Opinion: Feeling less like an MMORPG

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

Don’t try and force what? I love this game, and it gives me everything I want from an MMo and a single player game.

It is you that seems to have incorrect expectations of a game you don’t seem to like.

No issues here

No, you don’t like MMOs. If you don’t like people, and MMOs were designed to be played with people, then you don’t like MMOs.

If fails as an MMO precisely BECAUSE of the things you like about it, and that’s why player engagement has tumbled.

Posted by: Bastion.2457

Bastion.2457

Don’t try and force what? I love this game, and it gives me everything I want from an MMo and a single player game.

It is you that seems to have incorrect expectations of a game you don’t seem to like.

No issues here

No, you don’t like MMOs. If you don’t like people, and MMOs were designed to be played with people, then you don’t like MMOs.

If fails as an MMO precisely BECAUSE of the things you like about it, and that’s why player engagement has tumbled.

So based on the game that actually exists and is real, loved by loads of people, is raking in cash, selling by the bucketful and I love too, I am wrong, based on your opinion of a game that does not exist, isn’t real, and isn’t at all available?

What you are saying is I am wrong for liking the game as it was designed, and you are right for hating it because it wasn’t designed how you expect games to work?

Zeldain.5710

No issues here

So based on the game that actually exists and is real, and loved by loads of people, and I love too, I am wrong, based on your opinion of a game that does not exist, isn’t real, and isn’t at all available?

What you are saying is I am wrong for liking the game as it was designed, and you are right for hating it because it wasn’t designed how you expect games to work?

I’m not telling yo that you don’t like the game. You like the game.

Others like the game.

But it is not liked as an MMO by players that love MMOs. That is where it is failing.

The Fractals, Ascended gear, etc… why you think they did that? They are trying to remedy it.

Posted by: critickitten.1498

critickitten.1498

They you simply don’t like MMOs. Don’t try and force it.

No, I like MMOs just fine. And I have fun whether playing by myself or with other people.

I just don’t like the sort of nasty, berating, godawful people that they naturally accumulate, like a fungus that won’t go away.

The problem isn’t with the game, it’s with the people. The game is plenty fun, and whenever I’m playing with other friendly people, I have an absolute blast. The problem is with these people who insist that the game be played THEIR WAY OR ELSE, the sort of people who would “quit the game 4eva” over a single thing in a single patch they don’t like and yet will stay in the forums just to troll those who are still having fun, the sort of people who are just generally unpleasant individuals. I hate people like that, and given that they compose the majority of MMO players, it’s fair to claim that I hate people as a general statement.

Remember when our developers talked about “strengthening the core game”?
How’d that work out for us so far?
Now let’s try some ideas that will really work.

Bastion.2457

They you simply don’t like MMOs. Don’t try and force it.

No, I like MMOs just fine. And I have fun whether playing by myself or with other people.

I just don’t like the sort of nasty, berating, godawful people that they naturally accumulate, like a fungus that won’t go away.

The problem isn’t with the game, it’s with the people. The game is plenty fun, and whenever I’m playing with other friendly people, I have an absolute blast. The problem is with these people who insist that the game be played THEIR WAY OR ELSE, the sort of people who would “quit the game 4eva” over a single thing in a single patch they don’t like and yet will stay in the forums just to troll those who are still having fun, the sort of people who are just generally unpleasant individuals. I hate people like that, and given that they compose the majority of MMO players, it’s fair to claim that I hate people as a general statement.

Glad to see im not the only one to see behind the veil – Agreed 200%.

Posted by: skotie.2614

skotie.2614

Yeah it’s funny how people play MMORPG’s but don’t like other people, You’d think if you only wanted PVP but hated working co-op with other people you’d be playing a shooter with an online game like Black Ops 2. But if you didn’t like anyone playing with you at all why bother playing online. Honestly that’s most of the fun with MMORPG’s. I doubt anyone can talk about their favorite MMO without talking about memories of good times with friends, everything else is just something you could get from a single player game.

(edited by skotie.2614)

Posted by: Amra.6028

Amra.6028

As long as I see people around, it has a certain feel of MMO to it.
But as they resorted to putting the most rewarding content -against the playerbase- into the most crowded city, well – it’s their fault the game feels a lot emptier.

Posted by: skotie.2614

skotie.2614

@Bastion.

Would you also love playing a first person shooter online where the only human being playing it was yourself against an army of NPC’s? If the answer is yes why bother playing online, this is the same as an offline first person shooter.

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

I’ve hear the new Rift expansion adds auto-grouping for their DE’s. It sounds like you actually see their nameplates in your gui, etc. Anyone have an experience with that and how does that help socializing? I do know they have LFG tools.

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

I’m loving the PvE while leveling. It’s the best PvE experience I’ve ever had in any MMO I’ve played, including WoW, FFXI, DAoC, and WAR. The open world seems so well developed in all the details and the world feels far more vibrant and active than anything else I’ve played. I see plenty of players around, far far far more than I see in any other MMO.

Your expectations are completely unrealistic. You want every zone to be packed with players doing leveling events, yet name one MMO that has this. Even the most popular MMO of all time has completely dead and empty zones for most of your leveling experience.

Horrorscope.7632

Your expectations are completely unrealistic. You want every zone to be packed with players doing leveling events, yet name one MMO that has this. Even the most popular MMO of all time has completely dead and empty zones for most of your leveling experience.

Not that you are speaking to me, but it’s a LOT closer to being possible then you are giving the possibility credit for.

One the “packed with players” could happen if they had everyone playing GW2 able to be in the same zone together and overflow from there. (Like GW1)

Games like SWOTR or DCUO went to “mega-server” technology and it really helps making areas feel much more alive. GWs 2 could easily be that imo and boom right there, tons of people in all zones.

Next to make zones for an 80 to go back to. They have good downscalling now (could be tweaked a little) all they need is resources to be in those zones they need and boom, they will come.

Finally, like Wintersday, have special events and bigger DE’s that are Zone-cific and rotate them day to day. Wintersday is the first time I have a reason to see other cities in the game.

You put all those together, remove dungeons and you will have by far the greatest open world mmo ever created and that is something a lot of people wanted. When you go to mmo sites and lay out their dreams, this is a very common one. They’ve fixed several things I hated about open world.

Posted by: Tristavel.9218

Tristavel.9218

Yeah it’s funny how people play MMORPG’s but don’t like other people, You’d think if you only wanted PVP but hated working co-op with other people you’d be playing a shooter with an online game like Black Ops 2. But if you didn’t like anyone playing with you at all why bother playing online. Honestly that’s most of the fun with MMORPG’s. I doubt anyone can talk about their favorite MMO without talking about memories of good times with friends, everything else is just something you could get from a single player game.

That attitude seems like the polar opposite of Bastion’s opinion. Myself, I’m more in the middle on this topic.

I’m like 60% with Bastion on the issue, even though I don’t share his “hating people” sentiment. I don’t know about others, but my experience with random players in the wild was mostly (and sometimes extremely) positive, and in the worst cases – neutral (but maybe I’m just pretty thick – skinned?). Still, positive memories vastly outweigh the bad ones.

The thing is, while I dabbled in some MMO’s in the past, I really hated how rigid they felt in terms of gameplay. I have no problems playing with random people, but I detest being forced to group (and not just with anyone willing but with a set number of people playing specific set of roles/professions) to achieve absolutely anything noteworthy. It felt extremely limiting, not to mention it led to extreme waste of time on “looking for healer” whining. In a way, permanent groups/guilds make this even worse, because then I’m partially responsible for what other members of such group can achieve, meaning that my eventual decision to quit for the time being negatively affects everyone’s experience. Overall it was not enough “fun” and too much “serious business”.

Because of this GW2 is actually a perfect MMO for me. I truly enjoy group events and the way “ad hoc parties” are created for specific purpose, or simply running around the map with a bunch of people depopulating entire zones in their wake, assisting low level people with my main or getting assistance from random lvl 80’s when playing a lowbie alt, I like pinging event WP’s and seeing people swarm to the scene (or not… sometimes help comes, sometimes it doesn’t, but that’s the beauty of it). I really enjoy all that, but I also love the fact that I’m not forced to do any of this, and can just play the game in my own pace if I wish so.

I don’t know if GW2 will succeed or fail in the long run, but I really wish Anet all the best, because, for me, this game has the best parts of a typical MMO, but without the most annoying elements of the genre. If that makes it a “MMO – lite” designed for casuals, then be it.

Posted by: exaltedwarlock.4651

exaltedwarlock.4651

I disagree on every point the OP made. On my server there are people EVERYWHERE adn groups mobbing the elites and events all the time, it’s hella fun.

I see you dislike every option people made, why don’t you go play something else if you hate it so much?

This game is infinitely better than any other mmorpg, and I have a blast running around doing events. And, for the record, starting zones DO reward you occasionally with level appropriate gear – i’m level 42 and I hang around queensdale a lot to do stuff with friends and i often get drops for my level.

and my server is very crowded, but unlike other mmorpgs where crowded = kill stealing, ninjas, and standing around waiting for respawns more people = way more fun. i don’t know what ghost town you’re on but my server is hopping all the time and i never am having to do an event solo.

Horrorscope.7632

On my server there are people EVERYWHERE adn groups mobbing the elites and events all the time, it’s hella fun.

and my server is very crowded,

Unless you are Bogarting it, could you please tell me what server you are on, so I could join? Thanks.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

I pick other zones to loiter in all the time with my two highest characters. To do dailies, or just tool around looking for DEs or whatever.

What I don’t understand is why more people don’t? I get level 7n-ish items when I’m playing in lower level areas. I find it fun. Not ‘every’ item is, is that the problem? Is it because there’s a 0.0045% “flux variance differential coefficient sliding scale slippery slope and then sheep and where does it all end?” number crunching that happens and so the yellows/greens/blues per hour graph shows that it’s not as efficient? And you get the best results with a 34/52/78 spec with a sword in your left hand, a shield on your back, and a Chaz Lawler Super-Cool bracelet on to ensure your crit is 0.006% more flags (which is clearly more fun, as has been scientifically proven)?

I think I found the problem.

“MMOs are other people” – Satre
“MMOs ‘are’ people!” – Charlton Heston

Posted by: Serina.8652

Serina.8652

Now, I admitt I havent read the entire thread, sorry about that. Just wanted to give my opinion on this matter since I am somwhat of a “tabula rasa” (empty sheet, unwritten paper, ect ect) on this matter.
I only started somewhat recently, my main, (and only char) is lvl 72. I have no previous experience with the GW world. Although so far I gotta say when it comes to world/lore wise, they done a damn good job! Finally a fantasy game that creates an original world of their own that got a feeling of depth to it!

Ahem…. anyway. on the subject. Unfortunaly this have almost never since the day I started felt like an mmo.
I always run around solo, the chats are alway pretty much dead, even in Lion’s Arch (which from my understanding so far is considered a gathering point) the chat is really slow.
Sure, during my time leveling I did encounter another players from time to time, but even then “silence” was the trademark for those encounters. No one said a word.
If my memory serves me right I think the most I heard from another player (outside the 1 group I managed to be in since started playing) was " ", this was when I just happend to come across a player who just got downed. I cleared the few low health mobs, got him up, got that reply and we both then ran off.

Now, by no means am saying I wanted a long speech declaring his undying loyalty to me or anything like that, it was a pretty nice way to say “thanks” imo. but meh, so far I havent felt like this is an mmo.

Posted by: Rhysati.4932

Rhysati.4932

No issues here

So based on the game that actually exists and is real, and loved by loads of people, and I love too, I am wrong, based on your opinion of a game that does not exist, isn’t real, and isn’t at all available?

Others like the game.

But it is not liked as an MMO by players that love MMOs. That is where it is failing.

The Fractals, Ascended gear, etc… why you think they did that? They are trying to remedy it.

It’s not liked by players that love MMOs…really? I happen to love it as an MMO AND I love MMOs. I’ve been playing them since my first back with NexusTK(and old 2d sprite mmo). You name it, I’ve likely played it. EQ, EQ Online Adventures, EQ2, WoW, AoC, WAR, STO, MxO, CoX, Planetside, Vanguard, DDO, LotRO, Rift, Aion, SWG, Auto Assault, Tabula Rasa, TOR, etc etc.

This game is a great MMO. I’m having a blast and it offers something different and unique. If I want a generic fantasy MMO that’s setup like every other MMO these days, I can go play WoW, LotRO, Rift, Aion, EQ, EQ2, TOR, etc. Why on earth do you think Guild Wars 2 needs to be the same exact game as all of those? If you don’t like it, then go play something else.

Posted by: LemurTron.9261

LemurTron.9261

the idea of “underflow” servers sounds appealing, such that pools of lower lvl’d characters would be able to interact with others more on the less populated maps

Posted by: projectcedric.6951

projectcedric.6951

The problem isn’t with the game, it’s with the people. The game is plenty fun, and whenever I’m playing with other friendly people, I have an absolute blast. The problem is with these people who insist that the game be played THEIR WAY OR ELSE, the sort of people who would “quit the game 4eva” over a single thing in a single patch they don’t like and yet will stay in the forums just to troll those who are still having fun, the sort of people who are just generally unpleasant individuals.

THIS!!

Some people here kid that whenever one person shows his or her support for the game on the forums, its an undercover dev.

I can say the same thing about the opposite – I’m almost pretty sure that those who post “this game is failz” in almost every thread for months must be planted by a competing company to install negativity in the player community here.

Otherwise, I just cant understand how a regular person who has so much other better things to do with his time than complain about a game he admittedly has stopped playing for a long while now, would do this.

I swear it is bordering on some serious psychological issues that require clinical attention.

Posted by: tic.7425

tic.7425

No issues here

Others like the game.

Is what you are saying is the game isn’t liked by MMO players that love gear treadmills?

Those aren’t the only kinds of MMOs, and theres plenty out there to choose from if thats what they are looking for.

Regardless of that…

I love MMOs, if theres such a thing, but they don’t all have to be the same, and i don’t have to like them all…

(edited by tic.7425)

Posted by: Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Zones other than max level are rarely populated in any MMO. That being said, I went to Queensdale a few days back and did the wasp queen 3 times. There was 30+ people each time.

You obviously never played FFXI. After 10 years, i can still level up a new class and find 30+ people at any given time levelling around my level range as well.

Maybe it’s because you only need one character and you can level all 20 classes that makes it much more likely for people to try out a new class. Instead of being limited to 3-5 alts.

A MMORPG should never have alts, you should be able to learn all classes on the same character. Why this is still not standard after 10 years, i will never understand.

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

This game was billed as an MMO for folks who didn’t like them, though.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

projectcedric.6951

This game was billed as an MMO for folks who didn’t like them, though.

I’m sure it’s just for slogan purposes. Its kind of a contradictory statement. Making an MMO “for people who don’t like MMO”. Does that even make sense?

Zeldain.5710

I’m sure it’s just for slogan purposes. Its kind of a contradictory statement. Making an MMO “for people who don’t like MMO”. Does that even make sense?

No it doesn’t, and now we see exactly how it turned out.

Posted by: Yviz.1053

Yviz.1053

Tell me about it. I’m Level 7 and have yet to see another human player on Metrica Province! I’ll give it one more try tonight and then I’m giving up. This is my first MMO and I was not expecting an online singleplayer game! I’ll probably never try another MMO again due to this bad experience. I mean, how come nobody else on the Blackgate server is leveling? Is everyone here max level already? No one is leveling an alt? No one just started playing this game recently but me?

(edited by Yviz.1053)

Posted by: Rhaj.5261

Rhaj.5261

This is why the need underflow servers

projectcedric.6951

Tell me about it. I’m Level 7 and have yet to see another human player on Metrica Province! I’ll give it one more try tonight and then I’m giving up. This is my first MMO and I was not expecting an online singleplayer game! I’ll probably never try another MMO again due to this bad experience. I mean, how come nobody else on the Blackgate server is leveling? Is everyone here max level already? No one is leveling an alt? No one just started playing this game recently but me?

You’re alone in this world.

Forever alone.

And life has no meaning.

Yaki.9563

Zones other than max level are rarely populated in any MMO. That being said, I went to Queensdale a few days back and did the wasp queen 3 times. There was 30+ people each time.

You obviously never played FFXI. After 10 years, i can still level up a new class and find 30+ people at any given time levelling around my level range as well.

Maybe it’s because you only need one character and you can level all 20 classes that makes it much more likely for people to try out a new class. Instead of being limited to 3-5 alts.

A MMORPG should never have alts, you should be able to learn all classes on the same character. Why this is still not standard after 10 years, i will never understand.

You mean you can play in the one zone that people use for leveling and while the other 95% of zones are completely empty?

FFXI leveling:
1-30 summoner burn /afk
30-99 Abyssea fighting the same exact mobs the entire time

Now that sounds exactly like what this game needs!

Yaki.9563

Every other MMO is exactly like this. It’s simply not a priority to keep players using the first 1% of the game’s content.

That said, on my server I still see plenty of people around in the starting areas.

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

When every fractal run gives you 1-3 golds, a reasonable chance at an exotic and a veritable downpour of blues and greens as well as huge silver drops, why would you farm anywhere else? They have massively imbalanced the rewards between fractals and the open world.

I get more loot from 1 fractal run than a couple of hours in the open world and 10x as much as what I would get at a Claw of Jormag event.

They need to fix champion loot so people actually travel the world looking for DEs (and therefore champion bosses).

Posted by: Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

Skyrant Kangaroomouse.7458

You mean you can play in the one zone that people use for leveling and while the other 95% of zones are completely empty?

FFXI leveling:
1-30 summoner burn /afk
30-99 Abyssea fighting the same exact mobs the entire time

Now that sounds exactly like what this game needs!

There is no such thing as summoner burns, that was 5 years ago and got fixed pretty quick. Abyssea has about 200 different mobs to choose from. You obviously have not played in a long time.

“The DR System is not restricting players, it just here to help them realize how they want to play!”

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

This is why the need underflow servers

I would like to see this.

Perhaps when a map population of any given server is 20 or less it joins other servers of the same map that also have 20 or less people in it. That way if 10 servers for a map are in ‘underflow’ you have a potential population of 200. This would dramatically combat deserted maps IMO (as long as it can be done of course).

Posted by: StormageddonBK.9842

StormageddonBK.9842

I would have designed it so that starter zones reward more karma, less loot and less gold. The mid zones reward less karma, more loot and less gold. The high zones reward less karma, less loot and more gold.

I think this is an ingenious solution and could help get people back into lower level areas.

projectcedric.6951

When every fractal run gives you 1-3 golds, a reasonable chance at an exotic and a veritable downpour of blues and greens as well as huge silver drops, why would you farm anywhere else? They have massively imbalanced the rewards between fractals and the open world.

I get more loot from 1 fractal run than a couple of hours in the open world and 10x as much as what I would get at a Claw of Jormag event.

They need to fix champion loot so people actually travel the world looking for DEs (and therefore champion bosses).

So the only criteria you have for choosing an activity to do is the amount and quality of loot from mob kills?

Moreover, why farm at all in a game that aggressively discourages farming? What are you gonna do with a heapload of wealth? Havent you heard enough from players who complain that after amassing a gazillion gold and karma, they find that they have nothing to do with it in the end?

Posted by: America.9437

America.9437

I would have designed it so that starter zones reward more karma, less loot and less gold. The mid zones reward less karma, more loot and less gold. The high zones reward less karma, less loot and more gold.

I think this is an ingenious solution and could help get people back into lower level areas.

Another incentive to go back to all areas of the world would be the events. Anet creates a series of events spanning a path from low level zones to the high level zones. The series is split into phases, where each phase begins and ends in a zone, and gives you a one time reward. Each phase is split into several events, giving you DR rewards that eventually reward nothing. Each phase and their events are reset back to normal rewards once you progess through the entire series. In short, it’s like doing a repeatable personal story again but without the cutscenes. Every couple of months the release another series spanning different areas of the world. All areas eventually get covered and populated with players. The entire world of Tyria becomes a dungeon.

However, I don’t think Anet wants to treat the entire world of Tyria as the one instance everyone logs into. They have all the hooks in place to do so, but I think they’re regressing backwards toward the old mmo models. They have their reasons. Another developer will come along implement it in time.

Horrorscope.7632

Tonight there was a noticeable change in loot dropped in the open world. Sure I need to run a few more days, but 2 exotics, 1 ecto, 2 dye’s, 2 Black Lion Keys and other decent loot for about 2 hours running level 70 Open World content. That’s definitely looking up.

Posted by: PlumChronicles.4057

PlumChronicles.4057

I rarely did Group Events even within weeks of launch because I just didn’t have the patience to wait for others to come around and help. It was only when others were already there that I’d participate, and even then it wasn’t that often. Maybe they could add NPCs to help with events based on the amount of players in a given area. That doesn’t sound very “MMO,” but then again you can’t really expect the lower level areas to stay populated forever when the goal of every player is to reach maximum level.

The game is still very much an MMO by definition, regardless of how it should “feel” based on your opinion. If you don’t believe me then take a trip to WvW and see if there’s any “MMO” going on there.

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

They need to hurry up and add alternative sources for Ascended gear, so people stop zerging to Fractals.

And personally, I think it has to be something in all zones, not just dungeons.

Also – I think it’s largely because the dynamic events are a bit sparse in some areas.
Sometimes I encounter a new event in an old zone, but often times, if I’m re-rolling or on an alt, I don’t feel like I’ve done anything new.

They need to make hearts a little more dynamic imo.

This stuff about improving the events is probably something only doable for an expansion though. Here’s hoping they do it well and make the current world richer on top of adding any new zones.

“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

He may have different expectations. I wouldn’t say incorrect. We all have our own expectations…yours are met, his are not.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Mian.1945

Mian.1945

So the only criteria you have for choosing an activity to do is the amount and quality of loot from mob kills?

Moreover, why farm at all in a game that aggressively discourages farming? What are you gonna do with a heapload of wealth? Havent you heard enough from players who complain that after amassing a gazillion gold and karma, they find that they have nothing to do with it in the end?

You don’t have to get angry, you might be the exception but 95% of humanity will naturally gravitate to higher rewards. Why is this a great mystery?

Horrorscope.7632

I don’t know but you reasoning overall sounds really really sound. Even though I feel zone population is a bit thin over on Maguma, I never go without seeing others, far from that. But I wouldn’t suggest changing servers, I like your definitiveness," my first and if I don’t never again" mentality. Keep the standards high!

Horrorscope.7632

I disagree on every point the OP made. On my server there are people EVERYWHERE adn groups mobbing the elites and events all the time, it’s hella fun.

Would you mind sharing which server you are on? I’m getting this “my server” thing going on, would you please just name it? I’m on Maguma, it’s no secret nor is it mine, I wouldn’t mind a more popular open world server. Thanks in advance.

Bastion.2457

One question I always ask myself though, is that if all of these other MMo’s people quote so much as “GW2 needs to be more like XYZ MMo”, then why are these people here playing this one, and not there, playing that one?

People seem to do an awfully good job of claiming the grass is greener on the other side, but are seldom found there.

(edited by Bastion.2457)

Posted by: Hellkaiser.6025

Hellkaiser.6025

One question I always ask myself though, is that if all of these other MMo’s people quote so much as “GW2 needs to be more like XYZ MMo”, then why are these people here playing this one, and not there, playing that one?

People seem to do an awfully good job of claiming the grass is greener on the other side, but are seldom found there.

-Sigh-

translation:

“If you don’t like it stop playing it, and go elsewhere”

Gussy it up ANY way you like, and keep repeating it but you won’t change the desire to get this game living up to the expectations they raised themselves before release.
If you think we should all just shut up and play or leave, then clearly you’re not here to discuss anything, in which case why are you on the forums? that’s pretty much what they’re here for, feedback and discussion

That vapid and pointless generic “go elsewhere” response, is pretty much spam.

Irony…. xD

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

they have failed to deliver a convincing, replayable open world. end of story.

So what MMORPG has a better, more replayable world?

WoW, LOTRO or SW:TOR, where you go through exactly the same quests for each new character you level?

Or GW2, where you can go where you want to level, and the more you level, the more the whole world opens up to you?

Sorry, but your “argument” doesn’t work.

Would you mind sharing which server you are on? I’m getting this “my server” thing going on, would you please just name it? I’m on Maguma, it’s no secret nor is it mine, I wouldn’t mind a more popular open world server. Thanks in advance.

On Gandara (EU), there are people in all level ranges, and I regularly meet other players when leveling my alts.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Amra.6028

they have failed to deliver a convincing, replayable open world. end of story.

So what MMORPG has a better, more replayable world?

WoW, LOTRO or SW:TOR, where you go through exactly the same quests for each new character you level?

Or GW2, where you can go where you want to level, and the more you level, the more the whole world opens up to you?

Sorry, but your “argument” doesn’t work.

On Gandara (EU), there are people in all level ranges, and I regularly meet other players when leveling my alts.

It sure does, but only for people that should never ever have touched online games anyway.

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

It sure does, but only for people that should never ever have touched online games anyway.

Seems to me it’s more about people who don’t understand what “replayability” means.

Let’s take WoW:Pandaland for instance… to level in that expansion, there is ONE path. One zone per level range, you have no choice. And when you level an alt through “Pandaland”, you do exactly the same quests. Replayability? Very poor. Very boring. And I’m not a “WoW hater”, I have two accounts there and play since release in Nov. 2004, but I’m able to see the flaws of even my favorite games. I doubt I’ll ever run more than two characters through that expansion.

In GW2, the more you level, the more choice in the area you want to go to you have. You can level two characters without ever doing the same events/hearts twice. Tired of the war torn Charr areas? Enjoy the snowy areas of the Norn. Tired of winter sports? Enjoy the grassy farmlands of the humans. Tired of that too? Just move to the jungle of the Sylvari/Asura lands. And there’s no other restriction than your level, you can go back at lower level areas if you feel so and still be rewarded and progress. For instance, you don’t like Orr? You can get to 80 without ever going there.

What game offers the most “replayability”? It’s kinda obvious.

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Amra.6028

What game offers the most “replayability”? It’s kinda obvious.

This lack of replayability is what made players think MMORPGs are meant to be played through once, always focused on what lies beyond the chore of leveling. It’s why they claim there’s no end game here. Themeparks might as well not have any dungeons in the leveling parts, players wouldn’t mind, they’d rather claim it’s lots of endgame content.

Posted by: Grunties.6841

Grunties.6841

Three words – dungeons, Gem Store

Posted by: jason.9217

jason.9217

I have leveled a Ranger up to 80 but decided to roll a new character, an Elementalist. I am having a lot more fun with this profession and so my aim to get to 80 and make him my main character.

I recently hit level 38 and going through all the heart quests etc. But by each passing day I feel as though the MMO aspect of this game is fizzling out. Rarely do I get a chance to do these dynamic events with actual real life players. For the majority I do all events by myself and I have to leave the [group events] well alone as no one will come help with them on the map. I understand people want to level up to 80 as quick as possible now but levels 1-79 are pretty much a single player game.

The only time I ever ‘play’ with other players is in a small 5 man dungeon. Now to me that is not an MMO.

Is it a case of there are too little players on servers to fill up the maps?
or
Are the dynamic events just not worth it when you could be grinding through all those heart quests?

Leveling through 1-80 is getting very stale as after 30 there isn’t much change in my character. Yes I get traits and extra skills. But for the most part, I have chosen the best skills for PvE already. There is no need to alternate.

Loot is very boring also. There is certainly no item I have got below level 80 which has made me step back and go “Wow” and make me feel like a kitten. I can simply go to the Auction House and by my levels gear which is as cheap as chips.

I’d like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

More people are waking up to these facts and hopefully Anet is implementing a way to keep everyone happy and playing. In it’s current form the game will be pretty dead within a year.

Boardgames FTW:
HeroQuest, Talisman, Heroscape, Munchkin Quest
DungeonQuest, Dungeon Run etc…