Party size

Party size

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Dar Galador.6324

Dar Galador.6324

Was just wondering if there had been any discussion on the topic of increasing the party size for either explorable areas or doing dungeons. I would like to see 8 like it was in GW1.

Party size

Posted by: goldenwing.8473

goldenwing.8473

Don’t believe so.

I remember the early videos where Colin et al were saying they thought that 8 was too many and that a smaller group was the way they wanted to go.

I hope they don’t ever change that.

5-man content, along with mobile combat, was the thing that drew my guild to this game, and those two reasons are the only things still keeping us here.

I understand someone wanting larger groups; it comes up from time to time (see: suggestions board.) There would have to be massive game redesign. Don’t believe ANet has time/resources for something that large, even if there was interest.

I think the direction is headed more along the lines of larger outdoor “raids”. (See: Tequatl.)

BG: 52 alts, 29 lvl 80’s. They all look good, so I am done with the game: Oct 2014

(edited by goldenwing.8473)

Party size

Posted by: Paulytnz.7619

Paulytnz.7619

I’m pretty sure they have stated that 5 party members is what works best for them when it comes to designing challenging content. We see groups now where players stack and can easily take down bosses very fast. Just imagine if there were 8 members. I think that is Anet’s concern with 5+ members, too many healing coming from everywhere and really it seems they want heals to be on the low side of combat, well that’s what it seems to me anyway….

Since when did this business of being a hero become being a business?

Party size

Posted by: Immensus.9732

Immensus.9732

5 man content is good, but for groups outside the dungeons/fractals/instances i would like to have a bigger group

Mesmers Shall Rule Tyria!

Party size

Posted by: knives.6345

knives.6345

Wish they could implement harder dungeons/events that require more than 5-man team…

Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Party size

Posted by: Celtus.8456

Celtus.8456

5 man content is good, but for groups outside the dungeons/fractals/instances i would like to have a bigger group

I was about to say the same. The 5 person group size is doing ok for instances, but does not seem necessary for open world/wvw. Commander is just simulating larger groups at the moment (in a much sloppier way than if we actually had the option for larger groups…)

Josre
Zulu Ox Tactics [zulu]

Party size

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Five Man Band

Beware it’s TVTropes, once you start it’s hard to leave.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Party size

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

The 5 man party is because of complaints in gw1 that fielding 8 players to do such and such was to hard to do. Or that fielding 8 players for gvg was hard to do if you werent already an established guild with contacts in that community.

Basically the only real content that really requires more than 5 people are the dragon events, temple of lyssa, karka queen and guild missions. Everything else can be done with 5 or less people (and don’t say grenth is impossible to do with 5 people I’ve done it with 4 people at 4 AM)

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

Party size

Posted by: Hayashi.3416

Hayashi.3416

I’ve done Lyssa with 2 people. 1 is problematic because of the event completion times on both northwest and southeast events, and because if a event respawns you’ll want one person at the centre to prevent Lyssa from rehealing. At very small population sizes, Lyssa does not summon apes, making the fight actually easier than in larger groups.

Shatterer requires only 5 people. 1 to aggro lieutenants and summons, and 4 to man one mortar each. Directly attacking it is actually unnecessary; HP scaling is such that this is actually enough to clear the Shatterer within the timer. On the other hand, groups that don’t understand this can send 40 people to melee the dragon and still fail if nobody mortars.

Haven’t done karka queen enough to comment.

We have done Guild bounties with 4 people, and guild rushes are trivial to complete even with 3. Guild puzzles require at least 6. Guild challenges require at least 10 for defense, 3 for the JP one, 8 for the crystal destruction one.

Melandru requires at least 5 because of the acolyte drake mechanic.

Dwayna requires at least 3.

Tequatl is the odd one out here that requires an absurdly large number of players.