POLL: Would you like level cap to be raised?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xapheus.1235

Xapheus.1235

Whatever.

They’re obviously going to get raised if you follow the interviews, and it doesn’t matter to me. I honestly don’t care since I’m all about content.

It seems like nobody remembers that GW2 was going to have an infinite level cap with diminishing power as you leveled. In essence, that is very likely how it will be.

League of Omnipotents [Omni] @ Fort Aspenwood

Posted by: Tolmos.8395

Tolmos.8395

So how would haveing it negative effect you.

• Make current level 80 content obsolete, especially in the area of rewards
  • Make all current armor obsolete, resetting the gear grind from start so we can do it all over again
  • And that gear grind will be AFTER the new level grind, which all players will be subjected to
  • Introduce a power creep far worse than anything ascended gear and another tier of gear could ever do
  • Pointlessly undo all the work ANet has put into current class balance, as new levels will also bring with it new balance issues
  • Pointlessly gate content for no other reason than a lack of ingenuity to create content that doesn’t match WoW’s level for level

They’re obviously going to get raised if you follow the interviews, and it doesn’t matter to me. I honestly don’t care since I’m all about content.

This, unfortunately, is true. The entire post is moot. Even though all but a handful of people on here are saying “NO”, the first time I’ve seen people who both love and despise Ascended gear actually agreeing wholeheartedly, this level cap raise will still happen.

And as long as at least 2 people like the change, we’ll soon after see a blog post talking about how “wildly successful” the level cap raise idea was. :-P

Most MMO players derive enjoyment from things other than “killing monsters”. The progression systems are very important to MMO players. It’s deeper than what most simple players need for enjoyjment.

You’re looking for simple “play” but there are layers in this genre that make that almost secondary, and rightly so.

The words you say are anti-level cap raising, but I get the impression that isn’t your intention.

Killing monster after monster after monster just to get a +1 to your level or a +1 to your armor and nothing more is the very definition of “simplistic”. It’s the most simple design you can possibly have, with the idea that your players enjoy such simplicity as they will jump for joy at the reward of their numbers arbitrarily getting bigger.

(edited by Tolmos.8395)

Posted by: Orion.7264

Orion.7264

The “GW2 takes everything you love about GW1 and..” is clever marketing (maybe a little shady)

It doesn’t sound good but forget anything you’ve read in the manifesto.

I wouldn’t call it clever, so much as misleading. Purposefully misleading, at that.

And yes, quotes from months ago at the time they introduced a ton of content that they admitted was horribly flawed and are now in the process of fixing, those are outdated. A game is constantly changing, and viewpoints on it are constantly in need of adaptation.

Then that’s all the more reason to fill the forums with QQ.

That should satisfy whatever part of the rodent brain is satisfied by this illusion of “progression”.

Levels are easy to design and design around; few developers are able to safely abandon them. Anet has shown no ability to do so, either (allegedly did so in GW1, but we all know this isn’t GW1).

There’s no QQ in any of my posts, only in those of kitten fanbois.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Ansultares.1567

Ansultares.1567

It seems like nobody remembers that GW2 was going to have an infinite level cap with diminishing power as you leveled.

That could have been interesting, though it’s more likely to follow the WoW pattern of expansions than any alternative.

There’s no QQ in any of my posts, only in those of kitten fanbois.

I didn’t call your comments QQ. I said that they’re reason for more QQ.

(edited by Ansultares.1567)

Tolmos.8395

The “GW2 takes everything you love about GW1 and..” is clever marketing (maybe a little shady)

I wouldn’t call it clever, so much as misleading. Purposefully misleading, at that.

I dunno, if they ended that sentence with " and throws it out the window" it would be pretty spot on!

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

Even though all but a handful of people on here are saying “NO”, the first time I’ve seen people who both love and despise Ascended gear actually agreeing wholeheartedly, this level cap raise will still happen.

Sadly, I agree.

Remember the 11000+ post mega-thread opposing Ascended gear? And they did it anyway, and then closed the thread saying we’d all “had our say”?

I’m pretty sure it doesn’t matter what we say here…

Edit: found the referenced thread: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Thoughts-on-Ascended-Gear-Merged-threads/page/222#post817328

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Tolmos.8395

Even though all but a handful of people on here are saying “NO”, the first time I’ve seen people who both love and despise Ascended gear actually agreeing wholeheartedly, this level cap raise will still happen.

Sadly, I agree.

Remember the 11000+ post mega-thread opposing Ascended gear? And they did it anyway, and then closed the thread saying we’d all “had our say”?

Yep, and then immediately told us in a blog post how “wildly successful” ascended gear was. =D

I’ll give em this- if GW2 fails they can always go into car sales. They would be awesome at it.

Orion.7264

Don’t argue negatives. If the level cap needs to be raised, state why.

I’ve done that from day one and ever since.

The level cap needs to be raised because that has been established as the de-facto form of character progression.

Not only does it take you handily through all of the zones, but it also progresses your personal story. With new zones, and presumably an extension of personal story, the well-established leveling paradigm would be used to continue that progression.

Players would be confused if it happened any other way, and rightly so.

So your argument is “It’s always been done that way, therefor it must always be done that way?” That’s incredibly weak. The Holy Trinity was established as the de-facto form of MMO combat, do we need that implemented as well? Do we need all the other paradigms of MMO games, or can we get away with making some intelligent new leaps here? As I’ve stated, increasing the level cap is a remnant of skinner box sub games, and ALL it serves to do is slow players down to give the illusion of content being larger than it is. My street isn’t longer because the speed limit gets lowered, it just takes me longer to get to my house. Personal Story can progress just fine without increasing the level cap, as evidenced by the fact that by the time you get to the end of the existing personal story, many players (myself included) are already max level. And yet we still do it! Funny how a story guides itself regardless of reward. Either that, or I only read Lord of the Rings to increase my Literacy stat. As for guiding players through zones, I find the existing mechanics of dynamic events and hearts to be more than sufficient, and boredom with/completion of one zone will naturally lead a player to the next, regardless of being forced there to continue leveling.

Innovation is the key to moving forward, not rehashing ideas that have had their day.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

So your argument is “It’s always been done that way, therefor it must always be done that way?” That’s incredibly weak. The Holy Trinity was established as the de-facto form of MMO combat, do we need that implemented as well? Do we need all the other paradigms of MMO games, or can we get away with making some intelligent new leaps here? As I’ve stated, increasing the level cap is a remnant of skinner box sub games, and ALL it serves to do is slow players down to give the illusion of content being larger than it is. My street isn’t longer because the speed limit gets lowered, it just takes me longer to get to my house. Personal Story can progress just fine without increasing the level cap, as evidenced by the fact that by the time you get to the end of the existing personal story, many players (myself included) are already max level. And yet we still do it! Funny how a story guides itself regardless of reward. Either that, or I only read Lord of the Rings to increase my Literacy stat. As for guiding players through zones, I find the existing mechanics of dynamic events and hearts to be more than sufficient, and boredom with/completion of one zone will naturally lead a player to the next, regardless of being forced there to continue leveling.

Innovation is the key to moving forward, not rehashing ideas that have had their day.

Sure, if they release Guild Wars 3. But this game is already designed, developed and deployed.

THIS IS THEIR DESIGN. It would be far, far more terrible to swap out the core progression mechanic at this stage of the game’s lifecycle. I’d be concerned for their design aptitude and in fact their very sanity if they changed a core element they’ve established.

I don’t expect you to understand, but thems the facts. You just don’t like them.

Tolmos.8395

Don’t argue negatives. If the level cap needs to be raised, state why.

I’ve done that from day one and ever since.

The level cap needs to be raised because that has been established as the de-facto form of character progression.

Not only does it take you handily through all of the zones, but it also progresses your personal story. With new zones, and presumably an extension of personal story, the well-established leveling paradigm would be used to continue that progression.

Players would be confused if it happened any other way, and rightly so.

Plus, just because WoW does something does not have to make it the industry standard. Sometimes doing something a little different is better.

Orion.7264

Whatever.

It seems like nobody remembers that GW2 was going to have an infinite level cap with diminishing power as you leveled. In essence, that is very likely how it will be.

I’m all about content too, which is why I don’t like the idea of level caps being raised. Now I’m forced to do certain content to level my characters and regear them before I’m again “free” to experience the content I choose. I remember the idea of an infinite level cap, and I was a little skeptical back then, but I trusted Anet because of how well they did with GW1. Now that I’ve seen them screw up a few times in GW2, I’m less trusting and more likely to voice my opinion when I see them doing something that could be bad. As for diminishing power as you go further up the vertical chain, I like the idea, but that hasn’t been how they’ve implemented things so far. The release of the new Ascended tier wasn’t a diminished step up from Exotic, it was an increased step up. The stat difference between Ascended and Exotic gear is equivalent to the difference between Exotic and Masterwork. If they continue this trend going forward, the power difference between 90 and 80 might well be the difference between 80 and 60. Not saying it will be, but because I’ve seen it in one area of the game, I’m less willing to trust them not to implement it in another. And before say to ourselves “it probably won’t be that bad”, we should ask ourselves: “how would it be good?” At the time your players start reconciling themselves to changes rather than anticipating them eagerly, you’ve failed. The game is for the players and (regardless of what the devs think would be a good idea) if the players don’t like it, it shouldn’t be implemented.

Arenanet lies.

Posted by: Assyrian.4827

Assyrian.4827

NO TO GRIND.
if the lvls give more stats to ur charr yes but to wear new armor hell NO.

Posted by: Martin The Brave.8731

Martin The Brave.8731

I did own up to it. You still fail at reading. I don’t know if you’re just mouthing the words and hearing the sounds, but you clearly don’t really know what they mean. All leveling is a gating mechanism; that’s what leveling IS. “You must be THIS high to do the thing.” Otherwise it’s meaningless, which means it shouldn’t exist anyway. Either it’s a gating mechanism, or there’s no purpose to it; either way I’m right.

Don’t bring the manifesto into this, I never said anything about it. And yes, quotes from months ago at the time they introduced a ton of content that they admitted was horribly flawed and are now in the process of fixing, those are outdated. A game is constantly changing, and viewpoints on it are constantly in need of adaptation.

“I did own up to it.” No you didn’t as you gave me a definition of the word “Personal Attack” that would have meant that it wasn’t. But what you gave me was a partial definition of Ad Hominem (Abusive/Circumstantial)“In an non debate setting”. And you continue you to do so, I mean honestly if you feel as if you are right what is the point in “trying” to debate me by using slander? Pertaining to the “Gate Mechanism” my point still stand’s increased level content may not be intended to bar players from a certain activity. It may indeed be used guide players into specific area’s of a zone. But that doesn’t mean that the higher level content is off limit to them. In the expansions the all the zone’s could be 80-85 and it would be completely plausible for players to do 85 content at level 80.

“Don’t bring the manifesto into this” I brought this up because you said that “Outdated may or may not still apply” This would mean all of their statements which are older than 2 months, may or may not be true. “introduced a ton of content that they admitted was horribly flawed” and what would that be? “viewpoints on it are constantly in need of adaptation” So? That doesn’t mean they changed their opinion.

At this point I’ve determined that not only are you illiterate, you also live out of touch with the rest of reality, as in your world they clearly didn’t release blog posts admitting all the flaws in the Lost Shore event, the implementation of the Ascended tier, and the problems with Fractals, or the subsequent updates since then to rectify the problems introduced.

We’re done here, it’s not worth the time I’d have to invest to educate you enough to be able to argue on my level.

Well that’s fine, I hope you don’t go crazy when those “Liars” implement a new level cap. Obviously you can’t keep your emotions and slander too yourself. SMH children these day.

Orion.7264

Sure, if they release Guild Wars 3. But this game is already designed, developed and deployed.

THIS IS THEIR DESIGN. It would be far, far more terrible to swap out the core progression mechanic at this stage of the game’s lifecycle. I’d be concerned for their design aptitude and in fact their very sanity if they changed a core element they’ve established.

I don’t expect you to understand, but thems the facts. You just don’t like them.

I’m sorry, what? Your post contradicts itself. First, you say that no changes should be made to the game, it’s too late. Then you advocate increasing the level cap? NOT increasing the level cap preserves the game as-is. Throwing away the core progression element would be redesigning the game to say: “Congrats, you’ve won” upon character creation and dumping every item in the game in your invent. And before you respond, the game is designed, developed, deployed, and most importantly BALANCED around a level 80 cap. To change it would require either completely restructuring traits, attribute points, and scaling, or making the new levels absolutely meaningless. If I kept leveling past 80 and getting trait points, I would have some seriously OP builds going on (read: invincible, champion-one-shotting builds). So which is worse, leaving the level cap as it was when the game was designed, developed and deployed? Or restructuring the entire game, costing players content, and frustrating a large portion of the playerbase?

Arenanet lies.

(edited by Orion.7264)

Tolmos.8395

I don’t think anyone here but you understands why WoW doing something makes it a core design principle for GW2 that would require the questioning of Anet’s sanity if they broke from it. >_>

Unless that is a sneaky way of calling this game a WoW clone at heart?

Because so far, raising the level cap is only something they stated an intention of doing… around the same time they stated “no grind”, “account bound dye” and several other “core” principles that went out the window. So them changing that and sticking with a level plateau system more akin to this game’s predecessor, instead of the level raising system of its direct competitor, would hardly be the end of the world you are making it out to be.

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

To those who don’t like leveling, why do you play MMOs? Why did you play Guild Wars 2 in the first place?

Because i liked GW1, and the devs promised me that everything i liked in GW1 will be in GW2?

Yeah, i know, they didn’t really keep that promise, but i can still hope.

They probably didn’t keep that promise because they never made that promise. If they did, prove it. Every single post that I’ve seen from the time they knew they were making a sequel and onward stated that the sequel would be very different from the original.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ArenaNet's_MMO_Manifesto_trailer

Mike O’Brien: “We founded ArenaNet to innovate, so Guild Wars 2 is our opportunity to question everything, to make a game that defies existing conventions. If you love MMOs, you’ll want to check out Guild Wars 2, and if you hate MMOs, you’ll really want to check out Guild Wars 2. Guild Wars 2 takes everything you love about Guild Wars 1 and puts it into a persistent world that’s got more active combat, a fully-branching, personalized storyline, a new event system to get people playing together, and still no monthly fees.”

So yeah they kinda promised that. The things a whole lot of people loved about GW1 was no mandatory gear grind, low level cap, GvG. None of those are ingame. So what did they think we loved about GW1.

“Takes what you love about Guild Wars 1”

A. Subjective statement, you don’t necessarily love the same things about GW2 that other people do, or that the speaker does. Nor are you the authority on whether or not those things are in Guild Wars 2.

B. Not a promise, a design goal, and he lists what will be different immediately succeeding this statement. So you knew exactly what was coming, and ignored it. Persistent story, check. More active combat, check. Personalized storyline, check. Event system, check. No monthly fees, check.

Show me where he says ‘we promise that Guild Wars 2 will be nearly an exact copy of Guild Wars 1’ and I will concede your point.

A. Yes it is subjective, hence me asking what they thought we liked about GW1. Did you actually read anything I wrote or did you just like to bash.

B. I didn’t ignore anything, nor did I state what I liked about GW1, but you sure do like to jump to conclusions do you.

If it’s subjective, then you have no right to judge the designers work based on it. And yes, you were making judgements, your questions were rhetorical, you had already defined what you ‘knew’ to be those things people liked about the original game . Don’t lie and act like you were actually asking a question when you weren’t.

And speaking about jumping to conclusions…

C. I’m not going to show you anything. You can’t be persuaded by anything anyone says.

Yeah, I really trust your judgement. /rollseyes

Posted by: DreamOfACure.4382

DreamOfACure.4382

I’m seeing a lot of purist “No” answers, without any consideration for the state of the game, or recognition of the built-in differences GW2 has that separates it from GW1.

GW2 is more or less incomplete, design-wise.

The PvE world map isn’t completely filled in. Even Orr is only 30~40% done.
There are other dragons to be fought, the Personal Story only deals with Zhaitan.

So the real question is not whether or not anyone “wants” it to be increased.

That is a stupid question.

It’s whether or not it “should” be increased.

And that entirely depends on the nature of the new content ANet releases in the future.

Examples of what may warrant level-cap increases:

• A new tier of traits that exceeds “grandmaster”
  • A sequel to the Personal Story
  • The rest of Orr (could warrant a re-alignment of gear levels too)
“Bleeding, Poison, Confusion, Torment, they all look delightful on you.”

Lv80s: Guard, Thief, Necro. Renewed my Altaholic’s card on the HoT Hype-Train. Choo choo~

Tolmos.8395

So the real question is not whether or not anyone “wants” it to be increased.

That is a stupid question.

It’s whether or not it “should” be increased.

There is no definitive “should”. Many of us have already played the MMOs that were destroyed by level cap increases, so we know the answer to that question is “no, it should not be increased”. And yet others (though far, FAR fewer in number) argue just as vehemently that they know the answer is “yes, it should be increased”.

At the end of the day, all of that just comes down to both sides stressing what they want by using any reasoning they can grasp to justify it. Both sides could write 10 page thesis papers based entirely on valid fact as to why their side should be the correct answer, and in the end it won’t change anything. Because what that really shows is that we all just want things to be a certain way, and will try our best to prove that way is right.

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

Yes.

That said, I would rather there be no level cap at all. I think there should be a cap on stats, just not levels. That way you have a better idea of how long everyone has been playing. That was one of the things that bothered me about GW1, you would go to play some max level content, and half your party didn’t know how to play the game due to it taking no time whatsoever to get to 20.

(edited by phlemhacker.1372)

Tolmos.8395

Yes.

That said, I would rather there be no level cap at all. I think there should be a cap on stats, just not levels.

I read this part and was like “This is an awesome idea! I like this guy!”

That way you have a better idea of how long everyone has been playing. That was one of the things that bothered me about GW1, you would go to play some max level content, and half your party didn’t know how to play the game.

Then I read this part and was like

Attachments:

Posted by: Columba.9730

Columba.9730

no! No more gear grinds.

only thieves know how to play, they chant “L2P” every time their god mode is challenged.

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

As I’ve stated before Arenanet want’s to increase the cap

Wanted to, at one point. There were a lot of things they wanted once (or said they wanted) and changed later.
Also, when they said that there will be new levels, situation was different. Top tier eq was supposed to be easily acquired – and there was to be no item progression. They didn’t really know how their trait system would work, their scaling system was highly theoretical, and so on.

There are lot of reasons why, even if they once considered it a good idea, it may not be a good idea now.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Minion of Vey.4398

Minion of Vey.4398

Yes.

That said, I would rather there be no level cap at all. I think there should be a cap on stats, just not levels. That way you have a better idea of how long everyone has been playing. That was one of the things that bothered me about GW1, you would go to play some max level content, and half your party didn’t know how to play the game due to it taking no time whatsoever to get to 20.

You can already measure this with achievement points.

Maybe not full stop, saying that the guy with 200 achievement points more than the other guy has been playing that little bit longer. But as far as seeing who’s been playing for a bit? It’s fine for that.

And if you’re doing anything where you need to join a real party, you can mouse over them and see it.

Posted by: Vorch.2985

Vorch.2985

For the record, there are other methods of vertical progression, including in GW1.

Titles were used as a mechanism of gaining PvE only skills and also determined their strength based on the title’s tier. Many farming groups required people to have a title of a certain level.

This could be reintroduced in future expansions as a way of maintaining the level cap AND adding meaningful vertical progression to the game. Title tiers could afford greater defense towards certain enemies and greater damage toward others. And it would be as simple as associating statistical benefits to specific titles in the future.

Here’s what people thought of GW1 when it first came out: http://tinyurl.com/bntcvyc
“A release is 7 days or less away or has just happened within the last 7 days…
These are the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria.”

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

No! Please no!.

Instead, why don’t they update maps, and make it so you can put new content into old stuff !

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Posted by: Mephane.8496

Mephane.8496

NO

I do not want the level cap raised, ever, as it would be just a cheap method of invalidating all previous players effort and reset our progression (everyone has to start new progression from zero).

Posted by: gamefreak.5673

gamefreak.5673

no

They have no need to, gear and stats are fine at the current level and they can make game harder with new mob types, skills, and such without adding new levels. They did it for years in gw1 and I loved it. They can make the AI better, adjust hp, damage of mobs, etc.

Heck they should polish the game and adjust traits they already have out for the classes so everyone could have more builds to be viable for pvp/wvwvw/pve, number of traits and underpowered, or in horrible spots, and will not ever be used because they are not needed/wanted because they have better options to take. Right now most class’s can have 1-2 good builds and most others are just underpowered compared the better ones so they are not worth using.

Posted by: LumAnth.5124

LumAnth.5124

For the record, there are other methods of vertical progression, including in GW1.

Titles were used as a mechanism of gaining PvE only skills and also determined their strength based on the title’s tier. Many farming groups required people to have a title of a certain level.

This could be reintroduced in future expansions as a way of maintaining the level cap AND adding meaningful vertical progression to the game. Title tiers could afford greater defense towards certain enemies and greater damage toward others. And it would be as simple as associating statistical benefits to specific titles in the future.

Going off topic here, but I loved your signature so much that I bookmarked the page that shows people’s emotions to Guild Wars (1) launch

Sorry for the typos….
I’m usually typing on my phone

Martin The Brave.8731

Wanted to, at one point. There were a lot of things they wanted once (or said they wanted) and changed later.
Also, when they said that there will be new levels, situation was different. Top tier eq was supposed to be easily acquired – and there was to be no item progression. They didn’t really know how their trait system would work, their scaling system was highly theoretical, and so on.

There are lot of reasons why, even if they once considered it a good idea, it may not be a good idea now.

" Wanted to, at one point. " What evidence do you have that show’s that Arenanet no longer want’s increase the level cap(If you are indeed saying that)? Certainty Arenanet could change their mind, (I wouldn’t have a problem with that) but without any indication of them saying they are going back on their word you simply cannot assume that they no longer want to raise the level cap. That’s like me saying “I want to go the store and buy some milk” and my wife saying “I wanted to at one point go to the store” Which indicates that I no longer have a desire to do so. Also Arenanet stated that they wanted level progression in late November.

(edited by Martin The Brave.8731)

Posted by: Valanga.5942

Valanga.5942

NO.

There’s any need of raising level cap, and there wasn’t need for ascendant items too.
If they added some new armor set or weapons with awesome skins, obtainable only doing fractals, or even better doing events or killing specific bosses in open world, people would be totally happy and there would’ve been the apocalypse of angry threads all over the forum.
But ANet want their game to be just a WoW lite… So be it.

Anyway, the only good reason i find for raising the level cap, is for reading then the kittenstorm made from all the ANet paladins that now defend them blindly. when they’ll learn that a level 90 rare will have higher stats then their Legendary ^-^

(edited by Valanga.5942)

Posted by: Nurse.1085

Nurse.1085

No. I’d rather they add even MORE 80 content and new ideas/designs.

I want it to be like Guild Wars 1. Hit max level and have 9723984739284 things to do.

Posted by: gwawer.9805

gwawer.9805

I like the idea of having a so-called infinite level, but after certain point you don’t gain any combat advantages over other players. But she could going all the way up to 150 level or 250 level based on this skill challenges achievements and what not that you do. The experience required to gain after a certain level could be increased dramatically so that you don’t get players that easily grind up to the level 9000 or something like that.

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

" Wanted to, at one point. " What evidence do you have that show’s that Arenanet no longer want’s increase the level cap(If you are indeed saying that)? Certainty Arenanet could change their mind, (I wouldn’t have a problem with that) but without any indication of them saying they are going back on their word you simply cannot assume that they no longer want to raise the level cap. That’s like me saying “I want to go the store and buy some milk” and my wife saying “I wanted to at one point go to the store” Which indicates that I no longer have a desire to do so. Also Arenanet stated that they wanted level progression in late November.

Of course there is no proof that they’ve changed their minds on raising the level cap. You would need a quote and they haven’t publicly changed their minds on the subject. I think the larger question the post you are replying to addresses is the fact that just because they have made a statement about raising the level cap doesn’t mean they will actually follow through on it. They have shown the ability (11/15) to turn on a dime with no looking back. They are entirely out of my predictive range at this point so I don’t make predictions based on what they have said or what they have left unsaid. Only the actual implementation details will tell me which direction they have chosen to go.

Martin The Brave.8731

Of course there is no proof that they’ve changed their minds on raising the level cap. You would need a quote and they haven’t publicly changed their minds on the subject. I think the larger question the post you are replying to addresses is the fact that just because they have made a statement about raising the level cap doesn’t mean they will actually follow through on it. They have shown the ability (11/15) to turn on a dime with no looking back. They are entirely out of my predictive range at this point so I don’t make predictions based on what they have said or what they have left unsaid. Only the actual implementation details will tell me which direction they have chosen to go.

Well I did concede that they can change their mind, but I think Arenanet is going through with this. I mean it must be something of significant important’s to them if they have their President talking about adding this feature. If I may I would like to respond to the (11/15) thing, While Arenanet never announced that there would be higher tiered armor. No were in their manifesto did they claim that there would not be vertical progression. In fact they have stated in the past that the game will have elements of both “Horizontal” and “Vertical” progression with the main emphasis on horizontal. And what their doing with the Laurel system only proves that they are going to stay true to what they said.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

No………………….

And make Ascended easier to get asap, oh and bring back loot to open world..

Posted by: phlemhacker.1372

phlemhacker.1372

Yes.

That said, I would rather there be no level cap at all. I think there should be a cap on stats, just not levels.

I read this part and was like “This is an awesome idea! I like this guy!”

That way you have a better idea of how long everyone has been playing. That was one of the things that bothered me about GW1, you would go to play some max level content, and half your party didn’t know how to play the game.

Then I read this part and was like

You should still think it is a good idea regardless of whether or not you like the motivation behind it.

Posted by: Baron of Winters.5697

Baron of Winters.5697

No. Emphatically, no. I don’t play much since the stat cap for gear was busted with ascended, a new level cap would completely eradicate what lingering interest I have in this game.

Posted by: Lalangamena.3694

Lalangamena.3694

no.

lvl 80 is enough…

Posted by: Qid.1937

Qid.1937

Yes I would like my level cap raised so I can be bored at a higher level.

BG Mrplow – Highly rated since 1987.

Posted by: Zonzai.2341

Zonzai.2341

Right now the game basically ends when you hit 80. So ANet could either make the meta not suck or raise the level cap. I’m betting they will do the latter.

Posted by: Bri.8354

Bri.8354

For me it really depends on what comes with the level cap increase.

I wouldn’t mind things like more trait points, I actually feel like the current amount is a bit too limiting and even 10 more would enhance the game for me.

However, if with a level cap comes higher level equipment that is stronger than the previous equipment, then ABSOLUTELY NOT. This type of equipment progression is not what the game needs and would be magnitudes worse than ascended equipment which many people are already upset over.

Posted by: Rynn.1324

Rynn.1324

[NO]. I want to see horizontal progression, not vertical.

[Tarnished Coast] Lizzibeth Huffles, Asuran Genius (Engineer) at Play

Posted by: Gehenna.3625

Gehenna.3625

This was planned from before the game was out. It’s their way of doing vertical progression anyways. What do you think will happen?

First ascended gear comes out completely. Then when you have had a chance to get that together, the level cap will be raised. And then there will be level 80 and level 90 ascended gear. So, it’s not a new tier of gear but a level 90 version of the same tier.

Maybe they will even not do that right away so you can get level 90 exotics and then come out with ascended.

And who knows…..maybe legendary weapons will suffer the same fate. So that your level 80 legendary will stay a level 80 legendary and BiS for level 80….but then there will be level 90 legendary weapons that require even more grind to get together.

This is my expectation and I have read nothing by Anet that contradicts that. So yes GW2 will have vertical gear progression and the same will happen again when we get the next level cap raised to 100.

It’s a game forum. The truth is not to be found here.

Posted by: Sparky Sights.9174

Sparky Sights.9174

Now if I remember rightly this was not true, This was scrapped very early in development (around the same time the side kicking system was side lined) and they were going to rise the level cap to 60 for that stats only, so you would get your max stats then, but after that you would still gain levels just to show off how much you’ve played. The reason this was scrapped is because the amount of unrest this caused in large areas of the GW2 community, and not just the casuals either.

Posted by: lisamee.2408

lisamee.2408

Yes, if it includes:

—a new zone
—new quests
—new items
—continued storyline

Because getting there was much more fun !

Posted by: Faden Pain.4275

Faden Pain.4275

NO NO NO

What is it with all of the people that feel the need to always “raise the cap”? What is the need for a bigger number?

Posted by: SoPP.7034

SoPP.7034

NO

Any expansion should focus on more exciting replay-ability. I want to move away from generic questing (therefore levelling) and away from grind (fotm).

A warrior, a guardian, and an elementalist walk into an open field…
The Warrior turns to the guardian and says, “Did you hear something?”
Guardian replies, “No, but how’d the elementalist die?”

Posted by: Meglobob.8620

Meglobob.8620

YES

If it means :-

More skills
More Traits

I don’t have enough or I am bored with the skills/traits available at the moment, not enough build diversity with the characters…

Posted by: Oreoz.2573

Oreoz.2573

Though I’m not the OP, I would kindly ask that we cease the back and forth debates and keep things to a very simple yes or no and why.

This is directed at Arenanet, remember. Not each other.

Posted by: Zeldain.5710

Zeldain.5710

NO NO NO

What is it with all of the people that feel the need to always “raise the cap”? What is the need for a bigger number?

I have to ask… if you’re all high and mighty about not caring about numbers, why do you care if someone has a bigger number than yours?