"Outfits are easier to make than armor"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nemitri.8172

Nemitri.8172

Seriously, go take a look at this outfit! it could have been a new armor! (Granted, another stinking trench coat, but still, could have been an armor).

And this is not the first one either, the elite sniper I believe it’s called, could easily be a new medium armor!

This “outfit” could have been made available to each and every armor weight as a normal armor and people wouldn’t complain so much!

I miss fashion wars 2, it was my endgame I love mixing and matching armors, but you guys just keep making so stale. Now we have a bunch of people all looking the same, bah!

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

As if the outfits were nice….or good looking… and the armor huge pauldron are fugly as hell.

…o
Outfits tend to be 1 full body replacer on top the skeleton, while armors tend to be several individual parts, if armors are being reused from already done armor pieces it shoould not be that much harder than reuse the outfits to make new ones, this game dont have body coliders either to aply to the armors.
I believe by doing more outfits its less time consuming and the animations can be fully integrated in one piece, while in armor they need to make it indiviadually (almost).

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

Posted by: Ophidia Moonstone.2587

Ophidia Moonstone.2587

If people quit buying outfits and only bought armor, we’d have more armor and less outfits. I have bought exactly one outfit, and I regretted it.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

If people quit buying outfits and only bought armor, we’d have more armor and less outfits. I have bought exactly one outfit, and I regretted it.

this^
if we want them to listen to us and stop churning out cashgrab one-piece sets,
and start focusing on making what we actually want then we need to talk in a language that they understand, money.
clearly some people are buying up all of the outfits, and aslong as those unimaginative folks are happy buying every clone suit Anet release we won’t get any effort put in to making armours instead.

(edited by Liewec.2896)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Considering they don’t even make the Outfits at 100% quality anyways armor must be borderline impossible. ;-; Sylvari clipping on it is pretty bad. My OCD hurtz.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

To be honest, I think adding just one piece of armor every black lion update instead of a whole outfit would attract me more (and if they did that from the start, by now we would have a rich and attractive collection of pieces to buy)
It would be the same amount of work (if not less). And after a while, it would make the whole collection more worthwhile than the outfits, as the collection gets richer and newer pieces of equipment could possibly make old ones more attractive with the combination possibilities.

I mean, I wouldn’t mind updates like :
week 1 : light gauntlets
week 2 : heavy gauntlets

week n : medium trenchcoat nice overtop

At this point, it’s fair to say that most people have many types of characters. Even if the current item of the week isn’t compatible with their main, it can fit with their alts. Personally I wouldn’t mind investing in a nice piece of equipment even if it’s not for my main thief, providing it can look awesome on one of my alts.

And seriously don’t even give too much thought about those clipping problems. There are already some with the current pieces but it’s not really THAT shocking. Even my current style revolves around an interesting effect due to that said clipping.

(edited by Tabootrinket.2631)

Posted by: MisterOiZo.4359

MisterOiZo.4359

Totally agree on the ‘outfits’ thing its a bad invention made for consumers to consume things, and be a lemming about it, not for people who like to be creative and mix match own creations. Okay it might be harder to make etc. But I really don’t care about that I’d rather have 1 item every 3 months than a new gemstore item each week. I guess that you guys at anet are all for quality instead of quantity too right ?

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Anet used to only release armors, people bought them. And anet still decided to create outfits instead of armors. So I doubt that would change anything.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

And I stated this before. Because, according to MO, they can make 10 outfits in the time to make one “set” (three weights) of armor, armor is too cost prohibited as a gem store item. That that’s because anything developed exclusively for the gem store has to not only pay for it’s development but have to contribute to the rest of the game’s development. And since outfits are 700 gems and armors are 800 gems, it’s not rocket surgery to see why.

At the end of the day, it’s a business. They decided that a cash shop was the way to go and that means “new” stuff has to keep showing up to keep the spice cash flowing. Sorry, that’s the reality. If you have to keep new items showing up in the cash stop, it needs to be “cheap” in terms of resources to make and that’s what outfits are.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

I just want to be able to wear that new outfit’s helm with my armor. Looks like Darkwolf from Fire & Ice (1983).

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Armor costs more to make. If they make one set of armor for only one weight that only part of the chars can use and make one outfit that everyone can use, and they sell both for 700-800 gems each they’ll make more profit per sale selling outfits. Even if they sell fewer, as long as it’s above a certain amount they’ll still make more. And outfits do sell. I see people wearing outfits all the time. The more they make, the bigger the outfit wardrobe is, the more diverse the looks, the less you’ll look like anyone else if you wear an outfit. No more than someone wearing one full, non mixed set of armor.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Djinn.9245

Djinn.9245

Armor costs more to make. If they make one set of armor for only one weight that only part of the chars can use and make one outfit that everyone can use, and they sell both for 700-800 gems each they’ll make more profit per sale selling outfits. Even if they sell fewer, as long as it’s above a certain amount they’ll still make more. And outfits do sell. I see people wearing outfits all the time. The more they make, the bigger the outfit wardrobe is, the more diverse the looks, the less you’ll look like anyone else if you wear an outfit. No more than someone wearing one full, non mixed set of armor.

I’m not sure why you’re bothering with this explanation: I DON’T CARE. I don’t care that outfits are easier and cheaper to make – I don’t like them. If all Anet cares about is making cheap and easy things to make the most money, then they will lose out because they won’t be making a quality product that people actually care about.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I’m not sure why you’re bothering with this explanation: I DON’T CARE. I don’t care that outfits are easier and cheaper to make – I don’t like them. If all Anet cares about is making cheap and easy things to make the most money, then they will lose out because they won’t be making a quality product that people actually care about.

As it turns out, lots of people buy outfits, so they are making a product that some people care about.

While you might not care about the reasons for yourself, if you want to convince ANet to change their policy, you should at least try to understand their position.

• ANet can make 10 outfits in the time it takes to make one set of armor for all weights + genders + races.
  • People have shown willingness to pay ~700 gems per outfit and 800 gems/armor set.
  • Gem shop additions have to both pay for their own development and subsidize the game.

You want more armors? Convince ANet that people will accept lesser quality skins/animations or that they can charge more or … explain to them how they can still make money by using a lot more resources while charging only a little more.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Are they losing out? Just because you don’t like them does not mean that others aren’t buying and that others don’t like them. Obviously a lot of people do like and buy outfits. Obviously it’s making the company more money than selling armor (or else they wouldn’t have switched to selling outfits). More money coming in, more content they have a budget to make.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

I will never buy armor until they make transmutations free. I have bought many outfits because I can freely switch between them.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Oldirtbeard.9834

Oldirtbeard.9834

Sorry armor lovers I’m guilty as charged when it comes to financially supporting outfits, as a matter of fact I plan on buying the new one when I get paid.

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

clone suit

Say no to clone suits.

Posted by: DoomKnightMax.6592

DoomKnightMax.6592

I think anet once said they want outifts to be gemstore items and armor sets to be acquired in game. I guess the real question is “where the HELL are the in game armor skins then?” Is there less profit incentive to create them? Sure it requires more effort, especially when garbage design tends like skirts dresses and trench coats are drilled into the art teams brain but…. why not just put in the effort?

Posted by: Acrisor.8097

Acrisor.8097

I bought outfits. I will continue to buy outfits I like. I do not know what other players enjoy, but I like fashion wars.

I am a casual player. I play since release and I do not want any legendary items because it requires too much time and energy from me. So, I enjoy exotic items, and outfits, and little things that provide fun. For me it’s simple and it’s fun.

Thank you ArenaNet. Please continue to provide me beautiful outfits. I will buy them.

Posted by: Lucentfir.7430

Lucentfir.7430

lol no matter how anet slices it, there’s always going to be complaints. I remember back then when Anet released armor sets in the gemstore alot of people were losing their marbles that it wasn’t a in-game reward, only obtainable through the gemshop. So later on they changed armor sets only being released as In-game reward, while outfits are only pretty much gemstore exclusive (excluding the Halloween Outfit obtainable with Candy Corn.),

For the matter of Outfits vs Armors ,in terms of releasing them; armors take much more time to release with one set then a outfit. Reason being that a outfit is just 1-2 pieces(Body and helm), compared to a set of armor that consists of 6 individual pieces, and they have to make those 6 pieces for 5 different races.

As for my opinion on outfits, i really like them, they’re especially useful for alts, and the specific look can carry over to other weight classes as you can note a majority of armor pieces cannot be carried over to say a light to heavy profession.

Reth Grimrazor – Charr Guardian – [GWB]Grim Warband – Tarnished Coast
Redgen Furyblaze – Charr Guardian – [SHD]Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast
Lerious Warhowl – Charr Warrior – [SHD] Shade Warband – Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Tabootrinket.2631

Tabootrinket.2631

The reason people and Anet think that armor cost more than outfit to create, is because they’re stuck to that idea that if they make an armor piece, they have to release it with the whole set, and with a version for each weight class.

It would be way cheaper if they focused on just one particular piece of equipment for an update, and rotate the weight class after each update.

MisterOiZo.4359

I think that if anet actually is saying that they have trouble getting new armours in then please defer some of your excellent gemstore filling and legendary shield making ppl to the armour design team to help them since they obviously have a hard time getting it done… Oh wait! forget that I don’t want legendary fishtank armour with a quaggan helmet (and a new jellyfish glider).!

Posted by: Ardid.7203

Ardid.7203

Most people prefer cheap, flashy and non creative stuff. That’s our civilization.

“Only problem with the Engineer is
that it makes every other class in the game boring to play.”
Hawks

Posted by: AliamRationem.5172

AliamRationem.5172

I happen to agree that armor pieces would be nice, and I liked the idea about a new armor piece each week. But I also purchased an outfit this time around. You could stand to get your point across without throwing petty insults at people after ascribing your own motivations to them.

I bought the outfit (my first) because I’m leveling with a friend and I thought it would be nice to have something cool looking instead of the constantly rotating assortment of generic skins I’m stuck with while leveling.

I also thought it might make a nice change of pace from time to time, particularly as part of a collection of several outfits that I find appealing. This would have the added benefit of not costing me transmutation charges every time I want to change my look.

This in no way indicates that I don’t also like cobbling together a unique look from whatever skins I have available. Nor does it indicate a lack of imagination. You present a false choice. We could have both, and I expect that would appeal to more players than one or the other even if it meant somewhat fewer outfits but more single armor pieces.

Djinn.9245

As it turns out, lots of people buy outfits, so they are making a product that some people care about.

While you might not care about the reasons for yourself, if you want to convince ANet to change their policy, you should at least try to understand their position.

• ANet can make 10 outfits in the time it takes to make one set of armor for all weights + genders + races.
  • People have shown willingness to pay ~700 gems per outfit and 800 gems/armor set.
  • Gem shop additions have to both pay for their own development and subsidize the game.

You want more armors? Convince ANet that people will accept lesser quality skins/animations or that they can charge more or … explain to them how they can still make money by using a lot more resources while charging only a little more.

We already have lesser quality: clipping, skirts, etc.

As for making more money, right now they are making zero dollars from me for outfits. I bet that’s true of a lot of other players. And they are making less from people who don’t prefer outfits because they can’t mix and match.

But I doubt that Anet is going to change their priorities as some Manager has decided that Fashion Wars isn’t as important as it used to be (like so many other fallen Ideals). And I will continue to not purchase outfits and complain that they make outfits instead of armors.

it’s this luck based mystic toilet that we’re all so sick of flushing our money down. -Salamol

Djinn.9245

Are they losing out? Just because you don’t like them does not mean that others aren’t buying and that others don’t like them. Obviously a lot of people do like and buy outfits. Obviously it’s making the company more money than selling armor (or else they wouldn’t have switched to selling outfits). More money coming in, more content they have a budget to make.

Profit isn’t always direct. As Anet continues to water down their initial vision for GW2, they lose out in other ways.

Djinn.9245

I bought outfits. I will continue to buy outfits I like. I do not know what other players enjoy, but I like fashion wars.

Outfits aren’t fashion wars – they are simply pasting a look on yourself. Mixing and matching is fashion wars.

Posted by: Goatjugsoup.8637

Goatjugsoup.8637

Sorry if its been mentioned here but there is a really obvious consideration that I didnt see get made.

Outfits they design once for each race and gender variation and then maybe add a little support afterwards if they messed up on clipping somewhere.

Armor they have to try to consider how each piece looks separately and how it meshes with existing armor. Plus there is an extra layer of designing it for the 3 different weight classes.

Outfits aren’t fashion wars – they are simply pasting a look on yourself. Mixing and matching is fashion wars.

I dont think I agree with that for example the harbinger of mordremoth outfit looks like puke unless you hide the head piece and dye it right.

Most wanted in game additions: Beastiary, readable books

Posted by: NovaZephyr.1293

NovaZephyr.1293

Last time I expressed my frustrations with the outfits, my thread got brow beat. I’d really love to be able to separate parts from outfits to use as armour but it just seems like it isn’t going to happen. It’s a shame. There are no outfits I’d like to use in their entirety, only in parts.

Posted by: Liewec.2896

Liewec.2896

I think anet once said they want outifts to be gemstore items and armor sets to be acquired in game.

yep, and that was when armours mostly stopped getting made :P
“we’ll sell you these, and give you this other thing for free!”
it was inevitable that they weren’t going to make many armours from that point on.

its a F2P game, on one hand they have things they say they will sell,
on the other they have things they say they will give you for free…
which do they make…

personally i think they need to go back on that “outfits gemstore, armours in-game” nonsense, i’ll throw money at my screen if it lets me get more armours!

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Well, that’s assuming that people would pay an amount for armors that would give Anet similar profit margins to what they get for outfits. Remember, this is a business and outfits are part of the portfolio of products Anet sells to make money. It’s not about what people want, it’s about what people are willing to buy.

Posted by: Leo G.4501

Leo G.4501

Have you ever thought that people just enjoy the outfits for what they are so that’s why they buy them?

Posted by: rebalnz.3869

rebalnz.3869

im mixed on this topic, i competently agree there is a lack of new Armour in gw2 and it worries me. mainly due to there being a missed opportunity for game progression. at the same time i do like the outfits in terms of there style. although a lot of outfits i WISH you could change the head armor slot which shouldn’t be hard to implement since you can hide it already.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

I’m all for armors. Would love to mix and match but I’m also a realist. Without cash flow the game ceases production. Cash flow in this game is generated by the cash shop. To keep the cash shop “fresh” they introduce new items and bring back items that were rotated out as well as having sales. This gets people to buy gems which fund continued development without resorting to selling power. These items have to be “cheap” to produce.

If you hate outfits, don’t buy outfits. No one is forcing you to but realize that new items like outfits, keys, dye kits, gliders and minis are keeping the lights on.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

MisterOiZo.4359

I will never buy armor until they make transmutations free. I have bought many outfits because I can freely switch between them.

Yes, I have heard more people complaining about this, and you do have a point. It is creating a threshold to be creative and swap up different skins, since if every thing you try out is going to cost you will try out less.

On the other hand, you do get the transmutation charges while playing PvP, in WvW from some reward tracks, while completing maps and opening black lion chests. So if you like to change up a lot you might consider playing more of that game content.

Maybe the solution should be that you get them more often doing other PvE game content as well?