Party System, Dungeons and Leveling

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Xetu.7341

Xetu.7341

I am actually really frustrated atm so I had to share my words.

I really really dislike the party system.
What I mean is the fact that everyone can just vote kick you.

Why the hell does this even make sense?
I open a party, it’s MY party that I want to start and have control over.
However, people can just randomly kick me if they like.

I am alone and 2 or 3 people join and kick me. Great. That already happened way too many times to me. Don’t tell me I am a rare exception, I’m not gonna believe that.

If I want to kick someone out of MY party I need to wait for others to accept the vote.
Why do I need votes of others to kick someone out of MY party?

It is complicated and just causes more problems than it actually fixes.

I don’t even know why voting would be better. To make it fair? No. Hell no.

Wanna solo a dungeon and sell the boss? People kick you out of the party aka dungeon and do the boss alone while you did all the work to get to the boss.

Another part I wanna talk about are the dungeons in general.

While the level minimum of the regular story mode of dungeons makes sense and is quite fair chosen, the level minimum of the explorable mode is just plain wrong and doesn’t represent how it actually is.

Why is the explorable mode in general always just max 5 levels higher than story mode?

If I would run explorable in AC for example and would play with a full level 35 party, we would just horribly fail because of the lack of damage. Maybe if you’re perfectly coordinated it might work, but not for a regular play.

Not even considering this, you barely find any party anyway that doesn’t require level 80.

People only want Lv80, META, 5k AP and gear check.

I want to level my chars in dungeons because I am bored of running around and doing kittenty quests. It’s not the way I have fun leveling, so I wanna do something else. But I barely can. It’s so freaking hard to find or make parties when you’re not level 80.

Ofc I can still do story mode, but that doesn’t give as much exp and gold. It also doesn’t give any dungeon tokens.

I don’t even get why people even want a certain amount of AP… I’ve seen people who just started the game who played far superior than others with 20k AP. Achievement points doesn’t mean anything.

Now about the leveling.
Disregarding of how you can level and if you like it or not, there is one thing that really annoys me the most…

Why can’t I share quest progress in my party?

I was leveling with my friend, and even though we’re in the same party and on the same quest, if I didn’t hit the same monster as he did, I wouldn’t get any progress.
Some things are even only be able to be used by one person until it spawns again.

This makes it really frustrating to level together with a friend since you always have different progress and have to wait till your friend is also done.

Why can I make a party with someone if I don’t have any benefit outside of dungeons?

Why can’t we simply share everything?
I know that it’s not wanted to have leeching by just sitting somewhere and doing nothing. But you could simply add the restriction that you have to have the same quest active and have to be in certain range from another.

And actually, right now there is a far worse leeching part going on in GW2. While you can’t regularly leech exp like in other MMOs, you can simply just hit the monsters a couple of times and just run away and still get the exp and reward of the event as long as you’re still on the map.
This is just unfair. I am doing the work and some random guy can just hit once and run away and gets “nearly” the same reward?
That’s stealing. While regular leeching is willingly done by someone to help someone (paid or not doesn’t matter), in GW2 you just steal the reward while you basically did nothing.

I am really annoyed about all this, it’s a wrong concept and just feels like it’s done to be different. Just like all the other conversations about A-Net trying to make everything different than it is in WoW.

Now, let the stones fly, I am ready.
Most people gonna come with the argument “GW2 is different” and “if you don’t like it, why do you even play the game” anyway.

GW2 has many great things, but people really need to realize that there are also many flawed things that should be fixed and not kept just to be different.

(edited by Xetu.7341)

Xetu.7341

No approval or disagreement?

Posted by: cygnus.8913

cygnus.8913

Being kicked from your own party does suck and I’ve had it happen to me on one of my leveling alts.

Best way to avoid it is to be as specific as you can in the party finder. Best to put ‘all welcome, not 80s only’ in my experience. Now if you are 80 and are still getting kicked then I dunno what to tell you. I agree it’s very annoying and extremely rude.

I can’t say I share your frustrations about the other stuff, though.

Posted by: Linken.6345

Linken.6345

No we are bored of the same rehased conversations, we are now waiting for hot and new topics.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

1) We had a “party leader” system before. If he/she got kicked hole party were kicked out of the dungeon. The griefing were way worse. The forum cried Anet obeyed.
2) NOWADAYS dungeons is just a fast way of income, so people just wanna go in, finish, grab the money and get out(3yrs of stale content does that). So create your own LFG “all welcome” or “noob need help” may take time but someone will join.
3)? there are no quest in this game. you talking about hearts? they are there to give an idea of what to do. come on it does not take that long to fill one (except the one in the portal in char zone when event is done)
Also do some daily pvp to get tomes of knowledge to lvl up.
Hope this helps.

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: luzt.7692

luzt.7692

That partyleader system was actually based on the first person to open the dungeon. Not based on the partycreator. The dungeon opener can now leave without closing the dungeon, so in that sense there would be room for a partyleader system.

Xetu.7341

1) We had a “party leader” system before. If he/she got kicked hole party were kicked out of the dungeon. The griefing were way worse. The forum cried Anet obeyed.
2) NOWADAYS dungeons is just a fast way of income, so people just wanna go in, finish, grab the money and get out(3yrs of stale content does that). So create your own LFG “all welcome” or “noob need help” may take time but someone will join.
3)? there are no quest in this game. you talking about hearts? they are there to give an idea of what to do. come on it does not take that long to fill one (except the one in the portal in char zone when event is done)
Also do some daily pvp to get tomes of knowledge to lvl up.
Hope this helps.

This actually didn’t help at all and you basically said nothing at all to contribute.

1. If that’s actually how it was, how about just fix the problem instead of completely messing everything up? Why does a party need to disband if the leader left? The party will stay as it is. And if you want to kick the leader because he is offline, then after maybe 2-3 min you’ll be able to vote kick him and someone else takes the lead. Easy as that.

2. I wasn’t talking about people wanting to just run through fast. I am talking about the level minimum which is set by the game itself. If you were to run AC explorable mode with a full party of level 35 characters you would just fail. And if this should be seen as a challenge for those, the reward of a bit more than 1g is not appropriate.
Also I am not a noob and know what to do, but it’s simply not possible to run a reasonably constant successful party without any level 80 characters.

3. Those hearts are quests. They also don’t just “give an idea of how to play”. It’s the main source of getting EXP beside of random map events. It doesn’t matter how long such a quest or event lasts. Fact is that I want to share everything with my friend, regardless of how long it takes. Because we want to play TOGETHER. Where is the point of running together when nothing is shared anyway? Doesn’t the game want me to play with friends outside of dungeons?

You are completely missing every point I made and just told me something which I already know, but doesn’t contribute to anything said.

Posted by: Sorin.4310

Sorin.4310

This actually didn’t help at all and you basically said nothing at all to contribute.

S/he was polite and gave reasonable answers or explanations to your complaints. Don’t be rude just because you don’t like the answers.

Posted by: Drow.2081

Drow.2081

Could we maybe have the best of both worlds? How about some dungeons that allow all party kicking and some dungeons that have no party kicking at all?

I am for no party kicking by party members but an afk kick by the system when you are in party if you don’t move your character in a 2 minute time frame (literally move around; not spell cast only). To avoid afk free loaders which was why party kicking was invented in mmo’s in the first place.

I also post on guildwars2guru.

Posted by: RSLongK.8961

RSLongK.8961

1) Because the problem isn’t the system its the players? theres no system out there that will save for people behavior. Your idea is 1 step more that can lead to same last griefing scenario. If you have a friend its likely to no happened.
2) If you know the path you can complete in a full party lvl 35. Long time ago a dude and his guild did that and not so long a dude here showed him soloing SQ with his ele. If you know the stuff you can do it. People do in their 80 just to make it faster. but again it require KNOWING your class, albeit a little slower.
ps: Dungeons are ABANDONED by Anet, check dungeon forum, even if there was any balancing to be done there will never happend.
3) No u dont get it. hearts is part of you map completion with is your personal progress. Dynamic events are group experience. IF you want a a faster xp/group experience maybe HoTM.

Your trying to jam your way into the system instead of playing the system than yes you gonna get frustrated. You see a problem on a thing that is not supposed to work this way or dont understand how they work. also.

/Hugs

Main: Warrior|Character counter: 16

Posted by: Blaine Tog.8304

Blaine Tog.8304

You started the LFG, but the group is ultimately no more yours than anyone else’s. It’s not like you had to pay anything to make it, after all, nor did anyone else ask you to make it. It would suck to be kicked from a group you started, but wouldn’t it also suck for the other 4 people to be trapped in a dungeon with a tyrant? They could leave (and lose their progress), but why should the good of the 4 be less than the good of the 1? There’s no perfect way to handle grouping to avoid all toxicity, so Anet decided to leave it to a simple vote system so at least there would be no asymmetrical power structure to encourage it.

Kicking people to sell their spots is a separate issue which Anet really needs to address. This hasn’t happened to me to the best of my knowledge, but it would seriously suck if it did.

I’m unclear what you think the problem is with dungeon level requirements. Do you want Anet to raise them? Why? As you say, barely anyone attempts them without being level 80. What would raising the level requirement accomplish? And what is Anet expected to do to cause players to take on lower-level players? I guess they could hand out extra dungeon tokens for playing with someone below 80, but then, you’d just see the meta shift to requiring someone below 80 for all the easy dungeon paths and that’s just awkward for everyone.

As for AP, I don’t personally put AP requirements on my LFGs but I can understand why some do. While someone with low AP might be a better player than someone with high AP, there’s still a pretty strong general correlation between AP and skill. If one member of the party is repeatedly making mistakes with a dungeon’s mechanics or letting themselves be downed a lot, most of the time I find they have much significantly less AP than everyone else. It’s not a perfect indicator, but there are no perfect indicators of skill in this game. AP is best we have.

Hearts already fill up pretty darn quick. If you got progress for your whole group, they would fill up basically instantly. Anet would then need to increase the total amount of progress needed to balance that out and then solo players would be at a severe disadvantage. Map completion is intended to be primarily for solo players (as groups have dungeons, fractals, WvW, sPvP, certain meta-events, and, with HoT, raids, among other things), so this would be bad.

As for “leeching,” there’s no such thing. You get the same reward regardless of whether someone else comes in and hits the mob a few times. They haven’t taken anything from you, so no theft occurred. If the reward was good enough without their bit of damage, then it’s good enough with their bit of damage. They didn’t do as much damage as you, but they still helped speed up the kill a bit.

I main Ele and Necro, though I have an alt of each profession at level 80.
How to Condi Reaper on a budget
Everything I say is only in reference to PvE and WvW.

Posted by: laokoko.7403

laokoko.7403

I did AC on low level with other low level for a good month everyday. And I always succeed.

The run just sometimes take 2 hours and you have to replace 10 people who rage quit.

Being a middle age man living in the basement of your parent helps. You got a lot of free time. Maybe that’s why I’m so patient.