Opinions on Raids

Opinions on Raids

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: midsummer.8237

midsummer.8237

Just wondering what peoples opinions are? Does anyone miss them or are people happy they aren’t in this game?

I miss them a little because it was nice to be forced into vent to have to talk to people while doing this. There isn’t really anything that I’ve encountered in the game that I’ve had to get into vent for and I miss that.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

I don’t miss raiding. Way too time consuming.

But even with a voice server..this game seems to make peeps much quieter than other games.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Xeres.3724

Xeres.3724

The part of raiding I miss is the sense of accomplishment after killing a particularly tough boss with guildmates. That has been lacking of late. The alternative isn’t worth the time to do.

I like that ANet is trying to be different and am happy they’re not in this game – for now.

Opinions on Raids

midsummer.8237

I think it could be neat if there were small raids that took 10 people but had a small number of bosses like dungeons. Mainly because that way people would need to get into a ventrilo or mumble. Sense the more people there are the more likely there is going to be some chaos so vent or mumble become necessary

Opinions on Raids

midsummer.8237

Other wise people don’t really get in vent or mumble together because they don’t have to

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: InfiniteRetro.9865

InfiniteRetro.9865

But even with a voice server..this game seems to make peeps much quieter than other games.

but spending 2 hours to do a 5 man dungeon is acceptable.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

I’m very ok with the current world raiding system as a concept.
I just want to see the current bosses made much stronger (needing at least 30 coordinated people or die), more frequent spawns and the reward obviously should match the greater difficulty.
That way those “PvE guilds” have a goal too.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: mulch.2586

mulch.2586

I guess it depends on your guild. Mine has a very active voice-chat group. Right now (10 AM on a Tues) there’s only 60 people on, but during primetime it gets busy. The draw is to have a community and social group.

The raid targets in GW2 don’t really need voice or any sort of organization. Truly I’ve yet to see a world boss target fail to go down on schedule, from the Shadow Behemoth to the big dragons.

But voice is very handy for WvW and dungeons, and also guild events. We do zone-zergs where as a group we go thru a pve zone to hit the events, SPs and stuff.

I did one dungeon without voice-chat, and I won’t willingly go voice-less ever again.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

One of the reasons that I’m playing this game is due to the lack of a raid progression. I just don’t have the time (or patience) to devote a couple nights of my life to a raid guild. Based on my own past experience, a “Raid-Light” gear standard ends up becoming the bare minimum for any kind of PUG scenerio, what is something that I just don’t want to get into with this game.

There’s no real clean way to do a raid progression in this game. If there’s absolutely no special rewards for raiding, then people won’t do it and the devs will have wasted their time. Since ArenaNet has already said that they don’t want to get into a power creeping war, raid tier equipment (in terms of +Stats) won’t work. Even if it’s just for pure graphical appearances, I think that you’re going to get a player backlash (whether it’s complaining about access to the appearances for non-raiders or from raider complaints about how “special” appearnaces are a waste of their time).

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Grashopa.8176

Grashopa.8176

I raided for several years in WoW, and i enjoyed it, but really it seemed more like a job than a game at times, i spent so much time studying each encounter and each of my classes. And as it turns out, the only reason i was doing it is so that i could see that game content, i didnt care about the loots beyond that fact that it was the key to get into the next raid.

I enjoy having all of the games content available for me to enjoy at my leisure. But i think that some kindof harder DE’s would be enjoyable aswell (instanced would also be nice to avoid freeloaders and grievers). I am completely fine with how the game is now though, the wiff and i have a blast every time we long on!

Opinions on Raids

midsummer.8237

I like your idea Red Falcon.
I just want to see the current bosses made much stronger (needing at least 30 coordinated people or die), more frequent spawns and the reward obviously should match the greater difficulty.
That way those “PvE guilds” have a goal too

Also my boyfriend had a neat idea. Of making like a “Hardcore” dungeon mode. Where you would need 10 people and the bosses and trash would be harder/larger. And you could do where you get say 120 tokens at the end. Where they could make a second “Dungeon gear” set that was like twice as expensive. This way if you didn’t want to raid you could still do dungeons normal to get it it would just take longer.

What do you guys think about that idea?

Opinions on Raids

mulch.2586

Well, understand that they’ve committed that Exotic gear is the highest you’ll go. You can spvp and get new skins but the same stats. You can dungeon grind and get stuff, but it’s the same power level. That’s how it’s gonna work.

Now adding 10-man group dungeons, sure I’d love that. Seems like expansion stuff. New looks, new achievements, fantastic. But increased rewards, not gonna happen.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Aramanth.1546

Aramanth.1546

Raiding? Oh, you mean WvW.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Animus.6073

Animus.6073

I will definitely miss some aspects of raiding, but not all of them. I know that the amount of time required to raid is not something I will miss. The downside of that is that I don’t think GW2 will ever give me goosebumps like I got when I downed Arthas for the first time (before all the nerfs). Granted that was the only expansion I “fully beat” PvE-wise, and I don’t doubt that other raid bosses prior to Arthas created similar feelings.

GW2 is a wonderful game, and thoroughly enjoyable at that, but as it currently stands, there is no truly epic moment in PvE content. I think that is something that only raiding could bring to the table. It will be very interesting to see how ANet works around this factor if they don’t intend on implementing raiding. I’m anxiously awaiting.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Raap.9065

Raap.9065

If I wanted to raid, I would have bought pandaland or any of the other wow-clones out there.

I bought this game mainly for WvW and to see what this ‘innovative PvE’ was all about. Yes, quests on a timer, great, try innovating something that is actually unique next time, and don’t even think about adding raids, thanks.

Edit: That’s not to say the system is worse than in most wow-clones, but I was just expecting a little more ‘dynamic’ in ‘dynamic events’. Oh, and please remove hearts, if it wasn’t for the mobs, Orr was actually the only non-boring area in the game as I didn’t have a linear path of quest hubs to follow.

Do as you hyped your game about, innovate.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

(edited by Raap.9065)

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

No, I don’t and won’t miss it. I’m seriously done with raiding as it existed in WOW.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Echo.7634

Echo.7634

Raids do not make events epic.
Frodo and Sam saved middle earth and it was just the 2 of them. THAT was Epic.

Opinions on Raids

Animus.6073

Epicness in books/movies most certainly is not the same as epicness in games. For an MMO, there really is no higher achievement than defeating the primary villain in a raid setting. Nothing feels quite as powerful.

I don’t think anyone can truly claim they felt the “epic moment” at the close of their personal story line in GW2. It just isn’t there yet.

Opinions on Raids

Raap.9065

For an MMO, there really is no higher achievement than defeating the primary villain in a raid setting. Nothing feels quite as powerful.

Oooh no you didn’t. I’m not going to go into a discussion on this subject, but I will just say you are terribly wrong. I’m actually rather shocked, and hope this is not the modern day mentality more people share.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

(edited by Raap.9065)

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: sabinerak.7402

sabinerak.7402

I am THRILLED that raids and raid progression are not in this game. One of the big reasons that attracted me to play.

Opinions on Raids

Animus.6073

Epicness in books/movies most certainly is not the same as epicness in games. For an MMO, there really is no higher achievement than defeating the primary villain in a raid setting. Nothing feels quite as powerful.

Oooh no you didn’t. I’m not going to go into a discussion on this subject, but I will just say you are terribly wrong. I’m actually rather shocked, and hope this is not the modern day mentality more people share.

I’m not sure which part of my post you are referring to, but I’ll assume from your tone that it was in regards to my first sentence. To that, let me state that you are inferring that I’m implying one is greater than the other. I’m not. I love my epicness in all mediums equally.

I simply meant that in a movie, it is epic when a character or a duo (as in LotR) accomplish an astounding world saving feat. Whereas in an MMO, for example, a group of people working together against seemingly insurmountable odds is the true epicness of the game.

If you were referring to the latter part of my post in which I claimed that defeating the primary villain was the highest achievement, perhaps I phrased that incorrectly. I simply meant that I don’t think you will get the same “wow” feeling (not WoW, but wow) from doing anything else.

Opinions on Raids

Raap.9065

I was refering to your opinion regarding what is ‘the highest achievement for an MMO’. It made me rather sad inside that people find more enjoyement in killing a mob than other things.

I could write a list of things that can be at the very least equally accomplishing in an MMO setting, without involving raids. In the end, it mostly comes down to opinion, but this was once the general opinion of an MMO player prior to the PvE raid formula taking MMORPG’s into a death grip.

MMO’s are social games, where the real achievement is doing something that everyone else can see. Sadly this is seemingly lost with each new themepark released.

Swift Mending – Guardian
Thorny Scrub – Thief
Desolation

Opinions on Raids

midsummer.8237

I think I lost you guys some. What do you guys think of this idea though?

Also my boyfriend had a neat idea. Of making like a “Hardcore” dungeon mode. Where you would need 10 people and the bosses and trash would be harder/larger. And you could do where you get say 120 tokens at the end. Where they could make a second “Dungeon gear” set that was like twice as expensive. This way if you didn’t want to raid you could still do dungeons normal to get it it would just take longer.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Azzras.8041

Azzras.8041

So what you all are saying is what separates GW2 from other MMO’s is a lack of raiding?
If gear progression isn’t what GW2 is about, then why the hate for raids?
Raiders wouldn’t get more powerful stats than you, but I’m sure you’d still be up in arms if they got cool looking gear that was difficult for a coordinated group to acquire.
/sigh

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

I’m perfectly fine without raids.I have so many things to do even without them.And if you ask me explorable dungeons are more than enough for me.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

(edited by moiraine.2753)

Opinions on Raids

mulch.2586

Midsummer, I think a 10-man dungeon would be cool. If I had a vote, I’d rather it be a new dungeon rather than hard-core mode of the existing ones, but either way it’d be cool.

The 2nd dungeon set, of course, must be the same level exotic as the first. They could perhaps get a different skin. Or possibly even rearrange the stats to one of the condition/crit/power/precision/toughness/vitality combos that’s desirable but not readily available.

I don’t see why it should get twice the tokens of a 5-man run.

Seems like with 10-man, they could make the encounters require particular types of skills, such as a pair of mobs where one has super high toughness and the other has constant condition removal, or things like that to require new levels of strategy. A mob that requires you do combos to beat it… Could be interesting.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Blacklight.2871

Blacklight.2871

I’ve hated raiding for years. With five people in a group, you can get things done with people who are actually your friends, not just names on your friends list. Also with fewer people, there’s less opportunity for drama to ensue. Put 20 people together and it’s a non-stop kitten-fest.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Debsylvania.7396

Debsylvania.7396

So what you all are saying is what separates GW2 from other MMO’s is a lack of raiding?
If gear progression isn’t what GW2 is about, then why the hate for raids?
Raiders wouldn’t get more powerful stats than you, but I’m sure you’d still be up in arms if they got cool looking gear that was difficult for a coordinated group to acquire.
/sigh

I would prefer that the game follow the design philosophy that has been in place all along without trying to retrofit/shoehorn raiding into it. I just think it’s hugely disrespectful and presumptuous for people to try to do a wow makeover on this game.

Besides, it wouldn’t stop with the number of people or rewards… the next set of demands would be LFR and dps meters and mods like DBM, and oh noooo… we can’t do 10 man without the trinity, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Deb ~The Chewbacca Defense [TCD];
Waiting For Death [WFD]
@ Borlis Pass Server

Opinions on Raids

midsummer.8237

It would be giving people more options. It isn’t meant to be disrespectful it is just an idea so that people have more to do at end game because some people feel there is a lacking of things to do when they hit 80.

I really don’t know why people hate the idea of raids. It is like everyone assumes there is only one way to make raids, when really there could be multiple different ways to make a raid.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Lord Jaguar.9504

Lord Jaguar.9504

I miss it for various reasons. The gear progression / treadmill I could care less about, kiss that kitten goodbye..

But I do miss the huge, epic dungeons, the challenging content and the way a group of players would have to come together (most frequently in PvE guilds) and over VoiP to communicate and collaborate in completing the content.

It created a better sense of community and accomplishment than “oh hey there’s a DE boss lets zerg it” then not remembering anyone’s names or needing to even so much as communicate tactics or fight mechanics with anyone.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Wiser with Age.3714

Wiser with Age.3714

It would be giving people more options. It isn’t meant to be disrespectful it is just an idea so that people have more to do at end game because some people feel there is a lacking of things to do when they hit 80.

I really don’t know why people hate the idea of raids. It is like everyone assumes there is only one way to make raids, when really there could be multiple different ways to make a raid.

It’s an issue of reward. If there’s no reward, then people won’t raid widely enough to make it worth a dev’s time. But if there is a reward, it would only be a new cosmetic gear skin (assuming that ArenaNet continues with its standard philosophies).

Would people really go through a x5 raid zone progression just for gear that “looks cool” and has the same +Stats as any other Exotic? My personal opinion is “No”. At the same time, the ex-GW1 players would likely pitch a fit about ArenaNet sticking desirable appearance gear into a raid system since that really goes against the GW1 philosophy (which still faintly echoes in GW2).

We are Test Group F. (Don’t ask about what happened to the previous Test Groups.)

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: rook.4625

rook.4625

I think I lost you guys some. What do you guys think of this idea though?

This is a good approach as you’re trying to appease both gamers.

Who said raid content had to be more than 90 minutes long?

Opinions on Raids

Raf.1078

Don’t go making assumptions Retro. 2 hours for a single dungeon is not a 3 or 4 day , 3-4 hrs per night raiding schedule.

In any case, I could play this game for a couple of years and never play a dungeon and be just fine. Have only done a couple here…but I find them tiresome these days. On any game.

Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: pawtrisha.7234

pawtrisha.7234

I miss raids. And you guys do know there are other mmos other then wow right? I <3 eq raids

Circadian
Guardian of Archon :: Sanctum of Rall

Opinions on Raids

Raf.1078

I miss raids. And you guys do know there are other mmos other then wow right? I <3 eq raids

But they are still there Pawtrisha. And EQ2 is getting ready to add new end content…plus its F2P. WoW just added MoP?

Why do we need to change the one game that steps outside of the norm back to the same ol/same ol?

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Bhuta.1480

Bhuta.1480

In regards to old school raids,good riddance. The world raids are ok, with a little work there all the game needs. Don’t miss raiding at all, hopefully that era of mmos will be disappearing from now on

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Zale.9645

Zale.9645

If they added raids, they would need to be substantially different from dungeons and not just dungeons with more players. They would also need a system to more easily group up with. I have some ideas, but they’re a secret. =P

I will never play WvW until Map Completion there is removed.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Corian.4068

Corian.4068

Been playing MMOs since Everquest and raiding was always my least favorite part of it.

The boss fights themselves are exciting, but the hours of clearing and loot drama to either side of it is dumb.

Hit level eighty
Priorities, what to do?
Spend hours with dye

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

That’s exactly how WoW: Cata was when people were first hitting level 85.

If GW2 doesn’t have some sort of end game content at some point, it will begin to lose players out of pure boredom. My friends and I were always 10-man simi-hard core raiders. It’s been a while since we did any raid and I’m starting to really miss those days.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Tosha Daydreamer.9251

Tosha Daydreamer.9251

If GW2 doesn’t have some sort of end game content at some point, it will begin to lose players out of pure boredom. My friends and I were always 10-man simi-hard core raiders. It’s been a while since we did any raid and I’m starting to really miss those days.

What exactly do you miss? The purpose in raids was to get better gear, which enabled you to do the same raids, but more difficult, for other new gear, which would get you into a more difficult raid until you maxed out your gear. Then it would start all over again when a new expansion came out. Tbh, I define that as pure boredom, although yes, it was fun to play together with a large group of people.

Did you like it for the gear, or playing together with a large group? If you did it all just for the gear, then you are going to have troubles later on. If you did them to play together, there’s dungeons (small group) and WvW (as large a group as you want).

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Sunju.8310

Sunju.8310

Less dramatic, insulting, angry and creepy too I do not miss listening to male My Little Pony fetishists talking over mumbles in raids or drunk nerds trying to hit on female players from the opposite side of the country. Though, the family insulting, onnery, senile grandmother that, somehow, got a hold of her grandson’s headset during a Nax run will be an endearing, hilarious, insane memory that I shall treasure till the day I die.

“A favourite war hero of mine got his tongue shot out.”
“How’d that happen?”
“He doesn’t talk about it.” – Stephen Fry

Opinions on Raids

Raf.1078

At some point, people are just going to have to realize that GW2 isn’t the goto game for raiding.

That is…if ANet sticks to their vision of where they want to take this game.

Sure hope they do.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: krojack.4920

krojack.4920

What exactly do you miss? The purpose in raids was to get better gear, which enabled you to do the same raids, but more difficult, for other new gear, which would get you into a more difficult raid until you maxed out your gear. Then it would start all over again when a new expansion came out. Tbh, I define that as pure boredom, although yes, it was fun to play together with a large group of people.

Did you like it for the gear, or playing together with a large group? If you did it all just for the gear, then you are going to have troubles later on. If you did them to play together, there’s dungeons (small group) and WvW (as large a group as you want).

What you find boring I and others may find fun. I enjoyed the challenge of the fights along with being in vent with 9 other great friends laughing and screwing around killing trash.

WvW isn’t really all that fun with a large group of friends. It a royal pain to get everyone in the same world at the same time. Once in there is way to easy to get split up and lose where your friends are. Most of the time you end up off doing things on your own. WvW is not large group friendly at all.

I’m not saying I want raiding, I’m just saying that I miss it. My friends and I will most likely move over to FF14 for raiding, assuming it’s going to be good this time around.

80 Sylvari Ranger – Jade Quarry
» My current Guild Wars 2 game annoyances

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Morrigan.2809

Morrigan.2809

Yes!!! thank you

Also to the person up thread who said the fact that you do not have raid progression attracted them to this game.

I cannot agree more, the things that attracted me to GW2 would be what separates it from the way other MMO’s operate.
I despise what MMo’s have become and raids have a lot to do with that whole – gear, cooler gear exclusion, commitment or you are out idea.

I have a kid that I like to spend time with, I also love GW2- raids would ruin the game for me because it opens a horrible can of worms where if you don’t get the stuff, you can’t do the stuff.

My statement is over simplified I know but it is late and as I said. I have a five year old.

Gunnar’s Hold

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Strongheart.5629

Strongheart.5629

Because people don’t like change Raf. I would think that WoW was a lot of gamers first MMO’s considering how long it has been out.

If they were to introduce dungeon raids that had its own set of gear and Anet stuck with the same gear philosophy. It would be a matter of a couple of days before people started complaining that Raids are a waste of time because the gear is just as good as dungeons. They would demand that raids have better gear since it requires more people and coordination. Thus, turning this game into something they are more familiar with. After the raids were introduced and the loot adjusted they would start asking for the holy trinity.

I personally think that they should make the existing dragons a possible end game alternative to raiding by increasing the difficulty of the encounters, randomizing the spawn timer and increase the rewards.

StrongHeart
Norn – Warrior
Yak’s Bend

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Rick.1378

Rick.1378

I miss raiding, but don’t miss the time commitment. I think public raids are the solution, but they need to be something more than what they are currently which is pretty much zergs. There needs to be some strategy, some need for global communication even though it’s a public event, otherwise it loses it’s appeal real quickly. Public events that foster communication instead of the currently implemented social walls which make this a game where you can have a zone stuffed full of players but feel utterly lonely.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Reihert.1509

Reihert.1509

I wish we had a dungeon that really required 10 people to do. In that, we’d need to take down hard bosses that requires strategy and proper use of our skills.

It could reset once a week so your group could do try to progress through it during the week. So if we decide to go back tomorrow to learn how to do that third boss, the first and second would still be down.

Yes, that’s called raiding.
However, to prevent that to become mandatory, what I’d do as a reward would be some money (enough to cover expenses), skill points (you do use them for crafting) and unique skins or material to make a very unique and fantastic skill.

Even a title could come with it or new and awsome looking spells.

This way, those who want to coordinate and organize to take down fun/hard content would get rewarded without having to impose it towards the whole server.

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Vylins.3079

Vylins.3079

I like your idea Red Falcon.
That way those “PvE guilds” have a goal too

What do you guys think about that idea?

Anet did have a “Hardmode” (what it was called) in Guild Wars, which was brought in later after launch and updates. Which “Hardmode” did highten the chance of drops for rares and such items of value. While making it “harder” to down a mob. (I.E the level cap in Guild Wars was 20 so all the mobs were 20+ in any part of the map that you went into with a party with Hardmode enabled) that being said in Guild Wars every map had its own instance meaning it wasn’t free roaming such as Guild Wars 2 is now. you went into a part of the map with a certain party or just by yourself. So to see them implement a system such as they had in Guild Wars towards the dungeons in Guild Wars 2 is a pretty great probability.

Always remember to do what you love, without it you have nothing.

(edited by Vylins.3079)

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: Selescion.2836

Selescion.2836

I don’t miss Raiding -at all-! Being in small groups is more personal imho. Instead I love challenging encounters / content for small groups that requires some brains!

Opinions on Raids

Posted by: shokenaw.1987

shokenaw.1987

Raids are old and boring.

There, my opinion registered.

..!. – no raids in this game. KKTY

Hidden in the shadows, veiled by rumor and cloaked in the deepest of night. Our time is now.