Opening Champ Bags: L55 or L80?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

In recent posts, there’s a lot of confuzzlement about whether it’s better to open champion bags on a mid-level character or on a max level character. This is completely understandable, because (a) the value of mid-tier mats has dropped since people started doing this (making it less worthwhile); (b) we have better data to compare what’s really going on; (c.) the data isn’t as good as people think it is, making it difficult to draw clear conclusions.

The tl;dr is:

• When opening fewer than 1,000 bags, RNG is more important than other factors right now; use whatever character is most convenient for you rather than sweating this decision.
  • For those opening in bulk:
    • Use a mid-tier toon to avoid dealing with bloodstone dust.
    • Use an L80 if you want the dust or the remote chance of a precursor.

Your mileage will vary considerably and will be affected by the markets. When the markets change due to HoT (or anything else), keep an eye on the relative value of the different tiers of mats; that could change these recommendations drastically.

Here’s the gorier details:

The value of the drops from champ bags can be divided into a couple of categories, only some of which are affected by the level of the character opening:
Not Affected By Level

• Fine mats. In theory, drop rates for these should be identical. (In practice, even for 1,000 bags, the rate varies.)
  • Rare Crafting materials; same as above.
  • Bag-specific exotics. These are named and drop regardless of level. However, see below. Example: Truth.
  • Miscellaneous: karma, luck don’t seem to be affected by level.

Affected by Level

• Common mats, which drop from salvaging masterwork gear.
  • Other exotics: these do not drop for lower-level characters (the cutoff is ~L60, since L62 is lowest-level exotic). For named exotics — including precursors — the cutoff is probably L75. Example: Deathwish.
  • Bloodstone dust. Obviously only drops for L80s.
  • Rares: see below. Hard to compare due to how data is reported.

In theory, we should be able to ignore the top list (not affected by level) and compare just the bottom list. It turns out, that’s difficult to do, due to RNG and problems with data collection. Rares are especially confusing: most people posting data tend to salvage or TP the rares and then report on the money; they don’t necessarily keep track of how many rares at what level. Further, they don’t always track the value of rates separately from that of other things sold.

What we can see by observation is that some L53-55 rares are worth far more than an ecto and some worth far less. We can also see that rares make up a significant portion of the level-variable value of the bag. This makes it more challenging to compare “true” value. Again, because a lot of people sell/salvage rares before reporting, it’s hard to compare what’s going on with drop rates.

I’ve entered data from several users into a spreadsheet to track the comparative values across different levels of characters. It’s pretty clear to me that RNG plays as big a factor right now as character level. For example, getting a few extra charged lodestones jumps the value of a set of bags, as well as getting even one L80 exotic that isn’t part of the bag’s special loot.

So to reiterate my conclusions at the top:

• RNG matters more than your level, at least for the last few months.
  • Decide which character to open based on your convenience: do you want bloodstone or not, do you want a chance for low-drop exotics, do you want to just salvage without thinking about it too much.
John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Grover.8753

Grover.8753

It’s a waste to open on a level 55. Do you or do you not want ectos? If you are after mats from level 55 just use the green bags from Silverwastes. You get 2-3 per event containing 3 items which all salvage to mats worth more than the t5. Champ bags at 55 is throwing away rares and ectos, which, staffs, GS’s, Daggers, sell for 65-85s each.

(edited by Grover.8753)

Posted by: TheBlackLeech.9360

TheBlackLeech.9360

I’m pretty sure you open the bags on a lvl 80 and salvage on a lvl 55 if you want to be optimal….. and if i’m not mistaken.

I’m not sure if its the level of the gear that determines the salvage or the level of the player doing the salvaging tbh.

Posted by: Phoebe Ascension.8437

Phoebe Ascension.8437

Level of gear is what matters, not level of character.

To be clear: A green light armor level 80 is gonna salvage into silk (level 80 material) (not linen – lvl55).

Legendary weapons can be hidden now!
No excuse anymore for not giving ‘hide mounts’-option
No thanks to unidentified weapons.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I used to open my Champ bags on a level 60 (for linen). But now I’m after silk (oh, why did I sell all those stacks of silk before?? lol), so I open them on a L80. /shrug

Posted by: Zetsumei.4975

Zetsumei.4975

Wait does that mean opening them on a low level character deletes your chances of getting a precursor from the bags? And are you absolutely sure?

Kurodaraku – Necromancer | Kuroshikon – Ranger
Officer of [DEX] Deus Ex Machina Eu and [Fus] Fus Ro Dâh
Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Wait does that mean opening them on a low level character deletes your chances of getting a precursor from the bags? And are you absolutely sure?

If you’re not high enough level to get exotic drops from corpses, you won’t get a precursor as a drop from anything. You’ll still have a chance of getting the Champ Bag Exotics (Lord Taeres Shadow, Crustacea, Anton’s Boot Blade, Bonetti’s Rapier, Genesis, etc.) from Champ Bags because those can drop for any character level. But precursor won’t happen.

(edited by RoseofGilead.8907)

Illconceived Was Na.9781

If you’re not high enough level to get exotic drops from corpses, you won’t get a precursor as a drop from anything. You’ll still have a chance of getting the Champ Bag Exotics (Lord Taeres Shadow, Crustacea, Anton’s Boot Blade, Bonetti’s Rapier, Genesis, etc.) from Champ Bags because those can drop for any character level. But precursor won’t happen.

Yes, I’m absolutely sure. Rose’s notes are well documented by various different players opening 1,000s of bags: you can get the special exotics associated with a particular bag, but not any of the others, including random armor (with or without good runes).

Posted by: chemie banger.9624

chemie banger.9624

Ty . I’m still working on the space to open my bags and report =)

Posted by: Khristophoros.7194

Khristophoros.7194

It’s a waste to open on a level 55. Do you or do you not want ectos? If you are after mats from level 55 just use the green bags from Silverwastes. You get 2-3 per event containing 3 items which all salvage to mats worth more than the t5. Champ bags at 55 is throwing away rares and ectos, which, staffs, GS’s, Daggers, sell for 65-85s each.

The green bags have a much higher chance of yielding rares and exotics than the champ bags, so it is a huge waste to open them on a low level character. The reason why it’s like this is that they always drop 3 pieces of equipment instead of 1 piece + mats. The only difference in the equipment is that the champ bags have named exotics included in their drop table. The chances that each piece may be rare or exotic is the same.

Posted by: Narrrz.7532

Narrrz.7532

The green bags have a much higher chance of yielding rares and exotics than the champ bags, so it is a huge waste to open them on a low level character. The reason why it’s like this is that they always drop 3 pieces of equipment instead of 1 piece + mats. The only difference in the equipment is that the champ bags have named exotics included in their drop table. The chances that each piece may be rare or exotic is the same.

If that’s the case, you should still be opening both on a toon of the same level. It just means the ‘uncommon gear’ bag is equivalent to opening 3 champ bags.

You should, on average, get 3x the rares/exotics from a bag of gear as from a single champ bag, but you will also get 3x as many common mats. so if a lower level common mat has an edge in value over a higher tier one, it’s still more profitable to open on a low level.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Since I have nothing better to do, I am going to put this to the test.

I know that 300 bags nets me about 40g if I open and salvage everything on a level 51.

So I’ll try doing 300 on a level 80

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Unholy Pillager.3791

Unholy Pillager.3791

I know that 300 bags nets me about 40g if I open and salvage everything on a level 51.

Too small a sample to be remotely certain, sorry. You’d need thousands at least to draw much of a conclusion here, given how many possibilities there are and how rare some of them are.

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Too small a sample to be remotely certain, sorry. You’d need thousands at least to draw much of a conclusion here, given how many possibilities there are and how rare some of them are.

Maybe for the types of drops but not for the gold returned.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

Posted by: Mystic.5934

Mystic.5934

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/3idext/level_52_vs_level_80_champ_bags/
per bag, there is less than 80c difference between level 52 and 80 (if anything, 80 gives more due to more karma and SS).
Personally, I recommend opening them on the level that you would use the materials more of (if you use a lot of T4 mats, open on 55, if you use a lot of ecto, open on 80. If you’re just going to sell everything, doesn’t matter)

20,000 bags opened on level 55, no precursor.
10,401 bags opened on a level 80, no precursor.
I have yet to meet anyone who has got a precursor from a level 80 champ bag, much less a level 55 champ bag.

Illconceived Was Na.9781