POLL: Would you like level cap to be raised?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

YES, only in big expansions. I don’t see the POINT of launch an major expansion without leveling. I don’t like the fact that leveling is only in the first 1/2 weeks of the game, when we reach 80 leveling doesn’t exist anymore forever?

How will an big expansion work without leveling? Will be limited to exploring? —’

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

YES, only in big expansions. I don’t see the POINT of launch an major expansion without leveling. I don’t like the fact that leveling is only in the first 1/2 weeks of the game, when we reach 80 leveling doesn’t exist anymore forever?

How will an big expansion work without leveling? Will be limited to exploring? —’

Guild Wars had 3 major expansions after initial release. None of them raised the level cap.

Posted by: Dragon Relic.8216

Dragon Relic.8216

No, Many of the reasons stated above

Posted by: ASB.4295

ASB.4295

It’s a pretty good way to give players a sense of meaningful progression, unlike skin and title fluff. It’s not necessary with gear progression already in the game, but it would be pretty shortsighted of ANet to not implement it, especially if the resistance to ascended gear hasn’t dissolved by the end of the year. If they for some reason decide against it, and are afraid to add more gear because of the complaints, the only other alternative for them to keep real progression alive and players playing is through titles that increase skill power with higher ranks. They did it in GW1, but you could max them all pretty fast, too fast for a lasting sense of progression, except maybe for the kurzick and luxon titles.

So yes to higher levels and more real progression.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

It’s a pretty good way to give players a sense of meaningful progression

Only because it’s generally used as some sort of universal gating mechanism.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Christ Whiteside (i think it was) said that GW1 was stagnate in it’s limited progression.

How can he possibly say that when the success of that game allowed them to develop this one? How stagnate could it possibly have been when it was Anet’s most successful title?

Well Guildwars 1 did have stagnant progression, the level cap was the same from release. And I think Guildwars 2 is their most successful title.

And you would be wrong.

Posted by: Asglarek.8976

Asglarek.8976

Its a pretty clear indication that the forum consensus is a resounding NO to level increases so it will definitely happen because ANET thinks forum post are not indicative to the overall opinion of players. We shall see.

Posted by: HawkMeister.4758

HawkMeister.4758

Y E S !

Ha! Take that hivemind!

Actually I would love to have 10 more points to spend in the Traits window.

As for the power-creep problem, we already have it with fractal jewelry and the coming fractal armors.
To mitigate that a bit, new LVL90 runes and sigils etc. should be introduced instead of whole new sets of boosted lvl90 equipment.

Polish > hype

(edited by HawkMeister.4758)

Posted by: Narkosys.5173

Narkosys.5173

If it is in an expansion I dont care cause I wont buy it.
Anet has done some horrific things and made significant changes to the game and threw out founding principles. They attack a players ability to make gold at every turn and force you to play their way or not to play at all or better yet buy gems.
The live service stinks and their ability to read what is going on in game borders on incompetent.
When they get off their high horse fix the above and deal with the bad RNG and keeping players poor policy I may but considering their track record No.
So no I dont care what they do I doubt I would support them unless I can buy it with gems I refuse to give them any money again.
My vote is horizontal progression no more stupid VP gated content and BiS equipment dolled out for playing their way.
How about you let me play my way – let me make gold and have fun. I then in turn support you by buying gems cause I am happy. Now you have resentment.

(edited by Narkosys.5173)

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

I would like it to remain at level 80, but it was already confirmed BEFORE launch that there would be level cap increases in the future:

Sept 22 2011
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/19473-interview-gw2-qa-cd-projekt-conference/

Oct. 6 2011
http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/19873-level-cap-increase-in-expansions/

Most recently on Nov. 26 2012
http://www.gamefront.com/guild-wars-2-level-cap-raise-confirmed-for-future/

Even with a level cap increase, as long as level scaling keeps being tweaked, I really don’t see an issue. The only real problem would be the acquisition of new max level gear, but we knew that way before launch.

The make or break will be the ease of acquisition. I hope they learned from FotM and are learning from the laurels.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: Venirto.4208

Venirto.4208

Y E S !

Ha! Take that hivemind!

No comment.

GW1 had the same level cap through all 3 expansions and it was fine. I don’t see the point of going beyond lv80.

Posted by: Danicco.3568

Danicco.3568

YES

Just because I’d love to be OP with 20 more trait points, I’d have the perfect build!

Chuo.4238

To be honest, I think that if ANet had stayed with a low level cap philosophy (say 20 or 30), they wouldn’t have had to spend so much time working sidekicking and balancing higher level areas, and could have instead focused more on making good, quality content. Perhaps it wouldn’t have taken so long for GW2 to be developed either.

I HATE levelling. I just want to play the game, and when I can’t do something with an alt unless I take weeks to level it, I get turned off.

I’d soooooo much rather have good, fun content over having to level. Yawwwwwn. Another levelling game. Joy.

Posted by: LameFox.6349

LameFox.6349

No. I don’t even enjoy going from 1-80, I’d have more fun playing the game if it was like PvP and I could just focus on gameplay and collecting stuff I like rather than having to upgrade this thing or that thing in order to progress.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

To those who don’t like leveling, why do you play MMOs? Why did you play Guild Wars 2 in the first place?

Because i liked GW1, and the devs promised me that everything i liked in GW1 will be in GW2?

Yeah, i know, they didn’t really keep that promise, but i can still hope.

They probably didn’t keep that promise because they never made that promise. If they did, prove it. Every single post that I’ve seen from the time they knew they were making a sequel and onward stated that the sequel would be very different from the original.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

To those who don’t like leveling, why do you play MMOs? Why did you play Guild Wars 2 in the first place?

Because i liked GW1, and the devs promised me that everything i liked in GW1 will be in GW2?

They probably didn’t keep that promise because they never made that promise. If they did, prove it. Every single post that I’ve seen from the time they knew they were making a sequel and onward stated that the sequel would be very different from the original.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ArenaNet's_MMO_Manifesto_trailer

Mike O’Brien: “We founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity to question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions. If you love MMOs, you’ll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs, you’ll really want to check out Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees.”

So yeah they kinda promised that. The things a whole lot of people loved about GW1 was no mandatory gear grind, low level cap, GvG. None of those are ingame. So what did they think we loved about GW1.

Chuo.4238

So yeah they kinda promised that. The things a whole lot of people loved about GW1 was no mandatory gear grind, low level cap, GvG. None of those are ingame. So what did they think we loved about GW1.

I don’t know, and I’ve often wondered.

Pretty much everything that I loved about Guild Wars is NOT in Guild Wars 2. And the changes they made are, in huge proportion, for the worse.

Posted by: Aly.3429

Aly.3429

YES – In time of course, but not yet and Only if the increase included multipule areas of higher levels. Eventually this game will have to add in more vertical progression or it will die.

Posted by: Kolache.3964

Kolache.3964

NO

If ANET actually managed to release a major expansion without increasing the level cap I think I might actually have a bit of my faith restored in them. Unfortunately that seems highly unlikely at this point.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Mike O’Brien: “We founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity to question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions. If you love MMOs, you’ll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs, you’ll really want to check out Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees.”

“Takes what you love about Guild Wars 1”

A. Subjective statement, you don’t necessarily love the same things about GW2 that other people do, or that the speaker does. Nor are you the authority on whether or not those things are in Guild Wars 2.

B. Not a promise, a design goal, and he lists what will be different immediately succeeding this statement. So you knew exactly what was coming, and ignored it. Persistent story, check. More active combat, check. Personalized storyline, check. Event system, check. No monthly fees, check.

Show me where he says ‘we promise that Guild Wars 2 will be nearly an exact copy of Guild Wars 1’ and I will concede your point.

(edited by Conncept.7638)

Posted by: Xovian.8572

Xovian.8572

Nope. It’s really not needed.

I do think it would be a good idea to expand and build on the current trait system, such as adding more traits per line. The bigger this gets, the more possibilities.

We can still have more and more character customization, it does not require new levels to achieve them.

Posted by: Dikeido.8436

Dikeido.8436

I log in just to say NO.

Posted by: Fyrebrand.4859

Fyrebrand.4859

I don’t know how to answer.

I don’t necessarily desire a level cap raise, but nor would I have a problem with it if they integrated it well.

The thing is, when you reach max level, there is a significant gap in terms of what you have to “work on” for your character. It’s tough to feel a sense of direction. What I do want to see in an expansion is some new avenue of character development and advancement, whether that be in terms of stats and abilities, or social standing and privileges, or something. I want a direction to take my character, and the ability to set both short and long-term goals.

Posted by: xCrusadentx.2784

xCrusadentx.2784

I don’t think they ever said anything of the sort. It should have been clear the moment that there were 80 levels announced that the game was going to be very different in terms of character progression.

Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees.
Mike O’Brian, GW2 manifesto.

Everyone is different; lets say someone didn’t like something about Gw1 that another person does; then what? Its subjective, can’t please everyone.

Royal Blood Oath:
We are sworn together by our blood…

Posted by: Morpeth.5318

Morpeth.5318

No. Hell no, Frack no, no eff1ng way, no, no, no. And NO.

If I want another highly grindy game, where I’m constantly trying to level my alts up to the new cap, and get yet another set of gear, I’ll go back to WoW.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

I don’t think they ever said anything of the sort. It should have been clear the moment that there were 80 levels announced that the game was going to be very different in terms of character progression.

Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees.

I think quoting the manifesto at this point is an exercise in ignorance.

Posted by: redhare.9210

redhare.9210

to be honest I would have prefered the Level cap to have been 30. As this is not the case 80 is great. I mean Zhaitan was beaten by level 80’s why should he be weaker in power than any of the others.

Posted by: gennyt.3428

gennyt.3428

The “GW2 takes everything you love about GW1 and..” is clever marketing (maybe a little shady) because apart from the lore and no sub, I can’t think of anything here from the original (low level cap, horizontal progression, dual prof/skill diversity, free travel, GvG, heroes etc etc) whether the player enjoyed those features doesn’t even matter, none of them are here.

It doesn’t sound good but forget anything you’ve read in the manifesto. GW2 needs to make up its mind and clearly communicate about what it wants to be and who it’s trying to appeal to because it can’t grab and hold on to everybody.

Whispers with meat.

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

“Takes what you love about Guild Wars 1”

A. Subjective statement, you don’t necessarily love the same things about GW2 that other people do, or that the speaker does. Nor are you the authority on whether or not those things are in Guild Wars 2.

B. Not a promise, a design goal, and he lists what will be different immediately succeeding this statement. So you knew exactly what was coming, and ignored it. Persistent story, check. More active combat, check. Personalized storyline, check. Event system, check. No monthly fees, check.

Show me where he says ‘we promise that Guild Wars 2 will be nearly an exact copy of Guild Wars 1’ and I will concede your point.

A. Yes it is subjective, hence me asking what they thought we liked about GW1. Did you actually read anything I wrote or did you just like to bash.

B. I didn’t ignore anything, nor did I state what I liked about GW1, but you sure do like to jump to conclusions do you.

C. I’m not going to show you anything. You can’t be persuaded by anything anyone says.

Posted by: SerMahad.4813

SerMahad.4813

NO. Hell no.
More levels would just mess up with equipment balancing, and more trait points would just lead to some overpowered builds.
Added regions from expansions don’t need to be lvl90 or something to be interesting. They could even be 30 or 40ish.

My Mom Thinks I’m Special [MTIS] – Piken Square

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

NO.

Adding levels does not add content, and adding levels in addition to new content is meaningless in the level scaling system they have implemented. It’s just another gating mechanic that no one likes.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

“In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.” Mike O’Brien (Not Brian)

“We have never said there would be no vertical progression. We do intend to focus on horizontal but we will have vertical progression moving forward with the focus on zero grind and a very low power curve.”
Chris Whiteside

Arenanet doesn’t want to keep the same design that they did for Gw1, If they wanted to they would have just continued to make expansions. This game was meant to have those progressions.

(edited by Martin The Brave.8731)

Posted by: Rampage.7145

Rampage.7145

NOOOOOOO [Cut by Moderator]

(edited by Moderator)

Orion.7264

“In GW1 we never advanced the level cap through four campaigns/expansions. The game design didn’t allow for it. But GW2 was designed without those restrictions, and we’ve always expected that we will someday raise the level cap in GW2.” Mike O’Brien (Not Brian)

“We have never said there would be no vertical progression.”
Chris Whiteside

Arenanet doesn’t want to keep the same design that they did for Gw1, If they wanted to they would have just continued to make expansions. This game was meant to have those progressions.

I’m sure they always intended for them, but I think that we can all agree that Anet is not infallible. With the system the way it currently is, it just doesn’t make much sense to increase level caps through expansions. What would you gain? A cosmetic number increase. What would it cost?

Mandatory replacement of all gear. (assuming they introduce new gear for those levels)
Either horrific imbalance of power due to OP trait combos available with more trait points, or a time-consuming hassle of figuring out how to rebalance traits (assuming levels offer trait points)
More complaints of “treadmill” and “gated content”, especially by players with multiple characters who now have to go through several times the work of one-player characters to stay relevant.
Possible further tweaks to scaling system.
More complaints of “stale content” and “no endgame” by players, as development has spent more time working on leveling content and less time working on content for max-level characters.

That’s just what I can come up with off the top of my head. Honestly, the game is designed in such a way that increasing level caps wouldn’t really add anything. It’d be more hassle than it’s worth, and it’d make a large portion of players frustrated. Even assuming that we can knock off those two conditional possibilities I listed by saying there will be no new gear, and no new trait points awarded, that just means that leveling becomes absolutely meaningless as there would be no difference between a level 80 and level 90 character (except possibly for base health, which I think increases independently of attributes directly via leveling). The only crowd that this would appeal to would be the compulsive hamster-wheel players who don’t know what to do with themselves if they’re not constantly leveling, and I’m not sure how much of the playerbase they represent, but I’d bet gold to copper it’s a very small portion.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: cherrie.8907

cherrie.8907

Everyone is different; lets say someone didn’t like something about Gw1 that another person does; then what? Its subjective, can’t please everyone.

Name, lore and no sub, these are the only things GW1 and GW2 have in common, hence it’s pass subjective.

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
-Mike Obrien
“We don’t need to make mandatory gear treadmills” -Colin Johanson

Martin The Brave.8731

“We have never said there would be no vertical progression.”
Chris Whiteside

I’m sure they always intended for them, but I think that we can all agree that Anet is not infallible. With the system the way it currently is, it just doesn’t make much sense to increase level caps through expansions. What would you gain? A cosmetic number increase. What would it cost?

Mandatory replacement of all gear. (assuming they introduce new gear for those levels)
Either horrific imbalance of power due to OP trait combos available with more trait points, or a time-consuming hassle of figuring out how to rebalance traits (assuming levels offer trait points)
More complaints of “treadmill” and “gated content”, especially by players with multiple characters who now have to go through several times the work of one-player characters to stay relevant.
Possible further tweaks to scaling system.
More complaints of “stale content” and “no endgame” by players, as development has spent more time working on leveling content and less time working on content for max-level characters.

That’s just what I can come up with off the top of my head. Honestly, the game is designed in such a way that increasing level caps wouldn’t really add anything. It’d be more hassle than it’s worth, and it’d make a large portion of players frustrated. Even assuming that we can knock off those two conditional possibilities I listed by saying there will be no new gear, and no new trait points awarded, that just means that leveling becomes absolutely meaningless as there would be no difference between a level 80 and level 90 character (except possibly for base health, which I think increases independently of attributes directly via leveling). The only crowd that this would appeal to would be the compulsive hamster-wheel players who don’t know what to do with themselves if they’re not constantly leveling, and I’m not sure how much of the playerbase they represent, but I’d bet gold to copper it’s a very small portion.

I dont see why you posted such a long response for a post that was only two sentences of my own words. Understand it really doesn’t matter how you feel about a certain situation when the initial design was indeed designed to enforce a functionality. You may feel that it’s a “Treadmill” but you wouldn’t know that till you actually played it, the experiences that you occur from level 80-90 may be the best experience you’ve had with the game. Sure you may feel that level progression may not be needed, but Arenanet feel’s very different to how you feel. Arenanet has implicitly said that Guildwars 2 will indeed have an increase in the level cap with vertical progression, and to deny and complain that it shouldnt happen is simply dubious.

Orion.7264

I dont see why you posted such a long response for a post that was only two sentences of my own words. Understand it really doesn’t matter how you feel about a certain situation when the initial design was indeed designed to enforce a functionality. You may feel that it’s a “Treadmill” but you wouldn’t know that till you actually played it, the experiences that you occur from level 80-90 may be the best experience you’ve had with the game. Sure you may feel that level progression may not be needed, but Arenanet feel’s very different to how you feel. Arenanet has implicitly said that Guildwars 2 will indeed have an increase in the level cap with vertical progression, and to deny and complain that it shouldnt happen is simply dubious.

You’re reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. This had nothing to do with my feelings, and was absolutely objective. Anet may have designed the game with a certain idea in mind, but as we’ve seen many times in the past, those ideas are subject to change when it becomes apparent that they don’t fit the whole system as well as they had imagined. The game may have been envisioned with an increasing level cap, but for all the reasons I just stated, it doesn’t fit in well now. I’m sure Anet knows this and is more than likely discussing whether or not to go through on the original plan to include a level cap increase with expansions.

However, YOUR insistence that “because they said it once makes it true forever” is rather childish.

Arenanet lies.

Zeldain.5710

There is no question that the level cap will be increased… It wouldn’t make sense NOT to.

What I don’t understand is, if you enjoy playing the game… what’s the difference if there are more levels? You get them naturally through playing the game you supposedly enjoy.

Maybe that’s the core question here…. do players actually enjoy the game?

Chuo.4238

I WANT to enjoy this game…I’m really really trying hard to…

Orion.7264

There is no question that the level cap will be increased… It wouldn’t make sense NOT to.

What I don’t understand is, if you enjoy playing the game… what’s the difference if there are more levels? You get them naturally through playing the game you supposedly enjoy.

Don’t argue negatives. If the level cap needs to be raised, state why.

Arenanet lies.

Martin The Brave.8731

You’re reading comprehension leaves a lot to be desired. This had nothing to do with my feelings, and was absolutely objective. Anet may have designed the game with a certain idea in mind, but as we’ve seen many times in the past, those ideas are subject to change when it becomes apparent that they don’t fit the whole system as well as they had imagined. The game may have been envisioned with an increasing level cap, but for all the reasons I just stated, it doesn’t fit in well now. I’m sure Anet knows this and is more than likely discussing whether or not to go through on the original plan to include a level cap increase with expansions.

However, YOUR insistence that “because they said it once makes it true forever” is rather childish.

So you have resorted to personal attacks? As I’ve stated before Arenanet want’s to increase the cap, and they have the right to do so. Obviously they feel that the “Objective” reason’s that you emphasized do not outweigh the reason’s they feel that progression will make the game stronger. Sure they could change their mind, but they have not expressed this. But what if they dont? Will you continue to play the game if they add a new level cap? I mean for a person who has “Arenanet Lies” in their signature you seem to care a lot about how they deal with their game.

Posted by: Aziff.3248

Aziff.3248

I asked quaggan and he said NoOOOooo.

+1600 hours played as Asura Necromancer | Miniature Collector
Pain Killer [pK] | Blacktide EU | PVE: Corruptionmancer | PVP: Support Wellmancer

Posted by: Thrashbarg.9820

Thrashbarg.9820

NO

words, words, words, words……

5 pages of NO’s, someone probably made my points already…..

Basically, bigger numbers don’t make more fun (for me and those like me, anyway).

They should just come out with an app people can stare at all day which flashes increasingly larger numbers the longer you push buttons. That should satisfy whatever part of the rodent brain is satisfied by this illusion of “progression”.

Hats off to all the ones who stood before me, and taught a fool to ride.

(edited by Thrashbarg.9820)

Orion.7264

So you have resorted to personal attacks? As I’ve stated before Arenanet want’s to increase the cap, and they have the right to do so. Obviously they fill that the “Objective” reason’s that you emphasized do not outweigh the reason’s they feel that progression will make the game stronger. Sure they could change their mind, but they have not expressed this. But what if they dont? Will you continue to play the game if they add a new level cap?

Resorting to personal attacks would mean that I’m not offering anything else. The majority of my posts are logically-based; the personal attacks are just a little bonus thrown in for stupid people. "Obviously they (feel) that the “objective” reasons you emphasized do not outweigh the reasons they feel that progression will make the game stronger"… so you speak for Anet now? Or are you still just holding onto outdated statements that may or may not still apply? Of course they’re not going to express whether or not that still holds, because they haven’t even discussed expansion details yet. We didn’t even know that there had been professions called Juggernaut and Warden until they had long been removed; companies don’t feel the need to inform you of every single discussion they make until they reach a decision. I still see no one offering any sound reasoning of WHY an increased level cap would be beneficial in any way, so unless you can actually debate this with me, you can stop arguing. I have offered sound reasoning, you offer opinion and outdated quotes.

As for if I’ll continue playing if they increase the level cap, that would depend entirely on how it’s handled. At the very least, it would just be another mandatory frustration getting all my characters back to max. People don’t seem to realize that leveling =/= content; leveling is a gating mechanism to force players to move more slowly through content. Ever wonder why the story quests are spaced so far apart in level? Because otherwise they’d have had to make a lot more content. This way, you get speed bumps. That’s a remnant of game design left over from skinner box sub games, and GW2 has plenty of content (and good mechanics in place for keeping that content fresh and replayable, if they’d use them) to satisfy players without cheap tactics like that. And as I’ve previously stated, any leveling design and balancing takes away time and effort that could go into producing more actual content for people to enjoy.

Arenanet lies.

Martin The Brave.8731

Resorting to personal attacks would mean that I’m not offering anything else. The majority of my posts are logically-based; the personal attacks are just a little bonus thrown in for stupid people. "Obviously they (feel) that the “objective” reasons you emphasized do not outweigh the reasons they feel that progression will make the game stronger"… so you speak for Anet now? Or are you still just holding onto outdated statements that may or may not still apply? Of course they’re not going to express whether or not that still holds, because they haven’t even discussed expansion details yet. We didn’t even know that there had been professions called Juggernaut and Warden until they had long been removed; companies don’t feel the need to inform you of every single discussion they make until they reach a decision. I still see no one offering any sound reasoning of WHY an increased level cap would be beneficial in any way, so unless you can actually debate this with me, you can stop arguing. I have offered sound reasoning, you offer opinion and outdated quotes.

As for if I’ll continue playing if they increase the level cap, that would depend entirely on how it’s handled. At the very least, it would just be another mandatory frustration getting all my characters back to max. People don’t seem to realize that leveling =/= content; leveling is a gating mechanism to force players to move more slowly through content. Ever wonder why the story quests are spaced so far apart in level? Because otherwise they’d have had to make a lot more content. This way, you get speed bumps. That’s a remnant of game design left over from skinner box sub games, and GW2 has plenty of content (and good mechanics in place for keeping that content fresh and replayable, if they’d use them) to satisfy players without cheap tactics like that. And as I’ve previously stated, any leveling design and balancing takes away time and effort that could go into producing more actual content for people to enjoy.

A personal attack – Using an abusive remark to judge or define a persons character. You said that my comprehension of reading is questionable and you called me childish. If you are going to try to slander me atleast have the gut’s to own up to it.“so you speak for Anet now?” No, Arenanet speak’s for themselves it’s quite obvious they know all of the “Objective” reason’s why a level cap shouldn’t be raised, but they persisted to say what they did. This opinion was even voiced by the president himself “are you still just holding onto outdated statements that may or may not still apply?” These statement’s occured in November less than 3 month’s ago, If you believe they are outdated then what does that say about their manifesto,Is that also outdated? And why should I debate you? You are the one who responded to me, I’m not here to amuse your sentiments. And your second part of the post, Is just speculation you don’t know what Arenanet is planing to do with level progression it may not be a “Gate Mechanism”.

Orion.7264

A personal attack – Using an abusive remark to judge or define a persons character. You said that my comprehension of reading is questionable and you called me childish. If you are going to try to slander me atleast have the gut’s to own up to it.“so you speak for Anet now?” No, Arenanet speak’s for themselves it’s quite obvious they know all of the “Objective” reason’s why a level cap shouldn’t be raised, but they persisted to say what they did. This opinion was even voiced by the president himself “are you still just holding onto outdated statements that may or may not still apply?” These statement’s occured in November less than 3 month’s ago, If you believe they are outdated then what does that say about their manifesto,Is that also outdated? And why should I debate you? You are the one who responded to me, I’m not here to amuse your sentiments. And your second part of the post, Is just speculation you don’t know what Arenanet is planing to do with level progression it may not be a “Gate Mechanism”.

I did own up to it. You still fail at reading. I don’t know if you’re just mouthing the words and hearing the sounds, but you clearly don’t really know what they mean. All leveling is a gating mechanism; that’s what leveling IS. “You must be THIS high to do the thing.” Otherwise it’s meaningless, which means it shouldn’t exist anyway. Either it’s a gating mechanism, or there’s no purpose to it; either way I’m right.

Don’t bring the manifesto into this, I never said anything about it. And yes, quotes from months ago at the time they introduced a ton of content that they admitted was horribly flawed and are now in the process of fixing, those are outdated. A game is constantly changing, and viewpoints on it are constantly in need of adaptation.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

The “GW2 takes everything you love about GW1 and..” is clever marketing (maybe a little shady)

It doesn’t sound good but forget anything you’ve read in the manifesto.

I wouldn’t call it clever, so much as misleading. Purposefully misleading, at that.

And yes, quotes from months ago at the time they introduced a ton of content that they admitted was horribly flawed and are now in the process of fixing, those are outdated. A game is constantly changing, and viewpoints on it are constantly in need of adaptation.

Then that’s all the more reason to fill the forums with QQ.

That should satisfy whatever part of the rodent brain is satisfied by this illusion of “progression”.

Levels are easy to design and design around; few developers are able to safely abandon them. Anet has shown no ability to do so, either (allegedly did so in GW1, but we all know this isn’t GW1).

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

Zeldain.5710

Don’t argue negatives. If the level cap needs to be raised, state why.

I’ve done that from day one and ever since.

The level cap needs to be raised because that has been established as the de-facto form of character progression.

Not only does it take you handily through all of the zones, but it also progresses your personal story. With new zones, and presumably an extension of personal story, the well-established leveling paradigm would be used to continue that progression.

Players would be confused if it happened any other way, and rightly so.

Martin The Brave.8731

I did own up to it. You still fail at reading. I don’t know if you’re just mouthing the words and hearing the sounds, but you clearly don’t really know what they mean. All leveling is a gating mechanism; that’s what leveling IS. “You must be THIS high to do the thing.” Otherwise it’s meaningless, which means it shouldn’t exist anyway. Either it’s a gating mechanism, or there’s no purpose to it; either way I’m right.

Don’t bring the manifesto into this, I never said anything about it. And yes, quotes from months ago at the time they introduced a ton of content that they admitted was horribly flawed and are now in the process of fixing, those are outdated. A game is constantly changing, and viewpoints on it are constantly in need of adaptation.

“I did own up to it.” No you didn’t as you gave me a definition of the word “Personal Attack” that would have meant that it wasn’t. But what you gave me was a partial definition of Ad Hominem (Abusive/Circumstantial)“In an non debate setting”. And you continue you to do so, I mean honestly if you feel as if you are right what is the point in “trying” to debate me by using slander? Pertaining to the “Gate Mechanism” my point still stand’s increased level content may not be intended to bar players from a certain activity. It may indeed be used guide players into specific area’s of a zone. But that doesn’t mean that the higher level content is off limit to them. In the expansions the all the zone’s could be 80-85 and it would be completely plausible for players to do 85 content at level 80.

“Don’t bring the manifesto into this” I brought this up because you said that “Outdated may or may not still apply” This would mean all of their statements which are older than 2 months, may or may not be true. “introduced a ton of content that they admitted was horribly flawed” and what would that be? “viewpoints on it are constantly in need of adaptation” So? That doesn’t mean they changed their opinion.

Zeldain.5710

NO

words, words, words, words……

5 pages of NO’s, someone probably made my points already…..

Basically, bigger numbers don’t make more fun (for me and those like me, anyway).

They should just come out with an app people can stare at all day which flashes increasingly larger numbers the longer you push buttons. That should satisfy whatever part of the rodent brain is satisfied by this illusion of “progression”.

Most MMO players derive enjoyment from things other than “killing monsters”. The progression systems are very important to MMO players. It’s deeper than what most simple players need for enjoyjment.

You’re looking for simple “play” but there are layers in this genre that make that almost secondary, and rightly so.