Patch D\L for new players is a joke.

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: MIADIVER.8217

MIADIVER.8217

So im at 10% and 1G downloaded, What a joke! maybe include the new patches in the game installation from the disc, what an absolute joke having to D\L 10G before i can play…..
i wouldnt mind if it was in bits but all at once, before i even get a look at the game, come on!
Not even going to waste my time.

Posted by: Skorm.4897

Skorm.4897

Funny. What Online game do think doesnt need patch updates? its not going to come on the disk. smh

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

So you are suggesting that they throw away and send out new discs once every month or so? Because with a patch schedule with major patches every two weeks that would be more or less required in order to avoid this “issue”.

The vast majority (if not all) MMOs that are sold via disc do only contain the launcher, or at most the pre-release version of the game.

Oh, and I think the complete dat-file is actually closer to 20 gb now, so you most likely have more than 10 gb left.

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

As Skorm wrote, games have not come complete on a disk in a very long time. I don’t think any programme you buy does not have a big download to bring it up to date.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Funny. What Online game do think doesnt need patch updates? its not going to come on the disk. smh

I think he’s used to console games, so GW2 might be his very first internet game.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

So im at 10% and 1G downloaded, What a joke! maybe include the new patches in the game installation from the disc, what an absolute joke having to D\L 10G before i can play…..
i wouldnt mind if it was in bits but all at once, before i even get a look at the game, come on!

So you just made a topic to complain about the game size all serious mmos have sizes like this even bigger ? LOL then you better go and play solo games.

Posted by: MIADIVER.8217

MIADIVER.8217

Didnt take long for the know it all trolls to appear

Posted by: Allanon.9072

Allanon.9072

You are the only troll here sir.

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

Not trolls. Just people with experience with online video games.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

MIADIVER, I’m not sure what you expect from people?
Almost all AAA MMO’s are over 10GB in size nowadays, it’s a necessity of their complexity. That is data which has to downloaded in order for the game to be played – and yes it is a massive pain, but considering the depth and complexity of MMO’s it is a necessary evil. GW2 is actually smaller than a lot of other MMO’s out there.

Regarding the disc – game discs present a problem when it comes to MMO’s. MMO’s necessitate that their files be updated constantly. The discs are created at launch and as such the data on them gets outdated very quickly and in a lot of cases installing using a disc first can actually lead to a longer install time because in the end the game still has to download all the files again in order to catch up.
It’s not feasible for them to have new versions of the discs created throughout the year because the cost of that simply does not justify the outcome – it would also mean that any unsold copies would be obsolete and they would be creating more copies than were being sold and losing money.

So to sum up, I am terribly sorry that you’re having to go through the frustration of downloading the game – but every single person playing GW2 (and any other MMO) has had to go through the exact same process. Until everywhere has fibre internet there is not a whole lot we can do about it…

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

In other news. MMOs require you to have an always online connection to the Internet to be able to play.

The nerve!

Posted by: Taku.6352

Taku.6352

In other news. MMOs require you to have an always online connection to the Internet to be able to play.

The nerve!

GASP I’m so close to cancelling my subscription fee because of this.

Oh wait…..

Posted by: pandora eight.9451

pandora eight.9451

They could host a torrent download, that is always faster than their kittened launcher.

Posted by: Ashabhi.1365

Ashabhi.1365

@ the OP:

Set it up to patch when you go to bed. Unless you have your PC set to turn off after a half hour of inactivity, it will patch in your sleep. Or, when you go to work/school/whatever…

There are ways to do it. Be a bit patient and you’ll get it.

Welcome to GW2!

Level 80 Elementalist

Posted by: bril.5486

bril.5486

Well when you post something as stupid as this to QQ about, you should expect this kind of reaction. Honestly, no MMO reprint CDs to include updates unless they are selling an expansion and then they tend to include previous updates at that time. Seeing GWs has not sold an expansion…

Posted by: Andrax.4576

Andrax.4576

10gb is pretty standard for any game. Most MMO’s out there are at least over 10gb, even most of the singleplayer games are over 10gb nowadays.

I don’t understand the logic behind having to include updates in the CD’s, how does that even work? You do realize that MMO’s are being updated all the time. It would be impossible to reprint and sell new versions of the game CD’s every other week (or well..not really, but it would be a financial disaster).

I don’t know of a single MMO out there that wouldn’t require you to download at least 10gb of updates/core game. Not any paid MMO’s at least.

Rose Osiana [Elementalist]
Gandara EU
[DYE]

Posted by: Healix.5819

Healix.5819

The progress simply shows how many files you’ve downloaded. It doesn’t represent how much you still have to download in terms of file size. Although you may be 1GB at 10%, you could finish anywhere between 1GB and 20GB (full client).

Also, only dead MMOs have small patches to download when installing from a disk.

Posted by: TexZero.7910

TexZero.7910

Have you tried having a better internet connection ?

I know that’s kinda not the answer you’re looking for but faster download speed/better wiring = faster download which solves 90% of your problem.

Posted by: Dean Calaway.9718

Dean Calaway.9718

Did you honestly think the game would let you log in with an out of date client?

If you have a friend with the game (updated) you can copy the game file (external HDD or what ever) so you can avoid having to download the updates.

Victoria Cross [VC] – Desolation [EU]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

I don’t know…if you aren’t going to waste your time downloading the game, then an MMO might not be for you. All massive online games contain quite a bit of download content.

I hope you find something you do have the patience for, though. Good luck. =)

Posted by: Shanaeri Rynale.6897

Shanaeri Rynale.6897

if you know someone with the game, copy their GW2.dat file onto a suitably large USB stick and then copy it into your Gw2 directory. It’ll do a few checks and then be fine.

Guild Leader of DVDF www.dvdf.org.uk since 2005

Posted by: Astralporing.1957

Astralporing.1957

I don’t know of a single MMO out there that wouldn’t require you to download at least 10gb of updates/core game. Not any paid MMO’s at least.

And GW1/GW2 patcher is the best i have seen so far. Most of the updaters go through all missing consecutive patches, which means that sometimes they reload the same file many times over. GW patchers are one of the few i have seen that directly patch you to the latest version.

Actions, not words.
Remember, remember, 15th of November

Posted by: Moloch.8013

Moloch.8013

Pro Tip:
The percentage of download doesn’t tell how much MB you have downloaded but how many files you have downloaded

edit: i didn’t see Healix reply

Namtar Hakimi – Leoni Bianchi [Lion]

Posted by: WingLegacy.7159

WingLegacy.7159

The OP haven’t started to play yet and he’s already complaining. Wow……

Posted by: Dafomen.7892

Dafomen.7892

This is not unusual, as the version printed on the disk is commonly the release version of a game and most games nowadays get patched after release.
This is especially the case for every MMO out there I’d claim.

Sometimes, e.g. when a game gets the “G.O.T.Y” status, an up-to-date version is printed, mostly for SP games or if its an MMO an “all-expansions” included version will include all past patches.

GW2 has no expansions and as far as I know there is no updated version available on disk.
Sure, it would be nice if Anet/NCsoft would release a new revision including all those yearly events with all the new textures, music/sounds etc.

But as you already bought the game, well, you can imagine the rest of the sentence I guess

I recently completely de- and re-installed GW2 to see if the client size on disk and the loading times would be reduced and it took a good day which is ok when you can wait and just let it download while you are living your day
(f.t.r.: loading times seem to be the same, client size reduced a bit, but not so much that I bothered to remember^^).

BTW I also did that with my LotRo and SWTOR installations and it took much longer.
But the the fastest was GW1…no suprise here looking at the client size.

Apart from that I agree that the GW games patching systems are the most efficient and hassle free ones I know of.

This won’t end well…

Posted by: LanfearShadowflame.3189

LanfearShadowflame.3189

I think he’s used to console games, so GW2 might be his very first internet game.

Bah, even my console games have updates when they are first loaded. I don’t remember which PS3 game I played last, but I couldn’t even start it until after the system had run the game updates for it.

Don’t look at me like that. Whatever you’ve heard, it’s probably not true.

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

Spotlight’s yours.

Your solution, please.

Posted by: ZudetGambeous.9573

ZudetGambeous.9573

They could host a torrent download, that is always faster than their kittened launcher.

I think the problem is with your internet connection. The launcher downloads at 3.5MB/s for me. It maxes out my already blazing fast internet. I have no idea what the cap is, has anyone gotten more than 3.5MB/s out of the launcher?

WingLegacy.7159

Oh great, another bookah!!

Posted by: zamalek.2154

zamalek.2154

solution, please.

1. Start the download
  2. Go to bed

I remember waiting a few days for Half Life 2 to download.

Alternatively, copy the game folder from a friend – you will be presented with a 10MB download when you launch it for the first time and nothing more.

Auroraglade
Epistemic.8013: Guys this is bullkitten a sentient plant creature is hitting these
wooden doors with fireballs and it’s working

(edited by zamalek.2154)

Posted by: TheDaiBish.9735

TheDaiBish.9735

I think the problem is with your internet connection. The launcher downloads at 3.5MB/s for me. It maxes out my already blazing fast internet. I have no idea what the cap is, has anyone gotten more than 3.5MB/s out of the launcher?

My mate got something like 9.2MB/s.

Life is a journey.
Time is a river.
The door is ajar.

Posted by: timmyf.1490

timmyf.1490

Hey guys, way to pile on, but let me add this nugget: in some countries, you pay per GB or for going over a certain threshold. In that case, having to download 5 or 10gb of data instead of just getting it on disk is kind of a big deal.

The tip above – that the total data may be far less because the percentage is based on filesize – is a good one. I’d be surprised if it’s 10gb worth of patches, but 3-5gb is probably more realistic.

For everybody here who started harassing the guy: we can do better than this. Come on.

Karaoke – Guild Leader – [MEGA] Super Mega Happy Fun Time
www.getunicorned.com / northernshiverpeaks.org

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Actually, the game .dat file is about 15-16Gb. So, it’s actually more than he has estimated. But once downloaded, the bi-weekly and update patches are relatively painless.

WingLegacy.7159

Who’s harrasing again? He offended the community by posting this. What welcome would you expect?

Posted by: Keiel.7489

Keiel.7489

Might also want educate yourself on the definition of a troll.

[DONE]

Posted by: Darkobra.6439

Darkobra.6439

solution, please.

1. Start the download
  2. Go to bed

I remember waiting a few days for Half Life 2 to download.

Alternatively, copy the game folder from a friend – you will be presented with a 10MB download when you launch it for the first time and nothing more.

Unfortunately for us, our solutions which are actually common sense are deemed as trolling by the OP.

Posted by: CureForLiving.5360

CureForLiving.5360

Bah, even my console games have updates when they are first loaded. I don’t remember which PS3 game I played last, but I couldn’t even start it until after the system had run the game updates for it.

Well technically yes, but most simple player console games don’t necessarily need patches to be played (well unless it’s a multiplayer game with no single player elements). There might be exceptions where you have game breaking bugs, but the majority you can pop into your console (make sure it’s not connected since some games force a update on you) and play.

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

This trend frightens me when I get back into console gaming, the idea a game just released is needing to be patched after it was considered finished enough to be shipped. I mean, a couple months down the line, fine . . . but a day one patch?

Bonus points for a day one patch which is about stability issues or game crashes.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

but it shouldn’t be the same binary from Aug 2012 either.

It’s not.

however, they don’t up update the binary at every single release.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Percentage done is number of files, not by total transfer size. A lot of the later files are relatively tiny and go quickly.

It’s an MMO. The only thing that hasn’t changed a lot is likely quite a bit of the audio files although there has been new music, sound effects and dialog since the game was released.

So yes. It’s a huge game and it’s going to take you a bit to download it all.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

GrandmaFunk.3052

This trend frightens me when I get back into console gaming, the idea a game just released is needing to be patched after it was considered finished enough to be shipped. I mean, a couple months down the line, fine . . . but a day one patch?

So between the ship date and the release date, devs should just sit on their hands and not work on fixes till a few months after release?

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Tobias Trueflight.8350

So between the ship date and the release date, devs should just sit on their hands and not work on fixes till a few months after release?

Don’t stuff words in my mouth, you might choke me on something I never said, to try to appear clever. It’s less “they fix things immediately” and more “they released things which could have used a little longer to fix serious bugs”.

It mostly comes to mind from a roommate I used to have buying a game for a console and needing to patch it to play it at all. I’m used to some of these things on PC, because there’s always something which slips through. It just feels more often, there are serious things slipping through instead of smaller things.

It’s not just computers either . . . it worried me when it happened to MTG where a card they hadn’t even released yet got put on the Banned list for being potentially broken.

And no, I don’t have a solution other than “allow more time for testing and bugfixes”, even knowing there will almost always be some which slip through the cracks.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

GrandmaFunk.3052

unfortunately, the industry is going in the other direction.

More games are being sold while still in beta and in fact a lot of games are using early access as a marketing tool. The positive fan reaction to this trend has pretty much guaranteed that “perfect on release, never to be patched” products are a thing of the past and that the new norm is continuous development.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Tobias Trueflight.8350

unfortunately, the industry is going in the other direction.

More games are being sold while still in beta and in fact a lot of games are using early access as a marketing tool. The positive fan reaction to this trend has pretty much guaranteed that “perfect on release, never to be patched” products are a thing of the past and that the new norm is continuous development.

I’m kind of okay with that if it’s known I’m opting in on a game in progress. I’ve done it four times so far and been generally pleased with the experience more often than disappointed.

Anyone remember how long “Minecraft” was out and still not “done”?

Bottom line, if a developer puts out a game and says flat out “this is still being worked on, but it’s complete enough we want people to play and give feedback”, I won’t complain about it being unfinished. If it’s gone far enough I can get a physical copy at Best Buy and it’s unfinished? I’ll be a little perturbed.

(But it will still beat a half dozen games I gave up on for being unplayable out of the box, and the one which almost destroyed my OS on uninstall.)

Posted by: Vol.7601

Vol.7601

Some people have no understanding and don’t even attempt at doing so.

Anet has one version of the disc that goes out and has been the same one ever since release. They more than likely send the data to 3rd parties who burn the data on to the disc, pack it and distribute it to retailers.

What happens when Anet does this for every single update, let alone quarterly?

Well you end up with thousands of obsolete copies that no retailer would want to handle. You end up with several different skus of product, which depending on the retailer, will cost you extra money. Then you factor in the shipping/return costs for returning old CD’s to Anet, which in very likelihood would end up being destroyed. Talk about immense waste.

But please OP, enlightenment on any ‘efficient’ solution to this

GrandmaFunk.3052

Bottom line, if a developer puts out a game and says flat out “this is still being worked on, but it’s complete enough we want people to play and give feedback”, I won’t complain about it being unfinished.

You can safely assume this now applies to every single online game.

(and is also generally true about most other applications and games)

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

Don’t stuff words in my mouth, you might choke me on something I never said, to try to appear clever. It’s less “they fix things immediately” and more “they released things which could have used a little longer to fix serious bugs”.

It mostly comes to mind from a roommate I used to have buying a game for a console and needing to patch it to play it at all. I’m used to some of these things on PC, because there’s always something which slips through. It just feels more often, there are serious things slipping through instead of smaller things.

It’s not just computers either . . . it worried me when it happened to MTG where a card they hadn’t even released yet got put on the Banned list for being potentially broken.

And no, I don’t have a solution other than “allow more time for testing and bugfixes”, even knowing there will almost always be some which slip through the cracks.

Side effect of adding hard drives to consoles. Now they can meet the ship date (getting a “master” out for duplication) and still have some time to fix the drop dead bugs.

It’s what happens when shipping a product so you can book it’s revenue for this quarter Vs when it’s done becomes paramount for a game company (looking at you EA).

Oh and they are going to release an offline mode patch for SimCity. Surprise they can do it.

We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Just wanted to add that I got Battlefield 4 for PS4 a week ago and even that took quite a bit of time to update before I could play it. And we’re not talking about optional DLC.

A PC MMO is obviously going to have a large update, especially one that’s been out for over a year and double especially one that releases content every 2 weeks. There are still countless tooltip fixes, bug fixes, skill balances, and graphic clean-ups, not to mention larger items like Southsun & fractals.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

Posted by: xXxOrcaxXx.9328

xXxOrcaxXx.9328

A proper reaction would be, instead of flaming befor you can even paly the game,
to ask, if arena.net could develop a tool which could update the copy of your game, writen on the disc, so you don’t have to update such a long time once you have updated your discs.
Aside from that would not help you now, I don’t even know if it would be possible.

Ranger - Guardian - Warrior - Elementalist - Necromancer - Mesmer
EU Elona Reach – Void Sentinels

Posted by: DukeEm.4385

DukeEm.4385

I thought this was a pretty obvious troll just from the first sentence.