Overkill on Events

Overkill on Events

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Abakk.9176

Abakk.9176

Especially on events that are in a daily events area i often notice high level players using so much AOE. Waves of 10+ mobs get wiped out in split seconds.

For lower level players or players that just came running in on the event it is often not easy to get 1 shot in, in order to have the event count towards the daily.

What is also very common is that small groups of players often stand at mob spawn points and mass kill everything. Meanwhile other players are way back in the defended area (blue ring) waiting in vain for an attack (and a chance to score a kill).

As a maxed out player in a lvl 80 zone those are often valid tactics but in the lower zones is comes off to me as unnescessary overkill.

It’s not gamebreaking of course, just thought i’d mention it.

Overkill on Events

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

You need 1 kill to get bronze. You don’t need to stick around after just go around the map and there are more than enough events to get 4 in a short period of time. Also avoid the commander tag since this will be the focus of the zerg.

Overkill on Events

Abakk.9176

You need 1 kill to get bronze. You don’t need to stick around after just go around the map and there are more than enough events to get 4 in a short period of time. Also avoid the commander tag since this will be the focus of the zerg.

Yeah i know. That is why i don’t get them running along for the duration while AOE’ing everything around in 1 sec flat.

Looks rather silly seeing those flashy kitted out 100+ mastery giants cleaning house like that in a 1-15 zone.

Almost like they don’t want anyone else to get any loot or something.

Overkill on Events

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

With regard to interesting and immersive MMO game-play, the daily task which puts many scores of people onto low-level maps where they spam AoE where mobs are going to spawn is the most asinine design choice I’ve ever seen.

Overkill on Events

Posted by: Daddicus.6128

Daddicus.6128

You need 1 kill to get bronze.

This is incorrect. It’s hard to know the details, though, since ANet doesn’t tell us.

I think you need one kill that drops some kind of loot. Or, possibly one kill plus getting hit once. Or, revive someone downed plus get hit or kill.

Overkill on Events

Abakk.9176

With regard to interesting and immersive MMO game-play, the daily task which puts many scores of people onto low-level maps where they spam AoE where mobs are going to spawn is the most asinine design choice I’ve ever seen.

All in all i really like the dailies and the way they set it up. People broadcasting waypoints so that everyone can get in on the action. For me it has a definite genuine community feel to it. You are ‘in a group’ even when you are not. Feels like a warm bath after the mess that is WoW these days.

I tend to mix the dailies with a bit of leveling whenever the zone is right for one of my alts. I often run along for hours while gaining a bunch of levels and rewards . It’s very pleasant to me really.
So i am not really inclined to put any blame on the design per say.

The AOE spamming is something that a player decides to do tbh. I started using a single target approach for that very reason rather early. I am still new to this game but that is something i picked up really fast, seeing new people running in while i just AOE’d the mob blob in a second or two. It just didn’t feel right.

Single targetting totally fits in with the fast reviving, the waypoint broadcasting, someone taking the role of ‘commander’ with the tag and other general help to me.

And then along comes a bunch of ‘big wigs’ doing exactly the opposite. Maybe it’s not a big problem for most people, maybe the AOE’ers aren’t even aware of it.

It just strikes me as really ‘out of sync’ with everything else.

With luck, maybe this thread opened some eyes.

Overkill on Events

Posted by: Rauderi.8706

Rauderi.8706

Agreed. This worked better before when it was Regional events instead of a specific zone.
It’s not as bad on maps with decent meta events (Harathi, HoT maps, Orr), but in starting maps that just aren’t busy, or the nearly-dead 15-30ish zones? Horrible.

Many alts; handle it!
“I’m finding companies should sell access to forums,
it seems many like them better than the games they comment on.” -Horrorscope.7632