Outfits share dye setup, bug or limitation?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Elric Of Melnibone.4781

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

I recently bought a couple of outfits and was playing around with dye combinations only to find out when I switched outfits, all my work was reset to the same color scheme on the prior outfit. Is that a bug or the way it has always worked? I only used one outfit per character before so I would not have noticed it, but this is a bit of a pain.

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

So outfits won’t take dye permanently? That’s pretty sad.

Posted by: Kamirose.4986

Kamirose.4986

I know for armor at least, if you re-equip the old armor and then re-equip the new armor, the dyes will stay (so new > old > new). I don’t know if that will work for outfits, though.

Posted by: SirServed.5693

SirServed.5693

Outfits are a one template for all type deal. You can assign up to 4 colors to one and these colors will persist for every Outfit you equip. You’ll want to pick one Outfit you like most, carefully design a color scheme that makes them all look good, or end up re-dying each Outfit after switching to it. Outfits are not to be confused with Armor Pieces though. Unlike an Outfit, each Armor Piece can be individually dyed and mixed with Armor Pieces of other sets to customize your appearance.

Posted by: Yamialexa.5103

Yamialexa.5103

Afaik, that’s the intended setup for outfits. Already had a thread about it somewhere.

Posted by: PopeUrban.2578

PopeUrban.2578

Yeah, they have it this way because outfits aren’t “items” any more, unlike armor. They’re just ephemeral things that live in the outfits panel.

Basically, armor is “real” so it keeps track of the dyes applied to it as a physical object with a database ID, while outfits are “skins” that don’t have a physical item counterpart, and thus don’t have inventory item IDs once they’re actually displayed on your character, so there’s nowhere to keep the data.

They’d basically have to rewrite the system again to support it, or turn the outfits in to actual gear items, which would then require more work to make sure you could clone the outfits for different characters.

Guild Master – The Papacy [POPE] (Gate of Madness)/Road Scholar for the Durmand Priory
Writer/Director – Quaggan Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ky2TGPmMPeQ

(edited by PopeUrban.2578)

Posted by: Plok.5873

Plok.5873

I don’t want to have to re-apply the dyes whenever switching outfits, or run with all with the same combination.

That, sort of, reduces the value of owning many outfits. Which reduces the incentive to buy them in 1st place. You want us to buy them, don’t you, Anet?

So, feature request: save dyeing per outfit. And perhaps allow us to address each piece (head, shoulders, chest, etc) separately, like with normal armor.
This is “horizontal progression fashion wars 2” after all. ^^

Pry Bar in yo’ face, You big disgrace / Box of Nails all over the place
Pet project: Outfit overhaul.

Posted by: sorudo.9054

sorudo.9054

i think it’s a bug, somehow outfits don’t remember dye’s properly.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

If your four dyes in your outfit dye section aren’t persisting, you have a bug. If they are, and you just want to rearrange them for each outfit, that’s by current design. When they first debuted they went back to default colors any time you swapped outfits and that really did suck.

Posted by: ScribeTheMad.7614

ScribeTheMad.7614

Wait what?
I log into my warrior, turn on Royal Guard, change colors.
Swap to my Guardian, enable Royal Guard, it’s at default colors.
Swap back to warrior, still customized.
Is this unique to Royal Guard? (I only own the one)

Oh wait, rereading it again you meant swapping outfits on the same character?
So for that character you only have 4 dye channels total not 4 per outfit?
I would have thought it would be per outfit per toon (but again I only own one)
They should really fix that :/

“The short answer is that new content is not going to drive people away from the game.
There is absolutely no evidence to support that it would.” -AnthonyOrdon

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

Oh, no, I should have been more clear. You do get individual dye schemes per character, but they persist for all outfits that character dons. That’s why sometimes there is a dye channel that does nothing, eg the first dye slot on Balthazar’s, because they only put in three slots for that outfit but your four-dye scheme remains constant.

Elric Of Melnibone.4781

They are clearly saving it per toon so why can’t they save it per outfit? I can understand why they don’t have color channels for each piece of the outfit because it’s probably all one piece anyway, but that would be even nicer.