PSA: Don't randomly invite people to party

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Writetyper.1985

Writetyper.1985

EDIT: Case of the matter is, currently it’s possible to kick people from instances if they’re not in a party. This is a problem/bug, so just to be safe and for common courtesy, ask before inviting someone unless they’re absoloutely 100% willing.

So there I was trying to solo lupi. It’s hard, but my god it’s fun. The first time I got kicked out after I had mastered P1 and was still getting used to P2 because of the server reset. That’s okay, I came back the next day, solo’d my way through path 2 to get to lupi in an hour or so, and then got to the fight at which point I managed to get him down through P3 to about 25% health after about 10 attempts and 45 minutes. And then someone accidentally clicked “invite to party” instead of “send mail”, and I got kicked, and I had to start again. From scratch. Turns out if you’re not in a party, and you get invited to one, you get kicked from instances, like dungeons. So,

to people in general: ask before inviting someone to party. I’ve been guilty of this, but it’s both considerate and good forethought on the off chance someone is doing something important in a dungeon solo.
to people who want to solo run: If you’re in any party – even one with people not in the dungeon – this doesn’t happen. So just invite a bro and then they can afk or whatever they do, with the added bonus of moral support.
to anet: please fix :*(

Mortryde/Cold/Thugmentalist Bara
really bad engineer

(edited by Writetyper.1985)

Posted by: Fiennes.9568

Fiennes.9568

I agree that people should not just randomly invite people to parties without a whisper (though friends are excluded from this). What you might consider is, before going and running a dungeon on your own – invite a friend to your party (not to join you, explain what you want to do), and then you won’t have the issue.

This has the added bonus that you can quickly type “HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLP” when things go sour

Posted by: vespers.1759

vespers.1759

this is less their fault than it is a broken mechanic.

Bristleback can’t hit anything? Let’s fix the HP bug instead.

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

On the other hand … it might just have been OP’s fault for accepting the invite? Did anyone think in that direction?

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: AW Lore.5682

AW Lore.5682

or maybe he got kicked because when one gets a party invitation, it “appears in team place”, he turned it down, and then got kicked as it was partially in team.
did you thought in that direction?

or rather ask, OP, did you accept the invitation or did you get kicked in on rejection of the party invite?

Posted by: Rukh.9287

Rukh.9287

You can also do neither, it just sits up in the top left and doesn’t really bother anything.

Posted by: Vayra.3290

Vayra.3290

On the other hand … it might just have been OP’s fault for accepting the invite? Did anyone think in that direction?

It kicks you when the invite is sent, you don’t have to accept it.

The Unnamed[ThUn] – Desolation
Vayra – Elementalist
Forkrul Assail – Mesmer

Posted by: scoobyconnah.9148

scoobyconnah.9148

you get kicked if you reject invitation.. if someone invites you to party while soloing, just ignore request, only thing you can do to stay in instance..

happened to me multiple times.. worst case was soloing SE story… after 3+ hrs managed to ge to final boss.. got him down to 10% and then came random party invite.. i rejected the invite and few sec i started to cry….

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

The chances of someone solo’ing Lupi and then accidently inviting that player is very, very low, so I’m gonna keep on randomly inviting people to my farm runs. If they don’t want in, they can simply decline.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: AW Lore.5682

AW Lore.5682

The chances of someone solo’ing Lupi and then accidently inviting that player is very, very low, so I’m gonna keep on randomly inviting people to my farm runs. If they don’t want in, they can simply decline.

the problem is, if they do decline, they get kicked, so there your logic fails, how about simply whispering them first if they want in or not? may take 5 more seconds than just sending the invite, but its far more polite.

does the kick happen if the inviter cancels the invitation? because past posters have said that the moment its decline by the player who is invited, they get kicked out

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

Who programmed this game? Why in the world would getting a party invite kick you from a dungeon?

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

the problem is, if they do decline, they get kicked, so there your logic fails, how about simply whispering them first if they want in or not? may take 5 more seconds than just sending the invite, but its far more polite.

does the kick happen if the inviter cancels the invitation? because past posters have said that the moment its decline by the player who is invited, they get kicked out

This incident very rarely happens. I’m not going to go through the trouble of having to whisper every single person I want to party up in shelt/pen just because someone else had a rare occurence of being kicked out of a dungeon.

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: runeblade.7514

runeblade.7514

Who programmed this game? Why in the world would getting a party invite kick you from a dungeon?

Wrong, the party member left.

If the player is the only one left in the dungeon then the player would be kicked. Host would leave party at the end of the dungeon so that he would get the rewards only just to be an kitten.

5x Warrior, 5x Ranger, 4x Elementalist, 4x Engineer,
4x Necromancer, 3x Mesmer, 4x Guardian, 4x Thief, 4 Revenant

Posted by: Kraggy.4169

Kraggy.4169

It doesn’t, as was made clear in posts above yours, if you cared to read them .. GETTING an invite doesn’t kick you.

Posted by: Ellisande.5218

Ellisande.5218

So there I was trying to solo lupi. It’s hard, but my god it’s fun. The first time I got kicked out after I had mastered P1 and was still getting used to P2 because of the server reset. That’s okay, I came back the next day, solo’d my way through path 2 to get to lupi in an hour or so, and then got to the fight at which point I managed to get him down through P3 to about 25% health after about 10 attempts and 45 minutes. And then someone accidentally clicked “invite to party” instead of “send mail”, and I got kicked, and I had to start again. From scratch. Turns out if you’re not in a party, and you get invited to one, you get kicked from instances, like dungeons. So,

I hate to break it to you but even if no one ever were to invite someone else randomly you’d still get invited by accident when they try to send you mail but accidentally invite you instead.

Posted by: Selebrity.7469

Selebrity.7469

I understand that the kick mechanic is annoying, I dont find blind invites annoying though, in fact I appreciate them. The invite is not intrusive in any way so if its inconvenient to click either acc or decline its easy to ignore. In big events where mobs die_in 3 seconds I dont have time to start a conversation and I gladly accept a blind invite from players doing the same event.

Writetyper.1985

You can also do neither, it just sits up in the top left and doesn’t really bother anything.

Well he cancelled the invite because it was an accident. That kicks you. I tested it again recently.

Soloing lupi isn’t the only thing someone could be doing solo in an instance. How about messing around trying to break out of the map? I’ve even seen people farming the risen at the start of arah by pulling them to the camp. Is there something wrong with asking before you invite people out of the blue?

This incident very rarely happens. I’m not going to go through the trouble of having to whisper every single person I want to party up in shelt/pen just because someone else had a rare occurence of being kicked out of a dungeon.

Pen/shelt is an obvious exception because if they’re standing outside pen/shelt then they’re obviously not trying to solo a dungeon.

On top of this, is it so wrong to ask first outside of obvious situations like pen/shelt farming? It’s a bit of courtesy

really bad engineer

Posted by: Conner.4702

Conner.4702

People what he was doing is not important, nor is where he was. The fact of the matter he is pointing out a gamedesign flaw where if you get invited to party yet decline while inside a dungeon will get you kicked out.

Now the OP could have emphasized the problem and not the cause more.

Writetyper.1985

People what he was doing is not important, nor is where he was. The fact of the matter he is pointing out a gamedesign flaw where if you get invited to party yet decline while inside a dungeon will get you kicked out.

Now the OP could have emphasized the problem and not the cause more.

I could have. But I was so sad ;_;

I’ll edit the OP.

really bad engineer

Posted by: arabeth.2361

arabeth.2361

It doesn’t, as was made clear in posts above yours, if you cared to read them .. GETTING an invite doesn’t kick you.

And in like 50 other posts it was stated it did. Your point?

I honestly do hope that is correct, though: otherwise, that’s almost as bad as the party leader leaving a dungeon causing every other person to get kicked (as opposed to… maybe making someone else the party leader?).