Opinions on player ability to get gold?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: StevesDad.8213

StevesDad.8213

Was wondering what everyone thinks with regards to how much effort it takes to amass the gold required for Cultural armor, high level mats, etc. Are you “farming” at an acceptable rate? Are you forced to buy?

Thanks

Posted by: Poledo.3256

Poledo.3256

It’s fine. I’d like to see more exotic items drop but other than that I don’t see any point in making it easier to get gold. The easier it gets for the average player, the more things are going to go up in general. WP costs annoy the hell out of me though.

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Considering I don’t farm/repeat anything at all and I make 5-10g/day I think ours incomes are pretty fine.
A person who farm is prolly getting 3x or more that amount.

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

Indeed, 5/10g a day is easily obtained, its not hard to make money in this game at all.

Posted by: Vermillion Hawk.9037

Vermillion Hawk.9037

It’s not difficult at all to get more than enough gold to cover any possible expenses (repairs, tools, etc.) and then some. I’ve never had to grind for gold.

Grand Master of The Knights Hospitaller [STJ]
Isle of Janthir – Sylvari Mesmer – Alexandre Le Grande

Posted by: Captain Herbalife.2581

Captain Herbalife.2581

I would love to know how people are getting this much gold per day. If i farm the Orr areas and do some major world events(maw,dragons,etc..) i make about 2-2.5gp. This is with probably 4-5hrs play time. Is my account just cursed? I also never get exotics to drop. Have had 2 since release with like 2000hrs logged. I think my account must be tagged to be poor. I was rich in GW1, maybe thats why.

Vermillion Hawk.9037

You can play the market for a ton of money as well, with some decent economic sensibility.

Even selling crafting materials to the market gets you tons of cash, and all it takes is stopping around on your travels to mine a few nodes or chop a few trees.

Posted by: Katai.6240

Katai.6240

I must be doing something wrong. I don’t make anywhere near 5-10 gold a day. Heck, I don’t even think I really make 1-gold a day in a two hour session. The only time I get that kind of gold is if I go out of my way to run Fractals/AC/Cursed Shore the entire time.

Posted by: Okamy.8235

Okamy.8235

You can easily get a lot of gold whith CoF p1 farm. Even when hitted by DR, it’s 50 silver w/o any gold buff for a 6-10 minutes run. Some others dungeons can be done very fast.

Posted by: Darxio.5672

Darxio.5672

Cultural Armor isn’t too hard to amass the money for over the long-run. I may only have about 50g on my Thief, and have never had more than 120g ever at once, but money comes in and money gets spent all the time. One can easily buy each piece individually through normal play over time.

Brigade of the Black Twilight [BBT]
Darxio – Thief Commander

Posted by: Lambent.6375

Lambent.6375

Seems the amount of gold you make per day depends on what you do in game daily

If you’re the type that roams all over open world doing world events and regular events, you probably wont make much more than a gold a day, unless you get lucky and pull something from a chest.

If you farm pent/shelt, and other Orr events (what was it, 1g an hour?) it’s been about a month since I did.

Dungeon running: I don’t do dungeons, but I read all the time, this is where most people make their gold,, aside from playing the TP.

“Caithe, someday you’ll see, Tyria needs me. -Scarlet”

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I must be doing something wrong. I don’t make anywhere near 5-10 gold a day. Heck, I don’t even think I really make 1-gold a day in a two hour session. The only time I get that kind of gold is if I go out of my way to run Fractals/AC/Cursed Shore the entire time.

The only way I’ve seen anywhere near that much money is when I farm dungeons. If you run COF 1 until you hit DR you can make 2.5g + from that alone (40 minutes – ish).

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

StevesDad.8213

It’s not difficult at all to get more than enough gold to cover any possible expenses (repairs, tools, etc.) and then some. I’ve never had to grind for gold.

Can you and the person above you post exactly what you’re doing then, to have said gold without “repeating anything at all” ?

Bold claims

Posted by: Aoshi.4785

Aoshi.4785

I would love to know how people are getting this much gold per day. If i farm the Orr areas and do some major world events(maw,dragons,etc..) i make about 2-2.5gp. This is with probably 4-5hrs play time. Is my account just cursed? I also never get exotics to drop. Have had 2 since release with like 2000hrs logged. I think my account must be tagged to be poor. I was rich in GW1, maybe thats why.

Yeah, I’d say. I play for maybe 3 hours tops, most of it is farming in Orr. Are you hitting everything you can? Picking up all your loot? Could be that you aren’t selling all of your things as well. I go through and sell most everything I get, besides stuff that cant go to the tp, then I either salvage or vendor sale. But the money is also in the dropped mats, if you aren’t selling those, then no, you won’t get that much from farming. DO NOT open the heavy moldy bags, sell them. A stack of 100 got me just over 5g last night, and I got that in about 90 min of play, on top of all the other loots.

Vermillion Hawk.9037

Can you and the person above you post exactly what you’re doing then, to have said gold without “repeating anything at all” ?

Bold claims

It’s not a bold claim – here’s exactly what I do. I roam around, get 100% on various zones and sell most of the stuff I pick up from events, material-gathering, loot and completion rewards. I really only buy gathering tools and new armor every so often, weapons tend to come pretty easily. I just go around, explore and do events if they interest me. I die every so often, but I make more than enough to cover it.

It’s certainly not the most efficient method of farming gold, but I’ve got about 50 gold in the bank now from getting 70% world completion, counting all the stuff I’ve sold, materials including.

Posted by: THACO.7021

THACO.7021

I would like a slightly higher drop rate but hears the problem
Basicly your asking people who play different styles what is the best farming methood and such
IF you say play 6+ Hours a day on this game at the very least im sure you dont have much problems getting gold and are happy about it
Casual like myself maybe say 20 hours a week total? Like 4 Hours 5 days a week or such? (Insteed of 42 Hours for 6+ Hours a day players with6hours mim) Then i find myself having to pay for gems evey so offten. And in which case if you ask me the Farming/loot system needs to be increased

To me I Likw GW2 becouse its more of a Casual type of a Game with WvW More for thouse who spend godly amount of hours at said game (Not going to touch WvW besides this statement)

So I would state it depends on who you talk to.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I think it’s fine.

I don’t make much per day, (I couldn’t tell you how much because I’ve never paid attention, but less than 1g) but I know that’s because I’m not really trying, I just do whatever I feel like and take whatever gold I happen to get along the way.

It takes me longer to buy things, but I’m fine with that because I enjoy playing this way more than I’d enjoy farming and buying stuff sooner.

Incidentally I agree with the people who say selling crafting materials makes a big difference. I don’t sell them but I often notice when I open the TP that all the materials are in demand and even at a glance I can see that it’d add up to a lot. One day when I’ve levelled the crafting professions and don’t need so many mats I’ll probably start selling them for extra gold.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

No problems getting gold. I usually gather in Orr on 5 80s when I dont have anything else to do. Killing what comes my way so I can get some bags/dyes or such.

No magic find gear on any toons and I get 10-15g total on 5 runs. After a node reset it takes a while to find all nodes/woods on one character, but after that a zone takes maybe 15-20 minutes per toon to gather in before you have all Orichalcum and most Ancient Wood. Thats roughly 2 hours a day to get 10-15g

Heavy Moldy Bags are great for loot if you dont like gathering and prefer grinding.

The easiest way to make gold is to take your time and level alts, once you have enough things will be fast. Also take notes where nodes and wood are located.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

So whats the current best money making method that does NOT involve instance/fractal running?

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Was wondering what everyone thinks with regards to how much effort it takes to amass the gold required for Cultural armor, high level mats, etc. Are you “farming” at an acceptable rate? Are you forced to buy?

Thanks

I’m doing just fine in getting gold. IN fact, it’s quite easy! Just go to Orr and start farming for mats and do events then bam, you can end up with 10+ gold in one day. And if you’re lucky, probably more than 50 (Hint: Ectos)

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Cowrex.9564

Cowrex.9564

Thanks

I’m doing just fine in getting gold. IN fact, it’s quite easy! Just go to Orr and start farming for mats and do events then bam, you can end up with 10+ gold in one day. And if you’re lucky, probably more than 50 (Hint: Ectos)

Oh yea and I forgot to mention mystic coins! Mystic coins make alot of coin in the Black Lion Trading market!

Give a man fire, he will be warm, set a man on fire, he will be warm forever! …or dead…

Posted by: Otaur.9268

Otaur.9268

Indeed, 5/10g a day is easily obtained, its not hard to make money in this game at all.

IF you manage to get exotic drops it’s easy… However some of us have never seen better than a Yellow drop and have played since Beta. So your statement is only true for those who were not cursed by ANets flawed loot system. 7 Champions killed in row, 1 drops a white item. The other 6 drop nothing… Have to believe this system applies to more than just Champions which explains the overly rich players with all the luck and those of us who never get anything good to drop.

Blackfang’s Demon Alliance [BfDA]

Posted by: John Widdin.9618

John Widdin.9618

If I play WvW, and don’t place any siege equipment and buy no upgrades, I make 1-3G a day. Which is roughly 6 hours.

Zachary ~ Mesmer/ John Widdin ~ Warrior/ Zazmataz ~ Engineer
Maguuma – [TriM][DERP]

Posted by: Florgknight.1589

Florgknight.1589

Farm T6 mats, they’re not too uncommon and a powerful blood yields as much as a rare drop.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

Dungeons, mat farming, WvW.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: OMNIBUS.2913

OMNIBUS.2913

If i need gold i just run dungeons, you will make gold really fast if you do them often.

StevesDad.8213

So whats the current best money making method that does NOT involve instance/fractal running?

Interested in this too. Is it really Orr farming desperately trying to tag mobs before they die? Or is it running world bosses and hoping for a rare ? How feasible is it to depend on ectos for your big sell items?

Mainly try to answer the question I quoted first though if possible… thanks everyone

StevesDad.8213

No problems getting gold. I usually gather in Orr on 5 80s when I dont have anything else to do. Killing what comes my way so I can get some bags/dyes or such.

No magic find gear on any toons and I get 10-15g total on 5 runs. After a node reset it takes a while to find all nodes/woods on one character, but after that a zone takes maybe 15-20 minutes per toon to gather in before you have all Orichalcum and most Ancient Wood. Thats roughly 2 hours a day to get 10-15g

Heavy Moldy Bags are great for loot if you dont like gathering and prefer grinding.

The easiest way to make gold is to take your time and level alts, once you have enough things will be fast. Also take notes where nodes and wood are located.

Farm on 5 80s for two hours? What? Do you have a group going or… ?

Posted by: Turkman.1089

Turkman.1089

I think if you’re a PVEer you’ll get gold reasonably fast. But as a WvW player, who doesn’t only let others carry the burden of siege and upgrade expenses, I have a very low ingame income.
Would I not do some dungeons occasionally, I wouldn’t have the money to equip my alts (besides karma equip). I hope this income inbalance will be adressed in the upcoming WvW patch in March (or better: sooner )

Abaddon’s Mouth
Renth/Eirik
[DP] Diamond Pirates

(edited by Turkman.1089)

Posted by: Medazolam.3058

Medazolam.3058

i find you can make 5 G a day pretty easy, you just cant have your cake and eat it too.

translation: sell ectos )from rares), sell T6 mats, sell everything you loot.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Considering I don’t farm/repeat anything at all and I make 5-10g/day I think ours incomes are pretty fine.
A person who farm is prolly getting 3x or more that amount.

That’s been my experience also. I hate farming with a passion, I just play around whatever interests me and get 5-10g a day.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’ve got 3 toons that I split my time between, all of them 45-55. I’ve got about 8-9g total. I’ve put in hours of leveling and gathering, etc but I’m assuming that the real money-making comes at 80. Is this true? Sure, I can get a drop that I can sell for 10s occassionally, but most of my gold so far comes from selling gathered crafting materials. At 80, are drops easier to sell on the TP? Are there craftable items that sell well?

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

I’ve got 3 toons that I split my time between, all of them 45-55. I’ve got about 8-9g total. I’ve put in hours of leveling and gathering, etc but I’m assuming that the real money-making comes at 80. Is this true? Sure, I can get a drop that I can sell for 10s occassionally, but most of my gold so far comes from selling gathered crafting materials. At 80, are drops easier to sell on the TP? Are there craftable items that sell well?

The money is pretty constant once the mobs start dropping T6 materials. I think that happens around level 70. (note: constant does not mean plentiful)

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

At 80, are drops easier to sell on the TP? Are there craftable items that sell well?

Standard of living at level 80 is higher. You’ll have full exotic gear & ascended jewelry in the stats you want, given time doing dungeon runs.

Rare drops at 80, you’ll see a handful of them a day, and the price of them will roughly equate to the price of an ecto (30-35s). An exotic drop, I’ll see maybe one or two a week. At 80 you can run dungeon explorable, which gives you a 26s reward per path per character, and some of the tokens you can convert to ecto and sell. End of the day, it’s about 5-7g total for me. It’s enough that the 200g+ tier items are attainable with effort.

Craftable items are usually not worth the purchase value of the components used to make them. It’s the reverse of real world, because by crafting it into a specific item you are actually reducing the utility value and potential market size. What crafting does do is give you more options – like making filler items to use at Mystic Forge, or converting lower tier items to Rare’s for potentially better selling price.

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

Are there craftable items that sell well?

Depends on what you are crafting.

http://www.guildwarstrade.com/recipes

Posted by: Eladriel.7295

Eladriel.7295

It’s fine. I’d like to see more exotic items drop but other than that I don’t see any point in making it easier to get gold. The easier it gets for the average player, the more things are going to go up in general. WP costs annoy the hell out of me though.

No, it’s not fine. What hole did you climb from. By the time I reach that amount of gold to get cultural armor I already have better just from the drops I get. So no it isn’t fine. I’m tired of working for 50 copper an hour.

Together we stand in the face of evil!

Posted by: Death Reincarnated.3570

Death Reincarnated.3570

I feel that to make the 5-10G per pay that people are suggesting, you need to invest a fair ammount of time using the TP.

I am currently sitting at 31G and been playing since October last year. Given that I may have spend the same ammount and being a casual gamer I would have maybe 70G by now if not spend on anything other than the neccesities.

I suspect that those who make this ammount per day are just constantly running dungeons and using the TP. I myself can make around 1G per couple of hours.

Proud member of Legion of Honour XIII

Do not click this link!

Posted by: Celtic Lady.3729

Celtic Lady.3729

I can get gold if I want to spend time grinding for it. Obviously, the easier option is to simply buy it, which I think, overall, is the way the game is designed.

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

Dungeons I guess …
I have a friend who has at least 2 cultural set, all bank tabs, 2 quaggan backpacks.
When I say dungeons I don’t mean CoF p1 either! I rarely see him in there. He plays less than I do but I don’t have nearly that much, on the other hand he plays his lv80 a lot more than I do. I am typically leveling my low level characters.

That last part is pretty important. I play my low level and get a rare. It sells for 4s. Play a lv80 and get a rare it sells for 30+s. Below a certain level and you don’t get have a chance of getting exotics.

Posted by: Forsaken.6720

Forsaken.6720

yup only thing left is DUNGEONS and guess what more dungeons cuz nerfing meta event chests to once a day kittened everything

Heavenly Mez – mesmer

Posted by: Forsaken.6720

Forsaken.6720

I can get gold if I want to spend time grinding for it. Obviously, the easier option is to simply buy it, which I think, overall, is the way the game is designed.

im gonna agree with u there working at a real job and just plain out buying gold would be the easiest way to get it lol

Heavenly Mez – mesmer

Posted by: Lynne.8416

Lynne.8416

I’m “playing the game wrong” in regards to earning gold. I am a level 70 and have earned a whopping 7 gold. :-(

I have never entered a dungeon, I do not “farm nor grind” any areas. The only items I “buy” from merchants are salvage kits and gathering tools. I have never bought nor sold any items on the trading post.
I only play the open world PvE. I have leveled my character via completing area maps and storyline.

If you wish to earn gold do not play the game my way. :-)

Posted by: Khisanth.2948

Khisanth.2948

yup only thing left is DUNGEONS and guess what more dungeons cuz nerfing meta event chests to once a day kittened everything

You say it like it was possible to get piles of gold from those. Sure if you are lucky and end up with a precursor but otherwise not much better than killing mob in the same amount of time. They are a slight time save only in that you didn’t have to run around as much.