Origin of the Giant Charr?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Takireo.8329

Takireo.8329

Q:

Namely the Molten Berserker.
Let’s talk about this guy. He is a Charr that has to be close to 20 feet tall!

I’m curious about how the Flame legion/Molten Alliance got a Charr to grow that big. Now, if I’m missing something really obvious that was mentioned in Living World or the Fractal then apologies.

Other wise, what’s your theory?
Have they been feeding him protein shakes and sending him to Terry Crews for a daily workout since birth!? Maybe he ate his freaking’ Warband.

Or do the Charr just get that big sometimes? Every one in a million perhaps. If that’s the case, can there be more?

And, Anet, please give us a 20 foot tall Charr NPC that’s on our side and surprisingly friendly.

Attachments:

Posted by: Haleydawn.3764

Haleydawn.3764

A:

Most Fractals aren’t an alternate reality, they’re based on what has actually happened in Tyria.

The Molten Berserker and Firestorm was a Flame Legion Magic cross Dredge technology accident which resulted in what we see today. They were trying to create powerful weaponry, at the cost/risk of life it seems.

The original living story dungeon (which was butchered to then give two fractals, The Molten Facility and The Molten Duo Boss.) can be read about here.

(The original boss fight was far harder than the fractal bosses.)

Kitten.

(edited by Haleydawn.3764)

Posted by: abaddon.3290

abaddon.3290

i mean its a fractal. so its all made up for training purposes right?

im bad at sarcasm

Posted by: Tom.8029

Tom.8029

The Fractals of the Mists basically provides a basis for players to go back in time and experience passed events. So it’s based on an actual experience, as in, this really happened. Of course the instabilities that occur did not, as those are a result of the actual Mists having an impact on the experience. But the giant Charr really existed. Although, I’m not sure of its origin. Maybe the Dredge’s technology could have impacted this Charr in some way that caused it to grow, as well as an advancement in Flame Legion magic.

Primordial Dragons [Drgn]
Fort Aspenwood Elementalist

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

i mean its a fractal. so its all made up for training purposes right?

Fractals aren’t training grounds though.

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

There was a Dredge Invasion Years ago when they first released Azurite Orbs, it was a dungeon that manifested itself in Wayfairer Foothills or something, the Norn starting Area. (pretty sure it was the very first Living story episode when they first released thier black lion weapons too, fused skins)

There was a story in that Dungeon that explained it, I just can’t remember it all that well, something to do with freak accident/magic while working on some weapon/machine that was meant to destroy Tyria. most people were there to farm Sentinel gear so lots of cut scenes skipped. (atleast me and my WvW guild was at the time)

Very long time ago, memory not what it used to be.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

(edited by sephiroth.4217)

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

Its just larger because its a legendary. Same reason for all Legends/Champs/Veterans/Elites that display abnormal size for characters that should and can not reach that size by natural growth for example champion/legendary Bandits that are randomly larger than max size Norn. Sorry, there is likely no reason other than that for its size.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I always assumed it was a construct, and it was just made to look like a charr because it was built by them.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Tom.8029

Tom.8029

Looking at the picture again, you can see on its hands and feet partial metal additions. So it’s safe to say atleast some of its height has been augmented by Dredge technology. While I do totally agree with it being larger because its a legendary enemy, I feel like that’s silly, although definitely partially the reason. So I’m going to say it’s been manipulated by Flame Legion magic.

Primordial Dragons [Drgn]
Fort Aspenwood Elementalist

Posted by: Lord Aargadon.4135

Lord Aargadon.4135

I definitely agree that there is potential for some growth via magical means, I highly doubt this is the case. It is just over the top giant because its an over the top fight. It’d be lame if this guy was normal or even half his size.

Most Flame Legion that are vet+ rank are hardly any larger than normal Flame Legion nor is it likely that’s due to their magic. Their augmenting typically just involves twisting flesh into fire/flesh meshes.

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

I’m curious about how the Flame legion/Molten Alliance got a Charr to grow that big. Now, if I’m missing something really obvious that was mentioned in Living World or the Fractal then apologies.

Have they been feeding him protein shakes and sending him to Terry Crews for a daily workout since birth!? Maybe he ate his freaking’ Warband.

Or do the Charr just get that big sometimes? Every one in a million perhaps. If that’s the case, can there be more?

And, Anet, please give us a 20 foot tall Charr NPC that’s on our side and surprisingly friendly.

Fractals are alternate realities of tyria so there could be a ton of explanations.

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Fractals are alternate realities of tyria so there could be a ton of explanations.

This one is not an alternate version. These appeared as the bosses of the Molten Dungeon during LS1 and appear in the fractals in their original form.

I think their appearance is partly explained in the dungeon , but I’m not 100% on that. If I remember rightly, it’s alluded to that they they are the product of unique experimentation and their size, abilities and form are a direct result of that.

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

He’s pumped full of magic spells, tech and alchemy.

One of them is making him that big.

Ogres seem to be the experts in ‘buffing up’ magic that increases size.
https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Growth_Tonic

Most of those NPCs that are way larger than normal likely used something similar.

A few are just really, really tall, like Turai Ossa, who was so large he could stomp the ground like a giant.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Harak.8397

Harak.8397

A giant Charr has you wondering but what about the giant Dredge that was with him ?

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Scarlet obviously actually had somekinda drug or magic-tech that buffed up herself to a larger size and made herself stronger. Reverse effect of the Engi shrinking elixir. :P
She probably used that to make the Charr bigger and stronger. In reality though she had it to make her easier to see in the player zerg.

basically this was the power Scarlet got ahold of. o3o

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

it’s a robot Charr… not a true Charr…. must have been a dredge invention….

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: FrostSpectre.4198

FrostSpectre.4198

What happens when you use all possible ways to increase size: growth hormones, magic and so on.

I’m a casual PvE adventurer, I enjoy combat, adventure and helping, but not farming.
I rarely do PvP or Hard PvE, unless it’s organized.

Posted by: Takireo.8329

Takireo.8329

Most Fractals aren’t an alternate reality, they’re based on what has actually happened in Tyria.

The Molten Berserker and Firestorm was a Flame Legion Magic cross Dredge technology accident which resulted in what we see today. They were trying to create powerful weaponry, at the cost/risk of life it seems.

The original living story dungeon (which was butchered to then give two fractals, The Molten Facility and The Molten Duo Boss.) can be read about here.

(The original boss fight was far harder than the fractal bosses.)

Thanks! That answered it perfectly.
I really hope they bring living world 1 back so we can get more details this, plus all the other little bits that we’ve probably missed.