Patch Notes & The Game The Shall Not Be Named

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Chris.7653

Chris.7653

One thing I am really disliking is the fact the community is left in the dark until AFTER the patch has hit.

The game that shall not be named, and a lot of other games post their notes weeks in advance and change them as things are needed, so the community at least has a heads up of what is to come.

It seems everything ANet does on their end winds up blind siding the community…we aren’t really given any heads up until after it has been done.

Now exploit fixes I could understand leaving out, but entire patch notes?!

There are 5 pages of profession changes coming and not even a hint to the community what they entail…

Just speaking my mind…

Posted by: Anagna.8376

Anagna.8376

Five pages?! I bet one of them details my beloved Thief turning into a kitten.

Chris.7653

Five pages?! I bet one of them details my beloved Thief turning into a kitten.

Yeah bud, it’s insane how big this patch is….honestly I am not sure why these changes were all saved up and not spread out instead of making the community wait.

All it did was cause more people to leave in frustration.

http://www.guildwarsinsider.com/john-peters-does-an-impromptu-interview-in-the-mists/

Posted by: Lorana.2468

Lorana.2468

it’s better this way, it prevents people from taking advantage of the changes before they are made and it makes sure people dont whine about stuff that was promised but wasnt added.

WoW has a PTR, GW2 doesnt.

Posted by: Undertow.2389

Undertow.2389

All posting early does is make people whine and complain about stuff they cannot directly experience the actually effects of in game, as well as things that might not even make it live. That’s all the ptr of that other game does.

Just wait.

Chris.7653

All posting early does is make people whine and complain about stuff they cannot directly experience the actually effects of in game, as well as things that might not even make it live. That’s all the ptr of that other game does.

Just wait.

It also created a disconnect between the playerbase and the developer. The players feel like nothing is moving forward, no changes are being addressed, when updates to us could solve that.

Like I said, I am to saying to list exploits, but class changes, bug fixes pve or pvp etc….these go a long way with keeping that trust from the community that the devs are listening and are hard at work.

Posted by: Kumu Honua.2751

Kumu Honua.2751

We will find out on the 15th.

It’s actually so much better not to release them till then. The forums would be full of whining about how they are all going to reroll to XYZ class because of a change.

Imagine if they had posted the Guardian GS changes before hand? Imagine the level of whining that would have happened without seeing it in game. Just look at what we had after the patch let alone weeks before hand.

That’s not even to mention the pure chaos that certain things would cause to the economy.

Nope. GW2 does it right. The game that shall not be named should follow suit, but they are too entrenched in their version.

Sylvari Guardian. – Dragonbrand.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Troll elsewhere.

He’s not trolling. He’s right. There are good, sound reasons why the patch notes shouldn’t be released early, one of them is because releasing patch notes early does not accomplish anything practical.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Chris.7653

Troll elsewhere.

He’s not trolling. He’s right. There are good, sound reasons why the patch notes shouldn’t be released early, one of them is because releasing patch notes early does not accomplish anything practical.

Like I said…not posting notes does create a disconnect from the community and the developer.

I am sure if some people were able to see they are actively working on certain things that are frustrating them it would go a long way in retaining players and help make more players happy.

Posted by: Broken Angel.4956

Broken Angel.4956

Everyone here disagrees with the OP, yet im a troll.
1) Why me?
2) Why isn’t anyone else calling me a troll

Definition of trolling: a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,3 extraneous, or off-topic messages
I did nothing of the sort. SO why me :-(

Edit:

I am sure if some people were able to see they are actively working on certain things that are frustrating them it would go a long way in retaining players and help make more players happy.

They do see it. ANet keeps announcing monthly updates. They dont need to post patch notes way before patch. They just need to keep making patches. (and releasing notes when ready)

(edited by Broken Angel.4956)

Posted by: BrickMcThornbody.7094

BrickMcThornbody.7094

One thing I am really disliking is the fact the community is left in the dark until AFTER the patch has hit.

The game that shall not be named, and a lot of other games post their notes weeks in advance and change them as things are needed, so the community at least has a heads up of what is to come.

It seems everything ANet does on their end winds up blind siding the community…we aren’t really given any heads up until after it has been done.

There are 5 pages of profession changes coming and not even a hint to the community what they entail…

Just speaking my mind…

Patch notes aren’t finalized until you release something, did you know that? Companies that release patch notes weeks upon weeks before release of a patch usually are too rigid and are not fluid enough to squeeze in extra things into that patch – ANet as well as A LOT of other MMOs do business like that. They have a fluid development process.

Another problem with releasing patch notes prior to the patch is whiners and complainers. “Ohh this didn’t make it into the patch, you guys are LIARS!”, There are people STILL complaining because the devs didn’t include certain things in the release that they briefly mentioned in early interviews about the game.

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

I agree. It’s better this way that they put in all the patches & fixes all at once. This way players will know that any key changes to the game – if they come they will come every week or month around the same time (like what league of legends does).

And it’s very simple if they want to always keep their words for patch notes…. just give yourself enough time by “over-shooting” the date of the patch release; that way if it comes early it’ll come as a pleasant surprise, and if it comes late then it will still be within the time range. If people complain about your scheduling, then that’s the media & people themselves being childish.

Also, it would be nice if they keep players up to date with what each of their developer groups are doing. IE. what’s the ‘bug-fixing team trying to fix for next months patch? – or what problem is the ’optimization team’ focusing on atm? Because those things… they must have been working for awhile now right. Just so that they can tell players what they have picked up doing, & what they are ‘not’ working on (again, if players become unreasonable & spams complaints on forum, warn them to stop and if it continues just ‘ban’ them. That’s not your service issue; that’s people’s maturity issue. You guys are trying to do what you can to make the game better but they aren’t).

But if Anet really want to provide a so-called best service for customer, one thing that they’re certainly not doing is keeping people in the circle. They seem to be so scared of offending some individuals that they just simply keep everyone else out of the loop.

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Chris.7653

I agree. It’s better this way that they put in all the patches & fixes all at once. This way players will know that any key changes to the game – if they come they will come every week around the same time.

Well do you think it would be at least wise to show the areas they are working on?

For example a lot of the community is up in arms about Thief, wouldn’t it maintain the communication between players by simply posting in like a weekly sticky “In this upcoming patch we plan to address spike damage with the thief” or something like that.

And no I am not going after thief, I was using it as an example.

Chris.7653

Everyone here disagrees with the OP, yet im a troll.
1) Why me?
2) Why isn’t anyone else calling me a troll

Definition of trolling: a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,3 extraneous, or off-topic messages
I did nothing of the sort. SO why me :-(

Edit:

They do see it. ANet keeps announcing monthly updates. They dont need to post patch notes way before patch. They just need to keep making patches. (and releasing notes when ready)

Coming here in a sarcastic manner by posting “This just in:” in front of everything is inflammatory. So yes, you were trolling by your own definition.

I think a compromise of sorts would be to at least state they are working on certain areas. If they would make a weekly sticky to say “We are addressing X in the next patch” it would go a long way.

Also saving up 5 pages of class changes is a bit much, I think if they would communicate more than just popping in the mist it would help a lot and address class changes a little quicker before it turns to 5 pages.

And listen, I love ANet and I love the game….If I didn’t I wouldn’t post suggestions or give feedback on here.

Posted by: Eveningstar.6940

Eveningstar.6940

Troll elsewhere.

Like I said…not posting notes does create a disconnect from the community and the developer.

I disagree with you. Not posting notes doesn’t create any kind of disconnect between the community and the developer. This disconnect doesn’t even exist.

An honest question: How much more communication do you want from the developers? We already have:

• Frequent Developer interactions on our forums
  • An impromptu Q&A session in the Mists
  • Frequent updates on what’s in the works, what needs to be looked at and what they’re working on
  • Updates and communication via Reddit
  • A live Q & A session which happened just after Halloween

I’m not really seeing your point that there’s some kind of wall of silence between developers and players. We’ve been getting a lot of feedback from the developers, and frequent patch updates as well.

Just be patient. The patch is coming on the 15th. We already have a preview of what’s coming, and the full notes will be available on the 15th.

Valerie Cross: Roleplayer, Writer, Tarnished Coast

A Beginner’s Guide to Guardians

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

I agree. It’s better this way that they put in all the patches & fixes all at once. This way players will know that any key changes to the game – if they come they will come every week around the same time.

Well do you think it would be at least wise to show the areas they are working on?

For example a lot of the community is up in arms about Thief, wouldn’t it maintain the communication between players by simply posting in like a weekly sticky “In this upcoming patch we plan to address spike damage with the thief” or something like that.

Other than fueling QQ threads on the forums, it would be a waste of time.

Posted by: CelticWish.2314

CelticWish.2314

The game I won’t mentioned, kept emailing me telling me my account is doing illegal activities in game. The problem is I hadn’t been in that game I won’t mention for years and my credit card isn’t paying for it. So I wonder what in nine hells is going on with that company and their game I won’t mention? Seems they got some internal issues going on over there.

Posted by: Phy.2913

Phy.2913

Or, even more likely, the company you think is emailing you isn’t actually emailing you. Phishing, look it up.

Posted by: FluffyDoe.7539

FluffyDoe.7539

^This.

But yes (@ Chris), like I said they need to keep players in the loop with their progress rate, because that’s what a customer expects from their service provider. Anet can’t always “directly communicate with their customers”, sometimes that’s more of a waste of time compare to telling them to look up where the answers are.

If handling each customer is too difficult, then Anet should just create some of kind of “progress list” to categorize general inquiries into:

- in progress
- not yet decided
- ready to be implemented in the upcoming patch.

That way if people wants to know, then they just look it up or create their own inquiry, and if Anet feels that their inquiry hasn’t been made clear then they can add that onto the forum site.

The complaints on “GW2 Discussion” Forum looks like a mess right now. It’s looks more like a board than a forum.

EDIT: And I’m suggesting them to absolutely make a Progress Inquiry Section on this forum because the “GW2 Discussion Forum” is a mess right now; there are too many complaint threads about “why is or isn’t this and that implemented in the game yet”, and yet Anet hasn’t put those threads into one section – instead, they just let them float on the “GW2 Discussion Page”.

(edited by FluffyDoe.7539)

Chris.7653

^This.

But yes (@ Chris), like I said they need to keep players in the loop with their progress rate, because that’s what a customer expects from their service provider. Anet can’t always “directly communicate with their customers”, sometimes that’s more of a waste of time compare to telling them to look up where the answers are.

If handling each customer is too difficult, then Anet should just create some of kind of “progress list” to categorize general inquiries into:

- in progress
- not yet decided
- ready to be implemented in the upcoming patch.

That way if people wants to know, then they just look it up or create their own inquiry, and if Anet feels that their inquiry hasn’t been made clear then they can add that onto the forum site.

The complaints on “GW2 Discussion” Forum looks like a mess right now. It’s looks more like a board than a forum.

Yeah I guess it boils down to what you said, we need to be kept in the loop.

As long as we know they are working on something it goes a lot further than silence then BLAM big patch.

Posted by: Suicidal Hamster.4816

Suicidal Hamster.4816

I think a compromise of sorts would be to at least state they are working on certain areas. If they would make a weekly sticky to say “We are addressing X in the next patch” it would go a long way.

the only time a change is sure to be added is when the patch goes live, until then it can be removed a minute before patch. posting stuff that may or may not be added in the next patch would just create more headache for everyone, especially the devs if they have to remove a fix last min

Also saving up 5 pages of class changes is a bit much, I think if they would communicate more than just popping in the mist it would help a lot and address class changes a little quicker before it turns to 5 pages.

i think you are being a bit selfish on this one. class changes have traditionally almost always been done en masse so this style of patch isnt new to GW and doing 1 patch every couple of days for each class doesnt make sense as the ones that didnt get a patch would moan “why does the ranger get an update and my mes doesnt? come on Anet, how long are you gonna make me wait. blah blah whine whine”

again, telling people that their favorite class is going to be changed this way and that would create panic threads from people that dont even know the impact of what they are panicking about. everyone knows there are going to be continuous fixes and balances with the classes for a bit while Anet tweaks the game balance.

the history is to expect char class balances once a month with few exceptions. this is the patch for this month and it just happens to be a bit more healthy than some others.

Posted by: prenavo.3926

prenavo.3926

I’d rather them make the changes that they feel are necessary and then post them when the patch goes live as opposed to everyone knowing what they are and then complaining about changes that are made before having a chance to try them out and having to wait even longer while they go back and fix and fix and fix things for people who will never be satisfied thus pushing the fixes back into eternity. I also like the element of surprise that would be lost in knowing too much.

Chris.7653

the only time a change is sure to be added is when the patch goes live, until then it can be removed a minute before patch. posting stuff that may or may not be added in the next patch would just create more headache for everyone, especially the devs if they have to remove a fix last min

i think you are being a bit selfish on this one. class changes have traditionally almost always been done en masse so this style of patch isnt new to GW and doing 1 patch every couple of days for each class doesnt make sense as the ones that didnt get a patch would moan “why does the ranger get an update and my mes doesnt? come on Anet, how long are you gonna make me wait. blah blah whine whine”

again, telling people that their favorite class is going to be changed this way and that would create panic threads from people that dont even know the impact of what they are panicking about. everyone knows there are going to be continuous fixes and balances with the classes for a bit while Anet tweaks the game balance.

the history is to expect char class balances once a month with few exceptions. this is the patch for this month and it just happens to be a bit more healthy than some others.

Being a bit selfish?

You think people who play a class they enjoy but is RIDDLED with bugs just wanting to know if they are being addressed selfish?

I’m sorry but wanting your classes bugs addressed without having to wait a month at a time for 5 pages of patch notes to be accumulated is not selfish.

Chris.7653

Just speaking my mind…

You can’t wait another week? Man, what is it with this credit card generation? I want it now!

Ironic seeing how you apparently didn’t read the entire thread at all and commented right away.

Man what is with this TL;DR forum generation? I want to reply now!

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

If they are still working on it then they may not be able to get it all out why would you want info that tells you more then what will happen?
In some ways its good to hold off on info. it keeps things stable its to easy for the sky to fall for ppl.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Chris.7653

If they are still working on it then they may not be able to get it all out why would you want info that tells you more then what will happen?
In some ways its good to hold off on info. it keeps things stable its to easy for the sky to fall for ppl.

Yeah but I mean it would at least be nice even for a vague “We are working on X” sticky…it shows the community they are listening and are actively working to make it better.

To many times have I seen in chat or on the forums people complaining devs don’t listen, nothing on the forum or dev tracker if they are fixing issues. Heck just last night I was watching map chat and guy was saying his friends straight left the game becasue they didn’t feel the communication from the devs to the community was as strong as it was in beta and now they didn’t think their class bugs were being addressed.

Posted by: Jski.6180

Jski.6180

Yeah but I mean it would at least be nice even for a vague “We are working on X” sticky…it shows the community they are listening and are actively working to make it better.

To many times have I seen in chat or on the forums people complaining devs don’t listen, nothing on the forum or dev tracker if they are fixing issues. Heck just last night I was watching map chat and guy was saying his friends straight left the game becasue they didn’t feel the communication from the devs to the community was as strong as it was in beta and now they didn’t think their class bugs were being addressed.

Do you think they are trying to make the game worst? Do you think any dev of games has been here for this long dose not know how to take feedback? Should they send an email telling you thank you for your idea we may use it?
Its like ppl are asking for the game to be made by them self and yes beta is just that a pure feedback type of set up making sure bug are being removed there will NEVER be a time like that in any game after its past its beta so that person on map chat was just asking for the imposable.

Main : Jski Imaginary ELE (Necromancer)
Guild : OBEY (The Legacy) I call it Obay , TLC (WvW) , UNIV (other)
Server : FA

Posted by: Gilandred.9870

Gilandred.9870

Swtor pulled ranked warzones at the 11th hour before a major patch, literally. Oh the kittentorm that followed. And that’s what happens if you release patch notes subject to change. No one understands the “subject to change” part, and the developers credibility takes a major hit.

Posted by: Suicidal Hamster.4816

Suicidal Hamster.4816

the game is very young, its unreasonable to expect a perfect game at this stage considering what has been put into it. you will have to suffer with the rest of us while they iron out the bugs and release the fixes as they see fit. lets face it, some issues with the classes are well known but not high on the priority list. ie: the guardian greatsword skill #3, Leap of Faith which doesnt always execute properly has been bugged since beta

so yeah, selfish is expecting them to fix all your character’s deficiencies first time around. and, yes, you can expect to wait a month for the next patch, it gives them the time to gather information about multiple bugs, find solutions for them and roll them out in 1 comprehensive package. doing 1 class at a time is inefficient and would slow everything down.

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

I have no problem with patch notes being released only when the patch itself goes live. Knowing beforehand serves little practical purpose IMO.

Though there could be less delay between the patch being released and the notes being put up. It seems like sometimes it takes hours before the notes show up.

Posted by: Wasselin.1235

Wasselin.1235

I like how League of Legends does it. There is a patch preview video before the patch that lists a few of the changes and why those changes are being made. Then the patch notes appear closer to the day of the patch or after the patch launches.

It’s kind of a happy medium between no warning at all before the patch and complete patch notes. I think it’s also a good PR move because it helps soften the blow for some changes to get an explanation plus promotes the patch and the game. It also lets the player base know that the game is moving forward.

“Please find my dear friends… Dead or Alive” -redmakoto

Posted by: illgot.1056

illgot.1056

posting early does not really help the community.

All the community can do it complain about the changes before they are implemented which helps no one.

Posted by: KratosAngel.7289

KratosAngel.7289

Well, I don’t see why there should be a full patchnote ahead of the patch. Honestly, as long as I have quite a good idea of what’s coming, which is the case here, I’m happy.
Not telling anything would be bad, but I see no point in telling everything, it could spoil the (bad ?) surprise.
You know there will be new PVE island, a new dungeon of a new type, new PVP maps, big changes about professions …
What do you need more ? Just wait and see.

I think, when they say 5 pages, they mean like 5 pages on a little wordpad opened as a window. I can’t believe there can be 5 pages on an open office or word document just for profession changes or this would be amazing O_o

Posted by: Vakirauta.6397

Vakirauta.6397

The GW2 Community sure does not know what a troll is, or what they do. I agree with the OP, I really am dying to know what changes are being made for the professions. Hell, I didn’t even know it was all but 5 pages.

The Iron Butterfly