Outfit Bundles... Please Split them up.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Oldthrashbar.6894

Oldthrashbar.6894

How about the real question. Where are new armor SKINS? I don’t care about issues of clipping or even having to make a set for every armor weight. You don’t have to care about that. We don’t. There are quite a few items in the game already that clip with everything. Boots and hats mainly. Player preference whether they care about their items clipping. Unless for some reason it causes massive performance decreases. Which I doubt. Please release outfits as skins. I like to play dress up with my character. And I see a lot of good pieces I can use for it. But they’re locked in the kitten outfits. Most of which as a whole look pretty goofy. Like the new one though. Stepping away from skirts and trench coats for a change. Also covers up some skin. But I’m rambling. Bye

Posted by: jagabs.5086

jagabs.5086

I really wouldn’t mind buying the bundle if the included outfit is nice like the crystal one. But this time the outfit is very underwhelming.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

Agreed. I would buy the glider, I will not buy the bundle.

Also, I will never buy an Outfit, no matter how cool it may look. If I can’t mix and match components with my existing armor, it’s a non-starter.

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Posted by: zenleto.6179

zenleto.6179

The only thing I want out of the bundle is the glider skin; outfits can go to hell. I’m happy enough to wait until the bundle is split up anyway, and if that doesn’t happen then I’m equally happy to not put any money towards it at all.

What are these weapons though? I need to look into that. And I still wouldn’t buy a bundle for a weapon skin anyway(see first sentence for reason).

Fire up the Hyperbowl ma, we’re going to town!

Would you like some hard cheeze with your sad whine?

Posted by: SuLor.2840

SuLor.2840

So there are lots of people who won’t buy outfits because you can’t mix or match, it’s all or nothing, and now they are bundling the new outfits and gliders with a bunch of random stuff, so you can only get all or nothing. That makes sense.

I would be interested in getting new glider skins, but no way will I be buying a bunch of other stuff I don’t want to get it.

Posted by: Daralii.8940

Daralii.8940

@Iason Evan.3806 yup its only a bundle – they give you the following for 2000 gems
- Bandit sniper outfit
- Soul river glider
- Immortal weapon choice
- total makeover kit
- (5) shadow dye kit

i just dont get why its only in bundle form – i mean its clear they can release outfits and gliders on their own. This just feels a little greedy to only put the option of a bundle for 2000 gems (which is also 30% off..).

An option to buy parts would be soo nice to have. You cant even gift the bundle, which also kinda bums me out.

The frustrating part as a Ranger main is that this is exactly the type of armor that medium armor users have been asking for for ages. They totally ignore it and throw it in as an outfit that can’t be tooled around with.

The next QoL thing I want to see is them fixing their armor system so that it works better. That’s the only reason I can see that we aren’t getting new armor sets on at least a consistent basis.

If they aren’t going to include at least a fair amount of armor sets to earn in a boxed expansion, why should anyone buy the gem shop fodder that can’t be mixed and matched with pre-existing pieces? For $50 there should have been, at the very least half the amount of armor skins as in the base game included to earn. That’s not unreasonable when the asking price for the expansion was $10 less than the base game.

Heck, they should have put in 50 new dyes too and weapons and backpieces.

I’m willing to bet they made it(and strider and viper sets) a gem store item specifically because it’s the kind of thing medium armor users have been asking for more of for three years. “Here it is! That’ll be ten bucks. :^)”

Posted by: Ballrazor.1982

Ballrazor.1982

I would have purchased the glider skin but the rest of the pack is lacklustre and I simply don’t want it, so, no sale for me. Hopefully they will rethink this way of selling items in future.

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

It seems as if people who don’t own HoT shouldn’t buy off of the gem shop. Outfits a la carte please. I have no use for a glider.

Also, please start selling access to Elite Specs for PvP on a per profession basis. Thanks.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

I would have bought the glider skin on its own, so anet can shove their bundle down to the mists.

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I’m willing to bet they made it(and strider and viper sets) a gem store item specifically because it’s the kind of thing medium armor users have been asking for more of for three years. “Here it is! That’ll be ten bucks. :^)”

The sad thing is I was perfectly fine with shoveling $10 at them for the outfit.

It’s nice that we finally get a good medium armor not made by someone with a trench coat or “giant linebacker shoulder pads” fetish and was willing to pay 1/5 of the entire xpack to get it.

Buying an obvious cash grab package full of crap I don’t want and won’t use is another matter….

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Neyjour.3921

Neyjour.3921

I’d like to have the outfit, but have absolutely no interest in any of the other items in the bundle. Am I going to pay $25.00 for that 1 item I want? Absolutely not.

What should have been done, is to release them as individual purchases, with the option to buy the bundle at a small discount.

But what will most likely happen is, they’ll try to squeeze $25.00 out of as many people as possible, and when sales start to significantly decline, they’ll then release everything individually for all the hold-outs. More money that way (possibly), but is it really worth it in the long run to kitten-off and alienate your players/customers?

Blatant greed and slimy/shady business practices are why I left ArchAge and will never-ever touch another product again that has TRION’s name attached to it. I really hope that doesn’t happen with GW2. I love this game, but if if I start feeling like ArenaNet only views their players/customers as ignorant walking-talking ATM machines, I’m gone.

Don’t get me wrong… I understand they have to make money, and I fully support the Gem Store as a means to do that. But please do it the right way. Happy, satisfied customers will have no problem throwing money your way (I’ve already spent hundreds of dollars in just under 2 months). Angry, dissatisfied customers will walk away and find a different game/company to give their money to, as well as litter the official forums (and other GW2-related forums) with angry posts/threads (which is very bad for hooking potential new players/customers).

Posted by: Aguri.2896

Aguri.2896

Was going to buy the outfit but since it’s bundled nope. This is really dirty and even more so than those stereotypical korean F2P MMOs.

I’m only here because sometimes I just like to watch things burn.

Posted by: Blackhearted.1264

Blackhearted.1264

When the wedding dress came out at 1k gems i recall saying something along the lines of: “if this is successful, we can expect all new outfits to be priced like this”. Looks like i was wrong though(in the bad way) and they took it one step further, cranking it up to 2k gems for an outfit now instead(and even adding a fake “discount” to trick you to thinking you’re saving money). And while i, too, would like to see the outfit separate, this is anet we’re talking about. They don’t put much effort into listening to their player base most of the time so this(and future outfits) will likely remain like this forever.

Posted by: senki.1046

senki.1046

totally agree.

it’s a bad marketing strategie of Anet. they become more and more greedy. their reputation is decreasing constantly, that’s the feeling for me at least.

hope they change….

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I agree.

The biggest issue I have is that the bundle is more of a mish mash, even if you give a lore explanation the looks don’t complement each other naturally. If you had some kind of soul river outfit it would make more sense and be at least a bit more acceptable.

Ultimately this is not a very consumer friendly practice, if this is a method to get sales off less popular aesthetics it’s time to rethink design, and not work on unpopular projects when you need them to turn a significant profit vs implementation. My first experience with the “bandit sniper” is the quilted parts matching my skin tone and looking like fish nets on a male. I like Rocky Horror too but kitten jA-net, and at best outside the hood reminds of med armor players already wear when not in a trench coat. To each their own tho, however I among many others don’t want it.

I don’t think bundles themselves are bad, bundles alone with exclusives are. (although the immortal skin thing is tolerable)

While we’re on the topic of aesthetics. Stop making so many weapons with weird dimensions, faces, and blue. GSs for example don’t need super long handles with very little effective blade. We can have some but not an over-saturation of them.

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

(edited by Daishi.6027)

Posted by: Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Yup, EAnet is at it again. Bad enough they no longer make armor sets, but to make outfits in a dumb bundle? And ONLY available in a bundle? Whoever is their economy decision maker needs to be fired or knocked upside the head.

If they had put out the Glider and Outfit by themselves, I would have spent a little cash I saved for things like this and gotten it. I save my Gold for sinking into building my Legendary or anything else shiny I like ingame. But no, gotta spend 2k gems for junk I don’t want or need just to get the outfit. Haha, No. I think I’ll hold onto my money for something else, like Team Fortress 2 or whatever.

On a side note, kinda surprised they haven’t added a 400G=5$ option in their payment list. They’d prob rake in more money from those.

(edited by Aries Of Ragnarok.1365)

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

Yup, EAnet is at it again. Bad enough they no longer make armor sets, but to make outfits in a dumb bundle? And ONLY available in a bundle? Whoever is their economy decision maker needs to be fired or knocked upside the head.

On a side note, kinda surprised they haven’t added a 400G=5$ option in their payment list. They’d prob rake in more money from those.

These kind of dubious, hare-brained development and marketing strategies have plagued this game pretty much from day one. Somewhere in this game’s management is a truckload of incompetence; I wish I could get an inside glimpse at how their teams run and see where it’s happening. I’m sure some of it is influence coming from NCSoft to prioritize ways to maximize profit over the short term. Typical corporate blunder.

(edited by Einlanzer.1627)

Posted by: Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

Aries Of Ragnarok.1365

These kind of dubious, hare-brained development and marketing strategies have plagued this game pretty much from day one. Somewhere in this game’s management is a truckload of incompetence; I wish I could get an inside glimpse at how their teams run and see where it’s happening. I’m sure some of it is influence coming from NCSoft to prioritize ways to maximize profit over the short term. Typical corporate blunder.

Yeah I often wonder what goes through these guys heads at times and how in the wideworld of quaggans they think they’re good ideas. lol

Posted by: Swift.1930

Swift.1930

Yeah, we should be able to buy pieces – or at least to choose which sections are shown via the outfit panel. I hate hats/helmets quite a lot, and most gem store outfits include hideous ones. (Also, Guild Wars 1 sold outfits, and you could choose which parts you used. Come on, Guild Wars 2, catch up already…)

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Brian.9524

Brian.9524

I agree with the general discontent over this bundle. I would much rather be able to buy the pieces separately, especially since they don’t follow any sort of theme whatsoever.

Posted by: Saavedra.8912

Saavedra.8912

Buying each item separately was way too confusing. Thank you Arenanet for streamlining my Gemstore Experience !

Swift.1930

Buying each item separately was way too confusing. Thank you Arenanet for streamlining my Gemstore Experience !

To clarify: I’m fine with buying outfits as all-in-ones (bit pricey, but whatever); the issue is that we can’t customize which parts are equipped on our characters via the outfit panel.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Posted by: Hyper Cutter.9376

Hyper Cutter.9376

I just want the kitten glider, I’m not paying 2000 gems for that.

Yeah, we should be able to buy pieces – or at least to choose which sections are shown via the outfit panel. I hate hats/helmets quite a lot, and most gem store outfits include hideous ones. (Also, Guild Wars 1 sold outfits, and you could choose which parts you used. Come on, Guild Wars 2, catch up already…)

You can turn off outfit headgear by turning off your armor’s helm.

Posted by: World War III.3869

World War III.3869

Be cool to have a couple immortal weapon skins or go for the set. minus the $10,000 cost ofc.

Substance E.4852

When the wedding dress came out at 1k gems i recall saying something along the lines of: “if this is successful, we can expect all new outfits to be priced like this”. Looks like i was wrong though(in the bad way) and they took it one step further, cranking it up to 2k gems for an outfit now instead(and even adding a fake “discount” to trick you to thinking you’re saving money).

The wedding dress was 10 different styles though. Most Outfits are 2-2.5 at most with some being only one.

Whether it was worth 1,000gems on it’s own is debatable but it was fine to charge more for an outfit set that took a significantly greater amount of time and designing to make.

This is a basic 700gem outfit with 1300 gems worth of other stuff added on and no other option available.

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Whomever they hired for the most recent bundles does not understand price discrimination. Anet isn’t going to get more money by only selling bundles. They’re getting less.

Yes because it is not like they have the data to back up what they are doing. Oh wait, they do.

Data is of no value to the incompetent.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

^^^^^^
Only post in the entire thread that Anet will see.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: do it.4016

do it.4016

I agree. This bundle not even matched together. I only like the glider and I am forced to buy other things I don’t like/want. “Nope”

lv80>Mesmer>Damage Capping build>Supporter

Swift.1930

Uh… really? Hasn’t work for me any other time; I’ll need to try it again when I get home. I’ve also never seen anyone in an outfit minus the helmet, but maybe I just haven’t been paying enough attention.

Been there, punned that.

Ehmry Bay Guardian

Substance E.4852

Uh… really? Hasn’t work for me any other time; I’ll need to try it again when I get home. I’ve also never seen anyone in an outfit minus the helmet, but maybe I just haven’t been paying enough attention.

You have to toggle your helmet in the equipment menu. It will then affect the visibility of the hat on the outfit.

I think most leave it on since many of the outfits don’t look so great without the hat.

Posted by: Krew.3081

Krew.3081

I also agree, I spend money on gems to buy the outfits and things I like. I usually get every outfit or glider. I refuse to pay almost 30.00 to buy gems to get the bundle, especially during the holidays. Very disappointing, I really like the outfit and glider. 700 gems is a understandable and welcomed price for those things.

Posted by: Esquilax.3491

Esquilax.3491

It doesn’t matter what we think. We aren’t the data and are a minority. They clearly have some very smart person(s)working out ways to manipulate people to spend more money than they want to.

Good for them.

Posted by: CzarZ.3405

CzarZ.3405

It doesn’t matter what we think. We aren’t the data and are a minority. They clearly have some very smart person(s)working out ways to manipulate people to spend more money than they want to.

Good for them.

They’ll act smart like Trion did with ArcheAge, before it totally collapsed when players left. It might work in the short term, but long term this just creates ill-will in the community, and a public relations fiasco. Why would any company want to be that gaming company?

Posted by: Labjax.2465

Labjax.2465

I’m really getting annoyed of the cashshop tactics of late. So soon after a buy to play expansion and most of the Hot rewards are in the cashshop or locked behind a massive grind wall. I’m at the point of not playing anymore for now (no you cant have my stuff :-p). Used to invest in services and convenience items now and then (storage upgrades, salvage kits etc) buying gems. Even those never seem to go on sale anymore.

I’m sure it means little to them coming from a guy like me (my purchases are few and far-between) but I have no intention of dropping so much as another penny on this game until they make some effort not to look like a money-grubbing Zynga game. It’s been nothing but downhill since HoT, in terms of cash shop and reward grifting.

(I’m not trying to be hyperbolic and say the whole game is bad. Just that the money-generating aspect is going in a shadier direction.)

I’m wondering just WHAT it’s gonna take to drive this point (and many others) home for ANet…especially if they get so teary-eyed at the truth.

There is only one way they will listen and that’s if people vote with their wallets, consistently. When it comes to low level game design, a little feedback can make a difference. When it comes to corporate heads making calls about cash shops, they only speak one language: Profit. And it doesn’t matter one lick how the devs feel about what they’re being told to produce for said cash shops. It only matters what the company executives decide.

Or words to that effect.

Posted by: beefjus.9347

beefjus.9347

I’m as straight as they come, but even I’ve gone “ew, those pants DO NOT go with that top” several times in the gem store. +1 to splitting the outfits up!

Current Rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Beefjus/saved/WBx323
Planning on upgrading to a GTX980ti by late 2016

Posted by: Devildoc.6721

Devildoc.6721

Oh would you look at that, anet hired someone from Nexon to run the GW2 store.

…did they really do that?

Yes, Ms Cox has been with Arenanet since before GW2 launched and previously worked on Maple Story.

Zapp – 80 Asura Afromancer

Posted by: Aya.6321

Aya.6321

I 100% agree. I was actually pretty disappointed to find out all the hyped content over the last week was only going to come another useless, overpriced bundle?

Yes. I know nobody is forcing me to buy it, but for me it’s more about the principle.
Welp. I see where you are ANET.
-1 Faithful Customer who used to love throwing money at you.

Posted by: Tigaseye.2047

Tigaseye.2047

I know, ITA.

The bundles should be an option, for those who want everything (or most things) in them, but not the only option.

Yeah, they toggle off.

I pretty much never show helm with outfits.

Most of them look better without them, IMO.

Several people are using the word “forced” here. No one is “forcing” you to do anything. The items aren’t something you need and no one is holding a gun to your head and telling you to buy the bundle. Yes, it’s a crappy business tactic, but let’s not be overly dramatic. If you don’t want to buy the bundle, then don’t buy the bundle. At least you aren’t being penalized for not purchasing.

They don’t mean “forced” in the sense of having no option whether to buy the bundle, or not.

They just mean that, if they wanted to buy object a) they would be forced to also buy objects b), c) and d).

Which is true and is a correct usage of the word “forced”.

You could substitute the word “obliged”, for the word “forced”, there, if it makes you feel any better; but it all means the same, in the end.

I really think people need to be a little less literal, on these forums.

Words, in English, are often quite fluid and can mean, or imply, many different things and/or or levels of things.

If someone is just sitting there Googling word meanings and taking a word to only mean meaning number 1, all the time, of course people may look like they’re being overly melodramatic.

But, that isn’t how the English language works.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

(edited by Tigaseye.2047)

Posted by: rdb.9258

rdb.9258

I really like the Crystal Arbiter outfit, but I’m definitely not willing to spend 2000 gems on it. I do neither need nor want any of the other stuff in the bundle.
Offering those bundles without the option to buy the items separately is a bad idea and I hope this is not the future way to go.

Posted by: Bigsexy.8302

Bigsexy.8302

2000 gems with the 30% off. Such a bad joke, I forgot to laugh. Tha last two outfits look nice, actually the best they have been made in the last year so it’s really low and cash-grabby they put it in bundles to justify the price. I don’t even have HoT, so why do I have to pay for a glider? And outfits are outfits, can’t mix-match them with other armor…

edit:
HoT sales must be doing great, that’s why they unlocked the transfers for every server, and now those ridiculous priced bundles.

(edited by Bigsexy.8302)

Posted by: Rin.1046

Rin.1046

I’m putting my voice here too. This is an underhanded tactic that needs to stop. If you are going to do bundles, you should at least offer the items seperately at the same time. I will be voting with my wallet and not spending a penny, I hope others do the same.

I only want the outfit, and I refuse to spend 2000 gems on it. This kind of tactic is not appreciated and needs to change.

Simplicity is complex.

Good feedback is key to getting the developers to listen to you.

Posted by: MAGpie.7962

MAGpie.7962

I doubt I will be buying gems anytime soon. Not until this nonsense stops.

Waiting for the Redit post to trend. Fantastic publicity Guildwars is going to get when that happens.

Posted by: Achilles.5108

Achilles.5108

I have to say I love the soul river glider skin, but I dislike the bandit sniper outfit. I won’t give 2000 gems for a glider even if I liked the outfit. I can’t understand why you put all those together in a pack in order to raise the price. You knew that you will kitten off everyone and you did it anyway.

Posted by: Rothius.1069

Rothius.1069

Adding to this topic. It is completely ridiculous that the bundle is the only option to buy these skins. I don’t even consider buying them since the bundles cost 2000 gems. It’s not worth it to me to pay that much money up front for anything. What’s sillier is that I would probably pay more than that over time for most of the items in that bundle.

Bundles should be a bonus, not the base.

I also agree with the sentiments that we need more armor skins. Some people would rather customize their look, via mixing and matching armor skins (and dealing with any clipping that happens – it is understood that clipping happens when mixing and matching). I personally find it uninteresting to use pre-made outfits, since in the end that does nothing for my actual customization.

Posted by: Linfang.1087

Linfang.1087

What happened to Micro-transactions? I am sorry, but spending over $20 just for one bundled item? There is nothing micro about it. I thought the point was you could buy items that were considered smaller purchases, like $4-$6 if you used real money. I do not mind spending a initial 20$+ dollars and over time purchasing 2-3 items and converting the rest to gold.

Posted by: zorokai.1486

zorokai.1486

Its kind of worrying that people are ok with bundles, having looked on reddit and more. I mean its nice having loads of things given in a bundle as its cheaper than picking them up separately but that only applies if you want them.

like Rothius said bundles should not be a base Period. Its just greedy and money grabby if they do that, and then release the items (which people want, like the outfit and glider) as a standalone later.

Options and choices from the very get go Please…

Baldur [SL]

Tigaseye.2047

• Players being so upset by this tactic they quit the game (I don’t find this likely either)

On the whole I agree with you, but what I think you’re leaving out, here, is the cumulative effect of stuff like this, over time.

I don’t think many people would leave over something like this, alone, but it could be another nail in the coffin for them.

“Turns out when people play the game, they don’t admire your feet at all.” sephiroth

Tigaseye.2047

Forum Bug.

(15 chars)

Posted by: Agemnon.4608

Agemnon.4608

If they had put out the Glider and Outfit by themselves, I would have spent a little cash I saved for things like this and gotten it. I save my Gold for sinking into building my Legendary or anything else shiny I like ingame. But no, gotta spend 2k gems for junk I don’t want or need just to get the outfit. Haha, No. I think I’ll hold onto my money for something else, like Team Fortress 2 or whatever.

Agree mostly, but John Smith is the economy guy. He brought value back to silk and leather so that suggestion wouldn’t be wise. I think the cash shop guy is a different person than the in game economy guy.

Guild Wars 2 seems to be on the verge on Nexoning and I haven’t played for a week other than logging in and selling a few things.

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

• Players being so upset by this tactic they quit the game (I don’t find this likely either)

On the whole I agree with you, but what I think you’re leaving out, here, is the cumulative effect of stuff like this, over time.

I don’t think many people would leave over something like this, alone, but it could be another nail in the coffin for them.

Right. It’s the ill will that is built up over time that matters. Their track record with GW2 has not been great between poor communication, poor balancing efforts, and dubious marketing strategies.