Outlaw Outfit Appreciation

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Nate.8146

Nate.8146

I don’t often praise the work done by Anet’s krewe (deep down we all love you guys and gals), but I do want to say that I’m totally loving the new outlaw outfit. It has a lot of character to it and looks absolutely fab on my engineer. I know trench coats are sort of a love/hate relationship among the community, but know this gunslinger has your back!

Attachments:

Posted by: Angelica Dream.7103

Angelica Dream.7103

Guys is nice the girls could be a little more fantasy girly. But in the end they look a lot like the many medium armor coats.

Posted by: Chasind.3128

Chasind.3128

Guys is nice the girls could be a little more fantasy girly. But in the end they look a lot like the many medium armor coats.

Fantasy girly? umm…no lol. I’d much rather an authentic look & the duster coat wasn’t worn as often as one thinks. I’d like a belted coat that isn’t long. Imagine the outlaw outfit without the coat length. It would look 100% better.

Posted by: Chadramar.8156

Chadramar.8156

There’s like a billion Itty Bitty Miss T*tty “armors” and outfits, so I for one am glad this one actually, for once, almost looks the same on both genders. The spurs are weird though.

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

There’s like a billion Itty Bitty Miss T*tty “armors” and outfits, so I for one am glad this one actually, for once, almost looks the same on both genders. The spurs are weird though.

Start the hype train, Horse Mounts incoming!!! :P

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Girly? You can dye the coat pink, ya know.

Posted by: Havok.6073

Havok.6073

Yes, there were not enough trenchcoats, we needed an outfit with one.
FANTASTIC design there Anet, much imagination/variety in your designs. It’s either giant shoulderpieces or trenchcoats.

DeanBB.4268

Don’t forget the trenchcoats with giant shoulders!

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

Hey look! An OP with something positive to say!
Lets all make sure to drown it out and complain now!

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

While I’m not going to buy it it does have a place in the outfit lineup. There’s “heavy” outfits that can be worn by light and medium. “Light” outfits for the heavy and medium and “medium” outfits for light and heavy armor chars. Each expands the look to weights outside that char’s.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I really like it as an outfit (and highly recommend Heirloom Dye on the female coat), with some minor caveats:

The ragged hem. I don’t find it unrealistic, hide edges can do that even in finished garments. But it reduces the appeal for my dapper Daredevil.

The balding. I know you can’t help that. Maybe there should have been a small bandana drape from the back of the hat, similar to the Ringmaster Hat, to help conceal the shaved pate of characters who normally have plenty of hair.

The dye channels, especially on the male version. It’s true there are a lot of fiddly bits on this outfit (yay for attention to detail!) and only 4 channels to use. But the cloth bow tie matching the leather straps is odd, and combining vest and coat loses a lot of chances at contrast. Combining pants and metal fittings greatly reduces options on metal color since interesting hues for the metal become clownishly garish on the pants. And then there are the boots, which share with the shirt and bandana.

In general having vastly different materials lockstepped to the same hues makes it very hard to get a plausible, coherent look. I think I might have had the straps, boots, and gloves share a channel. Put shirt and vest in one channel but have the shirt part affected more brightly, perhaps, to get some contrast there. Give the pants their own channel, and link the cravat to the metal fittings (which violates my rule of thumb on mixing materials, but the cravat is smaller and makes more sense to be super colorful if desired).

Now where in all that does the coat go … ? Lol. Maybe add to the pants. Or to the vest, as currently, but again with the different effect of the same hue on each.

I didn’t study the female dye channels as closely due to lack of time, but I will note that having coat and chaps share a channel gives an overall monochrome look to the outfit since that covers most of the body. I’d rather those had been somehow split.

Posted by: Emmibolt.3928

Emmibolt.3928

OP: I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Considered getting it, but there’s already waaay too many trenchcoat options. It might even be called “Outlaw” as a set.

Still, I like the design and will probably buy it when it goes on sale.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632

DeanBB.4268

I’m still pondering buying it. I do like the look of it, but have enough outfits already. But, living in Arizona, there is a certain obligation, a certain duty, ya know?

Now, if the hat matched my cowboy hat, it’d be a done deal.

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

We’ve got outfits that look like heavy armour and ones that look like light armour and in those cases people have said part of the appeal is the ability to put it on characters who can’t wear the actual armour. For example if I want a ‘battlemage’ type character I can make an elementalist (or mesmer/necro) and put them in the Ceremonial Plated outfit or the Royal Guard outfit or something like that.

I think it makes sense to have outfits that look like medium armour for exactly the same reason. Sure if I want my ranger or engineer in a long coat I’ve got tons of options but if I want the same look on my mesmer? Maybe I could find a skirt that’s sort-of similar and dye it to look like part of the top…but this outfit is a far better option.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I bought it, and I’m happy with my purchase. My one complaint is that the bow on the male version of the outfit looks quite strange. I think it would look a lot better with a bolo tie, or even a colonel tie (thinner ribbon, longer than it is wide) would fit the look better.

Posted by: sevenDEADLY.5281

sevenDEADLY.5281

So I decided to fact check this statement. I went through all the medium armor chest pieces. I found 2, possibly 3 depending on your perception, “Itty Bitty Miss T*tty” armors as you so eloquently put it. I then proceeded to count 40+ trenchcoats.

Can I expect an update to your figures soon or nah?

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

Joshing around on another thread aside, yes. It’s a fantastic outfit and I wish I could afford the bundle.

I could break the bank and maybe get the outfit alone, but that pupper is a hard thing to pass up and it is a good deal…

I also want the UB gathering tools but if I chased both I’d be dead broke for real. My materials tab would be empty and I would be sad.

I don’t even want the entire UB tools bundle, I just want one, maybe two. I hope they sell them as individual pieces sometime.

But I digress. The outlaw outfit is really well done and I want to pick one up sometime.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You can get the puppy separate from the bundle as well, CE. I got just outfit and puppy as I didn’t care to shell out for the other items.

I feel you on the tools. I find myself only using axe and pick because the sickle is too slow, and I already could gather unbound. Huh, suppose I should go talk in the tools threads about all the ideas to turn them into skins and such, what happens to the gather time — does it stick with the skin? But I also digress!

Posted by: Palador.2170

Palador.2170

I like the outfit. It looks like well made medium armor, which is good for when I want a medium armor look on a non-medium character. No ugly shoulders, and a decent level of detail.

I also like that the outfit is nearly the same on both genders. I do wish the little bit of “flash” on the female outfit was gone. It’s just impractical. But, at least it’s minor.

I find myself only using axe and pick because the sickle is too slow, and I already could gather unbound.

The sickle is faster when there’s more than one hit on a node, as it takes up to 3 at a time apparently. This is useful on the nodes you can get in a guild hall, and I think some spots in WvW use those as well. Being able to gather faster in WvW might make for a small but important reason to use that one for some people.

Sarcasm, delivered with a
delicate, brick-like subtlety.

Posted by: LadyRhonwyn.2501

LadyRhonwyn.2501

It looks nice, but I don’t like my characters to turn bald…

Posted by: Caedmon.6798

Caedmon.6798

Yes, there were not enough trenchcoats, we needed an outfit with one.
FANTASTIC design there Anet, much imagination/variety in your designs. It’s either giant shoulderpieces or trenchcoats.

There was no skin like this available for heavys to use,so i am glad with this one.I just wish it were seperate pieces so i could mix match some up.I think the design is really well done,even on a maxed out norn it doesnt look oversized and it doesnt turn you into a fat blob either.Think it looks really slick.

(edited by Caedmon.6798)

Posted by: TempestMoon.5403

TempestMoon.5403

I’m very happy with this outfit! People can say what they want about “too many trenchcoats” but they don’t all wear the same or are as aesthetically pleasing depending on your race/class/gender. For me though, this one works. That’s not to say there aren’t a couple drawbacks such as the balding effect or the high sheen level, but seeing as how I typically hide helms/hats that’s not an issue and the glare doesn’t detract much from the overall look. While I did mainly buy this to have something nice for my Ranger to wear, if the rumored new elite specs stay true my F/Hu. Thief will be quite the looker rocking this with a Predator in her hands and a cute little outlaw pup by her side!

Posted by: Nikal.4921

Nikal.4921

It’s a nice outfit, in spite of being yet another trenchcoat, in spite of looking like it’s made of patent leather, but the baldness kills it for me. Won’t buy for that reason.

Posted by: Ashantara.8731

Ashantara.8731

It’s a nice outfit, in spite of being yet another trenchcoat

- Another trenchcoat (actually, for the first time, fitting for the theme)
- Another hat that provides baldness

Result: Don’t buy.

CETheLucid.3964

You can get the puppy separate from the bundle as well, CE. I got just outfit and puppy as I didn’t care to shell out for the other items.

I feel you on the tools. I find myself only using axe and pick because the sickle is too slow, and I already could gather unbound. Huh, suppose I should go talk in the tools threads about all the ideas to turn them into skins and such, what happens to the gather time — does it stick with the skin? But I also digress!

Yeah, but if I went that route I’d never be able to get the tools. I appreciate the heads up though. I dunno what I’m going to do.

CETheLucid.3964

Another hat that provides baldness

I do really wish there was some kind of default hair around the hat instead of flat out baldness. GW1 armors and outfits with hats did that much.

Hell maybe the hats/helms themselves can provide a different “style” in it’s own right? But if that’s too much, a basic hairline that shows on hats/helms would be plenty.

The only conflict I could see with this are people who actually use the bald character look… but I imagine it can’t be very many VS people who want their hair to still be there when they equip a hat.

Maybe a solution would be making it a dye layer/option per another poster and every color gives a hairline, but the default/dye remover color is the bald option?

They would have to be sure that all hair colors could also be dyes though and I think certain colors, especially newer ones don’t exist as dyes.

Even so, most creative people could dye it relatively close to their hair color… or just dye it a different color for the hat option just because.

DeanBB.4268

I bought the package this weekend. Chose the Immortal Pistols to go with the outfit. I rarely wear hats anyway, so the baldness doesn’t bother me — but it wouldn’t bother me if I chose to wear the hat, either.

I like it. I need to experiment more with dyes still, but that’s the nice thing about outfits, it’s all free now that I have it.

Posted by: Vephar.8475

Vephar.8475

It’s high noon.