Our Guild Stash has been emptied

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Cassius.4831

Cassius.4831

A player has stolen every item in our guild stash and he has left our guild after that. Is there anything we can do to recover all our stash?

It wasn’t a very good stash (yellow 40-45 lvl items primarily), but it was our resource for new guild members.

On the other hand, I think guild should be allowed to control the number of items each player can get each day.

P.S.: Of course, although I know his name, I’m not going to put it here.
P.S.: Sorry for my english.

“Guild wars is for everybody, freedom is ascended, zerg is strength”
~ G. Orrwell, great shaman of the new flame legion, 1984 AE.

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

A player has stolen every item in our guild stash and he has left our guild after that. Is there anything we can do to recover all our stash?

It wasn’t a very good stash (yellow 40-45 lvl items primarily), but it was our resource for new guild members.

On the other hand, I think guild should be allowed to control the number of items each player can get each day.

You can report it but nothing will happen. Next time set it to where only officers can use the guild bank and have to pull items out by request. Problem solved

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: Escthiil.3210

Escthiil.3210

Posted by: AntiGw.9367

AntiGw.9367

Maybe this is related?

Help needed: My friend just scammed a guild

edit: ninja’d

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

There are 2 separate guild banks with separate access if I recall correctly. Allow everyone access to the “public” guild stash and only trusted members to the main guild bank. When people need things, they ask a trusted member to put it in the public stash. When people find things that can be used (such as low level yellows) they just put them in the public area and notify a trusted member to move it to the stash.

Of course there will still be jerks. But there’s little you can do except kick them out of the guild.

Posted by: PearlGore.7419

PearlGore.7419

Very sad to hear, but Your fault.

Posted by: alcopaul.2156

alcopaul.2156

Behaving well in MMORPGs is a must these days. Not only that you will be ostracized by the game’s community, also it has repercussions on your real life as well if you say empty the bank or scam someone from your guild. It’s easy to investigate now a player’s facebook, twitter and other social media.

So be good and don’t be an kitten.

(edited by alcopaul.2156)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

If the guy that jacked the bank was playing a Thief then he could claim role-playing.

I don’t think reporting it will get very far when it probably went something like this:

“Hey welcome to our guild. Here is our guild bank if you need something.”

“Thanks! Hey, I just noticed I need all of it because I need more money. Appreciate it guys. Oh and I decided I don’t like your guild anymore. You don’t have enough in your guild bank. Later.”

Still sucks but I suppose the guild has learned something new about game play. Heck, I rip myself off all the time buying the wrong stuff, way pointing to the wrong place and the list goes on. Each time I learn something new about what not to do.

The Burninator

Posted by: Sovta.4719

Sovta.4719

Can i have your…..oh you don’t have any anymore…

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Report it. No idea what stance arenanet will take but worth reporting anyway so they can track how common (if at all) this issue is.

Also given the security tools on guild vaults I recommend changing how you use them. Our guild vault is only used for cooked food, so that if someone did take it all, it’d probably be worth less than 5-silver for the whole thing…

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

Definitely report the person. You will be unlikely to get anything back, but Anet will undoubtedly respond to a pattern of abuse like this—you may save someone else a similar fate.

Also, it is a good idea to have an officer be the gate for items of any value. It doesn’t prevent you from a rogue officer, but it is one more level of security.

Posted by: Krosslite.1950

Krosslite.1950

never let a noob have access to any banking.

You can make a rank and make so all it can is allow them to show the guild tag

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: ThrottleFox.2735

ThrottleFox.2735

Steal? if said person had access they didn’t “steal” anything, they have access meaning they are aloud to take it and that’s what happened, morally they shouldn’t have but this is the internet, it will happen,

I personally follow the rule “Do not trust someone who isn’t in punching distance” so if they rip you off you can well…uess the rest

Posted by: Parlourbeatflex.5970

Parlourbeatflex.5970

We got ripped off about a month ago. Around 400g and another 200g worth in items.

Guild functions should really be better than they are now… People have been screaming this for far too long. Simple things including proper bank control. Its all good saying, you should trust him and her etc, but really, theres only a few people a guild leader truly trusts and theres alot more people demanding bank access due to deposits..
Now of course you need to filter these players properly. While im not saying you cannot do this on guild wars 2, the fact you can give quantity permissions in other mmos remains to be the best tool for filtering players futher – Ie, helping the players as much as possible.

But anyway, our guild now keeps all the screenshots from that day to laugh about in private forums, because some of the dicussions via whisper with the guy are kittening hilarious.

JustTrogdor.7892

I agree what happened wasn’t cool of the “offender” to do. However, I see a couple of problems on the other end. It seems like the member screening process wasn’t done well enough. I know a lot of guilds will take just about anyone that asks just to have numbers. However this is when guilds get in trouble and end up with a lot of bad personalities in the guild. One of the things I look for in a guild is how well they “interview” me because this is usually an indicator that they run a pretty tight guild that is well organized.

Secondly, as stated don’t give just anyone the keys to your house and then act shocked when you come home and all your stuff is gone.

I don’t get all the people saying report!! report!! This isn’t Happy Tree Friends MMO there are going to be some, well a lot, of people that just are not very nice. It seems like every time someone mentions someone else doing anything even slightly unfriendly the report! flags start going up.

Just red flag the guy and try to spread the word among other guilds that the guy is trouble and to stay away from him. Of course you might need to be careful with this too because he could always say you are trying to grief him by trying to trash his name. Report!!

The Burninator

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Wow some of this community is… sorry to hear your issues send a report and their name, i guess if they do it a lot and many reports get forwarded they may get banned..

Posted by: ThrottleFox.2735

ThrottleFox.2735

Wow some of this community is… sorry to hear your issues send a report and their name, i guess if they do it a lot and many reports get forwarded they may get banned..

Banned for what? the guy had access to the bank, you can change the access rights, in theory he had rights to take them so he did. If they didn’t want him to take it don’t give him access, this falls back on the owners not setting it up right. It does suck that it happened but its a lesson and they learned the hard way

Cassius.4831

Thanks for all the answers. Fortunately, as I said, Guild Stash wasn’t filled with expensive items (Almost all of them were yellow items for low level players. Other items were saved in the second stash – only allowed to leaders, of course -)

I wasn’t sure about reporting it, but the fact that it could help another guild is enough for me.

Steal? if said person had access they didn’t “steal” anything, they have access meaning they are aloud to take it and that’s what happened, morally they shouldn’t have but this is the internet, it will happen

Well, that’s an interesting point of view. Have you ever tried to “get” an apple from a grocery? They are… there, for us :P

alcopaul.2156

One solution to this is to keep track of the gamer tags of those who withdrew from your guild bank even that person already left.

Krosslite.1950

To me I feel this is a guild management problem.

As I stated above new folks should never have access to the stash.

Also there should be consequences. Yes this is a game and yes these items really don’t exist, but it boils down to respect.

The real world has lost too much due to respect not being made as important as it should be.

Having someone come into your guild’s stash and taking everything from it is just a symptom.

I live by the motto: Do unto others as you would have other do unto you. Simply if you wish to be treated nicely you must treat everyone nicely yourself.

I also believe that what comes goes around comes around. People’s actions even though they may be in a game affect other people.

The game is just a medium that real live people meet in and share. All must respect and try to help out each other.

If your goal is to hurt, steal, harass, or insult in due time, most likely in real live something really bad will happen to you.

Warriors are those who choose to stand between their enemy and all that he loves or hold sacred

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

Anet will action this player if you report him, so definitely do that. That said, they cannot and will not restore your guild bank’s contents after the fact, so hopefully this has been a good lesson to you as to who you should trust.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

for all those bent on victim blaming.. this is like a scam or fraud, while the victim certainly allowed it to happen through lax security practices, it’s still the direct result of someone taking malicious action against them.

just because someone “fell for it” doesn’t absolve the scammer of what they did.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

I’m sorry to hear about your loss, but this is a tough lesson to learn. I had to learn it on other MMO’s. How many rares were stolen? I’d like to donate a couple or some gold if it would help.

Posted by: Ridley.3691

Ridley.3691

It was a really mean thing to do, and I’m not defending the person who did at all, but you can’t report them since they didn’t break any rules. Guild Stash management is wholly the responsibility of the players, ANet has stated their stance on it in the past. If you gave someone access to the guild stash and they took everything, they’ve technically not broken any rules since you -did- give them access to it.

Cassius.4831

I’m sorry to hear about your loss, but this is a tough lesson to learn. I had to learn it on other MMO’s. How many rares were stolen? I’d like to donate a couple or some gold if it would help.

Thanks for your offer, but it’s not needed! We can fix it, as I said it wasn’t a very good Guild Stash (rares were low level items)

But thank you anyway

alcopaul.2156

It was a really mean thing to do, and I’m not defending the person who did at all, but you can’t report them since they didn’t break any rules. Guild Stash management is wholly the responsibility of the players, ANet has stated their stance on it in the past. If you gave someone access to the guild stash and they took everything, they’ve technically not broken any rules since you -did- give them access to it.

Wat?

You are NOT EXPECTED TAKE ALL OF THE CONTENTS even if you have access to it.

Another thing to solve this is if you TAKE things from Guild Stash, you won’t be able to leave the guild for 1 week.

Posted by: stale.9785

stale.9785

Wat?

You are NOT EXPECTED TAKE ALL OF THE CONTENTS even if you have access to it.

Another thing to solve this is if you TAKE things from Guild Stash, you won’t be able to leave the guild for 1 week.

I like that last bit.

JustTrogdor.7892

That wouldn’t necessarily stop what happened to the OP. So the guy loots the bank, turns off guild chat or representation, joins another guild since you can be in more than one at a time or whatever and goes about his business.

The Burninator

alcopaul.2156

That wouldn’t necessarily stop what happened to the OP. So the guy loots the bank, turns off guild chat or representation, joins another guild since you can be in more than one at a time or whatever and goes about his business.

at least you can remember his gamer tag and deal with him using his tag accordingly.

don’t underestimate the power of social media. (i.e. someone setting up a website called “GW2’s Wall of Shame” where guild leaders can check the “reputation” of their incoming new members)

or you can civilly talk to the guy to give back all what he’s taken. this option is better imo.

JustTrogdor.7892

at least you can remember his gamer tag and deal with him using his tag accordingly.

don’t underestimate the power of social media.

I would like to think that if you let them into the guild to start with and allow access to the guild bank then you should have already made note of his gamer tag.

And as for the social media thing I have seen mentioned a few times related to this topic, that is opening a whole other can of worms and is somewhat hypocritical. I mean if you allow someone into your guild with an open bank and they take the items and you start cyber stalking/bullying them you may be setting yourself up for your own problems. Plus so many people in this thread keep talking about how important it is to be nice to each other and be a good member of society. Doesn’t that include two wrongs don’t make a right?

Edit: I see you edited since I quoted you. That makes more sense to have a website to some degree but that could cause innocent people grief too. Someone doesn’t like them for some reason so they go to said website and trash their name. There would be no real way to verify what the person in question did since chat logs, screen caps and so forth can be faked easily.

I do agree strongly with your last statement. Try to talk to the guy and if no luck move on.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

alcopaul.2156

I would like to think that if you let them into the guild to start with and allow access to the guild bank then you should have already made note of his gamer tag.

And as for the social media thing I have seen mentioned a few times related to this topic, that is opening a whole other can of worms and is somewhat hypocritical. I mean if you allow someone into your guild with an open bank and they take the items and you start cyber stalking/bullying them you may be setting yourself up for your own problems. Plus so many people in this thread keep talking about how important it is to be nice to each other and be a good member of society. Doesn’t that include two wrongs don’t make a right?

but allowing him not to leave as soon as he takes everything from the stash makes a room for diplomacy. You can still talk to him by noting his tag and his whereabouts. this also prevents from making a mistake pinpointing who took what say if another member decides to leave for whatever reason the guild the same time that the looting and leaving happened.

the shaming is just a deterrent. a warning. that if you misbehave, there will be consequences.

alcopaul.2156

Edit: I see you edited since I quoted you. That makes more sense to have a website to some degree but that could cause innocent people grief too. Someone doesn’t like them for some reason so they go to said website and trash their name. There would be no real way to verify what the person in question did since chat logs, screen caps and so forth can be faked easily.

This website or group could employ the photoshop experts to screen and detect fakery.

Posted by: Kasenai.9418

Kasenai.9418

I couldn’t disagree more with the people in here screaming to report. If a guild leader makes the mistake to trust someone who shouldn’t be trusted then that mistake is on him or her. ANet should not be involved in player interaction unless absolutely necessary.

Reporting trivial nonsense like this means that more severe issues that need the attention of the GM staff will suffer delays.

kitten happens, guys. Own up to making a bad decision and move on a little wiser instead of crying to the GMs.

- En svensk tiger.

JustTrogdor.7892

but allowing him not to leave as soon as he takes everything from the stash makes a room for diplomacy. You can still talk to him by noting his tag and his whereabouts. this also prevents from making a mistake pinpointing who took what say if another member decides to leave for whatever reason the guild the same time that the looting and leaving happened.

the shaming is just a deterrent. a warning. that if you misbehave, there will be consequences.

So what happens if you join a guild and take an item they offered then the guild starts giving you a hard time, within ToS, and you want to leave? You are stuck.

Of course a guild could do the reverse and say require the guild member to donate two items of a lower level to get a higher spec item and then kick them after the donation and not give them the item they wanted. The same thing would happen to the guild at some point and people would learn not to join them.

I don’t know, I guess I don’t like the idea of rule upon rule added just because someone took advantage of a guild that was a bit too open with their guild bank. There are already a ton that in my opinion are a little too strict.

The Burninator

JustTrogdor.7892

This website or group could employ the photoshop experts to screen and detect fakery.

I had to pause for a second before I responded so as to not come off as a kitten. Who’s going to pay for these people? It would take more than one if the site was the least bit popular. Secondly it would have to be a really good expert. So okay let’s hire some photoshop experts and increase the price of gems to pay for the extra cost. Is that something you are willing to see happen because someone wasn’t nice to their guild?

If it is a 3rd party website are you willing to pay to view the site and be active on it to pay for your photoshop expert?

The Burninator

alcopaul.2156

So what happens if you join a guild and take an item they offered then the guild starts giving you a hard time, within ToS, and you want to leave? You are stuck.

just return the item that you took? it’s that easy.

they will most probably be mean to you if you take ALL of the items in the stash, no?

and you won’t be stuck. you only need to wait 1 week.

and no one won’t be an kitten to you if you didn’t do anything wrong to them.

alcopaul.2156

I had to pause for a second before I responded so as to not come off as a kitten. Who’s going to pay for these people? It would take more than one if the site was the least bit popular. Secondly it would have to be a really good expert. So okay let’s hire some photoshop experts and increase the price of gems to pay for the extra cost. Is that something you are willing to see happen because someone wasn’t nice to their guild?

If it is a 3rd party website are you willing to pay to view the site and be active on it to pay for your photoshop expert?

they could be volunteers. or actually paid by an in game gold ration.

pretty sure there are image enthusiasts playing the game too.

it won’t be effective if it’s a pay per view site. the ideal is to do the gw2lfg.com format for it will be accessible to all.

EDIT: But yeah, this could backfire coz there might be trolling that can go on. Better if actually A.NET do it for they know and control everything that goes on. But I doubt that will happen. I always believe in a diplomatic talk and if it fails, moving on and just be careful next time. But for sure the idea will help a lot, policing the community and giving a good “background check” for guild leaders.

JustTrogdor.7892

I’m sorry but in my opinion if Anet has to incorporate some new rule every time someone got their feelings hurt because someone did something they didn’t like then there would be so many rules all you could do is walk around the map at some point. I feel like with some of the name issues and other things I have read that it is already a bit too strict.

They incorporate a lot of banned words in names and such to help avoid people from getting their feelings hurt or to avoid controversial issues such as religion. What about alcoholics that play the game and the in game alcohol? What if they drink some in game alcohol and then that triggers them to get loaded in real life. Should they remove alcohol from the game?

What about people that love bunnies. Maybe their feelings get hurt when they see another player kill a helpless rabbit. Let’s remove rabbits from the game too. The list could go on forever.

I am certain that when the guild bank system was developed it was apparent that someone could indeed join a guild and loot it if it was a wide open bank. Obviously they don’t see it as a problem or they would have done something to eliminate that risk to start with.

The Burninator

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

There is no reason to enact a rule which states removing a certain number of items from a guild bank causes the person to be required to stay in said guild. All guild deposits and withdrawals are noted in the guild bank archive. It shows the users’ display or character name right there. If it is a matter of knowing where they are, which I don’t know why you would need to, just add their name from the log to your friends’ list. If they have blocked you, I am not sure it would matter if they were in or out of your guild.

(edited by Inculpatus cedo.9234)

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

If we had better guild tools i’m sure most of these things would never happen…

Krosslite.1950

I’m sorry but in my opinion if Anet has to incorporate some new rule every time someone got their feelings hurt because someone did something they didn’t like then there would be so many rules all you could do is walk around the map at some point. I feel like with some of the name issues and other things I have read that it is already a bit too strict.

They incorporate a lot of banned words in names and such to help avoid people from getting their feelings hurt or to avoid controversial issues such as religion. What about alcoholics that play the game and the in game alcohol? What if they drink some in game alcohol and then that triggers them to get loaded in real life. Should they remove alcohol from the game?

What about people that love bunnies. Maybe their feelings get hurt when they see another player kill a helpless rabbit. Let’s remove rabbits from the game too. The list could go on forever.

I am certain that when the guild bank system was developed it was apparent that someone could indeed join a guild and loot it if it was a wide open bank. Obviously they don’t see it as a problem or they would have done something to eliminate that risk to start with.

These are all the rules we have to follow:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/

I couldn’t see anything about draining a bank dry

JustTrogdor.7892

These are all the rules we have to follow:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-rules-of-conduct/

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/legal/guild-wars-2-user-agreement/

I couldn’t see anything about draining a bank dry

Don ‘t quote me LOL. I’ve been on the “it’s not technically” a violation side of the debate all along. I don’t agree with all the people with their pitchforks screaming “Get him! Report him!”

Anyway this whole topic is getting a bit strung out since the OP pretty much said that although it sucked he learned a lesson and will move on. The only thing left for this thread to accomplish is to educate other guilds that might have an open door bank policy as well.

The Burninator

Krosslite.1950

hehe … your post just fit in right with placing what the rules are is all… i know where you have been standing

Posted by: Megosh.6354

Megosh.6354

This happened to us as well. We are a reputable guild with a thorough application process, but the account of one of our members was compromised a few weeks ago. The person who compromised his account wiped out the public stash completely. We had always known that this could potentially happen, but the other officers and I (the guild leader) decided it was best to have at least one public window that anyone could use for potions, sigils, food, etc. However, the person got away with literally thousands of these items, as we had stacks of more than 100 of some items. All that adds up.

The issue here is that it could happen to anybody, and no trusting guild with a healthy player base wants to limit all item withdrawals to officers only. The devs should implement a feature that would allow us to set a limit on the number of items that guild members can withdraw each day: 5 withdrawals per day, for example. That could help solve the problem.

Can’t touch my shiny!

(edited by Megosh.6354)

Posted by: Theftwind.8976

Theftwind.8976

This has gone on in any game I have ever played that had guild vaults. I have long proposed the idea of a merit type system where the more value people place into a shared vault the more they are allowed to remove from the vault. In that way one person could never empty out a guild vault unless they are the ones that put every last item into it. Guild officers would be exempt from the merit system so they could assist new members from the guild stash.

Theftwind (HoD)

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

Very sad to hear, but Your fault.

No. It is never, ever, the victim’s fault. The fault lies with the player who took unfair advantage of the guild’s offering. The OP runs his guild bank to have things easily available to new members and people leveling alts, which is a perfectly reasonable thing to do. To have one person take everything isn’t reasonable, and it IS griefing.

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

JustTrogdor.7892

Not this again.. Everyone grab your pitch forks and torches for the “Ban him!” shout.

Having an account compromised is a completely different situation that taking someone into your guild and giving him the key to the vault.

Sure allowing limited withdrawals would minimize the damages. However the underlying problem is letting someone into your guild and giving them the keys to the bank.

If say you took someone in to the guild and your limit was 5 withdrawals a day and they took the 5 most valuable items in there that they didn’t need and sold them people would still be shouting Ban or that’s not fair. The only way to eliminate that same problem, although on a lower scale, would be to have trusted guild members that could divvy out the goods on an as needed basis.

Having an account compromised is a completely different situation than allowing someone to use your bank without restrictions.

The Burninator

Posted by: Aeonblade.8709

Aeonblade.8709

This has gone on in any game I have ever played that had guild vaults. I have long proposed the idea of a merit type system where the more value people place into a shared vault the more they are allowed to remove from the vault. In that way one person could never empty out a guild vault unless they are the ones that put every last item into it. Guild officers would be exempt from the merit system so they could assist new members from the guild stash.

You should make a separate post in the suggestions forum with this idea, it’s awesome.

Anarai Aeonblade [GASM] – Guardian – DB
RIP my fair Engi and Ranger, you will be missed.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

Did he break into the guild bank through hacking? No? Did he use an exploit to gain access? No?

Sounds like you gave him permission and he did exactly what you told him he could do and now you are complaining about it.

I would suggest increasing your screening process, and not giving access to the bank for members <2 months in the guild. Time to take some responsibility for your actions.

Posted by: Shufflepants.9785

Shufflepants.9785

Congratulations on your new found plethora of freed up storage space!