Optimize gw2 for quad core please.

in Account & Technical Support

Posted by: Blissified.8369

Blissified.8369

Apparently the reason you have to o.c your i5 to get decent fps in 100v100 fights in wvw is because gw2 only uses a single thread?

Please optimize this game to work will 4 cores, its rediculess that my ….

i5 3570k # 3.8ghz, 8gb 1600mhz vengence ram, 7950 oc’ed to 7970 / 680 speeds (actually surpasses both, in clock speed and in benchmarjs)

- computer can’t run wvw without going into the 20 fps somtimes in huge 100v100, 200v200 zerg battles.

EDIT: I RUN EVERYTHING AT 1080P EVERYTHING MAXED EXCEPT REFLECTIONS ON ONLY TERRAIN AND UNITS.

(lowering anything els, besides the resolution doesnt increase my fps at all in big zerg fights)

(edited by Blissified.8369)

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

pfft. I wish I had 20 fps during huge battles like that :P

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

shouldn’t this be in the tech support forum? o.O

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

I run my i5 3570k at 4.6ghz with speedstep disabled. Paired with a Radeon HD 6970 2gb(+vsync and triple buffering enabled @1680x1050, 4xAF, 4xSSAA), I’ve never seen my framerate dip below 58-60fps in GW2 or any other game for that matter.

(edited by Elbegast.6970)

Blissified.8369

shouldn’t this be in the tech support forum? o.O

This isn’t really a tech support issue, since theirs no way i can program the game to run on 4 cores, that would be somthing the developers can only do.
so no, it shouldn’t be on the tech support forums.

Posted by: Izaya.2906

Izaya.2906

I run my i5 3570k at 4.6ghz with speedstep disabled. Paired with a Radeon HD 6970 2gb(+vsync and triple buffering enabled @1680x1050, 4xAF, 4xSSAA), I’ve never seen my framerate dip below 58-60fps in GW2 or any other game for that matter.

I guess you haven’t tried WvW with zergs.

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

Get an i7? Also, how do you know GW2 is not multi-threaded?

Blissified.8369

first of all ur not even running at 1080p, second of all you’r it is overclocked ALOT.

I don’t know if your trying to disprove my point that the game doesnt use all 4 cores, you just proved my point even more, to get decent frame rates AT 1080p you have to overclock your proccessor to insane speeds,

hell your not even running 1080p (which is a waste, considering your system specs).

i could run my game at semi-1080p also and do better, but i shouldn’t have to i can max all other games and get double or triple the fps i get in wvw on new, better looking games.

Elbegast.6970

I sure have and @ 58-60fps the entire time.

Blissified.8369

an i7 wont do anything, dont listen to this guy if your gaming dont get an i7 as it performs basicly the same as an i5, i7’s are used because they have hyperthreading, which doesn’t increase game performance.

an i7 will not help here, you may get 1-5 fps more, if that, but thats because i7’s are clocked .1 higher then their i5 counterparts.

Blissified.8369

Im suprised you dont get more fps, i get like 80-200 fps @ 1680.

heck why dont i just go down to 720p so i get 200 fps / sarcasm….

if you’re not even running 1080p then why are you even posting your fps?

Elbegast.6970

first of all ur not even running at 1080p, second of all you’r it is overclocked ALOT.

I don’t know if your trying to disprove my point that the game doesnt use all 4 cores, you just proved my point even more, to get decent frame rates AT 1080p you have to overclock your proccessor to insane speeds,

hell your not even running 1080p (which is a waste, considering your system specs).

i could run my game at semi-1080p also and do better, but i shouldn’t have to i can max all other games and get double or triple the fps i get in wvw on new, better looking games.

I wasn’t trying to prove or disprove anything. I was just sharing how I got my framerates to be playable in wvw .

Elbegast.6970

Im suprised you dont get more fps, i get like 80-200 fps @ 1680.

heck why dont i just go down to 720p so i get 200 fps / sarcasm….

if you’re not even running 1080p then why are you even posting your fps?

It’s because I always have vsync enabled. Vsync locks your framerates to your monitor’s refresh rate. Which, in my case, is 60hz…so 60fps.

Posted by: Gotejjeken.1267

Gotejjeken.1267

I don’t know what is wrong with your PC then. I run an i5 also OC’d to 4.2ghz with similar RAM specs and an old 5850 and get about 40FPS in big 100+ man fights (at 1920×1200, highest settings, etc.).

Also, unless we have actual benchmarks I’m fairly sure an OC’d i7 would bring more than 1FPS increase, I’d say 10 at the least. 10 FPS is still pretty noticeable.

EDIT: For clarity, aimed at TC not person above me.

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

gw2 is badly optimized, nothing to see here.

Izaya.2906

I don’t know what is wrong with your PC then. I run an i5 also OC’d to 4.2ghz with similar RAM specs and an old 5850 and get about 40FPS in big 100+ man fights (at 1920×1200, highest settings, etc.).

Also, unless we have actual benchmarks I’m fairly sure an OC’d i7 would bring more than 1FPS increase, I’d say 10 at the least. 10 FPS is still pretty noticeable.

he’s running his processor at stock speeds

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Apparently the reason you have to o.c your i5 to get decent fps in 100v100 fights in wvw is because gw2 only uses a single thread?

i5 3570k # 3.8ghz, 8gb 1600mhz vengence ram, 7950 oc’ed to 7970 / 680 speeds (actually surpasses both, in clock speed and in benchmarjs)

- computer can’t run wvw without going into the 20 fps somtimes in huge 100v100, 200v200 zerg battles.

EDIT: I RUN EVERYTHING AT 1080P EVERYTHING MAXED EXCEPT REFLECTIONS ON ONLY TERRAIN AND UNITS.

(lowering anything els, besides the resolution doesnt increase my fps at all in big zerg fights)

I think you are confused. Most modern games(including GW2) already take advantage of multiple cores, but they run single threads on each core. There are only so many tasks that the game can hand out to the CPU to process at a time like graphics/physics/sound/networking. Which is why the clock speed of individual cores are so important. This is true for all games that are CPU dependent. They only way you can see performance increases is to overclock your CPU so each core is faster.

Why don’t they multithread and take advantage of hyperthreading? Very few if any games actually use it and they would need a new engine for that. The engine was borrowed from GW1 heavily modified, but clearly it was never meant to be handling such large numbers of players as seen in WvW. This was why culling was introduced and they have allowed players to adjust the settings based on their own system performance.

(edited by kokocabana.8153)

Blissified.8369

my i5 isnt oc’ed? i said you need an oc’ed i5 to get half playable frames in 100v100 zerg fights,

and also the i7 gives about 1 fps more then an i5 3570k, proof is in the gaming benchmarks, heres a link http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i5_3570K_and_i7_3770K_Comparison/8.html
*Half the games, theirs not even 1 fps difference between stock i5 and stock i7

If you know anything about computers you know hyperthreading is the only difference between i5 and i7 (and a .1 faster clock which isnt much), hyperthreading doesnt benefit games

people please do your research before talking about things you dont understand.

Blissified.8369

I think you are confused. Most modern games(including GW2) already take advantage of multiple cores, but they run single threads on each core. There are only so many tasks that the game can hand out to the CPU to process at a time like graphics/physics/sound/networking. Which is why the clock speed of individual cores are so important. This is true for all games that are CPU dependent. They only way you can see performance increases is to overclock your CPU so each core is faster.

Why don’t they multithread and take advantage of hyperthreading? Very few if any games actually use it and they would need a new engine for that.

No im talking about gw2 using 2 cores max, unless all the info i have is wrong, im not talking about games using hyperthreading, you misunderstand a core = a thread.

a game that uses more threads doesnt = hypthreading, hyperthreading trix it into thinking that each core is 2 threads.

(edited by Blissified.8369)

Izaya.2906

I meant zerging at the settings OP posted.

Posted by: kokocabana.8153

kokocabana.8153

Here’s an article made back at launch by Tom’s Hardware regarding number of cores in GW2. They set all the CPUs to 3ghz and the only difference are the number of cores.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

Elbegast.6970

I haven’t been in a zerg at 1080p but I imagine it wouldn’t be far different that zerging wvw at 1680×1050. Both resolutions would use nearly the same amount of texture/video memory as well as CPU/RAM resources.

Posted by: Fermi.2409

Fermi.2409

World versus world is just really demanding. The game only uses two cores, but push your CPU to 4.4-4.5 and you’ll be fine. No reason to get that CPU and not push it decently high.

HAF 912 | i7-3770k @ 4.5 GHz | MSI GTX 1070 GAMING 8GB | Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
EGVA SuperNOVA B2 750W | 16 GB DDR3 1600 | Acer XG270HU | Win 10×64
MX Brown Quickfire XT | Commander Shaussman [AGNY]- Fort Aspenwood

Blissified.8369

I haven’t been in a zerg at 1080p but I imagine it wouldn’t be far different that zerging wvw at 1680×1050. Both resolutions would use nearly the same amount of texture/video memory as well as CPU/RAM resources.

its a lower resolution it phsyicaly cant show over that ammount of pixels, and resolutions make a HUGE difference in fps, look at benchmarks.

Blissified.8369

World versus world is just really demanding. The game only uses two cores, but push your CPU to 4.4-4.5 and you’ll be fine. No reason to get that CPU and not push it decently high.

the stock cooler sucks, i will overclock it when i get a evo,
my temps on stock i5 3570k with turbo boost to 3.8 (thats default) can get t0 70 o nmax load which scares me

Blissified.8369

Here’s an article made back at launch by Tom’s Hardware regarding number of cores in GW2. They set all the CPUs to 3ghz and the only difference are the number of cores.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/guild-wars-2-performance-benchmark,3268-7.html

Thx for the link man thats awesome good info their.
i am reading it now.

Fermi.2409

my temps on stock i5 3570k with turbo boost to 3.8 (thats default) can get t0 70 o nmax load which scares me

Why would you get a 3570k without an aftermarket cooler? A 212+ Evo is like $40.

Blissified.8369

Why would you get a 3570k without an aftermarket cooler? A 212+ Evo is like $40.

Because i already spent 1500 dollars (canadian) on building my computer which was already stretching my budget.

And its not like i need to be able to overclock my i5 ASAP in order to play any new games on max at this momemt. (apparently except only gw2)

Posted by: Chase.8415

Chase.8415

If you’re going to optimize for 4 cores, go directly to 6 or more instead.

Posted by: Theplayboy.6417

Theplayboy.6417

The game only runs on one thread. You can clearly see it if you use any sort of monitoring program on a second screen. The engine needs to be optimized immensely. I have heard that they are working on it. I think they are making strides too because within the next few months we’ll see the end of culling completely in PvE.

As for WvWvW you’re not going to get good forum responses because most players don’t realize that their WvWvW settings are set to lowest instead of highest. As for a temporary work around in super large battles, turn your nameplates off. The nameplates absolutely kill your processor I’ve discovered.

Posted by: Im Mudbone.1437

Im Mudbone.1437

What they need to do is optimize the GW2 graphics to use the GPU memory and not be CPU bound.

Blackgate Megaserver – [LaZy] Imperium of LaZy Nation
Mud Bone – Sylvari Ranger

Fermi.2409

What they need to do is optimize GW2 to use the GPU memory and not be CPU bound.

The nature of the game makes it CPU bound.

Posted by: Advent Leader.1083

Advent Leader.1083

What they need to do is optimize GW2 to use the GPU memory and not be CPU bound.

The nature of the game makes it CPU bound.

Extending on Fermi’s quote, the game is mainly CPU bound because the architecture of the game itself means that on screen you might have a thousand objects with low res maps rendered at once. After CPU does the population, it also has to check for hidden objects not seeable in your viewport/draw distance, before offloading the meshes and loading for the GPU.

Aside from object generation in the 3D space, you also have to track objects generated in 2D space (that means your UI, etc). While it may not be that much of an issue, consider the fact that one UI object (your inventory tab) has another inline 3D space to it. That’s another performance hit. There’s also the event tracking, where the CPU has to send to the renderer instructions on what event pointers should be drawn both on screen in 3D and 2D space.

We’re not also touching in the fact that GW2 is heavily compressed, and while I have no idea on how it’s bulk data structure is designed around, uncompressed the entire game bloats to 5x larger, a show on how texture-intensive GW2 is.

Not to mention that with the culling fix, the CPU is even more tasked because the server does not do the calcs anymore – instead, it sends all targets in the immediate and next view distance regardless of target priority.

Offloading it to the GPU sounds nice and all, but to replicate the tasks done by the CPU in GW2 means that most of the GPU calcs will have more number of actions done to it, and that GPU calculation must strike that balance between final size of the engine in the memory, as well as how it uses up the tech embedded inside the GPU.

Edit 1: And I’m still missing how their sound engine is coded, and how it tries to follow the same aspect of GW2’s graphics culling.

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

i7 won’t give any performance enhancement if the game only uses two threads or cores anyway.

Posted by: Avelos.6798

Avelos.6798

lawl your frames are decent anyway. I’m rocking an AMD FX-8350 @ 4.2 GHz with 16 GB 1600mhz and double 7970s (single card for GW2 ’cause hates crossfire) and I drop to single digits in those kinds of zerg fights.

I’m fine with it though. To spend the kind of money I’d need to get better performance, (high end board and intel i7 4770K because I refuse to go with anything but the best in a line) would not be worth it for one game.

also for the record I see on CoreTemp widget I got installed, GW2 is bouncing around on about 4 cores. 2 usually medium high load, the other two on lower load. But mine’s probably being used waaaay differently or something so I don’t believe it’s anything special going on here.