Option to unlock near full map completion.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Revan.2015

Revan.2015

So PoF is releasing in about a month and new elite specs are coming. With the way the elite specs are introduced and how it changes each class it made me realize that as the game evolves and new expansions come out with new content. Each class may get that specialization that plays just the way you as a player want it to play. For me I had my eyes set on the Spellbreaker and Scourge, but settled on leveling a new necro by the time PoF comes out (way too many warriors for my liking to start one as well).

The issue is, clearing the map for the 4th time is excruciatingly mind-numbing. Some people enjoy it and I did too the first two times I did it (guard then rev). By the 3rd time (engi) I almost couldn’t do it, but not having the map completed irritated me to no end that I ended up grinding away at it on my engi.

What I’m trying to get at is what if there was an option to unlock the core map completion after meeting a set requirement. Maybe something like this:

1. You need to have already completed it with 2-3 other characters.
2. Before unlocking it on the character they need to be lvl 80.
3. It only unlocks the core game zones. Or it only unlocks the core non-lvl-80 zones.
4. This is optional if the requirements are met, but doing so removes all potential rewards that would have been earned from completing each zone along with not receiving the 2 gifts of exploration.
5. Only unlocks the map, the story must still be followed in order.

As expansions and living stories come they will expand the map open new zones continually. This means that as the game grows the amount of time investing in exploring the map increases.

Not everyone has all professions to 80 and some may want to reroll for a race change or because the new e-spec that you happen to drool over that was introduced is for a profession you currently don’t have.

Just a thought

Posted by: FogLeg.9354

FogLeg.9354

Is there a reason to complete core maps? Sure it irritates you, but having map completed has no real value.

Posted by: Faaris.8013

Faaris.8013

Is there a reason to complete core maps? Sure it irritates you, but having map completed has no real value.

Only real value that comes to my mind is the 2 Gifts of Exploration you get for completing, and you need one of those to craft a legendary weapon. The items you get per map completion are nice, but not game breaking.

Herleve – Ruins of Surmia

Posted by: zealex.9410

zealex.9410

You can get enough hero points from just lvling for the core soecs and trait lines. And the Expansion maps are enough to unlock you the elite spec line. So no i dont believe its a good idea to be able to skip the whole journey to get to the destination. Something that from anet’s comments they seem to agree with.

Posted by: Millssta.9064

Millssta.9064

Here’s my 2cents; after gaining core game and hot completion 5 times! Incl story, it would be nice to be able to use those gifts of exploration to complete the map on my other toons.

Consider it an alt way of spending unused gifts of exploration, ofcourse surrendering the ability to claim any rewards from completion.

I Don’t Main, 100% Alt

Posted by: Revan.2015

Revan.2015

Completing the map has nothing to do with the elite specs and leveling. It’s one of those things that some people don’t care for and some do.

I fall in the group of people who feel the need to complete the map regardless of the 2 gifts and rewards. Be it due to being a completionist or some one like myself who can’t stand being playing a lvl 80 toon that doesn’t have all zones cleared.

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

Yeah, the only correlation between map completion and especs is the access to hero points. And with the low hanging fruit in WvW’s reward system, you can get enough proof heroics to unlock all the hero points in a content block for relatively low effort, and moderate time investment. Theres around 215 HPs in Core (split between the maps and WvW), and another 400 on HOT. You get them from Rank chests and skirmish chests, avg 6 proofs each. Takes about 30-40 min per skirmish chest, and you can easily get 1-2 Rank chests per hour for Ktrains, and double to triple that if theres a zerg fight.

Spend a solid weekend in WvW, and you should have no trouble outfitting on Espec. No mastery points required.