PVE not competitive enough.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: egzius.9031

egzius.9031

Where to start. The game is just too easy. Everyone can get achievement points in PVE, no one is left behind. You’ve done a right step in PVP. Let’s analyse the achievements: need to win, need to win, need to win. Whereas PVE: participate, help, work together. See a problem? You are not incentivizing the player enough to go PVE. Offer a great reward (such as a legendary backpack), but cut the supply of them tenfold (by making it only that winners get the achievements and put in tiers of semi good rewards), by making so that only the Meta achievers can get it, while others get something that’s less of a value, such as resonating sliver, since everyone likes those. Economy is better off (less rewards flood the market), players are better off, you are better off as you can be sure that players will gate other players as much as possible from getting the final shiny. I like where you are going with current events, where players have to steal from other players to get achievement points, but I believe you could still kick it up a notch by making so that instead of priory fighting inquest, priory (player side) could fight consortium (player side) and the losing sides loses that much from their achievement pool. This way, people have incentive to try, because now, people are just gonna be like meh, I’ll do it and I’ll get something everyone will get, whereas if it’s exclusive, more people will join to get the exclusive shiny. You could also throw a match-maker to ensure fair-play between the two sides, no stacking, etc.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

So if I’m understanding your wall of text correctly, you’re asking for PvP in open world PvE?

I certainly hope that never happens.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: JustTrogdor.7892

JustTrogdor.7892

No thank you to any kind of PvP in PvE. GW2 PvE is meant to be cooperative. If you want some kind of rush from competing against other players you have sPvP , WvW, guild hall arena and the daily activity games.

The Burninator

Posted by: DeanBB.4268

DeanBB.4268

Or you could, I don’t know, go play PvP? Or WvW?

Posted by: PyrateSilly.4710

PyrateSilly.4710

No kill stealing
No drop stealing
No node stealing
All share in the killing with everyone getting XP from it
No open world PvP

All things known BEFORE the game went live over 3 years ago and you want to complain about it now?

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’m relatively sure there are more PvEer’s in this game than PvPer’s.

And if they made the changes you want, there wouldn’t be more people playing PvE. There’d be far less people playing PvE. That’s my opinion, anyway.

These games don’t get dumbed down because their player base goes down. They get dumbed down because their player base goes up…or they wouldn’t do it.

You may thing everyone wants the same things you want, but I’m relatively certain that’s not the case.

egzius.9031

No no no, no PVP. PVE content, but where players fight other players in PVE manner. Such as racing to get crystals, like we have now, possibly doing events in parallel to see who is faster and better, you know, standard stuff, but make a winner and a loser side and reward the winner and punish the losers. Why should everyone get all the rewards? Make them at least slightly exclusive.

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

No.

Posted by: Aenaos.8160

Aenaos.8160

No.
This game is built with a different philosophy.
And your comments on “stealing from other players” is proof enough that Anet could have done better with the latest achievements and their related events.

-Win a pip,lose a pip,win a pip,lose a pip,lose a pip,
lose a pip,win 2 pips,lose a pip,lose a pip…………..-
-Go go Espartz.-

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

PvE is not a competitive game form in this game. May it never change.

egzius.9031

I agree that they could have done better, that’s why I’m giving them suggestions on how to improve the competitive aspect of PVE. Maybe we could even do it cross-server: 2 megaservers doing the same meta event. The one that does it quicker, gets better rewards, the loser one, gets nothing, so that players would improve over time due to the feedback of loot.

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

The basic structure of sPvP, WvWvW and PvE is not going to change. There has been zero hint that they even want to change it in any way. It works for a lot of people, you are not one of them.

Posted by: STIHL.2489

STIHL.2489

Whereas PVE: participate, help, work together. See a problem?

We help each other and we all get rewarded.. Nope. I can honestly say, I have no idea what the problem is.

But, if you really enjoy a game where it’s cut throat competitive, may I suggest EvE, or Mortal Online

There are two kinds of gamers, salty, and extra salty

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

Where to start. The game is just too easy. Everyone can get achievement points in PVE, no one is left behind. You’ve done a right step in PVP. Let’s analyse the achievements: need to win, need to win, need to win.

Whereas PVE: participate, help, work together. See a problem? You are not incentivizing the player enough to go PVE. Offer a great reward (such as a legendary backpack), but cut the supply of them tenfold (by making it only that winners get the achievements and put in tiers of semi good rewards), by making so that only the Meta achievers can get it, while others get something that’s less of a value, such as resonating sliver, since everyone likes those. Economy is better off (less rewards flood the market), players are better off, you are better off as you can be sure that players will gate other players as much as possible from getting the final shiny.

I like where you are going with current events, where players have to steal from other players to get achievement points, but I believe you could still kick it up a notch by making so that instead of priory fighting inquest, priory (player side) could fight consortium (player side) and the losing sides loses that much from their achievement pool. This way, people have incentive to try, because now, people are just gonna be like meh, I’ll do it and I’ll get something everyone will get, whereas if it’s exclusive, more people will join to get the exclusive shiny. You could also throw a match-maker to ensure fair-play between the two sides, no stacking, etc.

I can’t tell exactly what you’re asking for. Maybe reward tracks and that you like event drops that aren’t individualized, and maybe make PvE maps PvE/PvP?

No thanks for putting in PvP in PvE. Let the 2 stay separate. As to the point “You are not incentivizing the player enough to go PVE.” you have it backwards. There are more PvE players than PvP.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

egzius.9031

Where to start. The game is just too easy. Everyone can get achievement points in PVE, no one is left behind. You’ve done a right step in PVP. Let’s analyse the achievements: need to win, need to win, need to win.

Whereas PVE: participate, help, work together. See a problem? You are not incentivizing the player enough to go PVE. Offer a great reward (such as a legendary backpack), but cut the supply of them tenfold (by making it only that winners get the achievements and put in tiers of semi good rewards), by making so that only the Meta achievers can get it, while others get something that’s less of a value, such as resonating sliver, since everyone likes those. Economy is better off (less rewards flood the market), players are better off, you are better off as you can be sure that players will gate other players as much as possible from getting the final shiny.

I like where you are going with current events, where players have to steal from other players to get achievement points, but I believe you could still kick it up a notch by making so that instead of priory fighting inquest, priory (player side) could fight consortium (player side) and the losing sides loses that much from their achievement pool. This way, people have incentive to try, because now, people are just gonna be like meh, I’ll do it and I’ll get something everyone will get, whereas if it’s exclusive, more people will join to get the exclusive shiny. You could also throw a match-maker to ensure fair-play between the two sides, no stacking, etc.

I can’t tell exactly what you’re asking for. Maybe reward tracks and that you like event drops that aren’t individualized, and maybe make PvE maps PvE/PvP?

No thanks for putting in PvP in PvE. Let the 2 stay separate. As to the point “You are not incentivizing the player enough to go PVE.” you have it backwards. There are more PvE players than PvP.

Look at what happens in Living Story/ PVE. People do their achievements and then go on to Champ Trains. We need to make it interesting, have some catch to the zone. So those are ways to catch people, offer them rewards, but at a cost, not be like, here’s your baby reward handed to you, now off you go into a champ train, never to be seen in the living story.

(edited by egzius.9031)

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I agree that they could have done better, that’s why I’m giving them suggestions on how to improve the competitive aspect of PVE. Maybe we could even do it cross-server: 2 megaservers doing the same meta event. The one that does it quicker, gets better rewards, the loser one, gets nothing, so that players would improve over time due to the feedback of loot.

I’d leave the game if they did that. Most of my guild would come with me. It’s a terrible suggestion.

Casuals have already forced HoT to change, signifying most people really don’t want challenge. They want to relax after a hard day at work.

The age of the average gamer is over 30 now.

Not only is this not going to happen but if it did, it would be disastrous for the company’s bottom line. Do you not read the forums?

Just a flesh wound.3589

I gather from your post here that you’re a PvP main player. So let me suggest something that says how this suggestion sounds to PvE players.

My counter suggestion for PvP:
How about if they make PvP cooperative. Everyone is on the same side. They can give each other boons and get points for that. They cap a point and it automatically decaps so it can be capped again. People can PvP flag voluntarily for one other player at a time so that player can get the 3 daily kills.

Sounds like it might kill PvP? Yeah. Because PvP is supposed to be competitive. Just like PvE is supposed to be cooperative. Your suggestion would harm this game’s PvE like mine would harm PvP.

ANet may give it to you.

egzius.9031

I’d leave the game if they did that. Most of my guild would come with me. It’s a terrible suggestion.

Casuals have already forced HoT to change, signifying most people really don’t want challenge. They want to relax after a hard day at work.

Not only is this not going to happen but if it did, it would be disastrous for the company’s bottom line. Do you not read the forums?

I stopped reading forums, when all the messages became X too hard, nerf Y, I cannot solo Z, omg everything is too hard. It’s already easy as it is. We need to make the players feel like they achieved something, otherwise we can start giving 50 achievement points just for logging in, you know, cause it took effort to press play.

Posted by: particlepinata.9865

particlepinata.9865

Never. There are already more then enough mmo’s which promote toxicity, immature behaviour and elitism. The spring patch did just make the game better again after wrong choices with Hot from exactly the feedback of a vocal minority of elitists.

Just a flesh wound.3589

I stopped reading forums, when all the messages became X too hard, nerf Y, I cannot solo Z, omg everything is too hard. It’s already easy as it is. We need to make the players feel like they achieved something, otherwise we can start giving 50 achievement points just for logging in, you know, cause it took effort to press play.

If people want to feel like they achieved something they can turn off the computer and play the game called Life, cuz you don’t achieve stuff in a computer game. Or maybe they can PvP since you think the only things worth achieving in a game is through competition with other players.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

It is really hard to understand, if you want competition so much, why don’t you go play pvp and wvw?

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Nope, terrible ideas. “Competitive PvE” where you fight/play against other players is, by definition, PvP. If you want competition then you should play sPvP or WvW. Those and mini-games like Keg Brawl are the competitive modes. PvE is supposed to be co-operative, that’s not a “problem” and thankfully ArenaNet know that.

As for exclusivity, I never understood why some people only seem to value something if it is denied to others.

(edited by Pifil.5193)

Posted by: Horrorscope.7632

Horrorscope.7632

That’s one of the reasons I don’t mmorpg all that much you can’t have big exciting things, you get normalized things.

SP and Dedicated Server MP games (Think ARK/7Days types) that users control can simply be much more fun in these depts. One can be god-like.

But in the mmorpg world, tight controls are put in place to keep a common balance overall for all. If it were the other way in a mmo, a lot of med-low end gamers would simply leave, then the new low end of the better gamers would leave and well this is a business to bring in as many players as possible as that generates cash.

I get your point, but you’d have to find a much smaller team/mmo willing to take that risk of being ok with a much smaller audience. I find the games I mentioned above in user run servers to scratch that itch.

Posted by: Seabreeze.8437

Seabreeze.8437

Words cannot express the amount of “no” I’m feeling.

Posted by: Endless Soul.5178

Endless Soul.5178

That would be me as I’m 47 now. I really do just want to relax after a long day at work. I don’t even raid, I only do fractals once in a while, and only did World vs. World just enough to buy Gift of Battle. I’m the very epitome of “casual”.

However, I was not one of those demanding Heart of Thorns be “less hard”. A jungle should be dangerous. A jungle should be deadly.

Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Feyyt | Bekka | Sixx | Akee | Tylee | Nuumy
| Claara
Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade, but your soul is endless.

Posted by: Crossaber.8934

Crossaber.8934

PvE for me should be all the way cooperate. We already have 2/3 game mode promote competitive game play. Please leave PvE alone, thank you.

Posted by: ShinjoNaomi.1896

ShinjoNaomi.1896

For the love of god above, NO.
Competitive play and the hyper-combative, trash-talking mental children that inevitably comes with it can stay in the Mists where it belongs.

“If half as many people were half as brave in real life as they were online…
… The human race would never have to worry about be oppressed again.”
I think trolls should have their computers smashed. ’Its all part of the game. U mad bro?’

egzius.9031

We already have competitive PVE, it’s raids. So the next logical step is to step down and prepare people for them, by changing all the content that is leading up to raids, including Living Story. I’m not saying remove all cooperation, leave it as a part of team, but have another team cooperate as well. Set a lower bound for failure, so that people improve over time, not just slack for the minimum amount to get the reward. This would solve all the AFKers in PVE, ever been to Dragon’s Stand? AFK at circle. Ever been to Octovine? AFKs on the sides of Octovine. Think if 2 Octovines were happening at same time, but only one got rewards, would you still have AFKers risking all they would get? I am just trying to remove all the toxicity from PVE and this is the most efficient way of doing it: by improving the community, making it more competitive.

Posted by: BrotherBelial.3094

BrotherBelial.3094

What in the blue hell did I just read?

OP, PvE is about helping each other. It’s called Player Vs Environment! There are plenty of Achievement points that you can’t get unless you are good.

As for PvP. Sorry the league is a joke. The pip system is not showing how good you are, just how your wins fall. That is not all, you are being helped by 4, yes 4 other people in PvP. You are not doing it alone. You are 20% of the winning team in PvP.

Clearly you need a rethink about what you are talking about because it seems your not 100% sure what this game is about. Maybe play WoW on a PvP server. Go see how much fun that is.

i5 4690K @ 3.5Mhz|8GB HyperX Savage 1600mHz|MSI H81M-E34|MSI GTX 960 Gaming 2GB|
|Seasonic S12G 650W|Win10 Pro X64| Corsair Spec 03 Case|

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Your logical progression is flawed.

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

Umh. I have not done raiding, but I was under the impression that cooperation is the key to success there. Nor has anyone ever told me there are competing player teams in raids. Well, one more reason never to raid, I suppose.

egzius.9031

Umh. I have not done raiding, but I was under the impression that cooperation is the key to success there. Nor has anyone ever told me there are competing player teams in raids. Well, one more reason never to raid, I suppose.

At the moment, there are no competing teams, but there is a race against time and if you or your squad is not in top shape, you will fail. That’s why we need preparation for that, to prepare people to try in PVE, not just be like, I’ll press 1 in zerg and I’ll win the loots, which I may add, is the current PVE mentality.

Just a flesh wound.3589

How in the world are raids competitive? They are people who are maximizing cooperation in a PvE environment. If they fail it’s because they haven’t reach max cooperation (as well as sufficient dps) Unless there are other raiders in that instance who they are competing with this makes no sense.

ANet may give it to you.

(edited by Just a flesh wound.3589)

Posted by: Raine.1394

Raine.1394

No no no, no PVP. PVE content, but where players fight other players in PVE manner. Such as racing to get crystals, like we have now, possibly doing events in parallel to see who is faster and better, you know, standard stuff, but make a winner and a loser side and reward the winner and punish the losers. Why should everyone get all the rewards? Make them at least slightly exclusive.

One of the distinctives in this game, and it is brilliant, is non-competition for loot and resources. What this incentivizes is players playing successfully with other players. Gone is ninja looting. Gone is the feeling that seeing another player is like adding another rat to an already full cage.

What you are essentially asking is for something other than one of the core innovations of this game. I wouldn’t expect to see it anytime soon.

egzius.9031

How in the world are raids competitive? They are people who are maximizing cooperation in a PvE environment. If they fail it’s because they haven’t reach max cooperation (as well as sufficient dps) Unless there are other raiders in that instance who they are competing with this makes no sense.

How? Have you ever been in a raid? There is a competitive baseline, which you have to meet to kill the boss, or you simply fail. Try bringing just 9 whatevers in there and let’s see how well you do. And the baseline is quite high, which we need more in open world PVE, not just raids.

Just a flesh wound.3589

How? Have you ever been in a raid? There is a competitive baseline, which you have to meet to kill the boss, or you simply fail. Try bringing just 9 whatevers in there and let’s see how well you do. And the baseline is quite high, which we need more in open world PVE, not just raids.

Competitive baseline? Now you’re comparing competition to beating a timer?

Nope. It’s a cooperative baseline where if they don’t cooperate sufficiently as well as dps enough then the timer runs out. That’s why randoms fail. Lack of cooperation with each other.

ANet may give it to you.

egzius.9031

Nope. It’s a cooperative baseline where if they don’t cooperate sufficiently as well as dps enough then the timer runs out.

Please, show me a video of 10 mesmers cooperating to beat a boss, I am sure your cooperation skills will bring the boss down before the inevitable timer kills you. Point is, cooperation alone will give you nothing, you need to be competitive too.

Posted by: Seera.5916

Seera.5916

Nope. It’s a cooperative baseline where if they don’t cooperate sufficiently as well as dps enough then the timer runs out.

Please, show me a video of 10 mesmers cooperating to beat a boss, I am sure your cooperation skills will bring the boss down before the inevitable timer kills you. Point is, cooperation alone will give you nothing, you need to be competitive too.

Sometimes cooperation involves playing a specific class, even of it isn’t your favorite.

Just a flesh wound.3589

Are there any raid groups of only one type of profession? No. Because that would be doing your own thing and not being cooperative by bringing what the group needs, so that’s a fallacious comparison.

Please show me a video of 10 people competing with each other instead of cooperating to beat a raid boss. In raids you have roles to carry out. You aren’t competing with the other players you are maximizing cooperation by bringing the right profession and playing the right roles.

ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DragonflyDusk.6582

DragonflyDusk.6582

I don’t think you actually understand what it means to “cooperate”.

Competition would be if the mesmers all had to kill each other for the chest at the end.

[ I survived the 2015 April Fools Forum Meltdown ]

egzius.9031

I don’t think you actually understand what it means to “cooperate”.

Competition would be if the mesmers all had to kill each other for the chest at the end.

I don’t think you understand what cooperation means. If an event asked you to do a synchronized dance as 10 people, by pressing same buttons at same time, that’s cooperation. Competitiveness is how well you fare against a baseline or current players, which is being tested in a raid. It is normal to be afraid of it, because if you are below the average skill level, you will be at a disadvantage, but for elite PVE players that is not a problem, which is the tier that should be rewarded for outperforming the lower skill levels. Adventures is one level of competitive PVE and I wish there were more of them. A platinum level, which is top 1% of players, not just a hard baseline, but a moving one, so that if you want to stay there, you have to keep improving.

(edited by egzius.9031)

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

I don’t think you understand what cooperation means. If an event asked you to do a synchronized dance as 10 people, by pressing same buttons at same time, that’s cooperation. Competitiveness is how well you fare against a baseline or current players, which is being tested in a raid. It is normal to be afraid of it, because if you are below the average skill level, you will be at a disadvantage, but for elite PVE players that is not a problem, which is the tier that should be rewarded for outperforming the lower skill levels.

In the case of raids, in most roles, your class and your ability to remember a skill rotation are what’s needed and being tested. Your actual playing and thinking skills will have very little to do with it.

Posted by: danielrjones.8759

danielrjones.8759

Where to start. The game is just too easy. Everyone can get achievement points in PVE, no one is left behind. You’ve done a right step in PVP. Let’s analyse the achievements: need to win, need to win, need to win. Whereas PVE: participate, help, work together. See a problem? You are not incentivizing the player enough to go PVE. Offer a great reward (such as a legendary backpack), but cut the supply of them tenfold (by making it only that winners get the achievements and put in tiers of semi good rewards), by making so that only the Meta achievers can get it, while others get something that’s less of a value, such as resonating sliver, since everyone likes those. Economy is better off (less rewards flood the market), players are better off, you are better off as you can be sure that players will gate other players as much as possible from getting the final shiny. I like where you are going with current events, where players have to steal from other players to get achievement points, but I believe you could still kick it up a notch by making so that instead of priory fighting inquest, priory (player side) could fight consortium (player side) and the losing sides loses that much from their achievement pool. This way, people have incentive to try, because now, people are just gonna be like meh, I’ll do it and I’ll get something everyone will get, whereas if it’s exclusive, more people will join to get the exclusive shiny. You could also throw a match-maker to ensure fair-play between the two sides, no stacking, etc.

Do you work for a company who competes against Anet? This suggestion would certainly be a death blow to Anet. And I don’t mean in a down state. An insta kill.

egzius.9031

I don’t think you understand what cooperation means. If an event asked you to do a synchronized dance as 10 people, by pressing same buttons at same time, that’s cooperation. Competitiveness is how well you fare against a baseline or current players, which is being tested in a raid. It is normal to be afraid of it, because if you are below the average skill level, you will be at a disadvantage, but for elite PVE players that is not a problem, which is the tier that should be rewarded for outperforming the lower skill levels.

In the case of raids, in most roles, your class and your ability to remember a skill rotation are what’s needed and being tested. Your actual playing and thinking skills will have very little to do with it.

Isn’t that what PVP is? Finding enemy rotation and remembering your rotation against it? If you go so deep, then just go to pressing buttons, it’s just a game, all we do is press buttons, why even bother, why even live, we all die anyway? Don’t go too deep, it’s not worth.

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Argh, OP idea of competitive is obviously different from the norm.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

Why shouldn’t everyone get all the rewards? How does your method improve the PvE game mode for the people who currently play PvE?

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

egzius.9031

Argh, OP idea of competitive is obviously different from the norm.

And that’s why all the salt. Sometimes changes are good. Old populations have to step down and let the young ones take over, it cannot always be old one’s game. But some are just willing to grip on with their last teeth and do whatever it takes to make the game as stale as possible and unchanged, when in reality, the majority of the population no longer wants it, it’s just the relics of the old ones.

Posted by: NotOverlyCheesy.9427

NotOverlyCheesy.9427

To me this feels like a troll thread but I’ll feed it anyway. Working together to overcome difficult PvE challenges without any competetiveness is what keeps me in PvE. I can learn and do things at my own pace without too much pressure. PvP and WvW are there if you want competition and the beauty of GW2 is that there’s something for everyone but not everything needs to cater for one person specifically.

egzius.9031

Why shouldn’t everyone get all the rewards? How does your method improve the PvE game mode for the people who currently play PvE?

Because, when you don’t get all of the loot, you think you didn’t do something correctly, so you improve. When you get all the loot, you think next time I’ll do at most the same. That’s how regression starts.

Posted by: Skittish.4539

Skittish.4539

We shouldn’t even bother. We’ll die anyway. Life is short. Eat more beef.