Other good/better Megaserver-Implementations?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Zok.4956

Zok.4956

Hi,

with the recent changes in GW2 to the megaserver-system and the problems that it caused a lot of players of GW2 I am wondering if there are other megaserver-implementations in other games out there that do not have these problems and do it “better” in some way.

I know that (T)ESO promotes megaserver, but that seems not to be a good example because their megaserver und phasing technology seems to make it worse than in GW2.

One other example comes to my mind: GW1. It does not call it “megaserver” but the districts of GW1 have some similarities to megaserver maps. What GW1 does “better” is that players can choose which version of a map they want to join (so some kind of “manual overide” of megerserver-algorithm). I think this “manual override” of map-choice could be a good thing for GW2.

Do you know of other megaserver-implementions?

P.S. Please do not make this a big discussion about “other games” but a discussion of GW2 and how it can be improved by ideas that have shown that they work in other games.

thanks and greetings.

Posted by: KohakuShirogane.2753

KohakuShirogane.2753

As today, I think Guild Wars 1 have one of the best Megaserver-style implementations for a MMO. I really don’t know why Anet didn’t decided to use the same server architecture for Guild Wars 2. Selecting server upon character creation feels so way outdated for 2014.

And if you ask me apart from GW1, EVE Online/Perpetuum Online single-shard style gets the first prize. Expensive hardware though, but amazing. Of course, that kind of servers fits hardly for a MMO with the style of Guild Wars 2, TESO or WoW. They would have to tweak and adjust a lot of things to dynamically adapt to a given influx of players per zone.

But yes, the way to go is to follow the first Guild Wars steps, beceause this is it sequel.

Posted by: Halvorn.9831

Halvorn.9831

As today, I think Guild Wars 1 have one of the best Megaserver-style implementations for a MMO. I really don’t know why Anet didn’t decided to use the same server architecture for Guild Wars 2. Selecting server upon character creation feels so way outdated for 2014.

And if you ask me apart from GW1, EVE Online/Perpetuum Online single-shard style gets the first prize. Expensive hardware though, but amazing. Of course, that kind of servers fits hardly for a MMO with the style of Guild Wars 2, TESO or WoW. They would have to tweak and adjust a lot of things to dynamically adapt to a given influx of players per zone.

But yes, the way to go is to follow the first Guild Wars steps, beceause this is it sequel.

a) You need servers since they are the factions fighting each other in “classic” WvW. I still think this is a good concept, since it builds up a “home” feeling that other concepts lack.

b) The district system in GW1 is different since in GW1 no open world exists, it is always instanced for your group. Districts are only available in hub towns. So in GW1 no server communities have evolved, since there are no open world events that need large group coordination anyways. This is different in GW2. You do need large group coordination (but the tools to do so have been taken away mostly, because there are no server maps anymore, just overflows).

Posted by: Nage.1520

Nage.1520

While you could join on any server in Guild Wars 1, it was still true that if a server was full you couldn’t join it.

So in Guild Wars 2, the only real reason to join another server is to be with someone you want to be with. If they’re in a party with you you can join on them and switch servers. Unless of course that server is full.

The same restriction applied to Guild Wars 1 though. Many times I wanted to get into the Kamadan District 1 to sell but it was full.