Option to mute someone using Tome ofKnowledge

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Just Sam.1346

Just Sam.1346

I don’t really have a problem with it, but hearing someone use a tome 79 times is horribly annoying. I don’t want to have to mute all sound for such a small thing.

Posted by: dagrdagaz.4913

dagrdagaz.4913

For me, i also cant stand the animation anymore.
Now i immediatly leave the Bank (NPC) when someone starts with ToK’s
:-(

Posted by: DoctorDing.5890

DoctorDing.5890

I think you might all be over-reacting to something that doesn’t happen very often

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

Why is it a problem to turn the sound down for a bit, or move away?

It usually happens at the bank in a city and I can’t imagine there’s much going on you need to listen to (unless you really like hearing “more violets, less violence” and “I pray to the Spirits of the Wild but they rarely answer” again).

More generally I would love it if there was a way to control each sound effect individually. I don’t mind this but for example I’d permanently mute all spiders and there’s a few NPCs I’d like to turn down or silence. But I imagine it’d be a lot of work to add that, and adding the option for just one sound and not others which annoy other people would probably lead to a lot of disappointed people.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

(edited by Danikat.8537)

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

How about a consume all like we have with luck? Or if you have a large number Consume # then you enter the number you wish to use? Then it would only be once, faster for them as well.

Posted by: LSD.4673

LSD.4673

How about a consume all like we have with luck? Or if you have a large number Consume # then you enter the number you wish to use? Then it would only be once, faster for them as well.

That’s not how this works around here, silly.
Mystic forge lady will accept 20 Tomes in exchange for a mega-tome that gives 20 levels. Coming soon.

Posted by: Sinmir.6504

Sinmir.6504

That’s not how this works around here, silly.
Mystic forge lady will accept 20 Tomes in exchange for a mega-tome that gives 20 levels. Coming soon.

How about instead 80 tomes for a Level-80 Boost?

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

I don’t really have a problem with it, but hearing someone use a tome 79 times is horribly annoying. I don’t want to have to mute all sound for such a small thing.

I think a lot of people would agree with you that the sound is annoying but lets be fair, its very easy to just move somewhere else, its not as if these people are following you around blasting tomes in your ear on purpose, its kinda live and let live in this situation.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Early in the game, Tomes were more rare and usually only one was used. I’m sure the devs wanted to show that gaining a level was a big deal so they gave it the noise and light. But now that people use Tomes by the score, I think the devs should simply remove the noise and light.

The first time I experienced someone using something like 20 Tomes at once, I had no idea what it was. I had never used a Tome because I like to level my characters. I thought the person was just spamming some weapon skill or something lol.

As for moving away, if I’m busy looking in my bank for something or looking through the possible wardrobe (in the bank since I haven’t unlocked everything), I can’t simply move away without a fair bit of inconvenience.

I think a new interface option is a great idea. But I would vote for something that lets you indicate how many to use and then simply makes your character that level instead of “using” a Tome over and over.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Adding an option for a single thing would be rather silly. But I definitely agree that this gets on my nerves. It seems to happen a lot in the Havoc’s Airship. Seems like every other time I go there, there’s someone using tomes en-mass. And they always seem to be using them as slowly as possible, I guess probably grabbing rewards between levels, so its guaranteed I’m going to be listening to that sound for a while, and there’s nowhere in the airship you can go where you’re far enough away to not hear it and still be able to access any of the facilities like the bank, TP, crafting stations, ect.

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

i agree with op also be nice when they are used in the game . only that person hears

and sees the flashing sounds of it being used !! and not as it is currently used all that

flashing when your at trade posts or at the crafting areas can become very blinding

on other people fully !!

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Duke Nukem.6783

Duke Nukem.6783

lots of annoying sounds exist in the world made by players and anet has done a very VERY poor job isolating and letting us silence them,

minipets (to this day i still swear at every single person i see with a super banana minipet)

zapping sounds from skills that passively apply boons (im looking at you faucet of nature)

and of course the big one MAY THE STARS GUIDE YOU, MAY THE STARS GUIDE YOU, MAY THE STARS GUIDE YOU, MAY THE STARS GUIDE YOU
eeeeeeverytime someone talks to a banker or merchant holy jimminy junkers wtf were you thinking anet? this has been a complaint for years and no fix

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I don’t think it’s worth ANet’s time to do this. It’s complicated to isolate one sound and expensive to create the UI necessary to mute just it and nothing else.

I’m not even sure that it’s so annoying to enough people that it’s worth worrying about. (I dislike the sound; I just don’t hear/see people leveling up so often that I care.)

If it turns out to be worth addressing at all, then there are many simpler options:

• Turn off the sound entirely. Pro: simple. Con: might affect the animation for leveling up generally.
  • Add a cool-down on the sound/animation for leveling of maybe 30 seconds. Pro: only affects using tomes. Con: trickier to program, since the effect probably wasn’t designed with a cooldown.
  • Disable the use of tomes except in instances. Pro: No one ever has to see a tome-generated level up ever again. Con: pain for everyone using tomes, although a minor one (since people generally use tomes only once per toon).

tl;dr if it’s that big of a problem for that many people, then there are simpler solutions than trying to offer an option just for this sound.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

How about adding a de-buff that gives a 30 second cool-down between uses of Tomes of Knowledge? There’d be no spam then, I assure you.

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Posted by: Ceridwen.6703

Ceridwen.6703

I personally hate those things. The sound is irritating, but the flash is worse - it’s not giving me a seizure, but I’m bugged enough by it to become mildly irrational. If I’m at the bank when it occurs, and it usually does, I peg it for the nearest craft station and use the bank there. I don’t think it’s necessary to have sound and visuals for each individual tome consumption, and would support something of a cooldown - it fires on the first usage and at set intervals of, say, 15 seconds thereafter, if possible. Alternatively, that previously-mentioned-up-thread "consume all" would also be nice.

“Ph’nglui mglw’nafh Steve R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn.”

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

Why do people always make changes like this to be more important then things in the core game? It seems kind of like an entitled attitude and nitpicking at this point.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

Why do people always make changes like this to be more important then things in the core game? It seems kind of like an entitled attitude and nitpicking at this point.

I’m pretty sure no one said this needs to be fixed right away, before any other issues are addressed. They’re just making a suggestion.

Posted by: Ryou.2398

Ryou.2398

I’m pretty sure no one said this needs to be fixed right away, before any other issues are addressed. They’re just making a suggestion.

But the problem is people make these kinds of suggestions over everything else they hardly ever talk about the real issues.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Annoying to use, annoying to see, annoying to hear.

Please fix!

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I seldom use large numbers of the tomes in a row as I prefer manually leveling to give me projects in game and to get to know the character for any RP use. But when I do, I go well away from the crafting stations and banks. Given how much the light show wrecks my train of thought, I see no reason to inflict that on others. (If I’m only using 1-3 things that give the burst, like recipes, I figure it’s endurable, nor do I kvetch if someone else lets off a burst or two near me. Only when it stretches out a long time does it become truly annoying).

I can see some technical issues with making a way to consolidate the level-up tomes into single-use batches. Mostly having to do with how the level rewards are assigned; while the reward chests do stack when you ding one after another, I don’t think you get the per-level rewards for the lumps of 20, 30, 40, or 80 levels. Not that those really are needed, I just think maybe coding different behavior could be trickier than it sounds.

Posted by: penelopehannibal.8947

penelopehannibal.8947

It seems kind of like an entitled attitude and nitpicking at this point.

It seems to me you’ve seen someone else on the internet use the term ‘entitled’ and it sounded good, and you’ve been looking for the opportunity to use the term yourself. Nothing wrong with that, except that you need to know what it really means.

The OP isn’t asking for something in an entitled manner. An entitled manner would be “I’ve played 2,000 hours and I still haven’t had a precursor!” or perhaps “Give those players who have earned 30K+ AP a free Legendary Weapon!”

They’ve simply seen something that can be improved upon, and are merely making a suggestion that would benefit all, not the few!

Blood & Merlot [Wine]

Djinn.9245

I seldom use large numbers of the tomes in a row as I prefer manually leveling to give me projects in game and to get to know the character for any RP use. But when I do, I go well away from the crafting stations and banks. Given how much the light show wrecks my train of thought, I see no reason to inflict that on others. (If I’m only using 1-3 things that give the burst, like recipes, I figure it’s endurable, nor do I kvetch if someone else lets off a burst or two near me. Only when it stretches out a long time does it become truly annoying).

I can see some technical issues with making a way to consolidate the level-up tomes into single-use batches. Mostly having to do with how the level rewards are assigned; while the reward chests do stack when you ding one after another, I don’t think you get the per-level rewards for the lumps of 20, 30, 40, or 80 levels. Not that those really are needed, I just think maybe coding different behavior could be trickier than it sounds.

When I’ve seen people use around 20 Tomes, it seems to go as fast as they are able to click. I’m not sure what happens to the level rewards in that situation, but if Anet can make a Level 80 item, they can make Tomes have a variable “consume all” where you choose how many you want to consume and it simply makes your character that new level.

And because there are people actually like spamming noise / light things, please just remove the noise / light from Tomes altogether. Donari also mentioned Recipes and IMO you can remove it from those also.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

This thread discussion annoyed my ocd.

Correction: Tomes don’t have a noise or visual. The lightshow comes from leveling up and occurs regardless of what causes you to level up.

What this thread is asking is for the leveling up visual and noise to be muted.

Also guys stop overthinking it. the simple solution is to just make the level up effect client only, and not render for nearby players.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: Crysto.7089

Crysto.7089

I’m curious how some of you make it through a day.

#1 Commander/Player NA: Promotions

Djinn.9245

Correction: Tomes don’t have a noise or visual. The lightshow comes from leveling up and occurs regardless of what causes you to level up.

Also guys stop overthinking it. the simple solution is to just make the level up effect client only, and not render for nearby players.

Technically true, and that is a good solution also except for people who might not want to experience large numbers of level-up effects themselves.

I still think the best solution is to simply skip the level-up effect when using a Tome.

(edited by Djinn.9245)

Posted by: Crinn.7864

Crinn.7864

I still think the best solution is to simply skip the level-up effect when using a Tome.

Which probably isn’t going to happen for technical reasons. I doubt the scripts actually track what causes a level up.

Sanity is for the weak minded.
YouTube

Posted by: Galespark.7835

Galespark.7835

As I remember levelling up also causes an aoe knockback around the player (there used to be a vid of someone levelling people off a cliff in WvW, but that was ages ago), which might be even more confusing without the visual. Not that I really mind either way.