Option to hide other player's backpack

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Rednik.3809

Rednik.3809

Yes, while at it, give us the option to hide player’s titles, armor, weapon and back item skins.
As a matter of fact, turn all player models into sheep.
That would solve everything.

Sarcasm aside, I don’t think it would be fair to be able to hide back items or armor/weapon skins of ALL other players.
I mean, I worked hard for those legendaries and I didn’t work for them just for me to see them.
This isn’t a single-player game, and that would be against the very definition of an MMO.

If some player in chat annoys me, I can block him, regardless of how hard he works on his troll skills and sentences. Why I shouldn’t be able to do the same with annoying appearances?

Kiijna, Xast, Satis Ironwail, Sekhaina, Shira Forgesparkle, Sfeno, Nasibi, Tegeira, Rhonwe…
25 charracters

Posted by: Lethalvriend.1723

Lethalvriend.1723

I think an option for this could be nice for people with low-end pc’s. That way the game won’t have to render additional models and at the same time solves a bit of the visual clutter/immersion breaking. I am not too bothered by backpacks, I do find the wings to be ‘meh’ whenever I see one. They could simply make it so you can hide the look for everyone outside your party so you can still see it on friends or something.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

“I would only be ok with this if hiding a specific skin required permanently destroying it from your wardrobe.”
This is the epitome of selfishness. “If they don’t like me wearing it, they can’t have it!” is basically what you’re saying. And What of the people who don’t mind seeing your gawdy armor in places like LA or general PvE where it’s not a hindrance to anything? They just want the option to turn it off when it’s obstructive. Or, because they don’t want to see it at the moment. Who cares?
But no, your solution is “Deal with it, or you can’t have it!”

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

Yes, while at it, give us the option to hide player’s titles, armor, weapon and back item skins.
As a matter of fact, turn all player models into sheep.
That would solve everything.

Sarcasm aside, I don’t think it would be fair to be able to hide back items or armor/weapon skins of ALL other players.
I mean, I worked hard for those legendaries and I didn’t work for them just for me to see them.
This isn’t a single-player game, and that would be against the very definition of an MMO.

If some player in chat annoys me, I can block him, regardless of how hard he works on his troll skills and sentences. Why I shouldn’t be able to do the same with annoying appearances?

Who says you can’t?
Just report him.

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

I want people to see my skins, so I have to -1 this

But those people don’t want to see your skins. Why do you want those specific people to see your skins?

Because I worked for them. If they dont want to see them they should close their eyes.

I would only be ok with this if hiding a specific skin required permanently destroying it from your wardrobe.

and what about ppl with a slow rig, do they have to be punished for your selfishness?

if they have a slow rig they should be on lower graphics settings to compensate

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: Sarevok.2638

Sarevok.2638

But those people don’t want to see your skins. Why do you want those specific people to see your skins?

Because I worked for them. If they dont want to see them they should close their eyes.

I would only be ok with this if hiding a specific skin required permanently destroying it from your wardrobe.

and what about ppl with a slow rig, do they have to be punished for your selfishness?

Yeah umm, still going to add up in large areas, and not to mention, it’s still visual mess in some areas where sight is required.

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Still doesn’t remove all of the wings or all of the particle effects.

Posted by: Malediktus.3740

Malediktus.3740

My rig is over 5 years old and runs the game just fine on max settings. It must be a true potato computer to have fps drops from backpacks

One of my 30 accounts (Malediktus.9250).

BlaqueFyre.5678

My rig is over 5 years old and runs the game just fine on max settings. It must be a true potato computer to have fps drops from backpacks

It’s mostly people complain about the particle effects on everything now, myself its not it hurting my rig but the fact I cannot see what I would like when all that’s visible are massive amounts of particles from everyone’s armors/weapons and back items.

The Wings are just annoying because depending on your camera angle and such especially in cramped areas where you are not able to adjust the camera much they take up the whole screen.

And again it doesn’t affect the people that choose those items if the add options to allow others to disable them on their side.

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

Agree, they look hilariously stupid with their christmas tree shiny stuff. And they look all the same, too. Imagine Gandalf with such backitem talking seriously and fighting with it. People would think if he’s kittened.

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

Posted by: ProtoGunner.4953

ProtoGunner.4953

go to your graphics options and turn the character models at the bottom to low on both settings there.

I want to be play the game on max settings, because I am able to. I don’t want to lower the graphics just because some players want to make the most obnoxious looking characters ever. I rather have an option that remove objects—backpacks in this case—that have started to destroy the awesome and beautiful appearance of the rest of the game.

Backpacks and flashier armours and effects were finer back in the older days (except for the humongous spell effects that were going on in combat) but now flash armours, visual infusions and obnoxiously big backpacks in form of wings have appeared far too much, and just destroys the general feeling of the game world.

then thats your problem. not anyone elses.

And he’s asking for ANet to give him a solution that would work better for him. It’s not like he’s asking for the backpacks he hates to be removed from the game. That would be absurd.

He’s just asking for some means to enjoy the high graphics settings without having to see the backpacks he doesn’t like for whatever reason.

And there are good reasons for there to be a hider. Jumping puzzles in areas with already bad camera angles. People who get literal headaches from a particular backpack. One of the backpacks is just incredibly ugly to them and it ruins their enjoyment of the game.

he does have a option all it does is make all players wear basic realistic armor that keeps immersion. “b-but muh max settings” what? do you like to sit in lions ark and brag about them or something?

That option only works in PvP. It doesn’t work for PvE.

If they do any sort of hide item feature it should be: hide all or hide none. That way no one can argue about what is too “flashy”, “big”, “immersion breaking” etc.

The easiest would be to give PvE the same thing as PvP. I’m also only arguing for it due to the objective reasons: large wings on large Charr, or even just large Charr, make it hard for others to do jumping puzzles when the camera angle is already bad. Not because large wings are out of place in the game.

“only works in pvp” so i can tell youve never used it. because thats false.

For one I have no idea why you are so aggressive against these options being added in, since they do not affect you in the slightest, and two the Standard Model option is only in competitive game mode which is sPvP, while you can lower the Character model quality, it does not remove Back items or weapons the last I checked so you see people running around in Grey default Armor with particle effects and giant back pieces still.

So I ask you why should other players be forced to look at your choices, and conform to what you want graphics wise? Why should they have to lower there game quality because of other players decisions on Armor/Items that provide nothing other than Display clutter and rob them of better performance on their machine?

they are already added in. im not aggressive here im simply stating you dont want to use them because “muh max settings” that only affects other players and puts them all in realistic armor everywhere. someone posted a screenshot of it. your asking to waste dev time on something thats already in the game.

No using the character model quality does not remove legendary armor or Backpieces or their particle effects, why should other players have to lower their gameplay experience because of people like you? The only place that Standar Models removes all Particle effects from items and back items/ Legendaries is PvP no where else.

Lol, what a PC are you running? Even a 8 year old PC can run better settings…

‘would have/would’ve been’ —> correct
‘would of been’ —> wrong

BlaqueFyre.5678

go to your graphics options and turn the character models at the bottom to low on both settings there.

I want to be play the game on max settings, because I am able to. I don’t want to lower the graphics just because some players want to make the most obnoxious looking characters ever. I rather have an option that remove objects—backpacks in this case—that have started to destroy the awesome and beautiful appearance of the rest of the game.

Backpacks and flashier armours and effects were finer back in the older days (except for the humongous spell effects that were going on in combat) but now flash armours, visual infusions and obnoxiously big backpacks in form of wings have appeared far too much, and just destroys the general feeling of the game world.

then thats your problem. not anyone elses.

And he’s asking for ANet to give him a solution that would work better for him. It’s not like he’s asking for the backpacks he hates to be removed from the game. That would be absurd.

He’s just asking for some means to enjoy the high graphics settings without having to see the backpacks he doesn’t like for whatever reason.

And there are good reasons for there to be a hider. Jumping puzzles in areas with already bad camera angles. People who get literal headaches from a particular backpack. One of the backpacks is just incredibly ugly to them and it ruins their enjoyment of the game.

he does have a option all it does is make all players wear basic realistic armor that keeps immersion. “b-but muh max settings” what? do you like to sit in lions ark and brag about them or something?

That option only works in PvP. It doesn’t work for PvE.

If they do any sort of hide item feature it should be: hide all or hide none. That way no one can argue about what is too “flashy”, “big”, “immersion breaking” etc.

The easiest would be to give PvE the same thing as PvP. I’m also only arguing for it due to the objective reasons: large wings on large Charr, or even just large Charr, make it hard for others to do jumping puzzles when the camera angle is already bad. Not because large wings are out of place in the game.

“only works in pvp” so i can tell youve never used it. because thats false.

For one I have no idea why you are so aggressive against these options being added in, since they do not affect you in the slightest, and two the Standard Model option is only in competitive game mode which is sPvP, while you can lower the Character model quality, it does not remove Back items or weapons the last I checked so you see people running around in Grey default Armor with particle effects and giant back pieces still.

So I ask you why should other players be forced to look at your choices, and conform to what you want graphics wise? Why should they have to lower there game quality because of other players decisions on Armor/Items that provide nothing other than Display clutter and rob them of better performance on their machine?

they are already added in. im not aggressive here im simply stating you dont want to use them because “muh max settings” that only affects other players and puts them all in realistic armor everywhere. someone posted a screenshot of it. your asking to waste dev time on something thats already in the game.

No using the character model quality does not remove legendary armor or Backpieces or their particle effects, why should other players have to lower their gameplay experience because of people like you? The only place that Standar Models removes all Particle effects from items and back items/ Legendaries is PvP no where else.

Lol, what a PC are you running? Even a 8 year old PC can run better settings…

I turned the graphics all the way down to prove to sophiewhite that drop graphics does not remove particle effects or back items from players, I run max Settings normally at over 60 fps with my 6 year old computer running a Radeon 6970. This was solely a demonstration to prove someone was lying about having the option to turn off wings and particle effects outside of PvP matches by turning down graphics.

I would never be able to stand playing with those settings, the only time I even drop to those settings is when I get caught up in a 3 blob fight at SMC.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

I don’t understand the argument for the other side still. We keep repeating it over, and over, and over again. People who want to see the backpacks and auras can.

You. Will. Never. Know. Someone can’t see something on your character. We already can set you to standard models, we know that. We can still see your backpacks with it on which is what the thread is about.

Your choices and tastes in skins don’t matter. Our choices and tastes in skins don’t matter. This again is an option that doesn’t effect you as you will never know someone has it on unless they go out of their way to tell you. So you need to stop playing the victim card. When legendary armor is available we already have the option to see it as a grey default skin. You’ll have to argue to have that changed, or your arguments for forcing people to see your legendary skins is moot.

Lastly the option is already is sPvP so it’s going to take some work, but the ground work is done.

The other side doesn’t have an argument, they’re trolling.

I’m impressed it’s gone on this long. The people who are against this option are the very people who make their characters seizure inducing stroboscopes, and plant them in jumping puzzles.

Obviously, I’m a +1 for the “give us a slider” option.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

How would people feel if Anet removed visuals from legendaries, chak eggs the bee item and poly luminescence items?

They ruin immersion, hard to see and blah blah blah too? Or do people get to show them off because they’re worth more?

It’s guild wars 2, its a fashion war. If you remove peoples ability to flaunt it here, then there’s another game they can go flaunt it on so to speak.

I see most people arguement is “but i cant see in a JP”….. Have you guys tried like, waiting for the guy with wings to move on? You don’t have to run ontop of a norn with wings to do a JP, you CAN wait for them to move or better yet, zoom all the way in to first person mode and run strait through them….

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

BlaqueFyre.5678

How would people feel if Anet removed visuals from legendaries, chak eggs the bee item and poly luminescence items?

They ruin immersion, hard to see and blah blah blah too? Or do people get to show them off because they’re worth more?

It’s guild wars 2, its a fashion war. If you remove peoples ability to flaunt it here, then there’s another game they can go flaunt it on so to speak.

I see most people arguement is “but i cant see in a JP”….. Have you guys tried like, waiting for the guy with wings to move on? You don’t have to run ontop of a norn with wings to do a JP, you CAN wait for them to move or better yet, zoom all the way in to first person mode and run strait through them….

Again why does it matter if everyone has to see your infusions/Particle effects / ridiculous back piece?

If they added in the options for players to disable those t would have no affect on you, these block more than just JPs, it clutters screens and obscures important visual Queues in WvW against players, it obstructs visuals in boss fights and so on.

Why should players be forced to see these things if they do not want to? What makes you so special to force your decisions and fashion choices on to other players gameplay?

Since these suggestions will not impact you in the slightest if they are implemented.

sephiroth.4217

Again why does it matter if everyone has to see your infusions/Particle effects / ridiculous back piece?

If they added in the options for players to disable those t would have no affect on you, these block more than just JPs, it clutters screens and obscures important visual Queues in WvW against players, it obstructs visuals in boss fights and so on.

Why should players be forced to see these things if they do not want to? What makes you so special to force your decisions and fashion choices on to other players gameplay?

Since these suggestions will not impact you in the slightest if they are implemented.

It honestly doesn’t bother me because I help myself, if someones wings are in the way, I find a way around it.

What I’m saying is, if they add the slider to back packs, it should also apply to legendaries, chak eggs, queen bee and poly luminescence items based on the arguments presented in this thread, should it not? Of course I’m only looking at this logically.

(on a side note I agree, im a selfish person and if I see a chak egg sak blurr past I would love to hide that effect because I know I will never get that item therefor I don’t want to see it, I’m childish at times too)

….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

BlaqueFyre.5678

It honestly doesn’t bother me because I help myself, if someones wings are in the way, I find a way around it.

What I’m saying is, if they add the slider to back packs, it should also apply to legendaries, chak eggs, queen bee and poly luminescence items…

I agree that it should apply to all of those, they have a simpler means already built In which is standard models which they could use for game wide options, even if they separated Particle effects to their own slider and all back items to its own toggle option would work as well.

It would make a lot of people happy.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

Wouldn’t bother me.

People with such items should have them so that they can look at them, not so that people who they do not know, that don’t know them, and who don’t want to see the items/effects can be required to see them.

Posted by: MoarChaos.8320

MoarChaos.8320

I swear. What don’t you get? You’re forcing something on others. How is that ok to you? We are in no way forcing something on you by asking for this. As you will have no way of knowing if we have the setting on! So allow me to address all the points in your “argument”.

First point: People who want to be more immersed in the game shouldn’t have any say in what’s included in their game, as they are second class citizens to people with legendary skins and auras. What they have to say doesn’t matter “blah blah blah blah”.

Second point: Guild Wars 2 is fashion wars. It’s a requirement that everyone be apart of it, and that no one feels a disturbance in the fashion force by getting a slight feeling that maybe someone can’t see their skins. Otherwise players will all leave to a new game because they somehow know people can’t see their skins in their client side options.

Third point: Have you guys tried just waiting for the person blocking the view of a ledge in a jumping puzzle with their wings to move? Yes, someone mentioned the exact scenario as a problem. There’s nothing you can do if they’re afk as no matter what setting you put on in pve the wings blocking the view will still be showing.

So please just quote this last part if someone again brings up the fact that, because they earned it everyone should be forced to see it. And people arguing against, you need to answer this and stop putting your hands over your ears.

How will you know someone has the toggle on if it’s implemented? And how does that effect you in anyway? They already didn’t care about your skin if that’s the reason they’re turning it on.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

In the place of a Dark Lord wings you would have a Queen particle-effect laden backpiece! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me my backpiece and despair!

~EW

Posted by: BlackWolf.8605

BlackWolf.8605

wait so people want “immersion” yet dont want to see things that are in gw2? you dont seam to know what immersion means… go find another game

Wolves of The Abyss [Wolf]

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I have to admit, some of the arguments against are rather . . . unique.

Gone to Reddit.

MoarChaos.8320

And you seem to be taking one thing that someone else said, and think that means toggle is out the question.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

My response to this sort of remark is why should they care? The people in this thread looking at these items aren’t admiring them. They aren’t wishing they had them. They aren’t saying, “how cool. Where can I get that.” You can not show off to someone who dislikes the way you look.

The people who do like it will leave the slider untouched and enjoy the flashy. Those are the people to show off to and get the admiring looks and whispers. Not the ones who think it’s ugly.

Full disclosure. I have the ghostly infusion, the Polys, the queen bee and various wings, butning backpacks, etc. If they don’t want to see it, what do I care if they move a slider over. I’ll never know (or care) if they do or not. I’ll enjoy my shiny, they’ll enjoy their standard models and we’ll both be happy.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

Exactly what Just a Flesh Wound said and said well. +1

Gone to Reddit.

BlackWolf.8605

thease items are part of the game, if you do not like games with thease types of items sotp playing this game

MoarChaos.8320

What about armor then? We can already blot that out :o Whatever will happen when legendary armor comes out. The game will just massively lose players. Such a sad fate. Hope you guys enjoy it for a couple more months T^T

BlaqueFyre.5678

You can’t blot out armor in Pve or WvW at will (WvW will automatically do this in stressed areas where big fights happen) , you can only do that in PvP, as shown in a screenshot I posted,

Ashen.2907

thease items are part of the game, if you do not like games with thease types of items sotp playing this game

This game, originally, had only the content it shipped with. Should people who wanted the game to change over time to include more have left?

This game has bugs that are part of the game. Should those who want bugs fixed leave?

This game has points of imbalance. Should those who desire balance leave?

Desiring, even asking for, additions to the game is not an indication that one should leave it.

Edit: I note, from your own post history, that you do not have a problem asking for things to be added to the game or complaining about things that aren’t in game.

(edited by Ashen.2907)

Posted by: Moyayuki.3619

Moyayuki.3619

In the place of a Dark Lord wings you would have a Queen particle-effect laden backpiece! Not dark but beautiful and terrible as the Morn! Treacherous as the Seas! Stronger than the foundations of the Earth! All shall love me my backpiece and despair!

~EW

Awesome quote, sir.

Server: Dragonbrand
Guild: Moonlit Renegades (Moon)
Highest-Level Toon: Markus Emmerich, 80 Human Scrapper

BlackWolf.8605

bugs are error need fixing
balanse issuse are either one class is op.. the real world has this issue also
your are asking for removal of parts of the game for your liking as you dislike “flashy” items… go play an mmo were all the armors are historicaly accurate if you dont like fantacy

Ashen.2907

your are asking for removal of parts of the game

Incorrect.

MoarChaos.8320

You can’t blot out armor in Pve or WvW at will (WvW will automatically do this in stressed areas where big fights happen) , you can only do that in PvP, as shown in a screenshot I posted,

You can set everyone to greyish pink default armor in pve.

Attachments:

Posted by: Gillian.1859

Gillian.1859

I fully agree with a slider option or a way to remove backpieces from the game, as long as I can also have a slider option or a way to remove all toons that do not have any flashy legendaries or backpieces. I think it’s fair, no? You get to remove the shinies. I get to remove the non-shinies. I like it when things are fair.

BlaqueFyre.5678

Yes but that does not get rid of the wings or particle effects.

MoarChaos.8320

I fully agree with a slider option or a way to remove backpieces from the game, as long as I can also have a slider option or a way to remove all toons that do not have any flashy legendaries or backpieces. I think it’s fair, no? You get to remove the shinies. I get to remove the non-shinies. I like it when things are fair.

That is fair. It’s just harder to implement. But I wouldn’t mind at all. You might see me though since I have the Nevermore. But I think we’re going strictly backpacks, and auras here so maybe not.

BlaqueFyre.5678

It wouldn’t be removing anyone, for one they are just turning off aspects that degrade their game play. That has no effect on your gameplay. It sounds like you are trying to throw a fit just to throw one.

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

MoarChaos.8320

Yes that’s what the entire forum is about… You only mentioned armor and I wanted to clarify that that statement was false.

Ashen.2907

a slider option or a way to remove all toons that do not have any flashy legendaries or backpieces.

Start your own thread if this is something you seriously want.

Posted by: EphemeralWallaby.7643

EphemeralWallaby.7643

Can the lowest setting of this slider make everyone look like Jungle Lord Faren?

Please?

~EW

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

Can the lowest setting of this slider make everyone look like Jungle Lord Faren?

Please?

~EW

But then which one would we all follow to adventure?

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

BlaqueFyre.5678

Yes that’s what the entire forum is about… You only mentioned armor and I wanted to clarify that that statement was false.

Yeah I realized I only stated armor in that when I group Particle effects and Backpieces in that overall category.

But it also raises the fact why would someone have to completely trash their visual experience to drop the particles/armor of other characters when all they want are disable Backpieces and Particle effects without impacting the rest of the graphics experience?

(edited by BlaqueFyre.5678)

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Quite a lot of people completely misunderstanding and instead starts to hyperboling to the extreme.

We’re not removing the items from you or the game, however, we wish to hide all backpacks because more and more backpacks are being created to look obnoxious, so being able to hide them will help during everyday activity that would otherwise cover the gameplay.

Posted by: Kulpath.6314

Kulpath.6314

This will probably never happen. Back pieces are sold for gems as vanity items, the very definition of vanity is to show off to others. Less people will buy these items and ArenaNet will lose sales for these items ( no one would buy a Ferrari if when they drove off the lot everyone saw a Hyundai Accent). So while I personally don’t care, well actually I lean towards allowing people to express themselves cause that’s just who I am, I just don’t see this ever being an option.

I do agree that at times they can be annoying and block your view, however it is not hard to reposition yourself, wait for them to pass, or prove to them all the money they spent on vanity items will not make them as good a player as you and leave them in the dust.

edited to add: The fact that so many people have wings and other vanity back pieces shows a healthy economy for GW2. Many of these players are the reason we all get living world, and frequent updates.

Cheers and happy gaming.

(edited by Kulpath.6314)

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Quite a lot of people completely misunderstanding and instead starts to hyperboling to the extreme.

We’re not removing the items from you or the game, however, we wish to hide all backpacks because more and more backpacks are being created to look obnoxious, so being able to hide them will help during everyday activity that would otherwise cover the gameplay.

Settings should not be added because things look obnoxious to some. That’s completely opinion on whether or not something is obnoxious. It may be obnoxious to you, but not to the person whose character is wearing it.

It should only be an option if there are game reasons for it. Which in this case there are: easier to see tells from bosses, see the red rings, see the rings from allies for boons/buffs, easier to navigate jumping puzzles without having to wait as much, easier to navigate jumping puzzles for larger characters if the standard model options affects the player character, etc.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

This will probably never happen. Back pieces are sold for gems as vanity items, the very definition of vanity is to show off to others. Less people will buy these items and ArenaNet will lose sales for these items ( no one would buy a Ferrari if when they drove off the lot everyone saw a Hyundai Accent). So while I personally don’t care, well actually I lean towards allowing people to express themselves cause that’s just who I am, I just don’t see this ever being an option.

I do agree that at times they can be annoying and block your view, however it is not hard to reposition yourself, wait for them to pass, or prove to them all the money they spent on vanity items will not make them as good a player as you and leave them in the dust.

edited to add: The fact that so many people have wings and other vanity back pieces shows a healthy economy for GW2. Many of these players are the reason we all get living world, and frequent updates.

Cheers and happy gaming.

This setting change would not affect your ability to put the largest wings and the most particle effect giving wings, armor, weapons, etc onto your characters.

This setting would let players who want to be able to see boss tells better during world boss events to see them easier. It will let players who would prefer to not have to wait for one character with wings to pass (to which another player with wings may follow given their popularity) to navigate the jumping puzzles where camera angles are tight and limited. Same with players not wanting to wait for Charr and Norn characters to pass when they are on Asura in areas with tight, limited camera angles.

It would be a setting that I would occasionally use and I would only turn it on when needed and then turn it off when not needed.

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I think a lot of people here have obviously not come to terms with the fact that MMO’s are not for them. Single player games for you guys only please.

Posted by: Squee.7829

Squee.7829

I think a lot of people here have obviously not come to terms with the fact that MMO’s are not for them. Single player games for you guys only please.

What I read was “MMO’s are not for people I don’t agree with”
No, MMO’s are for EVERYONE who wants to play it. So if a lot of people don’t want to see something, it’s in the MMO’s best interest to cater to them as well as the people who do want to see it. In this case, Anet can do both by giving the people the OPTION to see backpacks/auras/etc. or to disable them.
No one (or at least none that I saw) is asking to remove huge obstructive armor and accessories. You worked for it. You earned it. Show it off to everyone who cares to see! But if people are annoyed by it, they have their right to disable it. And you would be none the wiser, so it won’t hurt your feelings.

Leader and sole member of the “Bring Penguins to Tyria” movement.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

Don’t hyperbole.

No one is saying they don’t want to play with others. We are saying we want to get rid of annoying effects and other over-the-top objects that covers the actual gameplay.

Just because it happens to sit on other players we can’t help. We simply ask for a way to remove the objects covering the character and things going on around it, not removing the player itself.

sephiroth.4217

I swear. What don’t you get? You’re forcing something on others. How is that ok to you? We are in no way forcing something on you by asking for this. As you will have no way of knowing if we have the setting on! So allow me to address all the points in your “argument”.

First point: People who want to be more immersed in the game shouldn’t have any say in what’s included in their game, as they are second class citizens to people with legendary skins and auras. What they have to say doesn’t matter “blah blah blah blah”.

Second point: Guild Wars 2 is fashion wars. It’s a requirement that everyone be apart of it, and that no one feels a disturbance in the fashion force by getting a slight feeling that maybe someone can’t see their skins. Otherwise players will all leave to a new game because they somehow know people can’t see their skins in their client side options.

Third point: Have you guys tried just waiting for the person blocking the view of a ledge in a jumping puzzle with their wings to move? Yes, someone mentioned the exact scenario as a problem. There’s nothing you can do if they’re afk as no matter what setting you put on in pve the wings blocking the view will still be showing.

So please just quote this last part if someone again brings up the fact that, because they earned it everyone should be forced to see it. And people arguing against, you need to answer this and stop putting your hands over your ears.

How will you know someone has the toggle on if it’s implemented? And how does that effect you in anyway? They already didn’t care about your skin if that’s the reason they’re turning it on.

lol you must have typed this on pure emotion because you’re the one who doesn’t get it buddy.

Before you try cramming your opinion down my throat as my own let me be very clear about this. I do not care if this option is implemented or not….

My view point is purely based on what is here on this thread with very simple logic applied. Eg: “Wings make me lag and particles”… LOGICALLY speaking it should also apply to legendaries, chak eggs and everything else. THAT’S IT!!!!! Logic.

As to your points:

1. Incorrect. We all paid for this game, we all get to play how we want. People can be immersed as much as they want to be as much as the next guy running naked through the snow with Quip.

2. I completely agree, hence my logical stand point should be applied to all areas and not just wings. people worked really hard for their wings as much as someone else working for Sunrise. If it wasn’t a fashion war, we would all be wearing standard character models. Everything in this game is revolved around “grinding” for a cosmetic item. Why discredit someone because they made Ascension instead of The Moot?

3. I said this exact solution already in the thread earlier, suggested to move through people or go to first person mode.

As to the last few parts of what you wrote, refer back to point 2. In a game where everything is based on grinding for flashy items, people should see it. Doesn’t matter if it’s The Ascension or Sunrise, remember this is a MMO and not a single player game.

Again like I said, I don’t actually care if the option is implemented, just apply it to all areas and not just the wings, it’s only logical based off this thread and IF wings can make people lag and IF an option was added to disable wings/legendaries/particale effects for the sake of FPS I would most likely use it.

….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)