Overflow Priorities

Overflow Priorities

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Decrypter.1785

Decrypter.1785

How does the Overflow system work exactly ?

A frustrating example which i hope is not true is People guesting to the best servers to get new content done , and taking Non guests Spots ?

Care to elaborate on this please Anet ?

[WM]give us in game ladder

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: TRON.1085

TRON.1085

They are not listening, the overflow system sucks especially with everyone guesting to one active server.

Is why I will not even look at that content, overflow overflow overflow….

Waste of time.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Waldir.2571

Waldir.2571

Just wait a few days… The content isn’t even that exiting. Don’t wait too long though, since it will probably be dead content before lonng

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

If you’re on an overflow while not guesting, you’re normally able to join your own server’s map by being in a party with people there and right-click them then select “join on <your-server-name>”.

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Overflow Priorities

TRON.1085

If you’re on an overflow while not guesting, you’re normally able to join your own server’s map by being in a party with people there and right-click them then select “join on <your-server-name>”.

Yeah sure you enjoy standing there doing nothing right clicking people in your party for the slim chance of getting into the main server from an overflow….over and over again…

45 mins later….still not in…

You enjoy that while I go play a game where I can actually play the content and have fun with friends.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

why don’t you ask your party and go guest to a lower end server? I’ve done that with 1-2 people in party with me, ..if things are very busy, we just agree to go guest rather than staying in our home server.

I do think this guesting really needs to be looked at though.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Everyone has a right to play the content they want. No one should have priority. If you ported into the zone 5 minutes before the boss starts, I don’t think you should get priority over the person who ported in an hour earlier. Even if you are from that server. First come first serve.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Phoenixlin.8624

Phoenixlin.8624

You are wrong. Totally wrong.

Home server players HAVE TO have priority against ANY guest.

Just because a random, jobless guest guy like to wait 894729824982 hours before an event, you cant kick home server’s players into overflow.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Lilith Ajit.6173

Lilith Ajit.6173

Just because a random, jobless guest guy like to wait 894729824982 hours before an event, you cant kick home server’s players into overflow.

I think you’re pretty wrong too.

A for instance: I’m a wife, home owner, teacher, etc. I have, let’s say, 2 hours to play on a Saturday night. My server, while a great server, does not have the cooperation to do Tequatl more than once or twice a day. So I sign on, quest to BG, go to Splintered coast, and wait.

Should I be kicked because some person from BG decides on a whim to get Teq 15 minutes prior to the event?

I don’t think so. If I was on BG and wanted to do Teq, I would go and wait, just like everyone else. Not feel entitled because I happen to be on the largest population server.

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?
Our blood has bought their lives.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: ToT.7018

ToT.7018

This will rumble on forever more with home players missing events.

I totally agree that everyone should be able to experience all the game and if guesting to a more populated server to do this then so be it.

I thought originally guesting was implemented so you could join a friend on another server so maybe that friend should invite you over first before you can guest.
Maybe join the low populated servers together to fill them up.

This ground has been covered several times before and i’m sure will be raised again in the future.

Overflow Priorities

TRON.1085

It encourages everyone to just jump to active servers to do the content rather then actually working together on their own server to do that content. Which causes overflows like crazy.

Why don’t people stay on their own server and work together to actually do this content? Rather than server hopping?

Why should we have to move servers because of guesters not doing it on their own servers? maybe they should stay on their own servers and work together instead of server hopping to do content?

Loads of players time is wasted because of this and because of guesters not willing to do the content on their own server.

Guesting and overflows system sucks and needs to be looked at by Anet asap. Forcing players to wait for hours to do content because of overflows and other silly problems with poor game design is a joke.

Better off not even doing the content or playing the game at that point while going off to play something you don’t have to wait for, are not locked out of content by others and is actually fun.

(edited by TRON.1085)

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Did you know that originally there was a thought that guesting might require you to have a friend on the server you were planning to go to?

Did you know that threads popped up with people saying if that is true, just add me, I’m on X server.

If they add a friend requirement, people will just do that. Get someone on the server they want to friend them so that they can go guest on their server to do an event. And it will solve nothing.

At least these LS bosses are spawning at set times and not in a window. And they chose less generally popular maps. Imagine if they chose Queensdale or Frostgorge given their zerg trains. Or Sparkfly Fen where there is already an overflow issue with Teq.

Home server people get priority on the overflow list than guests do so when disconnects happen and when people leave the zone, those who make that server home get first pick at that spot. And home server people can jump via their party members. Guests can’t. And you can jump via party as long as only the soft cap has happened (they initially cut off the zone early). So those of you who are coming in late and are in a guild, leave a spot open or don’t form your party until you are in the zone. That way one of you can ask a guild member if they are in the main server and to invite to party to bring you over. Then you can bring your friends over as long as none are guesting or the hard cap isn’t reached in the mean time.

But someone who is ON the main map should not be kicked to an overflow just because they’re a guest when the map gets full.

Since Overflows aren’t server specific and the bosses spawn at X times, I’m sure there will eventually be guilds that organize the events in overflows. And might intentionally create an overflow. Like is currently done with Teq.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Tsyras.5274

Tsyras.5274

Guesters should be kicked to overflow. AN should view this as an opportunity. If they FIX this problem (on BG you need to show up MORE than 2 hours before TTS to get a kill because of kittening guesters), then people would have to pay money to transfer.

Overflow Priorities

Lilith Ajit.6173

Guesters should be kicked to overflow. AN should view this as an opportunity. If they FIX this problem (on BG you need to show up MORE than 2 hours before TTS to get a kill because of kittening guesters), then people would have to pay money to transfer.

Heh heh I see what you’re doing there.

Unless this 2 hours ahead of time is a thing that happened this past week, I’ve guested onto BG merely 1 hour before he popped several times. Now understand me, this is not on a peak time like right after reset or whatever, because I could just go onto my own server’s Teq fight at reset, but I have never had issues.

Kittening guesters, hehehe.

(I’m just picturing swarms of cats attacking Tequatl because he smells like tuna.)

[ARES]
And all who stood by and did nothing, who are they to criticize the sacrifices of others?

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Taygus.4571

Taygus.4571

Is guesting limited? Like only once a week? Or only a few hours in a week?

If not, maybe it should be.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Is guesting limited? Like only once a week? Or only a few hours in a week?

If not, maybe it should be.

No, it’s only limited in picking different servers. As long as you go to the server you chose, you can guest as long as you want.

Overflow Priorities

TRON.1085

They need to do something because waiting around for hours just to do content because of others that are not even from your server is complete and utter bull****.

Overflow Priorities

Decrypter.1785

Well my point is im Original Blackgate and when new raid content like TEQ/WURM/Marrionette , comes why should i be placed in Overflows because of others taking my spot from other servers ? its not right

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

Based on my experiences, this is how it works. If you have your home server set to a popular one, like Black Gate (I do), then you don’t get to do popular events like Living Story on your home server unless you sit in overflow of that map for at least a few hours first.
Instead, you should pick an unpopular server for your home world so you can guest to whatever popular one you want… every single time you want to do a big event.

I almost feel like if I want to do Living Story IN Black Gate, I have to transfer my home server to somewhere OUT of Black Gate.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Astraea.6075

Astraea.6075

Well my point is im Original Blackgate and when new raid content like TEQ/WURM/Marrionette , comes why should i be placed in Overflows because of others taking my spot from other servers ? its not right

Even without guesting, high pop servers like BG would still generate overflows.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Subdue.5479

Subdue.5479

Based on my experiences, this is how it works. If you have your home server set to a popular one, like Black Gate (I do), then you don’t get to do popular events like Living Story on your home server unless you sit in overflow of that map for at least a few hours first.
Instead, you should pick an unpopular server for your home world so you can guest to whatever popular one you want… every single time you want to do a big event.

I almost feel like if I want to do Living Story IN Black Gate, I have to transfer my home server to somewhere OUT of Black Gate.

This doesn’t even make sense.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Mudfin.4637

Mudfin.4637

Yep. This is why guesting is one of those “innovations” that should have never seen the light of day.

People should get the folks on their server together to do the content or pony up and pay for a transfer.

Sibley Thorne – Necromancer – HoD

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Lpfan.3578

Lpfan.3578

You’re right, it doesn’t make sense.
My point is, my home world is Black Gate and I never get to do Living Story in Black Gate because I always end up in overflow. Then there are people who guest to Black Gate from other worlds and get to do the Living Story in Black Gate. It makes me feel like I should set my home world to something besides Black Gate, so I can guest to Black Gate and actually play there.

Overflow Priorities

Subdue.5479

You’re right, it doesn’t make sense.
My point is, my home world is Black Gate and I never get to do Living Story in Black Gate because I always end up in overflow. Then there are people who guest to Black Gate from other worlds and get to do the Living Story in Black Gate. It makes me feel like I should set my home world to something besides Black Gate, so I can guest to Black Gate and actually play there.

No, you misunderstand. Your statement is 100% misinformed. That is not how guesting works.

Overflow Priorities

Phoenixlin.8624

That is how guesting actually works nowadays.

The low/medium populated servers’ players should understand that you are leeching a system which is originally build for “playing with your friends”. It was not implemented to guest high populated servers to steal home server players’ spots and chests.

Removing guest system is not necessary but it should have some other restrictions. I will re-write my suggestion:

Players should be allowed to guest to “lower/medium” populated server. Not very high/high populated ones. Maybe there can be also clock limit implemented such a way that in the mornings till some xx time guesting is unlimited. But at prime times, guests in highly populated servers should be kicked and no more guests should be allowed to enter to this servers. Low/Medium populated servers does not need this restriction.

As a last note: I am from Desolation in EU and yes Desolation can fill a map with its own players and I am fine with it as long as servers’ own players are filling the maps.

(edited by Phoenixlin.8624)

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Blude.6812

Blude.6812

A for instance: I’m a wife, home owner, teacher, etc. I have, let’s say, 2 hours to play on a Saturday night. My server, while a great server, does not have the cooperation to do Tequatl more than once or twice a day. So I sign on, quest to BG, go to Splintered coast, and wait.

Should I be kicked because some person from BG decides on a whim to get Teq 15 minutes prior to the event?

I don’t think so. If I was on BG and wanted to do Teq, I would go and wait, just like everyone else. Not feel entitled because I happen to be on the largest population server.

Actually yes you should. Home peeps should always have priority.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

This will rumble on forever more with home players missing events.

I totally agree that everyone should be able to experience all the game and if guesting to a more populated server to do this then so be it.

I thought originally guesting was implemented so you could join a friend on another server so maybe that friend should invite you over first before you can guest.
Maybe join the low populated servers together to fill them up.

This ground has been covered several times before and i’m sure will be raised again in the future.

You are right and I agree 100%.

Basically some people want to feel special because they think they have right to be first since that is their server? Right…. I can pay 1800gems and it will be also my server. Whats the point if I want to do events on one server and play with friends on other 2 servers?

Am I worse than others because I’m not from this server but I will wait 1h before event and use that time to have fun with my 2 year old daughter?

Please people, think before you write and FEEL LESS ENTITLED TO BE BETTER THAN OTHERS so we can have fun together.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Septemptus.7164

Septemptus.7164

If you can have different home for 1800gems that that does not mean a thing.
I can whine whole day that all WvW guilds left Underworlds and we went from 15th position to 23th (or so) and we will fall even more I guess.

So what?
I could change my “home” when I want, so I don’t whine about that and you shouldn’t either just because you don’t want to gather platinum and wood for 1h waiting for TQ.
You are not entitled to be better because you call 1 server home, please remember that.

This game is for people to have fun. If you think that you have the only right to have fun on event because your server has more people that are good in events, please just change the game and allow others to have fun.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Blah blah blah. Anet needs to just break down and instance the raid content. TTS and the other pseudo guilds are already making it an instance, devs just need to go ahead and make it official.

Guesting and open tagging are perhaps the two biggest fails of this game.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

If you think it is not right, ask Anet to make the event scale down, so it is doable on overflows (normal overflows – i don’t count TTS generated ones here, as those are more like guild raid instances) and low pop servers.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Overflow Priorities

TRON.1085

9am in the UK on a thursday morning and still can’t do the content the past 24 hours because of being perma stuck in overflows 24/7.

Yeah im done gg.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: zMajc.4659

zMajc.4659

The situation is gettins seriously out of hand on desolation server where many in EU seem to guest for WB’s, We’re getting into overflow for SB, golem. fire shaman and similar.

And i tryed to zone in litteraly less then a minute the boss poped on timer.

They should limit guesting on another servers to a limited number of days per week at least if nothing else.

Overflow Priorities

TRON.1085

The situation is gettins seriously out of hand on desolation server where many in EU seem to guest for WB’s, We’re getting into overflow for SB, golem. fire shaman and similar.

And i tryed to zone in litteraly less then a minute the boss poped on timer.

They should limit guesting on another servers to a limited number of days per week at least if nothing else.

Agreed, guesting system is being totally abused and is having a pretty big impact on a lot of servers for a lot of the open world content in the game. Something needs to be done, I have friends who have just stopped playing because of being blocked from doing content and having to wait hours just to play. not just living story content but any of the main open world events.

Overflow Priorities

Astralporing.1957

I’m pretty sure those overflows are caused by your own population – which is quite significant. Most people don’t have a reason to guest to normal world bosses events (unless for time related purposes, but even then guesting to high pop server is not a good choice).

Actions, not words.

Overflow Priorities

Phoenixlin.8624

No, it is not our own population. I can count pretty much lots of guests in main maps(when I can enter).

Overflow Priorities

Lilith Ajit.6173

K. I’ll remember that when I’m spending my time in order to get into an event I want to, thus stealing your spot because you don’t want to spend the time. ^^

[ARES]

Overflow Priorities

Decrypter.1785

Ah well looks like its more raid content i wont finish like TEQ because i cant get into my own server because of guests , also why no reply on this anet ? its really kittening me off

Overflow Priorities

Subdue.5479

Ah well looks like its more raid content i wont finish like TEQ because i cant get into my own server because of guests , also why no reply on this anet ? its really kittening me off

Why don’t you guest to a lower population server then?

Overflow Priorities

Decrypter.1785

Oh Another fact ive noticed , Once meta Achivement is Done , people dont bother doing it anymore meaning if you missed out , then you wont get it done either

Overflow Priorities

Decrypter.1785

because lower pop servers dont have enough people to do it , kitten

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: PattyCakeChamp.5268

PattyCakeChamp.5268

If your on BG/deso it IS most likely your own population with a small % of guesters. Hell I’m on EB and we have overflows a lot. And who the hell guests on EB? Furthermore if I guest to any higher pop server and wait my time out, screw some pve scrub who waited too long to try and get in. Don’t be ignorant, plan accordingly. State your concern about the system not kittening rage all over the forums “its not fair!” and anet will consider the options it has and make a decision. Otherwise if this is that game breaking for you, PEACE

Overflow Priorities

Astralporing.1957

because lower pop servers dont have enough people to do it , kitten

Then that would be the real problem, don’t you agree?

Actions, not words.

Overflow Priorities

Phoenixlin.8624

If your on BG/deso it IS most likely your own population with a small % of guesters. Hell I’m on EB and we have overflows a lot. And who the hell guests on EB? Furthermore if I guest to any higher pop server and wait my time out, screw some pve scrub who waited too long to try and get in. Don’t be ignorant, plan accordingly. State your concern about the system not kittening rage all over the forums “its not fair!” and anet will consider the options it has and make a decision. Otherwise if this is that game breaking for you, PEACE

You are wrong. You are so wrong that I don’t even try to explain why.

Overflow Priorities

Seera.5916

No, it is not our own population. I can count pretty much lots of guests in main maps(when I can enter).

Please inform us how you are able to tell who is a guest and who is not.

I have a friend who is in one the guilds I am whose home server is neither my server nor the main server for the guild. Yet when he guests over, there is no indication by his name or anything that says he is guesting.

So please, how can you count lots of guests?

And people don’t do the events on their own server because they’ve tried enough other open world raid content to know there is a high chance of it failing due to too few people. And when people don’t have hours to play, they go to a serever that is more likely to have enough people to do the event.

Until ANet learns how to scale events down enough for the low active population servers, then this “problem” will continue to exist. Problem in quotes since I don’t view it as a problem. Just a few people who think they have the right to kick another player from the map they are on. Just because they came from another serever. And they don’t.

Overflow Priorities

Phoenixlin.8624

Because when you start “go home guests” chanting, they react =) Also, I can identify several different server’s guilds that I saw in WvW mostly.

Overflow Priorities

Seera.5916

Because when you start “go home guests” chanting, they react =) Also, I can identify several different server’s guilds that I saw in WvW mostly.

But not all and you can’t use who reacts in chat as a measure of how many their are. Not a big enough population size to extrapolate.

And did you not read what I said? Sometimes people aren’t in guilds that make a particular server their home world. Or the guild could have two branches. One in one server and one on another server. With guilds not being server specific you can’t use guilds to determine if people are guesting or not. If you’re sure that guild tag you’ve seen is a primarily WvW guild and not a “we do a bunch of everything guild”, then you could be right. But unless you’re sure that it’s a not a “we do everything and we just happen to be into WvW at the moment” guild.

Your methods of counting are not sever specific enough to really be considered accurate measures of number of guests.

The guesting is not the problem. Yes, it stinks to not be able to do an event on your own server. I get the frustration and I wish there was an easy solution that didn’t rely on ANet doing anything. But there isn’t. Because the problem is the events need too many people and don’t scale down so that a small group can do it. And that’s only something that ANet can fix.

The temples scale properly, or at least one of them does. My brother 4 manned Lyssa one day. If the open world raid content (Teq and now the new LS bosses) scaled down properly there would likely not be a problem short of that due to too many active people on certain servers and people playing with friends who happen to be on that server.

Blackgate does flirt with being Full so there could be situations where people have to guest to play with their friends if they are on that sever even if the person has the gems to transfer.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Cevlakohn.2165

Cevlakohn.2165

I honestly feel for people who are being sent to overflows on their own native servers, but you have to also remember there are people whose native servers are practically deserts in comparison, for whom guesting is pretty much the only way they get to experience this kind of open-world content that requires a large group of people. It’s kinda lose-lose.

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Fror.2163

Fror.2163

If your server is active in PvE, you will hit the overflow, no matter what. I estimate that the max value for some maps is somewhere between 80 and 120 people. Are you really sure that from the dozens of thousands people linked to your server (3.5 millions / 51 servers) there are less than 150 from your server wanting to participate in an event?

Frór (yes, with the accent!)

Overflow Priorities

TRON.1085

Log on today….

Overflow, overflow, overflow, overflow, overflow…

Teq, karka queen, wurm, living story events, all at the same time….overflow….overflow…overflow…

Rather play a game where I can actually play the content and not be negatively hindered and blocked from content by other players from other servers with my only choices being to stand there for over an hour “hoping” to get lucky enough to maybe get into the main server instance or constantly right click someone in party hoping to get lucky.

This is not even in primetime and still no reply from Anet on this issue just silence as usual. I guess this is the intended use of the guesting system right?

Overflow Priorities

Posted by: Tsyras.5274

Tsyras.5274

Anet needs to fundamentally change how guesting works (i.e. something along the lines of needing a direct invite from a friend for each time).

AT THE SAME TIME…fix these world bosses to scale down.