Overly Sensitive "Political Correctness"?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

Q:

Why are people overly politically correct?

• The Outmanned buff has been renamed to Outnumbered

Why was this change so important? I know as of late there have been states that have changed their constitutions, to even the US Government changing many law bills so that words with “man” in them are changed around.

What’s next? Are we going to replace the term “mankind” with “peoplekind”? How about “humans” just being completely replaced with “Earthlings”?

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

A:

Well, we are playing Sylvari, Norn, Asura and Charr who are not a part of mankind.

Posted by: smezmer.1206

smezmer.1206

maybe they felt outnumbered was more self explanatory?

Posted by: Yaos.4528

Yaos.4528

Outnumbered better describes the condition, outmanned could also mean one side is better at the game even if they have fewer players.

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Not sure. Is it worth complaining about?

Posted by: Serenity.6149

Serenity.6149

Goes both ways. Why are people overly sensitive to the mere possibility of political correctness?

Posted by: Spiral Architect.6540

Spiral Architect.6540

They should have just called it the “kittened” buff.

Posted by: Anakita Snakecharm.4360

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

There are a number of arguable practical reasons, like that there’s a second definition of “outmanned” that involves the other party being more masculine rather than more numerous, and that the game isn’t human-centric, but with that said…

Why was this change so important?

If it in fact isn’t an important distinction, why not err on the side of trying not to hurt people’s feelings?

It’s kind of illogical to state that the wording doesn’t matter in a thread complaining about a change to it. If it doesn’t matter, then who cares? If you care, then apparently it matters on some level.

That being the case, isn’t sensitivity generally preferable to insensitivity, especially when it’s an easy change?

(edited by Anakita Snakecharm.4360)

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

There are a number of arguable practical reasons, like that there’s a second definition of “outmanned” that involves the other party being more masculine rather than more numerous, and that the game isn’t human-centric, but with that said…

Why was this change so important?

If it in fact isn’t an important distinction, why not err on the side of trying not to hurt people’s feelings?

It’s kind of illogical to state that the wording doesn’t matter in a thread complaining about a change to it. If it doesn’t matter, then who cares? If you care, then apparently it matters on some level.

That being the case, isn’t sensitivity generally preferable to insensitivity, especially when it’s an easy change?

Because if they changed every tiny thing that hurt some person’s -or group of people- feelings, it would leave us with absolutely nothing. Everything would be censored and we’d see nothing but a big black bar….oh wait, that might offend someone, nix the black bar. Just leave a blank space instead.

The base definition of man:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/man

c : a bipedal primate mammal (Homo sapiens) that is anatomically related to the great apes but distinguished especially by notable development of the brain with a resultant capacity for articulate speech and abstract reasoning, is usually considered to form a variable number of freely interbreeding races, and is the sole living representative of the hominid family; broadly : any living or extinct hominid

That’s what the definition means when you say something like “mankind” and “human”. It an overall broadened term towards all on Earth, no matter sex, race, creed, religion, or whatever. We are all man. It’s the fault of other individuals if they interpret a singular piece of a word, and decide to take it out of context to read it as something it’s not.

Outmanned = There are more of those bi-peddle enemies than your team. There’s no definition of sex within that statement, nor should some be thinking it’s “politically incorrect” when they read it out of context (i.e. wrong).

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

It isn’t political correctness. It would be political correctness if it was called:

World-to-World Tactical Unit Imbalance

as “Outnumbered” is a discouraging term to use in combat.

Posted by: Sirge.8934

Sirge.8934

Do we know for a fact that the change was made for political correctness? It seems to me like they just decided outnumbered sounded better. I really can’t recall the last time I heard the word outmanned.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

As a man I object to the removal of my male supremacy. All women are sexist for not acknowledging men are the superior sexe.

/sarcasm.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

I want my buff to say “Outnorned”.

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

They should have just called it the “kittened” buff.

LOL, I support this. XD

Posted by: Allisa Wonderland.8192

Allisa Wonderland.8192

Outdone. Really have to dig deep into the complaint idea jar tonight, don’t you? Wow.

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Not sure. Is it worth complaining about?

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Posted by: pullnointer.1476

pullnointer.1476

Goes both ways. Why are people overly sensitive to the mere possibility of political correctness?

op has a point. tho it might just be for clarity’s sake.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

As a man I object to the removal of my male supremacy. All women are sexist for not acknowledging men are the superior sexe.

/sarcasm.

man
noun, plural men, verb, manned, man·ning, interjection
noun
an adult male person, as distinguished from a boy or a woman.
a member of the species |-|omo sapiens or all the members of this species collectively, without regard to sex: prehistoric man.

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

Kitten Sapiens? Look we’re talking about Humans here, not Charr.

pullnointer.1476

Well, we are playing Sylvari, Norn, Asura and Charr who are not a part of mankind.

Well, real world expressions have nothing to do with a random game’s lore.

pullnointer.1476

because there is an underlying assumption that there’s someone being discriminated against here.

pullnointer.1476

/sarcasm.

yes because women used to go to wars and hunt for food in prehistoric times.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

“Outcharred” would be okay as well.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Hahaha, or “Outzerged”!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

Because it can start to be downright patronizing after a while. Only a handful of women are crazy enough to actually be offended by words like “outmanned” or “mankind”. But the rest have to feel like they are getting patted on the head for something they don’t even give 2 craps about, like it’s some sort of victory.

It’s like someone bringing up a valid point, and then other people blowing the point so out of proportion thakittens silliness overshadows the valid complaint entirely.

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

Instead of an outnumbered buff at all they should have Asura posted at the exits to the spawn area that say “You really don’t want to go out there right now.”

#TeamJadeQuarry

Posted by: Emperor.1360

Emperor.1360

Instead of an outnumbered buff at all they should have Asura posted at the exits to the spawn area that say “You really don’t want to go out there right now.”

But would they be male or female asura?

Omnes stulti estis, quod putatis vos esse
intellegentes eximiosque, quamvis
non fuistis, vere non estis et eritis numquam.

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

In light of some of the more common complaints about WvW, perhaps for now it should say “out-zerged”

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

You’re crying about nothing OP, please don’t waste people’s time by causing trouble.

The new word makes much more sense.

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

Watch out, OP! We’ve got people breaking out the dictionary definitions! Shiz just got super serious!

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

Outmanned and outnumbered are synonyms.

Yes, it has been changed because of the reason you mentioned, OP.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

In light of some of the more common complaints about WvW, perhaps for now it should say “out-zerged”

Out-zerged it is then!

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I like the change

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

It never even occured to me that this could be seen as a political correctness thing.

I just assumed it was to clarify when you got the buff. Outmanned can be interpreted a lot of different ways (although I suspect it has it’s origins in exactly this situation, just in real life battles). In particular it can mean you’re scared or panicked, or simply that your opponent is better than you.

Outnumbered is much clearer and saves people having to look up why they’ve got it.

(Although I’d also be in favour of renaming it the ‘kittened’ buff, especially if it actually said kitten and not whatever was censored to make it say that.)

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

I suppose there’s not official word “zerg” in your dictionary, is there?

It’s a term of another game … maybe wrong to use it due to … politeness ?

Posted by: ProxyDamage.9826

ProxyDamage.9826

Anyone else found themselves reading this and going “Yep. This change is totally worth complaining about.” in their most sarcastic inner voice?

Personally I have a problem with PC when it actually affects anything, like censorship… But you know… fight the power… ! I guess.

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

The asura were gonna sue, so….

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

No this is not overly sensitive political correctedness.

It was an easy fix. Even if it was for PC reasons, the change was easy. An over the top reaction would be removing the buff, or something else which either a) takes a lot of dev time or b) has an impact on gameplay. This was neither.

I am sure it took ANet less time to change the name than it did for them to read this thread.

Posted by: PetricaKerempuh.7958

PetricaKerempuh.7958

outnorned?

but yeah, Americans don’t have real problems so they are making them up

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

because there is an underlying assumption that there’s someone being discriminated against here.

That’s a big stretch. Discrimination is a serious thing.

If you’re personally going to interpret “We didn’t word this as well as we could have” as “Whoa discrimination!” – well, that’s not really on ANet, that’s your own choice to view this in an exaggerated manner.

When you read things into it that weren’t said, you can’t expect everyone else to buy into your extreme interpretation and avoid things they would otherwise do to accommodate your assumption.

I think the new wording is better. Calling the old wording discrimination frankly strikes me as pretty silly nonetheless.

(edited by Anakita Snakecharm.4360)

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

it’s because gary roberts got a copy of the game, and EVERYONE was outmanned:

Attachments:

Anakita Snakecharm.4360

I would add that, gender issues aside, personally at a glance I would read “outmanned” as “overpowered” rather than “outnumbered” – and the dictionary definitions would suggest that interpretation is equally plausible.

So yeah, the new wording is just flat out clearer too. If the intention that you’re outnumbered, it makes more sense to just say that rather than using a more ambiguous wording.

pullnointer.1476

That’s a big stretch. Discrimination is a serious thing.

If you’re personally going to interpret “We didn’t word this as well as we could have” as “Whoa discrimination!” – well, that’s not really on ANet, that’s your own choice to view this in an exaggerated manner.

When you read things into it that weren’t said, you can’t expect everyone else to buy into your extreme interpretation and avoid things they would otherwise do to accommodate your assumption.

I think the new wording is better. Calling the old wording discrimination frankly strikes me as pretty silly nonetheless.

you completely misunderstood my point

Posted by: kRiza krimos.1637

kRiza krimos.1637

Perhaps Anet could introduce border where all men can go to be outwomaned…

On serious note, “outmanned” is term very often used in warfare so im puzzled why change it to something more self-explainatory.

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

Seriously? Someone might be offended by the word?

I doubt it was changed for that reason. More likely that Anet decided use of the more common word ‘outnumbered’ made more sense.

Posted by: SvenskNavi.9378

SvenskNavi.9378

Outnumbered is a bit more clear. You get the buff when the enemy has more numbers. Outmanned can mean more than just that.

Posted by: Laurelinde.4395

Laurelinde.4395

/sarcasm.

yes because women used to go to wars and hunt for food in prehistoric times.

/throws chum to the sharks
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/featured-article/2013/05/we-have-always-fought-challenging-the-women-cattle-and-slaves-narrative-by-kameron-hurley/

OP, yes, this change was so ‘important’ that they waited 11 months to change a tooltip and did so without any comment or fanfare. Who is being thin-skinned and oversensitive in this conversation: your hypothetical pearl-clutching strawfeminist, or you?

Laurelinde & Cookie/Beorna Bearheart
[TWG] – Gunnar’s Hold
Always remember Wheaton’s Law

Posted by: Contiguous.1345

Contiguous.1345

I notice that the word ‘sidekicked’ in the daily has been changed to ’mentored ’too.

No doubt there’s some deep and significant political purpose behind it.
If anybody needs me I’ll be in the cupboard under the stairs wearing my tinfoil hat.

Posted by: zerospin.8604

zerospin.8604

I know as of late there have been states that have changed their constitutions, to even the US Government changing many law bills so that words with “man” in them are changed around.

Good luck to them to try to fix the word ‘woman’ then

I wonder where that word came from. Women are people who woo men? xD

Posted by: Funset.7893

Funset.7893

I know as of late there have been states that have changed their constitutions, to even the US Government changing many law bills so that words with “man” in them are changed around.

Good luck to them to try to fix the word ‘woman’ then

I wonder where that word came from. Women are people who woo men? xD

There is a political correct word for woman, it’s womyn.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Womyn
I like the womban one. It sounds the most kittened.

Also there you can find explanation about the origin of the words “man” and “woman”, and why so many words contain the word “man” :
In Old English sources, the word “man” was gender-neutral, with a meaning similar to the modern English usage of “one” as an indefinite pronoun. The words wer and wyf were used to specify a man or woman where necessary, respectively. Combining them into wer-man or wyf-man expressed the concept of “any man” or “any woman.” Over time, wer-man was simplified to man while wyf-man developed into woman.34 Feminist writers have suggested that the less prejudicial usage of the Old English sources reflects more egalitarian notions of gender at the time.

Attachments: