Open World PvP is here!

Open World PvP is here!

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

“They don’t want dueling in the game.” That is what you said in one post and then minutes later you say, “I don’t know what they want to do. They don’t tell us.”

You’re not very good at logic, and you’re arguing for the sake of the argument. You don’t like to take no for an answer and this is exactly why so many players do not want any sort of open world PvP. People like you are toxic about that topic.

I said “I don’t know what they want to do”, with relation to the topics you brought up. Cantha, Elonia, races, professions.

I can tell you what they “do not want to do”, because actions often speak louder than words. Anet treated the bug in Remnants, as a bug, and they fixed it in record time. Check out the bug lists in the professions forums. Fixing this open world PvP situation was a priority. Obviously they are working to avoid any sort of PvP in the open world.

I’m looking forward to your next less than logical statement.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

From everything I’ve seen, I still think they are wanting to eventually add dueling to the game. I couldn’t say the same thing about open world. They would have had to build the game with that in mind, which they didn’t. They decided on wvw instead, which is more than fine.
My previous posts you addressed had nothing to do with open world pvp.

Not everyone is going to agree on the same things, I’m okay with that. Lets just agree to disagree.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

From everything I’ve seen, I still think they are wanting to eventually add dueling to the game. I couldn’t say the same thing about open world.

Yes, that is an important distinction. Yes, it is possible that they might want to add a dueling option to the game (through sPvP or WvW mode), even though they have stated several times, that the game was never balanced around 1v1 and they have no intention to change that. Open world dueling however, doesn’t seem to be something they might want to see. The fact that they have fixed the bandit buff sideeffect so fast clearly points that they considered it a very serious bug – something they definitely didn’t want to see in their game.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: khani.4786

khani.4786

In CoX (City of Heroes/Villians) there were open world zones that were PvP zones. While it wasn’t somewhere I went regularly, I went there occasionally to do badge hunting and exploring and just to check it out.

What if we had one or two zones about the size of Dry Top/Silverwastes that allow open world PvP. It can even be worked into the living story by the following:

• There would still be Mordrem and other hostile mobs in the zone.
  • There would be a few events that can be completed by 1-5 people.
  • Players in your party are the only ones that you cannot attack or be attacked by. OR another way would be to create a squad with a commander tag and anyone in that squad would remain non-hostile. This might give the commander tag another use and might even open a way to allow for GvG in a zone such as this.
  • Entering the zone causes players to be infected by Mordrem Spores and gives a condition called “Muddle”. “Muddle” causes players to no longer know who or what is on their side and anyone and anything there not in their party is a hostile entity.
  • Going through this portal gives a player a pop up stating that the zone is infected with spores and that anyone can attack them there (PvP Zone). This gives everyone forewarning so they know before going there that it is a hostile zone.

Not everyone would want to go there, but it would be clearly marked as a PvP zone. It would give those folks who want the ability to do open world pvp a place to go.

As it isn’t something that I personally would want I don’t know if this would work or not but it might be a starting place for people to talk about how this might or might not work.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Can we just keep PvP in PvP zones and PvE in PvE zones?

We’re talking about having a dueling option, not Free for All PvP.
Stop panicking about map completion.

Also, I don’t think Anet is making PvP zones, so we’ll have to PvP somewhere else than these old WvW maps if they want us to keep playing the game.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Arcangel the Reaper.9418

Arcangel the Reaper.9418

Not sure if this has been said, but, because you are able to fight other players by in a sense siding with the bandits, maybe they are considering introducing factions (similar to Kurzicks and Luxons in GW1) and allowing pvp combat in certain zones between factions? So you can either side with Pact or Bandits for example and depending on who you side with the people of the opposite faction are the ones you openly fight.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Doon.2364

Doon.2364

I’m glad Arena fix this bug in a jiffy. Player ganking in pve zone should never be available. Open PvP should never exist in this game. Keeping the two playing modes seperate is what makes this game stand out from other mmo.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

Open world PvP is fine, so long as the player has a choice whether to participate or not. Whether thats a PvP zone (that a player doesn’t have to enter) or open world dueling (that a player can disable), so long as it is not forced on players who do not enjoy PvP, in any shape or form, it is fine.

Some games have done it right others have done it wrong. If Anet do add some kind of open world PvP I am sure they will do it very carefully and will do it right. Whether they can make it fun is another topic entirely.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Azure The Heartless.3261

Azure The Heartless.3261

It’s gone as of this patch. This is the most definitive sign ever from Anet that they do not want open world PvP.

Please enjoy ArcheAge.

They’ve removed it????

Yep it looks like it wasn’t intended to work that way.

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-November-4-2014/first#post4541463

Fixed an issue in which players who paid to safely enter a bandit camp in the Silverwastes were attackable by normal players.

Died a little inside.

nonononNONONONO NONONONO

PUT IT BACK

ANET PLS

Resident Disgruntled, Coffee-drinking Charr.
Zarin Mistcloak(THF) Valkyrie Mistblade(WAR) Kossori Mistwalker(REV) Durendal Mistward(GRD)
I used to think (build op, pls nerf) like you, but then I took a nerf to the knee.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Irina.7418

Irina.7418

Didn’t read most of the thread.

In my opinion, dueling or open pvp is only a waste of time. In the end, it would simply be a failure. The game is not balanced around dueling, and some classes/specs would be simply OP compared to everything else.

Let’s take an example. They introduce dueling, it took X months to create it. You, as a mesmer, are wandering somewhere when a thief provoke you to a duel. Who in his right mind would accept? Same thing if you are a warrior and there is a mesmer who is provoking you into a duel. The result of the duel : Thief win 90% of his match-ups (yeah, that’s how the thief is balanced around, and P/D thief is pretty much unkillable), PU mesmer win more or less the same.

If you think about a map where people can team up to smack other groups, just go in wvw.

A map where every other player is an ennemy would create the same thing as dueling, giving a crazy advantage to dueling classes (aka stealth classes)

The result : only a few classes would be played. A failure due to a lack of 1v1 balance. Took X months wasting time for developers who could have made something useful instead.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Herr der Friedhoefe.2490

Also, I don’t think Anet is making PvP zones, so we’ll have to PvP somewhere else than these old WvW maps if they want us to keep playing the game.

I think you’re right. They’re probably not making any new PvP zones, because they want you to use the custom arenas, and buy time tickets.

My posts are facts as I know them, or my own opinion, and do not represent any guild.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Dueling has nothing to do with 1v1 balance imo. I have yet to play any mmo with 1v1 balanced out, hell I have never played a balanced mmo.

The term balance is used in description of an ongoing process through a mmo lifecycle.
mmorpg’s have too many variables to even be considered balanced w/different setups in gear, lvl, trait/skill setup, weapon types, professions, utility, runes, sigils, etc..

It’s for fun and player created events.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

There are opportunity costs to most choices in game design. I believe:

1. The opportunity cost for dueling would be fairly low. The possible negatives of dueling could be offset by offering an opt-in that players would check in options to enable dueling. You don’t want to duel, don’t check that box.
  2. The opportunity cost to implement open world PvP would be high. A lot of developer resources would be required to make open world PvP make sense — and I believe ANet would be unwilling to just slap it in in a haphazard fashion. It would also require its own server or a separate mega-server cluster so those who want to use it could and those who want to avoid it could.

That’s why I am in favor of dueling being implemented, but not open PvP, and why I believe ANet will implement 1 at some point, but not 2.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Obviously they are working to avoid any sort of PvP in the open world.

According to their actions Anet does not want PvP in the open world that is caused by a bug. Anything more than that is supposition.

ANet has stated that they would like to add open world dueling at some point in the future. That does not mean that they will. Wanting to do something, or even liking the idea of something, does not mean that one will do that thing. Similarly not liking something or not wanting to do something does not mean that one will not do that thing.

And This:

1. The opportunity cost for dueling would be fairly low. The possible negatives of dueling could be offset by offering an opt-in that players would check in options to enable dueling. You don’t want to duel, don’t check that box.
  2. The opportunity cost to implement open world PvP would be high. A lot of developer resources would be required to make open world PvP make sense — and I believe ANet would be unwilling to just slap it in in a haphazard fashion. It would also require its own server or a separate mega-server cluster so those who want to use it could and those who want to avoid it could.

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

That’s why I am in favor of dueling being implemented, but not open PvP, and why I believe ANet will implement 1 at some point, but not 2.

Open world pvp would also pull too many players from WvW & Spvp, I don’t see it ever happening. Maybe a small gurubashi style arena placed out in the world, but a full pvp server or open world pvp one can only hope GW3.

I imagine they could come up with some pretty interesting duel request gem store items, basically a finisher used to request a duel, or an item that goes off when winning one.

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

Open World PvP is here!

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

From everything I’ve seen, I still think they are wanting to eventually add dueling to the game. I couldn’t say the same thing about open world.

Yes, that is an important distinction. Yes, it is possible that they might want to add a dueling option to the game (through sPvP or WvW mode), even though they have stated several times, that the game was never balanced around 1v1 and they have no intention to change that. Open world dueling however, doesn’t seem to be something they might want to see. The fact that they have fixed the bandit buff sideeffect so fast clearly points that they considered it a very serious bug – something they definitely didn’t want to see in their game.

I mostly agree with all this. One thing, though. I’ve never played an mmo with dueling that was balanced 1v1. Dueling is just a fun super casual thing to do. It is not supposed to be balanced and anyone expecting it as such would be seriously misinformed.
I agree that they don’t want open world pvp. If they wanted it, the game would have started with it.