in the game that isn’t fun at all.

Posted by: Fenrir.3609

Fenrir.3609

When they work out how to make a scaling system that isn’t completely borked. When they remove culling from pve and when they add in a decent loot table system for said events. Then yeah.

At the current moment in time though? No thanks.

(edited by Fenrir.3609)

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

What i find sad is fact that there was an army of complainers shouting everything is too hard, so they toned down Orr, and world bosses, and alot of events.

It’s not sad if it’s true. Respawn on many areas is not a matter of being just hard, it’s immersion breaking to have everything reappear behind you the moment you advance a couple of steps. In addition to that, some events can’t be done with a couple of players or solo, so you never get to complete them because the maps are empty or other players have done them. So there are a couple of issues there that reveal flaws in the game that isn’t fun at all.

People complained that they cant run thru orr like a football field due to mobs packing alot of cc…then few days ago i read some guys post that mobs in Orr should have more cc skill to make things more interesting and challenging.

wolfie.7296

People complained that they cant run thru orr like a football field due to mobs packing alot of cc…then few days ago i read some guys post that mobs in Orr should have more cc skill to make things more interesting and challenging.

Imo it should be looked at as how much irritation it causes. I find mobs go down way too slowly..I mean 12-20 hits with a greatsword on a mob is stupid. It should be little pieces spread all over the ground, not as durable as if it’s made of stone. What anet seem to do with the mob thing is just evenly spread them out so that if a player wants to avoid them there is no path of least resistance to find (with the dullest lack of variation in the mobs too). And have it so that you fight a mob and can’t take a step as soon as one falls. Combined with how long they take to down and how little reward it is and the sometimes almost immediate respawns it’s a chore. I hate killing mobs in gw2 for the above reasons and leveling after say 30, is simply tedious. To address your problem in the quote, a path of least resistance or more variety in density would seem to be the way to handle it but anet seems too lacking in imagination/too lazy/or-and doesn’t even bother to do anything like that. mobs should go down quickly too (and do more damage if necessary).

(edited by wolfie.7296)

Posted by: Nightarch.2943

Nightarch.2943

/signed

Guild Wars 2 is not a sequel to the original Guild Wars but merely an alternative story setting.

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Open world events are meant to be easy, they are casual pve. Dungeons are made for the hardcore in this game, that’s the whole reason they were put in there.

Unless you aren’t talking about all of them just the boss events, then yea they need scaling but the other events don’t they just need their loot behaviors adjusted so people don’t hit DR while fighting temporary mobs in Orr that only appear for a few minutes.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I just took a look at the state of the temples on US servers and Arah, Balthazar, and Grenth are in a state of 100% failure, on all servers. Other temples are more 80-90% failure. A rational human looks at the reality of open world PvE and is quite puzzled with calls to increase the difficulty. I’m puzzled too.

kitten wagging, that’s why.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

Of all the bosses/events, I’d say Fire Shaman by far is the most annoying to me.

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Of all the bosses/events, I’d say Fire Shaman by far is the most annoying to me.

More than Lyssas gorilla? or a more recent version, Champion Settler and their “red circles are bigger than they appear and oh by the way I got homing rocks too”

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I am tempted to brand the latter kind of posts as non-playing trolls, just out to make life hell for everyone else by pumping up the difficulty while they chain-run COF or Queensdale event loops.

Btw, ANet admitted that spawns in Orr was bugged. The place had more mobs in certain areas than ANet had originally designed for. Meaning that Orr at launch was more difficult than ANet had designed it to be.

Posted by: Geotherma.2395

Geotherma.2395

More than Lyssas gorilla? or a more recent version, Champion Settler and their “red circles are bigger than they appear and oh by the way I got homing rocks too”

Aside from temples and LS stuff :P Hes just straight annoying lol Multiple changes, aoe’s everywhere, quick damage because your capped. I’ve never seen more than 5-10 people do that event :P

Intel i7 3.9ghz processor 16GB Ram 2TB HDD
Nvidia GTX 650 Win 7 64bit FFXI 4+yrs/Aion 4+ years Complete Noob~ Veteran OIF/OEF
http://everyonesgrudge.enjin.com/home MY GW2 Music http://tinyurl.com/cm4o6tu

Khisanth.2948

Aside from temples and LS stuff :P Hes just straight annoying lol Multiple changes, aoe’s everywhere, quick damage because your capped. I’ve never seen more than 5-10 people do that event :P

I have. Just did it the other day. It’s pretty much unplayable. The most enjoyable experience doing Lyssa temple was when we did it with 3 people. It was challenging in that misusing a skill or failing to help someone who is down probably would have meant failure but it was not stupidly difficult because everything kills/downs you in one hit that you probably didn’t/couldn’t see because of the particle effects and just from having all the people around. Having to deal with summons and then to have another thing one shot you from behind is not anywhere near a fun experience.

I think the designers are just being too lazy and using the downed state and one shot skills as a crutch for “press button to make difficult content”.

I am still waiting for them to implement the horizontal scaling they mentioned before launch. When they mentioned “new scaling” I was hoping that would be the case but it turns out it was just “hits harders and has more HP”.

(edited by Khisanth.2948)

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Grenth and balthazar aren’t easy, they almost always fail. Jungle worm and frost maw need to be harder.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Khisanth.2948

Grenth and balthazar aren’t easy, they almost always fail. Jungle worm and frost maw need to be harder.

Grenth – I don’t do it much so I could easily be missing something but it seems to be mostly RNG based death. Player skill or lack of it doesn’t seem to matter much here. There may be a tiny bit of skill involved with the various bits but it is mostly random.

Balthazar – the best way to succeed is not to try at all? Since the NPCs do not seem to scale but the enemies do then the obviously solution is to not do the event(the escort) and only have the minimum number of players involved. This isn’t a very good solution since people will end up joining the event just because it is up. Telling people to not join is never going to end well. Finally who likes escorting useless NPCs?