PSA: In-Game Mail From "GMs"

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Michael Henninger.7451

Michael Henninger.7451

Game Support Lead

My team will never ever send an in-game mail to notify you of an account infraction or warn you that you sold gold.

If you had sold gold we’d already have terminated your account.

Please do not reply to these mailings or provide any information to the website linked within. The page is NOT an official Guild Wars 2 webpage.

GM Delicious Intent
Twitter: @ANetCSLead
GM Delicious Intent.5928

Posted by: Wanze.8410

Wanze.8410

You are late to the party, Michael.

Seems like not even GMs read stickies…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Alert-In-Game-Mail-Scams/first#post4653294

Tin Foil [HATS]-Hardcore BLTC-PvP Guild
Bloin – Running around, tagging Keeps, getting whack on Scoobie Snacks.

Posted by: SonOfJacob.7396

SonOfJacob.7396

I block and report those guys every time. They’re just annoying. I feel like anyone that falls for that stuff are the same people that fall for credit card scams elsewhere in life.

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

You are late to the party, Michael.

Seems like not even GMs read stickies…

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/gw2/Alert-In-Game-Mail-Scams/first#post4653294

Wanze, there seems to be an outbreak of phishing / gold selling the past couple of days. It’s good Michael posted this.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

I seriously wish Anet would send a real in game mail to everyone warning of this. I see about a half dozen or so threads a day about this problem. An in game mail to all players would help quell this problem.

The Burninator

Posted by: Silvia.9130

Silvia.9130

I seriously wish Anet would send a real in game mail to everyone warning of this. I see about a half dozen or so threads a day about this problem. An in game mail to all players would help quell this problem.

Agreed, considering that many players don’t check forums and might be naive enough to fall for those tricks

>>Lady Carlie Castle<
>>=<

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

Also, pay heed to the message at the bottom of each mail. Any REAL communication from a GM or an ANet staff member will NOT have the message that states “this message was sent by another player”.

Posted by: Beldin.5498

Beldin.5498

In the end that also brings nothing since people are simply not able to read and understand mails.

There stand clearly under the mail that it is from another player and not from ANet .. and still they don’t get it.

EVERY MMO is awesome until it is released then its unfinished. A month after release it just sucks.
Best MMOs are the ones that never make it. Therefore Stargate Online wins.

JustTrogdor.7892

In the end that also brings nothing since people are simply not able to read and understand mails.

There stand clearly under the mail that it is from another player and not from ANet .. and still they don’t get it.

But it would if they sent an in game mail that read something like this:

“Attention GW2 players: There are in game mails going around regarding in game infractions or suspensions and in some cases awards for free gems. We will never ever send an in-game mail to notify you of an account infraction or to award gems. These in game mails are and attempt to hack your account. You should report such mails and then delete them. Additionally mail not sent from Guild Wars 2 staff will show a disclaimer stating such.”

It would go a long way. If people are able to read so far as to see their account was being suspended or winning free gems, they could read a simple message such as that.

I’m honestly surprised Anet has not done something like this yet. This started a few weeks ago and there have been several posts a day about it, many questioning if it is real. So they made a sticky thread, but if it were me, my first instinct after seeing this as a growing problem would have been to send everyone an official in game mail about it instead of just making it a sticky on the forums that not every player reads. Then again, what do I know? I’m just a GW2 player.

The Burninator

(edited by JustTrogdor.7892)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

In response to the suggestion of Anet sending out an in-game mail:

Not meaning any offense here, but the people who are posting about the mail (and the many people who haven’t posted but who are also unsure as to its validity) didn’t pay much heed to the red notice at the bottom that says “This was sent from another player, etc., etc.” Thus, I highly doubt an official message would do much good to many people, either because of a language barrier or because of a tendency to not really pay attention to what Official Mails say.

Posted by: AVM.5746

AVM.5746

Maybe the in-game mailbox letters should have a unique icon or color that indicate official messages from anet? That way you could tell the difference.

JustTrogdor.7892

In response to the suggestion of Anet sending out an in-game mail:

Not meaning any offense here, but the people who are posting about the mail (and the many people who haven’t posted but who are also unsure as to its validity) didn’t pay much heed to the red notice at the bottom that says “This was sent from another player, etc., etc.” Thus, I highly doubt an official message would do much good to many people, either because of a language barrier or because of a tendency to not really pay attention to what Official Mails say.

Maybe but I don’t see where it could hurt things to do so. If anything it would inform at least a few more people. It’s better than a sticky thread on a forum most people don’t read.

The Burninator

Posted by: Malchior.5042

Malchior.5042

But it would if they sent an in game mail that read something like this:

“Attention GW2 players: There are in game mails going around regarding in game infractions or suspensions and in some cases awards for free gems. We will never ever send an in-game mail to notify you of an account infraction or to award gems. These in game mails are and attempt to hack your account. You should report such mails and then delete them. Additionally mail not sent from Guild Wars 2 staff will show a disclaimer stating such.”

It would go a long way. If people are able to read so far as to see their account was being suspended or winning free gems, they could read a simple message such as that.

I’m honestly surprised Anet has not done something like this yet. This started a few weeks ago and there have been several posts a day about it, many questioning if it is real. So they made a sticky thread, but if it were me, my first instinct after seeing this as a growing problem would have been to send everyone an official in game mail about it instead of just making it a sticky on the forums that not every player reads. Then again, what do I know? I’m just a GW2 player.

This is a good idea. Consider using this idea, Michael, if the tech exists to freely draft a message and globally send to all players.

Malchior Devenholm | Proud member of Zealots of Shiverpeak [ZoS] | Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: The Tee Why.4807

The Tee Why.4807

I’ve gotten those except in an email.

For maybe a split second I thought “huh?” but my web of trust + adblock add ons were going nuts, plus the email was “GW2.tk”

Obviously Anet can afford an email domain better than .tk :P

Leader of [iLL] iLLuminatriots. | Gate of Madness

Posted by: robintan.4068

robintan.4068

upon reading this thread, i got one in the mail. must be my lucky day.

Attachments: