Option to hide other player's backpack

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

15 charrs to fix a thread

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

Posted by: Farzo.8410

Farzo.8410

I think the counter argument focus too much on wings alone when backpacks in general was my point. The option I suggest simply turns the backpacks off for everyone including yourself.

I do think some armours and infusions especially can be very obnoxious and annoying, interrupting the overall screen of the game too much. However, I came to the conclusion that backpacks are the bigger criminals here, so if I suggested something it would be this option I wish for.

If I could dream I would simply want to do a rollback to the release of this game, then sit through looking at all the future added skins and re-think their belonging in this game, both through theme and performance issues.

Posted by: Meehael.8240

Meehael.8240

Agree, they look hilariously stupid with their christmas tree shiny stuff. And they look all the same, too. Imagine Gandalf with such backitem talking seriously and fighting with it. People would think if he’s kittened.

That’s not a player’s fault, it’s Anet’s for putting these items into game.

Intel i7-3770, MSI GTX1070 8GB, Asus P8H61 Pro, 16GB DDR3 @1600 MHz,
Corsair CX500 PSU, Kingston V300 60GB SSD

Posted by: Ardenwolfe.8590

Ardenwolfe.8590

I don’t know why, but as an MMO progresses in age, it’s like the newest items must get bigger and gaudier. And yes, backpack items—especially since gliding’s introduction—is the biggest culprit here.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: General Health.9678

General Health.9678

It’s guild wars 2, its a fashion war. If you remove peoples ability to flaunt it here, then there’s another game they can go flaunt it on so to speak.

It is guild wars 2!
It isn’t a fashion war!
I already have my graphics turned down, I already can’t see your stuff.
A slider would let me bring the environment back.

How do you even have a fashion war? Makes no sense. How do you fight a particle effect? With a dye channel? So confused.

Blame Abaddon, he loves your tears.
pve, raid, pvp, fractal, dungeon, world clearing, legendary questing.. Zapped!

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

I think a lot of people here have obviously not come to terms with the fact that MMO’s are not for them. Single player games for you guys only please.

What I read was “MMO’s are not for people I don’t agree with”
No, MMO’s are for EVERYONE who wants to play it. So if a lot of people don’t want to see something, it’s in the MMO’s best interest to cater to them as well as the people who do want to see it. In this case, Anet can do both by giving the people the OPTION to see backpacks/auras/etc. or to disable them.
No one (or at least none that I saw) is asking to remove huge obstructive armor and accessories. You worked for it. You earned it. Show it off to everyone who cares to see! But if people are annoyed by it, they have their right to disable it. And you would be none the wiser, so it won’t hurt your feelings.

The problem is this. Where would such an absurd request stop? And let’s be real. It is a totally selfish and absurd request. What If I don’t like seeing Sparkly legendaries? Shall we have an option to remove those too? I mean GreatSwords are massive right? Get rid of Twilight and Eternity, they are obnoxious. You know, that chaos gloves glow really annoy me, I demand a slider now to remove them! Actually come to think of it, remove all spells from the game. The over the top effects are not to “my” taste. Do you see where this could go?

Instead of asking the devs to put time into something so utterly trivial when we are crying out for real , new content, why not just IGNORE the backpacks. You are asking for special treatment for something 99% of players couldn’t give a toss about; yet something that would no doubt take time and resources to implement. We don’t even have Build Templates implemented yet and the LFG system is still hideously flawed. It’s things like this that MOST players would like the Devs to put effort into, outside of new Content. Your request is a 1st world issue if ever there was one.

(edited by Mitch.4781)

Ardenwolfe.8590

Actually, given how ANet’s turned down a lot of the graphic effects with auras and certain spells due to complaints . . . I wouldn’t be so quick to dismiss the notion.

So calling the request ‘selfish and absurd’, given some of the insightful examples shown above, is a bit much.

On that note, I’m really not getting some of these extreme responses.

Gone to Reddit.

(edited by Ardenwolfe.8590)

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

It’s guild wars 2, its a fashion war. If you remove peoples ability to flaunt it here, then there’s another game they can go flaunt it on so to speak.

It is guild wars 2!
It isn’t a fashion war!
I already have my graphics turned down, I already can’t see your stuff.
A slider would let me bring the environment back.

How do you even have a fashion war? Makes no sense. How do you fight a particle effect? With a dye channel? So confused.

It says in your signature “Legendary questing”….

Anyway, refer to the rest of what I said before you quoted things out of context and you’ll see you I don’t care if it’s implemented or not, if wings can give FPS problems and such then so can Legendaries and other player effects. I even said I would use it IF it actually did give FPS problems.

Your guild also has a lot of shiny pictures, nice website btw. Funnily enough the best picture was everyone naked at the bar.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Farzo.8410

I think a lot of people here have obviously not come to terms with the fact that MMO’s are not for them. Single player games for you guys only please.

No, MMO’s are for EVERYONE who wants to play it. So if a lot of people don’t want to see something, it’s in the MMO’s best interest to cater to them as well as the people who do want to see it. In this case, Anet can do both by giving the people the OPTION to see backpacks/auras/etc. or to disable them.
No one (or at least none that I saw) is asking to remove huge obstructive armor and accessories. You worked for it. You earned it. Show it off to everyone who cares to see! But if people are annoyed by it, they have their right to disable it. And you would be none the wiser, so it won’t hurt your feelings.

The problem is this. Where would such an absurd request stop? And let’s be real. It is a totally selfish and absurd request. What If I don’t like seeing Sparkly legendaries? Shall we have an option to remove those too? I mean GreatSwords are massive right? Get rid of Twilight and Eternity, they are obnoxious. You know, that chaos gloves glow really annoy me, I demand a slider now to remove them! Actually come to think of it, remove all spells from the game. The over the top effects are not to “my” taste. Do you see where this could go?

Instead of asking the devs to put time into something so utterly trivial when we are crying out for real , new content, why not just IGNORE the backpacks. You are asking for special treatment for something 99% of players couldn’t give a toss about; yet something that would no doubt take time and resources to implement. We don’t even have Build Templates implemented yet and the LFG system is still hideously flawed. It’s things like this that MOST players would like the Devs to put effort into, outside of new Content. Your request is a 1st world issue if ever there was one.

You’re going over to taste a little bit too much in your argument. We’re still talking about backpacks and what they are disrupting in the gameplay, actually hindering to see certain game mechanics because of how big, glowy and obnoxious they are. The word obnoxious is personal, because that’s what I think they are, that’s not the point in the argument.

Meehael.8240

I didn’t spend thousands of gems on cosmetic gem store items so that I look good only to myself, you do get that? I might sound blunt, but that’s common sense.

You DO understand that the suggested option would totally beat the purpose of the cosmetic part of the gem store and I would be totally kittened off if my gems were actually gone to crud because of that.

Lady Gaga doesn’t dress like that just for her to look special to herself in her bedroom.

(edited by Meehael.8240)

Posted by: Mitch.4781

Mitch.4781

You’re going over to taste a little bit too much in your argument. We’re still talking about backpacks and what they are disrupting in the gameplay, actually hindering to see certain game mechanics because of how big, glowy and obnoxious they are. The word obnoxious is personal, because that’s what I think they are, that’s not the point in the argument.

Except that’s exactly the point that you seem to be missing. “You” find the backpacks distrupting. I certainly don’t, for example. The issue is what if another person finds Huge Greatswords disrupting or other areas or effects of the game? Where would it stop? If the Developers complied with every single specific request to a players taste, we would simply see no more content as they’d be locked up for months trying to comply with all these silly requests. The art style of GW2 is what it is. What you are requesting basically tells me that this simply isn’t to your taste. That’s fine, but this isn’t really an issue for ANET, but really one for you. It would be like telling Tim Burton; “Hey Tim, in your next movie, stop doing all those Gothic styles, they are obnoxious to me”.

Can you even give a specific example of where a backpiece hindered you seeing a certain game mechanic? Truthfully?

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

I didn’t spend thousands of gems on cosmetic gem store items so that I look good only to myself, you do get that? I might sound blunt, but that’s common sense.

You DO understand that the suggested option would totally beat the purpose of the cosmetic part of the gem store and I would be totally kittened off if my gems were actually gone to crud because of that.

Lady Gaga doesn’t dress like that just for her to look special to herself in her bedroom.

They don’t think you look good so yes, you did spend thousands of gems to look good for yourself, right now, without any slider.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Ardenwolfe.8590

Just . . . wow. . . .

Gone to Reddit.

Posted by: LondineX.2714

LondineX.2714

Next it’s going to be that those scantily clad female norns distract me when doing jumping puzzles/raids/events etc. Can i please have an option to hide them haha!

Meehael.8240

They don’t think you look good so yes, you did spend thousands of gems to look good for yourself, right now, without any slider.

May I get a Fashion Sense slider for me to slide so that you can finally look good, too?

Farzo.8410

It can already be done so your point doesn’t really mean anything here. As said, we can already lower the model quality so you appear as a grey soldier, and the only thing that would be visible still is your backpack.

Lady Gaga also dresses in very crazy attires that only her and her fashion manager comes up with, making it a very unique set. Original.

You running around in the #500 bought cash shop armour and the #600 bought cash shop wings, running around with the same attire as others who bought it isn’t exactly anything fun, or remarkable to look at.

There’s next to no value for your armour or outfit except for yourself.

Posted by: Monster.4802

Monster.4802

I really dislike the looks of those boring non particle armors.
I dress my character up with the most particles I can find in the game. I want to be shiny and I really want others to be shiny as well.

Could I get a slider or an option to make non shiny armors, weapons, backpacks to be really big and shiny. I like that style. The bigger and more particles the better (for me).

I see some people running around that look like they made their character 5 seconds ago. I dont like that, they offend me. Give me a slider to make them more like my taste and more like me

Meehael.8240

It can already be done so your point doesn’t really mean anything here. As said, we can already lower the model quality so you appear as a grey soldier, and the only thing that would be visible still is your backpack.

Lady Gaga also dresses in very crazy attires that only her and her fashion manager comes up with, making it a very unique set. Original.

You running around in the #500 bought cash shop armour and the #600 bought cash shop wings, running around with the same attire as others who bought it isn’t exactly anything fun, or remarkable to look at.

There’s next to no value for your armour or outfit except for yourself.

Well, currently, you still see legendary weapons’ skins. I’m thinking this will extend to legendary armor skins, too (once it comes out), for consistency’s sake.
So, even if playing with “basic” models, you should see all legendary skins (weapons, armor and backpack).

Farzo.8410

I dress my character up with the most particles I can find in the game. I want to be shiny and I really want others to be shiny as well.

Could I get a slider or an option to make non shiny armors, weapons, backpacks to be really big and shiny. I like that style. The bigger and more particles the better (for me).

I see some people running around that look like they made their character 5 seconds ago. I dont like that, they offend me. Give me a slider to make them more like my taste and more like me

You’re not helping your side of the argument by hyperboling.

Posted by: Monster.4802

Monster.4802

You’re not helping your side of the argument by hyperboling.

Maybe im not. But I cant help but laugh when I read this topic.
I had to show some people how ridiculous this request is. People have different opinions. The game has a certain style. You like it or you dont. There are already options to turn down character looks but “I dont want to lower my settings cuz I can play on max so I will play on max”. The whole argument is annoying. Let people dress how they want. Some people hate how I dress my char. Some love it. You can never make all people happy.

Meehael.8240

Imho, backpacks should only be able to be hidden for characters that are “trimmed down” due to Character Model Quality setting, because otherwise, they’re an integral part of a “regular” character looks.

Legendary skins are an expection, I guess, because legendary weapon skins are always displayed.

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

May I get a Fashion Sense slider for me to slide so that you can finally look good, too?

You can for all I care. You can like what my chars wear. You can dislike what my chars wear. It’s all the same to me. My chars wear what makes me happy and I don’t need to have others approve it before I like it.

If there’s a slider the ones that already like what you wear wont use it. They’ll still admire it. You’ll have zero change in the numbers that see and like what you wear. The difference is a drop in the numbers that dislike what you wear as they no longer can see it.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Margorion.4962

Margorion.4962

Farzo, just a a flesh wound and the rest, I admire your patience.
Repeating the same arguments to dozens of players who didnt read the thread. Getting unrespectful responses and still find some sort composure to rebuff they posts.
I couldnt do that, i would have lost patience ten times over.
I doubt it will change anything, but its still nice to see players who care about the game.
So Thank you.

Posted by: Moderator

[It appears this topic has been discussed at length and has become repetitive and aggressive. Thank you for the feedback. It is now closed.]