Paid more for gems than a sub fee this year?

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Mahaedros.7085

Mahaedros.7085

Have you paid more for gems than a sub fee in the past year?

During the beta weekends (i hope no other game company ever repeats beta weekends…) Anet said they were “testing” the gem store and asked people to use their credit card and buy gems that they could use and then they would get the gems back and be able to use all the gems again when the game released.

I wanted to help the game and Anet out because I was really hyped up during the beta weekends and I was super excited about the game. I purchased $50 worth of gems during the beta weekends and then, at release, I purchased another $50 worth of gems and I bought all the available bank tabs at the time and three extra character slots.

During my vacation later on that year I purchased another $50 worth of gems.

I don’t regret the gem purchases and I’ve had fun (the most fun I have had outside of WvWvW was Halloween…). But I would probably not have purchased the gems or even the game if I had known how it would have turned out as it is now.

The original game was worth the purchase price for sure and I had fun with it and I am still playing.

I read about people spending ludicrous amounts of money in the gem store…

Have you spent more on the cash shop than you would have for a monthly subscription model, like World of Warcraft? ~12×15USD=180USD

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

Posted by: KOPPER.1458

KOPPER.1458

I have paid more than a sub. The difference is I paid mostly for what I wanted when I wanted. Some months I paid nothing. Others I over spent.

Posted by: Zavve.8205

Zavve.8205

Gold to gems
paid nothing for gems the entire year

Mahaedros.7085

I should have said that I really do love the mass group content and give my compliment to the devs for that- sure some people complain that it’s a zerg fest but I do love doing things in big groups and that aspect of GW2 is great in my opinion.

Anet is really the first MMO to do this and props to them for this achievement. I have had more fun in these large group events you can find in GW2 than I ever had in WoW’s 40 person raids. I like WvWvW a lot more than WoW’s Arenas (and I spent a ton of time playing those arenas…).

I feel like the progress Anet has made will only continue and while there is room for improvement and technology will certainly get better for large group content, GW2 is the first game to pull it off as well as it can be done at this point in time.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing – Edmund Burke

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Have you paid more for gems than a sub fee in the past year?

KOPPER.1458

wish I was better at making gold lol.

Mahaedros.7085

me too… at least i know i should never ever attempt to be a day trader in real life after this last year of trying to make gold off the Black Lion trading post lol

losing in game golds is a lot better than losing your shirt in real life =0

Posted by: Karizee.8076

Karizee.8076

I spent about 1/2 what I would have paid for a sub game. Cool thing is I can do it when it fits into my budget rather than having to pay just to log in.

And when I consider things like character services I’ve paid significantly less, I’ve used ingame gold to get things like character recustomization and name changes.

Happy camper here, will never pay a sub fee again

Posted by: Tamaki Revolution.3548

Tamaki Revolution.3548

Gold to gems

I’m almost the same. I did cave in and buy $10 worth of gems when SAB came back though :P I wanted the finisher/minis/boombox and I had just bought a set of the unlimited gathering tools/was getting low on gold. Still had to use gold, but $10 for 13 months seemed fine.

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

Yes, I have. The nice thing is that the lack of a monthly sub means that on months where I can’t afford one, I don’t need to pay it, where on months where I have extra, I can spend what I want on what I want.

It’s mostly the inflexibility of a payment schedule combined with the lack of anything received for spending it. If I spent 160-some bucks a year on a sub for a game, I’d have nothing new to show for that money; on GW2 I spent it on something specific and so got something back.

And yeah, re: services. The fees to move characters from server to server on WoW could easily hit the hundreds, where here, all of your characters move for the same reasonable price. Most sub games also have cash shops anyway, so if you want to purchase something from one, it’s already on top of sub fees.

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Posted by: Talenna.4052

Talenna.4052

Yes I have and I see it as supporting the devs for a game I enjoy greatly.

Still hoping my ££s will provide guild halls!

Posted by: Dark Catalyst.1028

Dark Catalyst.1028

I spent about $100 and most of that was spent on gems→gold. Really, it’s gotten to the point where I’d rather just buy gold than run trains.

Posted by: Charak.9761

Charak.9761

I wanted to help the game and Anet out

Please don’t follow that belief, all gem store purchases are given to NCSoft

Posted by: Curo.2483

Curo.2483

For me, the game was WELL WORTH the $60 I paid for it. 1500+ hours of entertainment. I haven’t had the need nor desire to ever purchase gems with cash.

Curo Lunesque – “Concerned Citizen and Community Builder”
NSP – northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

I gave them a big zero dollars this year or last year and until an expansion is released they’re getting nothing from me

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

KOPPER.1458

Nuka is going to paying for zero for a long time. I don’t recommend you holding your breath though. Oxygen is tasty. :P

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

2 accounts here with 45 total alts (which is about the minimum for me for any game… I usually run 4 accounts of 10 chars each – which means 4 box sales included.)

So, for 2 accounts, given about 15 per month, we are talking years here. And I won’t say how many.

I have spent a “ludicrous” amount of money, it’s almost entirely on mats/gear for exotics to outfit alts for dungeon/fractal runs for my guild. (17 at level 80).

ANet has gotten a lot of “support” from me. And I don’t regret most of it….so far. The first four months were fantastic. As for the rest, I get to decide whether I got my entertainment value. For the most part, I did.

As a business person, I ought to fire me for horrible “investing”.

As a retired person who is enjoying a hobby and still spending incredibly far less than I would for gas, travel, tickets, meals etcetera, while spending time with good friends/family … it’s a not unreasonable amount of discretionary funds spent.

Would I have preferred a monthly sub at this point?

That’s a mixed response. Still have concerns over their business model and whether it’s viable long term given the current state of the game, one year out, without even a potential commitment to an expansion (inserts “nothing off the table” marketing-speak here.)

I also have a lot of concerns regarding the direction of this game, how the “visionaries in charge” view the game, and some of the execution of content.

I could say that personally I would have been better off financially with a standard MMO subscription. That would have had the game feel different among other things; never mind that probably would have impacted the game itself (as in: GW2 may not have been the same game.)

Long discussion which this forum has seen before.

So to answer your question, yes, I’ve spent more for gems this last year than I would have for a subscription fee.

The real question for me is: given my concerns over the state of the game, am I going to want to stick with GW2 long enough to get my years’ worth?

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Posted by: Evans.6347

Evans.6347

Indubitably. Both me and my partner buy 50€ gems every month, so we’ve most certainly been supporting.

As I like to say, I’m doing my working at work. I’ll use a part of that money to bypass having to work in my gaming time too. If there are people who want and can spend hours farming daily, then good on them, but I’ll spend my precious free time doing enjoyable stuff thank you very much

Joy to the world, ignorance is bliss

(edited by Evans.6347)

Posted by: Jordo.5913

Jordo.5913

1. Developer makes a gem shop to bring in income.

there are two ways this plays out:

2a. No one buys gems thus creating no income.
2b. NCsoft sees gw2 as a failure, and slowly limits how much money Anet gets each month leading to layoffs and no more content updates

3a. A lot of people buy gems to support gw2.
3b. NCsoft sees gw2 as a moneymaker success, gives Anet more money to keep content coming out at a regular pace to keep people spending money in the gem shop.

i’m thinking the latter already happened and is why we saw Living Story updates go from every month to every two weeks

so yes, gem shop purchases do help support Anet

Posted by: Aberrant.6749

Aberrant.6749

Gold to gems

Same here

Best way is to understand the player base and predict upcomming supply/demand issues. As an example, ascended armor this year will have a very high chance of spiking T2-4 cloth prices. Limited time cool skins and items made from time limited recipies often go up in price after they are no longer available (coughHalloweencough). Gw2spidy is a very good tool for watching market trends.

Tarnished Coast
Salvage 4 Profit + MF Guide – http://tinyurl.com/l8ff6pa

(edited by Aberrant.6749)

Posted by: Nurgle.6597

Nurgle.6597

I spent nothing except the original purchase price of the game, and I love it, that’s the reason I bought the game in the first place, I didn’t want to pay a subscription but I was also sick of all the pay to win free MMOs

Posted by: marnick.4305

marnick.4305

I spent not even half that amount of money in euros. Don’t regret a single purchase, and still have 2k gems in the bank. The GW2 model is the best in the industry by a landslide.

That said, I paid only half a sub fee in euros, which is about triple the sub fee people pay in dollars. That’s another discussion though.

If I can’t play Guild Wars 2 at work, I won’t work in Guild Wars 2 either.
Delayed content is eventually good. Rushed content is eternally bad. ~ Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by: moiraine.2753

moiraine.2753

Not really.I have payed 0 RL currency to receive gems.I always farm in game gold and buy with it gems.
For 2500 hours played i didn’t feel the need to buy games with RL money.For the same amount of time if i still was playing WoW i would have payed for my gaming time every time for an year.

And not only i would have to pay every month but if i wanted to transfer characters or name change,race change and other things that are sold in their shop i would have to pay with RL cash.
In GW2 i have a choice – to buy or not to buy with what ever currency i want.Is it in game gold or RL money.In other MMOs i don’t have such choice.

All in all i’m happy what GW2 delivered and gave me.

TxS – Tequatl Slayer Alliance (EU)

Posted by: Tagus Eleuthera.7305

Tagus Eleuthera.7305

I think the devious thing about buying gems in this game, is it really is the easiest way to get things you want, and by far. When the game started out it felt a little more balanced in terms of farming vs. buying gems. The Scarlett invasions are just an illusion, because the inflation they caused actually makes it even better to drop 10 bucks here and there because gem values are tied to the value of gold, while static prices of items like T3 armor, elonian wine, tools and salvage kits, waypoints, etc. remain the same.

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I think I’ve paid about £4-5 a month, If more mmos had a sub fee like that i’d probably play them. I do love having a choice.

I could turn gold to gems but I put money in when a patch comes out that I agree with :p
I vote with the purse.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Sai.5908

Sai.5908

I used to spend a lot of money on this game but not anymore .

Posted by: eisberg.2379

eisberg.2379

Yes I have, but less than $180 per year. No other MMO in history has got me to play as long as I have with Guild Wars 2. WoW was the second longest and that was only for 6 months. I spend about $120 since the game has released.

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

0$ spent on gems. No new real content, no new real money.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

I spent hundreds of dollars in the first six months or so after release.

Posted by: Ordin.9047

Ordin.9047

I spent some money earlier this year, but then the game began to stagnate, so I wont spend more. Ill buy more when they have released an expansion or some other news worthy content; content that is not just having us run around the some old areas.

Posted by: azizul.8469

azizul.8469

nope. not a single cent so far.

Cutie Phantasmer/Farinas [HAX] – CD Casual
Archeage = Farmville with PK

Posted by: Tower Guard.5263

Tower Guard.5263

Spent about $60 a month, $700+ so far, not anymore though. I was shocked when I finally looked at the total over a year.

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

I haven’t seen the same quality as top end sub to play games past the box purchase. Thus I have not spend any money on gems.

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

+$1000’s

no regrets

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: Windu The Forbidden One.6045

Windu The Forbidden One.6045

I have paid more than a sub. The difference is I paid mostly for what I wanted when I wanted. Some months I paid nothing. Others I over spent.

^This. It’s not about how much money you spent, it’s about being able to pay if/when you want to pay. You pay and get stuff in return, you don’t pay just to be able to keep playing.

Dear A-net: Please nerf rock. Paper is fine
~Sincerely, Scissors

Posted by: Garambola.2461

Garambola.2461

I have not paid anything yet. But I am planning on giving both me and my daughter a gem card for Christmas. I know, not even near subscription price.

Posted by: Ashen.2907

Ashen.2907

^This. It’s not about how much money you spent, it’s about being able to pay if/when you want to pay. You pay and get stuff in return, you don’t pay just to be able to keep playing.

Agreed. I really love GW2’s financial model and hope that other games give it a shot in the future.

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Nope, only spent about $80 in the last year I think. But I got all the game’s content for the purchase price of the game, and those gems were specifically for things I wanted. I got the unlimited gathering tools, and the magitech armor, and 3 extra character slots. That’s money well spent in my opinion, because I none of it was game-changing but great QoL items.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

No, I don’t think I’ve spent more than a sub fee would be, but I haven’t really been tracking it. Why? Because I’m happy with my purchases. I’m also content with knowing that the choice to make the purchase was solely my own, and not forced upon me in the form of “you must pay x to keep playing.” Like Kopper, I spent money some months, more other months, and yet others none at all, all of my own choosing. So long as I’m a happy gamer, I have no desire to tally it up.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

I only payed for something that should have been free in the first place. More character slots so I can play all professions. It’s stupid I have to pay for that.

Posted by: Devata.6589

Devata.6589

Cash shop really works good on people who can’t really handle there own money. They tend to spend much more on much less with cash-shops (compared to P2P). I am willing to pay for the game, even did buy the correctors edition and if ArenaNet was doing what I liked I might at one point have both a few gems to unlock maybe some char slots but they did not what I like. They went over to a more F2P sort of payment model (focusing on gem-sales in stead of on box / expansion sales) and so I did not spend a single Dollar / Euro. Hopefully they will turn back to a B2P model where focus for income is the box sales and expansions sales. If they then indeed also drop the high focus on the cash-shop (and everything that comes with it) then I am more then willing to buy the new expansion. Well at least the customer has a choice.

(edited by Devata.6589)

Devata.6589

Indubitably. Both me and my partner buy 50€ gems every month, so we’ve most certainly been supporting.

As I like to say, I’m doing my working at work. I’ll use a part of that money to bypass having to work in my gaming time too. If there are people who want and can spend hours farming daily, then good on them, but I’ll spend my precious free time doing enjoyable stuff thank you very much

And thats exactly why the system is as it is (the need to farm.. the game feeling like a job). It’s so people as you will buy gems. It’s also why a lot of people (not or less willing to buy gems) are complaining a lot about what the game is doing.

It’s not a good sign if you need to buy gems to overcome the farming and enjoy the game.

If they would have focus on expansions in stead of cash-shop then both groups could be happy.

Devata.6589

1. Developer makes a gem shop to bring in income.

there are two ways this plays out:

2a. No one buys gems thus creating no income.
2b. NCsoft sees gw2 as a failure, and slowly limits how much money Anet gets each month leading to layoffs and no more content updates

3a. A lot of people buy gems to support gw2.
3b. NCsoft sees gw2 as a moneymaker success, gives Anet more money to keep content coming out at a regular pace to keep people spending money in the gem shop.

i’m thinking the latter already happened and is why we saw Living Story updates go from every month to every two weeks

so yes, gem shop purchases do help support Anet

If that would be truth and if you would see the 2 weekly living story ad good new content then yes. A lot of people however disagree with you on this.

Now just for the record.. I don’t think the F2P model (so focusing on the cash-shop) is not able to generate enough money.. in the beginning it might even generate much more money. But the quality of the game is the issue here. When the focus on gem sales makes the game less fun, then less people will go away and income will also slow down. For a good mix of quality of the game and income I still think B2P model (focus on expansions for income) is the way to go.

Devata.6589

I spent not even half that amount of money in euros. Don’t regret a single purchase, and still have 2k gems in the bank. The GW2 model is the best in the industry by a landslide.

That said, I paid only half a sub fee in euros, which is about triple the sub fee people pay in dollars. That’s another discussion though.

With the exception of the GW1 model. The GW2 model is not unique, at this moment it’s just a F2P model (but then requiring to buy the game) so in that way it can’t the the best in the industry.

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

Gold to gems

Their interface is kitten backwards tho. I would love to hammer in how many gems i want, and see the price i would have to pay.

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

I’ve spent more on this game than I would have on a sub, but I’ve subbed to many many games in the past and haven’t had nearly the enjoyment out of them. The only game that has held my interest for this long is Guild Wars 1.

Devata.6589

I’ve spent more on this game than I would have on a sub, but I’ve subbed to many many games in the past and haven’t had nearly the enjoyment out of them. The only game that has held my interest for this long is Guild Wars 1.

Oow here you are again. So much money spend on GW2 and you have had no time to play it ( https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/members/Vayne-8563/showposts ). I feel for you.

KOPPER.1458

What does it matter how much is spent vs time played? If the person spending the money is enjoying whatever time is invested then I don’t see the issue?

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

I haven’t spent a single penny and I will continue to withhold my money, as I’ve already payed the initial box fee. I think I might renew my WoW subscription though, which I haven’t done in about 3 years. The recent patches in GW2 have made me see what a great game WoW was and now I will be able to appreciate it even more when I go back to it.

The sad thing is, I will probably be paying less than all of you even with a subscription fee. Good luck, have fun with your game

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Azala Yar.7693

Azala Yar.7693

Well purchased more bank slots and character slots plus several armor skins, so yeah easily spent enough for a year’s sub in another MMO and that was in just one month.

Only played for about a month so hardly worth it as it turned out. But still useful if I ever decide to come back to GW2, although that’s unlikely if they continue in the direction they’ve gone.