Outfits & Dye Request

Outfits & Dye Request

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Lillium.6481

Lillium.6481

I’m sure someone has suggested this before, somewhere, but I tend to avoid these forums and such a post was not in the first few pages… Thus!

I would super really love to see dyes on outfits saved per outfit (on each character, ofc) rather than simply having one dye set that applies to whatever outfit you toggle on.

There are literally hundreds of dye colors in this game. I assume anyone who has been playing for some time has, like me, built up a sizable collection of such dyes, and not through putting much effort into it. So at least for me, when I go to dye anything I spend a decent amount of effort picking perfect shades for every single dye slot for that particular armor piece/outfit. And then come back later to spend a bit more time trying out different shades until it is perfect. I mean, even if I make something all black (which I don’t), there are literally half a dozen shades of black! And several near-blacks that sometimes come off better. This dye system and selection is definitely my favorite of any MMO.
For outfits, this causes a problem, because I’ve carefully dyed whatever my character is wearing, and those specific colors never work well for other outfits. I do not want to change that outfit! I’ll lose the perfect choices I’d painted on it when I put something else on. (And subsequently redyed, because hoooo my that accessory color does not work on those shoes!) Which leads me to be hesitant to buying any extra outfits. Sure, I like that spiffy shiny new thing, but will I use it? Nope. Because each character has one outfit that’s stapled to their backside and not changing, because the dye is perfect, unless I want to no longer use that current outfit at all. I imagine this problem is much worse for anyone who plays a small number of characters, instead of a large collection of alts.

I keep hearing people say that outfits are much more of what’s being made for the game, and I don’t want to miss out on them. This is Fashion Wars 2 after all, and I love collecting up different clothes! But I also don’t want to build up a large collection that I feel like I can’t use most of it.

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

It would be a nice QoL feature. I’ve (sort of) been writing it down in notes on my iPad for each char and each of their outfits.

One thing I wonder about though is how it would be handled. Let’s say you have 9 chars and 5 outfits. Can the game save 5 outfit dye combinations for each of your 9 chars? What if you have 20 chars and 10 outfits? Can it save all those, and where does it save them?

I’d love to have this feature but I have to wonder how it would be set up and the information stored.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Gryphon.2875

Gryphon.2875

If each color is just a code ID, then doesn’t take up that much room.

Outfits & Dye Request

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah. My guess is wardrobe would have to be redone also. The current version has the slots remembering one set of colors. I suspect it would need to be changed so that each outfit for each of your chars have a separate memory of the dye selections assigned to it instead of the slot.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I feel your pain, but I think it’s intrinsic to the outfit system. So here’s my workaround:

I keep a Word document listing all my alts alphabetically, and under each one I list each outfit they ever might wear. I add the preferred dye scheme for that outfit for that alt (going upper left, upper right, lower left, lower right in list order of dyes). Some dye schemes do work well across a number of outfits, it turns out. But if not, I just cue up that document when I want a different outfit on the alt for a bit and use the dye search feature in the hero panel to quickly find and apply the relevant four dyes. I also put a * in front of the outfits that really work for that alt.

So for example,
Lord Arlos Victor
*Fancy Winter – Scarlet, Caramel, Cinders, Tarnished Silver
Monk – Lemon Tint, Glint’s Isolation, Shadow Red, Glint’s Isolation
*Noble Count – Enameled Crimson, White Gold, Midnight Gold, Antique Gold
Royal Guard – Flare, Pyre, Enameled Crimson, Glint’s Isolation
Sentinel — Lemon Tint, Glint’s Isolation, Crimson Lion, Glint’s Isolation
*Wedding — Enameled Crimson, White Gold, Shadow Abyss, Antique Gold
White Mantle – Celestial, Ruby, Flare, Matriarch Brass (richer version of default)

Outfits & Dye Request

Just a flesh wound.3589

Yah, I do something similar. Like this, on my iPad

Slots

Slythy 
-Verdant Executioner
Pyre, Enameled Reign
Enameled Onset, Flame
——————-
-Harbinger of Mordremoth 
Shadow purple, enameled reign
Forgiveness, electro lime 

It’s not set up well though. Takes up a lot of room. Maybe the straight across method would be better.

ANet may give it to you.

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

Woot, my pet project :-). I’ve been bi… asking for this forever.

Swapping from khaki Jungle Explorer in Dragon’s Stand to a white Arctic in Bitterfrost and later to a colorful Fancy Winter Outfit for socializing in Rata Sum is quite dis-encouraged right now.

IMO there should an outfit overhaul:

• Options saved per outfit
  • Cosmetic shoulder pieces shine through (Nightfury etc.)
  • Separate show/hide options and
  • Dye channels for head, shoulder, hands, feet, aura & obligatory butt-cape
  • A hotkey for the outfit sub-window

This is fashion war, isn’kitten Let us play it that way. And take our money for more outfits, ofc. ^^

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

This is the number 1 reason I don’t buy more outfits. It genuinely bothers me more than the inability to mix and match pieces.

At the moment I have one ‘default’ outfit for each character and maybe one other they’ll wear sometimes. The default looks great (IMO) with their dye scheme, the other one looks ok – it’s not the colours I’d choose but its passable and it gives them a 3rd look to switch to quickly.

Buying any more outfits would be a waste of money because in order to switch to them I’d have to change all the dyes around too and that takes significantly more time than just swapping outfits, which means I’m unlikely to do it. Sure it’s not a lot of time in total but the convenience of just pressing a few buttons to get a whole new look is the appeal of outfits for me. So I don’t buy any others. I probably never will now I’ve got at least one that works for each character.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

If anyone’s like me then they change due combos, Outfits, and Weapon skins so often that locked in dyes might. E more of a pain in the *.

Outfits & Dye Request

Just a flesh wound.3589

The inability to remember each individual outfit’s color scheme for each char is a bit of a drawback and stops the outfits from being a true ‘toss on and go’ setup. I use outfits a lot as the ability to switch between them for a quick change of look is faster than armor both in time of choosing and in cost of T charges. However it then either means some time fiddling with the dyes to get a good combination or taking the time to write all the combinations of char/outfit/dye down and then opening up the document and finding the char/outfit/dye previously chosen each time you switch.

It really would be an improvement on the outfit system for the dyes to be remembered. if it’s not to much trouble to set up I hope they look in to it.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I dont use outfits much, have only purchased one, but I can see how this would be a nice QOL feature for outfit use in general.

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

GW2’s current cosmetic systems are such that anything more than one look per character is cumbersome and/or seems wasteful. It isn’t just dyes for outfits, it’s the one wardrobe slot on which a full change means up to 10 operations (transform 6 armor, 4 weapon) rather than multiple slots, each with its own look, that can be switched with one click. It seems strange to me that a game whose endgame carrots largely revolve around how one’s character looks didn’t include more robust ways to allow players to switch looks more readily.

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

I didn’t realize how badly I needed this until I read op’s post!

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

There are only 4 dye channels per outfit, so I don’t mind so much that the game doesn’t remember.

Instead, what concerns me is that typically the dye channels are… non-intuitive. In some cases, a dye channel covers ornamentation in the top half and material in the lower half (e.g. torso buttons and leggings, rather than torso buttons and leg buttons). Sometimes, too much of the outfit is a fixed color.

That limits the number of combinations. I really like the Ancestral Outfit, but I don’t feel I can use more than two dyes (or perhaps 2 plus 2 very similar colors).

In theory, that problem is easier to prevent since it’s a matter of design choices, rather than a new mechanic.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Outfits & Dye Request

Posted by: SlippyCheeze.5483

SlippyCheeze.5483

The most common challenge is that there are in-memory structures that expand because of this, causing unexpected memory pressure when you multiply this sort of thing by 150 players or more in a single instance – or that there is some sort of hard-coded limitation somewhere that makes it difficult to add arbitrary data to your backend storage.

Which are both annoying, and mostly “it’s hard to fix after the fact” problems, but sometimes that is life.

So, just because the raw data is small, it’s a mistake to assume that it is an equally small effort to store it for an MMO. Which can really suck.