[POLL] Feelings on Ascended weapons.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

I was conflicted. I’m a fan of getting to the power plateau and being able to just enjoy the game. It’s what I hoped for when coming to GW2. I don’t like the new ascended weapons. I hate how alt-unfriendly they are.

But I really love a lot of things about GW2. There’s certainly no MMO currently running or launching in the near future that looks like it will be nearly as good.

So how do I keep playing while letting ANet know that I hate their new level of gear?

I’ve been the occasional gem buyer. I don’t mind supporting a game that I really enjoy. I want, however, to play a game where I don’t have to keep updating gear to keep my set BiS.

So I’ve decided I won’t be buying any more gems until the three characters I have decked out in full exotics and ascended jewelry once again have a complete set of BiS gear. I’ll work toward replacing all of my exotic weapons (about 11 across the three characters), but not farm, because farming bores me to tears.

Since we’re getting ascended armor before the end of the year, it doesn’t look like I’ll have those 11 weapons before that patch hits, so I’ll continue to work toward the weapons and add the ascended armor to my GW2 to-do list.

Eventually, when those three characters have their full Ascended set, I will go back to supporting GW2 through the gem store.

Hopefully Colin’s dream of Ascended being final will come true, and there won’t be a new tier dropped into the game at that point.

Posted by: Haralin.1473

Haralin.1473

totally dislike it, i am forced to somthing i dont want. I am so enraged i deinstalled after patch, i like the game, but i dont want to grind to be competive in WvW.

Haralin Engineer
[Skol]

Posted by: Cassius.4831

Cassius.4831

I was conflicted. I’m a fan of getting to the power plateau and being able to just enjoy the game. It’s what I hoped for when coming to GW2. I don’t like the new ascended weapons. I hate how alt-unfriendly they are.

But I really love a lot of things about GW2. There’s certainly no MMO currently running or launching in the near future that looks like it will be nearly as good.

So how do I keep playing while letting ANet know that I hate their new level of gear?

I’ve been the occasional gem buyer. I don’t mind supporting a game that I really enjoy. I want, however, to play a game where I don’t have to keep updating gear to keep my set BiS.

So I’ve decided I won’t be buying any more gems until the three characters I have decked out in full exotics and ascended jewelry once again have a complete set of BiS gear. I’ll work toward replacing all of my exotic weapons (about 11 across the three characters), but not farm, because farming bores me to tears.

Since we’re getting ascended armor before the end of the year, it doesn’t look like I’ll have those 11 weapons before that patch hits, so I’ll continue to work toward the weapons and add the ascended armor to my GW2 to-do list.

Eventually, when those three characters have their full Ascended set, I will go back to supporting GW2 through the gem store.

Hopefully Colin’s dream of Ascended being final will come true, and there won’t be a new tier dropped into the game at that point.

Same. But we cannot be sure that there won’t be a new tier, since they’ve lied us before introducing the ascended tier.

Actually, we only can expect to get things worse because they have spoken several times about allowing characters to raise their level cap (source: http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/13tuac/im_the_studio_design_director_on_guild_wars_2_ama/c7762pk ). So someday we will find that there will be a new tier or maybe lvl 90 gear. And we will be forced to throw out all our equipment – again – for the glory of the Eternal Grinding.

The sooner we accept this, the better for us.

“Guild wars is for everybody, freedom is ascended, zerg is strength”
~ G. Orrwell, great shaman of the new flame legion, 1984 AE.

Posted by: Happyfool.8951

Happyfool.8951

Not sure how you managed to get 20g….
I flip/play AH sometimes, and I’m sitting on 95g, which is not a lot….. but thats over the span of weeks…. 20g in a day, few paths (where paths in gold yield <2.5g) seems a bit unbelievable.

some dungeons take only a small amount of time to complete.
AC p1/3. SE p1/3. CoF p1/2

We all do as we must to make our way in this world and unfortunately,
we have to do things others may qualify as “evil”.
~Krunch Bloodrage, Looking For Group

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

Awful.

No gear treadmills was one the central promises of Guild Wars 2. It’s not gone. It’s been a lie.

Sure they try to mitigate it by saying “Oh, it’s not a lot”, “Oh it’s just one set”, “Oh it doesn’t really matter” – well if it doesn’t matter, IT SHOULDN’T BE THERE!

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

New gear for no new content, anet’s logic is unparalleled. Not to mention the acquisition method.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

New gear for no new content, anet’s logic is unparalleled. Not to mention the acquisition method.

Well said sir, well said.
In other mmo or rpg games some new gear is created for harder content. And I do not think sab qualifies here.

Posted by: BurningEmbers.6172

BurningEmbers.6172

dat “Grind Wars 2”..i have no others words -_-
Now no time for WvW or SPVP… only GRIND GRIND and GRIND.
btw:all my friends leaved this game after 3sept. patch

(edited by BurningEmbers.6172)

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

I don’t really care. Having played several games with raid-centered endgame and a new uber gear tier (usually available ONLY to those who bothered with raiding) with each new raid/content update, this game just now adding a new tier of equipment (and piecemeal at that…no Ascended armor just yet) seems pretty to me by comparison.

GW2 was supposed to be different.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: CreativeAnarchy.6324

CreativeAnarchy.6324

I do not have a problem with ascended stats or gear.

I would like to see the infusion take on different and interesting effects.

I speak for my self and no one else. Only fools believe they speak for a majority.

Posted by: wmtyrance.3571

wmtyrance.3571

This is my problem with this game now. It wasn’t going to be about gear. It was going to be about content. This is why i spent 60 dollars for the game. It was going to be different. But get a few wow players on the boards QQ and they suck up to them and change the game. I will never go after Ascended gear ever and when they change the game and make it so you need this gear, well i’m gone. I had high hopes that these guys would have the guts to be different. I really liked this game alot but i see it turning into a gear wow copy all because of a few hardcore ex wow players QQ about no end game and gear. The gear that was already in the game was enough. I had just finished getting my last piece of exotic gear for my lvl 80 Ranger and felt like i really did it. Finally a max lvl character in a mmo for the first time and with gear and weapon to match and now all i had to do was wait for new content and explore the game world. Two weeks later Ascended gear treadmill began’s. Man i really miss the original idea of what this game was going to be. And when all these wow players get this gear does anyone think that will be the end of it? No because they will come right back here QQ again for more.

Posted by: Nilkemia.8507

Nilkemia.8507

I really don’t care enough to try getting this gear now. All the time-gating and materials requiring you to do some of everything (more or less) just makes it feel like a chore.That being said, as long as this is the final tier of gear, I won’t mind its existence too much. I just won’t bother with it.

(edited by Nilkemia.8507)

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

/15 characters and a few more for the heck of it.

Attachments:

The Burninator

Posted by: moonstarmac.4603

moonstarmac.4603

I will be honest, I dislike the Ascended weaponry because of the needless restrictions with them. IE Nerfing daily/monthly Karma by 90%, along with nerfing all forms of gaining karma period. The once per day per account per component craft grind. Yes overall ArenaNet failed miserably on the implementation of these new weapons. I love the stats and skins, I love the idea of having something you can work towards other than exotics. However, again, the implementation was horrible. The ability to obtain these items should’ve been more along the lines of how existing ascended items are, laurels and gold. Even if it was only to buy the necessary components to make it would’ve been better than the system now that will take most players 3-4 months, or more, to make just one weapon.

Overall the new skins are great, a new tier of weaponry, great, the grind to make it, horrible. As others have pointed out, this game is now more Grind Wars than Guild Wars.

Jade Council~ Jade Sea Haven [JADE]
System – Luna One: R-Matrix
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/Ny4qqs

Posted by: Lambros Augustus.6594

Lambros Augustus.6594

I think the more apt and appropriate question is do i like the process of getting crafting leveled for ascended gear. And to that my response is I kittening hate it. 50 lvls of crafting don’t kittening need to be there. Multiply that out by eight down the road for all armor and weapons. Thats 400 lvls of crafting kittening exotics which I already kittening crafted. This is kittening exceptional bullkitten on every kittening exceptional level.

Instead of fixing the kittening problem with the ugly kitten precursors they kittened up the situation even more. If you were working for me and you came up with this design you would no longer be working for me. Thats how I kittening feel.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

You know I remember an interview from pre-beta in which one of the devs said something along the lines of “in most MMOs, you have to craft a bunch of useless stuff before you get to craft the things you actually want. We don’t want to do that, we want our players to feel like every item they craft is useful”

> Add arbitrary 50 (one could argue 100) levels of junk that’s there just to cost you loads of mats.

You can guess what’s my stance on the matter.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Posted by: Red Falcon.8257

Red Falcon.8257

Getting crafts to 500 doesn’t involve any grinding.
Buying out your crafts to 500 quickly by just buying mats does.

You can still ditch the crafting and go champ hunting, or do WvW, to get them.
You can still play the game normally, sell your earnings to buy mats to level crafts and craft AWs.

Grinding is when, by definition, the only way to achieve something is to repeat the same action over and over.
This is objectively not the case.
Ironically, getting ascended rings was the case (you HAD to repeat fractals to get them), and yet this is receiving more complaining.

Welcome to gaming forum’s logic.

Posted by: Lambros Augustus.6594

Lambros Augustus.6594

Well the logic is I am sick of kittening grinding. Thats my kittening logic. I did my kittening fractals got all my rings. I can do this kitten too but I dont kittening kittening kittening want to.

And not so long ago you were mocking us with only blues and greens falling from chests even now arah your banner dungeon blues and kittening greens from the godkitten ed chests. kitten you.

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Getting crafts to 500 doesn’t involve any grinding.
Buying out your crafts to 500 quickly by just buying mats does.

You can still ditch the crafting and go champ hunting, or do WvW, to get them.
You can still play the game normally, sell your earnings to buy mats to level crafts and craft AWs.

Grinding is when, by definition, the only way to achieve something is to repeat the same action over and over.
This is objectively not the case.
Ironically, getting ascended rings was the case (you HAD to repeat fractals to get them), and yet this is receiving more complaining.

Welcome to gaming forum’s logic.

I guess that by your definition Legendary weapons aren’t a grind? Because guess how 90% of the players that own one or more got them

By the way by your own definition getting a weapon from CoF is a grind (you have to repeat CoF, there’s no other choice) while an item that costs 1k globs of ecto isn’t because you get ectos from many sources.

Talk about stupid logic.

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

(edited by Wolfheart.1938)

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

I do not have a problem with ascended stats or gear.

I would like to see the infusion take on different and interesting effects.

They will take such interesting effect as +11 to stat…instead +5.

Colin Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”

Posted by: Neve.7134

Neve.7134

Don’t like them. I gave up gearing all my alts with ascended gears

Posted by: Pray For Kosmos.5849

Pray For Kosmos.5849

yes. ascended gear sucks. this is the reason i don’t play the game anymore. now i play neverwinter. but wait, you may be thinking why are you playing that game? it’s pay to win, has a gear treadmill, etc. But WHY?? Reason is simple—the game is trash and i know it. guild wars 2 was supposed to be a revolutionary game and now it’s trashy like other MMOs.

Posted by: sanictoofast.9317

sanictoofast.9317

my brrzrrkrr warrior hungers for more damage, MOAR DAMAGE!
my damage will not end where your feelings begin

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

What is the point of these? Anet doesn’t care because insanely overpriced items such as ascended/legendary (that are 100% craftable and not acquired by doing endgame content) incites people to spend real dollars on gems. So you like it or not, you’ll only be getting some more of it in the months/years to come.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

OP,

I applaud your enthusiasm, but mate, I’m under no delusion whatsoever that anyone at ArenaNet cares about this. They keep their thoughts close, and only ever comment on very, very positive, sunshiney threads.

Posted by: Jabronee.9465

Jabronee.9465

OP,

I applaud your enthusiasm, but mate, I’m under no delusion whatsoever that anyone at ArenaNet cares about this. They keep their thoughts close, and only ever comment on very, very positive, sunshiney threads.

Yes indeed.
What was said, WILL be implemented.
No matter what we discuss, it will just be forgotten or faded in time.
Even for threads that go for miles and miles.

In short its like saying No Discussion Needed but We are Happy to hear your voice.
GW2 Forum is like having a meeting but everything had been finalised before the meeting.

(edited by Jabronee.9465)

Posted by: Tiger.7506

Tiger.7506

All game forums are full of negativity, because the people having fun ( 90% ) are playing.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

All game forums are full of negativity, because the people having fun ( 90% ) are playing.

I’m having fun posting!

Posted by: Antiriad.7160

Antiriad.7160

Hm, approximately this: Everyone who supported (Linsey Murdock) and allowed (Colin Johanson) ascended items should be kittened and then fed to the crows.

Colin ‘The Liar’ Johanson: “Everyone, including casual gamers, by 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on equal power base.”

(edited by Antiriad.7160)

Posted by: Draco.2806

Draco.2806

A common fallacy. Simply put, you can’t know that.

Posted by: TainoFuerte.8136

TainoFuerte.8136

Very bad feelings, for all the many reasons already stated. I am additionally offended because to me it feels like a bait and switch. Anet will no longer have any monetary support from me.

Posted by: Gibson.4036

Gibson.4036

you don’t NEED to have ascended gear, you also don’t need to complain about nothing on the forums but you’re here anyways. you will continue playing and continue paying goyim

I don’t NEED to keep playing, and I don’t NEED to keep paying.

For the moment, I’ve decided to keep playing, but I’m no longer paying. I’m glad the game is B2P with a cash shop for just this option.

Posted by: MikaHR.1978

MikaHR.1978

If the poll isn’t rigged than it’s at the very least, not fair on the grounds simply because it’s here in the forums, not taken by people playing the game.

There is a completely different mentality by the masses playing the game compared to those here on the forums. The forum participators are a small fraction of the actual playerbase and as we’ve seen for some time now, it’s mostly negativity.

Not to devalue those complaints, but most of them are players misunderstanding ANets intentions and purpose of the games features, including Ascended gear. And I find it also disturbing the increased amount of players under the illusion, not just here in GW2 forums, but all gamers, that they think they know better about game designing than teams of game designers.

AND on top of that, most complaints I’ve seen and complaints against Ascended gear are motivated not out of what’s best for the community or developer, but their own selfish desires of what they want instead of what’s good for the whole.

Simply put, this poll is bullkitten to me. And if ANet were to actually remove Ascended gear, it would be worse for the GW2, the developers reputation, and for the industry in my eyes.

*Also interesting how there are apparently, hundreds of votes and only a handful of actual comments here. Doesn’t look suspicious at all right? >.> *

Trail of failed MMOs is pretty scary.

Every AAA MMO since WoW failed.

Posted by: Sollith.3502

Sollith.3502

I personally don’t like ascended gear and how it is obtained currently; mostly for the reason that it is just making it harder to change up builds.

At this point though, they can’t really remove it though… it would hurt things more than fix them.

(edited by Sollith.3502)

Posted by: Iason Evan.3806

Iason Evan.3806

I really think that new materials should have been added for the other inscriptions. It was a lazy choice on ArenaNet’s part. They could have done it a few ways.

A.) introduce new t6 mats to the open world. those could have then been used for new legendaries that will come out soon.

B.) combine a few mats in the forge to get new t6 mats that then can be used to make new statted exotics and inscriptions for ascended weapons(and then the new legendaries as well)

C.) Take the 200 token items that were added recently to make the dungeon jewelry for the rare dungeon jewelry recipes and use those to get an inscription. these could have granted a 100% chance of an inscription for the forge with a recipe. Salvaging a recipe from a weapon with the new stats on them has been wildly hit or miss. Some weapons give a ton of the inscriptions while others never seem to drop one.

D.) The way of getting the new inscriptions was pretty awfully implemented and explained. There is ZERO explanation on the new ascended weapon inscriptions that you can’t craft an exotic Dire, Magi’s or Shaman’s etc. Spending all that karma on a recipe or two to then NOT be able to see it in the discovery window because it doesnt exist is super frustrating to say the least. It felt really rushed and sloppily implemented and explained and turned me off to the whole process especially when karma got drastically reduced in how much we get in the way of rewards.

Leader of The Guernsey Milking Coalition [MiLk] Sanctum of Rall