Patch Notes Up! Discussion

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Korrigan.4837

Korrigan.4837

And some say warriors got nerfed…
I’m more than happy with my NON-BERZERKER warrior

The Farstar Alliance [TFA] – Gandara Server.
A PvX guild for mature players with a life.

Posted by: Mardermann.7468

Mardermann.7468

I really want to know what ANET has planned for rangers or what they think the role of a ranger is.

I have several other 80s
will be playing with thief necro and guardian some more now…
but almost all my Laurels and stuff got into Apothecary gear for my shortbow/double cat Ranger… which I actually enjoyed… ANET took my fun.
So I actually would like a representative taking a stance about that

Posted by: AngryCat.4825

AngryCat.4825

To range is the act of wandering or roaming over a large area. Fantasy rangers are calls so because of their roaming and vagabond nature not because they use a ranged weapon. The most famous (and perhaps first) ranger wielded a greatsword. Perhaps the second most famous ranger wields 2 scimitars (though he sometimes has a bow)

As GW2 is a game with firearms, I submit to you that the second most famous ranger used pistols. The most famous ranger is clearly Chuck Norris.

Koia
Fort Aspenwood
“Oil down.” “Mortar down.” “Stupid arrow cart.”

Posted by: locoman.1974

locoman.1974

To range is the act of wandering or roaming over a large area. Fantasy rangers are calls so because of their roaming and vagabond nature not because they use a ranged weapon. The most famous (and perhaps first) ranger wielded a greatsword. Perhaps the second most famous ranger wields 2 scimitars (though he sometimes has a bow)

As GW2 is a game with firearms, I submit to you that the second most famous ranger used pistols. The most famous ranger is clearly Chuck Norris.

What about the Lone Ranger?… he used pistols as well, but his armor could use a new dye job, IMHO..

It’s a pile of Elonian protection magic, mixed with a little monk training,
wrapped up in some crazy ritualist hoo-ha from Cantha.
A real grab bag of ‘you can’t hurt me. They’re called Guardians.

Posted by: Lokki.1092

Lokki.1092

What about the Lone Ranger?… he used pistols as well, but his armor could use a new dye job, IMHO..

I will give you guys Chuck over that drow… perhaps the lone ranger… But strider is number 1

Posted by: aswedEMD.3597

aswedEMD.3597

-Players will no longer get stuck when using the Union Waypoint.

This has to be my favorite patch note in a long time. I can’t tell you the amount of money I’ve had to spend to get myself unstuck. I’m in Malchor’s Leap a lot, so this almost made me cry.

Posted by: notebene.3190

notebene.3190

This feature can be used by either:

Selecting a new “AoE Loot On Interact” option, which will use the same key binding as the “Interact” key but will only trigger the AoE Loot functionality while none of the forms of the interact dialog are visible.

Creating a new key binding named “AoE Loot” under the “Miscellaneous” section of the key bindings tab on the options panel.

Either.

So in theory, I check the AoE loot thing, and I can just hit F like I always have, and it loots everything? But then there’s the ‘only when it’s available’ caveat.

Well, it doesn’t seem to be working. I’m looting one thing at a time still. Now…if interact is up to loot ‘one’ thing, then why wouldn’t the area one be available, if I have plenty of bag space? The other body is maybe 3 ft away?

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

Rangers shortbow is nerfed all 5 skills from 1200 to 900… Thanks Anet I’ve wanted to return GW2 for some time now, and this probably enables me to do so.
They’re called RANGERS for a reason they fight at range. Might as well call the profession a melee class kthxbyeinb4haters

… That isn’t why they’re called Rangers. Ranger refers to someone who roams ranges of land. I.e. a nomad, or a sentinel, or a warden. In most fantasy settings, rangers are mobile skirmishers who are adept at both melee and range.

lol adept, that’s a good one…

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

Posted by: Mortalitas.9710

Mortalitas.9710

Well the rangers are kitten the elementalist are kitten. Thief forums are overly happy it seems guardians and warriors meh. Engines and necro’s seem happy. I think the definition of Balance should be looked up. Balance isn’t making one class weaker and buffing the already OP ones.
I have a few different level 80’s and the difference is amazing when you switch characters. I hope they reevaluate what exactly they are trying to do. A lot of people are kitten ill reserve judgment till I get in WvW and see the changes.

E. BlackThorn Mesmer

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

BALANCE, BUG-FIXING, POLISH

• Ranger profession
    * Removed ranger profession from the game. They weren’t supposed to be there in the first place.

Posted by: dan.3618

dan.3618

They said this patch would make unviable builds viable, well that clearly hasnt happened the viable builds are more viable and the unviable even more unviable.

So for mesmers for example you would expect them to scrap mantras all together and replace with a whole new set of abilitys and traits, that would of been fun.

And then the same for every class.

And then some balance changes.

Maybe they were lazy and they actually just copied the fake patchnotes rather than making their own.

Substance E.4852

BALANCE, BUG-FIXING, POLISH

• Ranger profession
    * Removed ranger profession from the game. They weren’t supposed to be there in the first place.

Oh no, we are supposed to be here. We’re just the plucky comic relief of the game now.
Whenever you feel bad about lag or get screwed by the mystic toilet a Ranger walks on set, says something stupid, falls over and everyone laughs and feels a whole lot better.

Lokki.1092

First of all every trait line was buffed, not just Zeal, Valor and Honor are very common especially outside of sPvP/PvE. Unlike the Ele Guards were granted two stun breaks and an AoE stun cleanse with none taken away. Sustain buffs to Valor (in fairness this line was already crowded with amazing traits) and to offhands. Of all the things you could say about Guards lacking options for sustain is not one of them.

When the devs wanted people to take less attractive options the rule seems to have been that everyone with a ‘dominant’ build had it punished, except for Guards. Why the double standards?

Honor, Radiance, Valor, and Virtue each got one or 2 unused traits ‘buffed’ This is why I said you cannot have the newly buffed traits with the current builds. We don’t use them now. Changing to them would be a new build. All these were minor and not much for us to get excited about. However the Zeal line got 2 buffed traits, a 2 traits in one deal and a whole new one. It was clearly the buffed line.

If I had to guess why the double standard as you put it I would guess it’s because while guardians are good in all aspects of the game they have never been and still likely wont be the “best” in any. There were builds that were good as a guardian but nothing that simply dominated.

Truly I don’t know why they didn’t nerf anything but again I would guess because nothing needed nerfing. They are no more bunkery than the other popular bunker builds and no where near the burst or DPS as the bursty or DPS builds. They are just generally good at everything.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

My prediction is you will see a lot less mesmers. Rangers are going to be near-extinct. The anet guys in charge of this patch really dropped the ball.

(edited by danbuter.2314)

Posted by: HykCraft.4610

HykCraft.4610

AOE looting? Wow.. that should of been in on Day 1. Only took them.. like 10 months.

Sorrow’s Furnace US

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

They need to fix this Ranger nerf fast, and the best way I can think of is to take back the nerfs to the pet, and instead nerf the boost your pets get in the Beastmaster Traitline for SPVP ONLY. There, that fixes the problem people there have with BM rangers, and it doesn’t nerf the rest of us to oblivion. There ANet, I did YOUR JOB FOR YOU on how to fix it.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

Posted by: Kryptonite.9376

Kryptonite.9376

Is the hysteria here as bad as it is in the warrior sub-forum? The patch notes look pretty good to me; but those guys are losing their minds because their precious ’zerker greatsword build took a bit of a nerf, which of course means the world is ending as we speak.

You must not have been reading. In the warrior forum a lot of people knew the trait changes to the zerk greatsword build would be changed. That wasn’t the problem, in pve we are still almost as effective as we were, we lost a bit of damage, but just damage.

We were one of the weakest classes in pvp, especially wvw, we lack sustainability and are outshined in any role, and none of that was changed, instead we have a lot of different defensive traits that supposedly would help us but really did not push us to increase our strength in any given area. The warrior itself needs a giant rework.

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

They said this patch would make unviable builds viable, well that clearly hasnt happened the viable builds are more viable and the unviable even more unviable.

You’ve determined that all by yourself? You’ve theory crafted and tested multiple builds for all eight professions and determined that none of the less popular builds were made any more viable? Man, you work fast.

RyuDragnier.9476

For Ranger, darkace, we don’t even need to look at the builds to know that. They halved the damage for almost every pet we have, making the only viable build at this point for Ranger the Trap Ranger build. BM has been destroyed, at least in its offensive capabilities.

[hS]

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

For Ranger, darkace, we don’t even need to look at the builds to know that. They halved the damage for almost every pet we have, making the only viable build at this point for Ranger the Trap Ranger build. BM has been destroyed, at least in its offensive capabilities.

And reduced the crit rate of our most-used pet(s) by 75%

Posted by: Bryzy.2719

Bryzy.2719

The only way Anet can redeem this ranger nerf is by buffing the damage of the ranger character itself, e.g. By either buffing our auto attack damage or by giving us a half decent power signet. Wishful thinking though of course.

Posted by: Fenrir.5493

Fenrir.5493

Lets talk about thieves and blind, thives wars 2, lets reroll a thief and just play thefs everyone, maybe that day they will nerf them instead of balancing the game towards them.

“We also realize that we can make mistakes but we dont care because I HAVE THE POWAAA!!”

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

If it’s the most-used pet, it’s the most-used for a reason. Perhaps it was too good? Perhaps a nerf was warranted?

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

Does ANet even play this game, or have any knowledge of it at all?

The patch proves that they don’t, I can’t comprehend the logic of nerfing to extinction the weakest profession in the game.

I am on the verge of crafting The Dreamer, but now what’s the point? Who would want a useless my little pony stick?

Substance E.4852

If it’s the most-used pet, it’s the most-used for a reason. Perhaps it was too good? Perhaps a nerf was warranted?

No, it’s because the others sucked.

Posted by: Kichwas.7152

Kichwas.7152

Quick Shot: Decreased the range to 900. Increased the damage by 14%.
Crippling Shot: Decreased the range to 900. Increased the damage by 14%.
Concussion Shot: Decreased the range to 900. Increased the damage by 14%.

Wasn’t an actual damage increase, They upped those abilities to do the exact same damage as our spammable Crossfire auto attack, That’s right..Unlike most classes in the game the Rangers auto attack actually did more damage then all its other attacks

Plus their assorted conditions are still there. & now there is no sacrifice to make the choice to use them. Buff.

And then:
Call Lightning: Increased the damage by 150%.

Its from one our Spirits…so it waste a utility slot for something that really isn’t worth it*

Wasn’t worth it before, might be worth it now. Buff.

And these:
Long Range Shot: Reduced the aftercast from .5 seconds to .25 seconds. Increased the arrow speed by 15%.
Rapid Fire: Reduced the initial cast time by .4 seconds. Increased the arrow speed by 15%.
Point Blank Shot: Increased the arrow speed by 15%.
Barrage: Increased the cripple duration by 50%.

Longbow is improved now..

Yeah. Buff.

Splitblade: Reduced the aftercast from .4 seconds to .2 seconds.
Path of Scars: This skill now pulls enemies on the return flight.

Path of Scars having a pull doesn’t make Offhand Axe more usable..Cause the reason Offhand axe isn’t used is because of how bad the number 5 ability is

- Perspective. I use #5 ability all the time in PvE dungeons & world events – where it is amazingly potent in both for hitting a mass of enemies. I suspect it would also shine in WvW when in a thick battle – like in the inside a tower.

But this just boosts up one of the other off-hand axe abilities as well. So… buff.

And lets not forget the buff to splitblade… :p

Stalker’s Strike: This skill no longer loses evade duration when traited with

This was a bug fix, They broke this is the last patch on the 12th…not a buff

End result however is working better than it was, so buff.

Winter’s Bite:. Fixed an issue so that it now chills for 3 seconds (as listed in the tooltip) instead of 2 seconds.

This is again, is a bug fix

Which improves performance of the ability, so… buff.

Keen Edge: This trait now activates when the player strikes a target whose health is below 50%, instead of when the player’s health reaches 75%.
- That’s a BIG buff…

This is an actual buff, to some extent, Its more usable not on Shortbow, I actually would use it for Barraging on Longbow because Retal would usually set it off, but it is a buff

Essentially it means a player has more control over triggering the ability, and doesn’t have to play ‘wannabe suicide bomber’ to do it. This means that the second half, the burn phase, the ranger gets to shine more.

Beastmaster’s Might: This trait now grants 3 stacks of might for 15 seconds.
- Suicide pets FTW.

not that great, Comparable talents give 5 stacks of might, or something else

But it is still a buff. And lets you get some use out of that pesky pet that keeps getting hurt… especially if you swap it out before it hits zero, and the other one then also goes to 50%. Still – managing the use of this will be very tricky.

Spotter: This trait has been increased from 70 precision to 150.
- That’s insanely good.

No one will ever run this because you can’t afford to..We have a Range increase and Pierce Arrows, viaing for the same spot, and in GM slot we have the Signet Buffs being usable by the Ranger talent..Those 3 will always be more valuable then that talent

Melee rangers will run it, as will Axe rangers. I’m a sword/torch axe/axe ranger and an additional 70 precision is nothing to laugh at.

Companion’s Might: This trait now grants 5 seconds of might to the player’s pet (up from 1 second).
- There’s your pet damage back.

Not even close, You’ll never stack enough might to equal the damage loss by the pets this patch

In a span of 5 seconds I’d assume an easy ability to do 1-2 crits on a regular basis. Meaning this buff might be perma-cast on my pet.

Peak Strength: Damage bonus when the player’s health is above 90% has been increased from 5% to 10%.
- Big buff to the ‘stand in the back half AFK’ WoW style “hunters”.

Minor Buff

Taking a 4000 hit to 4400 instead of 4200. Minor, but adds up fast. Combine this with the shortbow damage buffs, and you can make up much of the gap if not all of the gap lost from the pet nerf.

It might even work the same way for a melee ranger if you manage to avoid aggro.

http://kichwas.wordpress.com/ – GW2 Blog Presenting the Opposing View
JAH Bless – Equal Rights and Justice for all.
Justice And Honor – Tarnished Coast.

Kichwas.7152

They’re called RANGERS for a reason they fight at range. Might as well call the profession a melee class kthxbyeinb4haters

When I was a kid in spelling class, we also had to write the definition of the word next to it on our spelling list.

Do they no longer do that in school?

but, not to belittle the point, it has become almost cliched that a ranger in any fantasy-set game is going to use a bow and have a pet.

WoW was not the first fantasy game.

That honor belongs to a game called ‘Chainmail’ which later got renamed to ‘Dungeons and Dragons.’

Nor is WoW the last fantasy game, nor even the majority of fantasy games.

(edited by Kichwas.7152)

Lokki.1092

The only way Anet can redeem this ranger nerf is by buffing the damage of the ranger character itself, e.g. By either buffing our auto attack damage or by giving us a half decent power signet. Wishful thinking though of course.

Don’t play a ranger much (only level 40ish) but didn’t rangers get a damage buff to every ranged skill?

If pet damage was a percentage of your original damage, and they buffed your personal damage while they nerfed pets, but pets were also stupid, couldn’t dodge and always died. didn’t you get a damage buff?

Was the damage increase not high enough?

RyuDragnier.9476

Don’t play a ranger much (only level 40ish) but didn’t rangers get a damage buff to every ranged skill?

If pet damage was a percentage of your original damage, and they buffed your personal damage while they nerfed pets, but pets were also stupid, couldn’t dodge and always died. didn’t you get a damage buff?

They did not buff every ranged skill. Only the ones for the shortbow. LB only got a projectile increase, and our remaining weapons (save for axe) were left out in the cold. And we have a LOT of weapons.

[hS]

Substance E.4852

When I was a kid in spelling class, we also had to write the definition of the word next to it on our spelling list.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/ranger/

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

Unparallelled archers…
from a distance…

Posted by: Lithril Ashwalker.6230

Lithril Ashwalker.6230

quit kittening about thieves…it wasnt hard to counter one, if you couldn’t LEARN to play one and learn about them. mesmers and a good def war/guardian could easily take them on…uninstall/stfu and learn about countering.

RyuDragnier.9476

Lithril, the hard part about thieves is all the stealth. You know, the ONE buff that is impossible to counter in this game other than the obvious one which is uncounterable for a reason (invulnerable).

[hS]

Posted by: killcannon.2576

killcannon.2576

Lol, the apologists are out in full force.

Shelved Ranger till Anet gets back on the wagon, will be playing my necro more.

Will be playing Staffie ele a bit more to see if it’s actually worth it

Have to change around my warrior build a bit, but nothing drastic

Other classes…they just moved stuff around, changed the play style a bit with the Mesmer, should be an interesting meta change.

Overall? Maybe gave the Staff ele a slightly more viable build.
Zerk warriors will have to shuffle a bit, but they are still more than viable. Other builds for Warriors slightly…slightly…more viable (won’t change till they address the synergy of toughness and vitality).
Rangers have had their best builds moved to be as mediocre as the rest of their builds (great job)
Mesmers- changed most of their meta
Necros-Lovin it, too bad they didn’t use the same mindset to balance the rest of the classes.
Guardians- Still a stable profession, more viable at range
Engies- nuff said, play em if you find them fun.

Thieves-

Attachments:

Lokki.1092

They did not buff every ranged skill. Only the ones for the shortbow. LB only got a projectile increase, and our remaining weapons (save for axe) were left out in the cold. And we have a LOT of weapons.

Ahh makes sense. Wasn’t sure. Wonder what the thinking was on that change. I’ve never once thought. “Darn rangers do too much damage”

Posted by: Atrabelos.7584

Atrabelos.7584

Rangers rely on a keen eye, a steady hand, and the power of nature itself. Unparalleled archers, rangers are capable of bringing down foes from a distance with their bows. With traps, nature spirits, and a stable of loyal pets at their command, rangers can adapt to any situation.

Unparallelled archers…
from a distance…

“Rangers can adapt to any situation.”

The beast mastery nerf was meant to counteract a growing subset of bunker Rangers who stacked regen without sacrificing much damage due to relying on their pets. You saw these all the time in WvW – they were an extremely popular roaming build and were incredibly hard to take down. The damage nerfs for pets mean that you can’t stack defense anymore and still hit hard.

Shortbow is still completely viable anyways – yes, it’s now 900 range. Shortbows always functioned best in that range to begin with due to their reliance on flanking, so the main thing it sacrifices is the ability to chase down or intercept foes from long ranges. And to compensate, some of its underperforming skills got buffed to be on par with the autoattack.

Both of these are nerfs, no doubt: but before condemning the class to the scrap heap and crying for the end of Rangers, please reconsider exactly how bad these nerfs are. I would also like to note that there are usually followup patches whenever a huge update comes out that fix bugs and fine-tune issues from the last patch. It is a guarantee that one is coming – this balance patch won’t be the last update Rangers ever get.

Have patience.

RyuDragnier.9476

If they wanted to fix that problem, Atrabelos, they should have just lowered the amount of a boost the Beastmastery traitline gave to the pets. There, you fixed the problem completely, without nerfing the rest of the rangers.

[hS]

Posted by: Sandpit.3467

Sandpit.3467

I would also like to note that there are usually followup patches whenever a huge update comes out that fix bugs and fine-tune issues from the last patch. It is a guarantee that one is coming – this balance patch won’t be the last update Rangers ever get.

Have patience.

You are right, rangers are still twitching, the next patch should finish them off completely.

BTW, try taking a ranger in a dungeon then tell us the nerf wasn’t bad/

Kichwas.7152

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ranger

rang·er
[reyn-jer] Show IPA
noun
1. forest ranger.
2. one of a body of armed guards who patrol a region.
3. ( initial capital letter ) a U.S. soldier in World War II specially trained for making surprise raids and attacks in small groups. Compare commando ( def 1 ) .
4. a soldier specially trained in the techniques of guerrilla warfare, especially in jungle terrain.
5. a person who ranges or roves.

The profession definition might say one thing, but if it was meant to be the word used in a manner other than the English language – its skills would have been more limited.

Since the actual skills of the class more properly match the English language, and its uses in fantasy – and even seems to be based on the 1974 game Dungeons and Dragons to a degree… I go with English.

That someone could assume ‘ranger’ means ‘range’ shows a failure at language skills – as that person didn’t quite the profession page, but cited merely the word as definitive. So there is the definition.

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

It isn’t the end of Rangers. But it is the end of the type of Ranger I most enjoyed (short bow/greatsword). Now, if you’re using a bow, you have to have a long bow. Which leaves either the short bow or greatsword out.

killcannon.2576

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/ranger

rang·er
[reyn-jer] Show IPA
noun
1. forest ranger.
2. one of a body of armed guards who patrol a region.
3. ( initial capital letter ) a U.S. soldier in World War II specially trained for making surprise raids and attacks in small groups. Compare commando ( def 1 ) .
4. a soldier specially trained in the techniques of guerrilla warfare, especially in jungle terrain.
5. a person who ranges or roves.

The profession definition might say one thing, but if it was meant to be the word used in a manner other than the English language – its skills would have been more limited.

Since the actual skills of the class more properly match the English language, and its uses in fantasy – and even seems to be based on the 1974 game Dungeons and Dragons to a degree… I go with English.

That someone could assume ‘ranger’ means ‘range’ shows a failure at language skills – as that person didn’t quite the profession page, but cited merely the word as definitive. So there is the definition.

Nice. You are now arguing that your definition of a class that Anet created is better than that of the people who created the class.

Since that is now a viable argument, I want favored enemies and the ability to wear heavy armor as per D&D. And also….guns….lots of guns.

Posted by: Dubblebass.8519

Dubblebass.8519

The part I am upset about is that I cannot gift a character slot to my friend. Just about everything save slots, inventory, and digital upgrade can be gifted.

Kieron Asbjorn – 80 Guardian | Saiuri – 80 Elementalist
Xylani – 80 Ranger | Osoroshii – 80 Warrior
GoM [LGG][COI]

Posted by: Meadfreek.6789

Meadfreek.6789

Warrior:
- Whirling Axe: Increased the damage by 50% in PvP only.

By any chance does this also apply to WvW, or is it strictly in sPvP?

If it does apply to WvW as well: Yay! Zerg busting ftw!

If it’s strictly in sPvP: why bother with the change?

Mead
Tol Acharn [PHNX]
Fort Aspenwood

Kichwas.7152

BTW, try taking a ranger in a dungeon then tell us the nerf wasn’t bad/

The only thing on the patch that will affect my ranger (sword/torch + axe/axe) in a negative way is this:
Devourer: Twin Darts: Reduced the damage by 20%.

By contrast without ANY CHANGES to my dungeon build I am getting this:
Splitblade: Reduced the aftercast from .4 seconds to .2 seconds.
Path of Scars: This skill now pulls enemies on the return flight.
Winter’s Bite:. Fixed an issue so that it now chills for 3 seconds (as listed in the tooltip) instead of 2 seconds.

Spotter: This trait has been increased from 70 precision to 150.
Keen Edge: This trait now activates when the player strikes a target whose health is below 50%, instead of when the player’s health reaches 75%.

My ranger was already doing more damage than all of my other 80s save perhaps my sword-thief.

So I think I just got buffed. I don’t think the 20% from one of my pets attacks is going to hurt that much, when the pet already only did a portion of my damage.

Posted by: danbuter.2314

danbuter.2314

Lets talk about thieves and blind, thives wars 2, lets reroll a thief and just play thefs everyone, maybe that day they will nerf them instead of balancing the game towards them.

Thieves aren’t even close to op. The only people who have trouble beating them just don’t know how to play.

Posted by: Vahlen.9508

Vahlen.9508

And some say warriors got nerfed…
I’m more than happy with my NON-BERZERKER warrior

So basically since you were already performing at a sub-par level you don’t care? Makes sense I guess………..if you never break the speed limit in a Ferrari it wouldn’t matter to you if someone swapped the engine out for a 4-cylinder.

Warriors were garbage before this patch in PvP, and these changes accomplished something I didn’t think was possible……..it made them worse. As for PvE, it shouldn’t be a point of balance because any PvE content in the game atm is so brain-dead easy it could be completed by a mildly mentally handicapped individual running a random build in random gear.

killcannon.2576

Nice. You are now arguing that your definition of a class that Anet created is better than that of the people who created the class.

I’m pointing out that the person was ignorant of basic English for thinking ‘ranger’ meant ranged… they have no basis for that thinking other than the sound of a word.

As for the ArenaNet argument… look at what the class does. It’s not a WoW hunter…

It supposed to do what they describe it doing. Not sure why you’re even bringing WoW into it. Who wanted it to be a WoW hunter? Are you saying Anet wanted it to be a WoW hunter? Please explain.

Ranger as a GW2 class means what they describe it to mean. Not a LoTR character, Not a WoW hunter, Not an Army Ranger, Not Chuck Norris, Not a Forest Ranger, Not someone on walkabout, Not a PETA hippie.

The vast majority of builds were nerfed. I’m glad yours was not. The idea of balance is not to bring everything to the lowest level of mediocrity, but to bring everything to a state of equal usefulness. That did not happen.

You’re missing his point. The term ranger is not made up by Anet, it’s a real-world term that is commonly used in fantasy. The term has nothing to do with using ranged weapons, it defines someone who ranges, i.e. a scout or warden.

Sigh. Pedantry at it’s finest.

An in game term is defined…where?…in game.

If you want to discuss real world terms versus in game terms, go for it. You are just trying to obfuscate the discussion.

“Rawr!! Swords are melee weapons in the real world!! wtf is that Mesmer doing!!!! I’m calling my Senator!!!”

Posted by: Einlanzer.1627

Einlanzer.1627

I’m pointing out that the person was ignorant of basic English for thinking ‘ranger’ meant ranged… they have no basis for that thinking other than the sound of a word.

As for the ArenaNet argument… look at what the class does. It’s not a WoW hunter…

It supposed to do what they describe it doing. Not sure why you’re even bringing WoW into it. Who wanted it to be a WoW hunter? Are you saying Anet wanted it to be a WoW hunter? Please explain.

Ranger as a GW2 class means what they describe it to mean. Not a LoTR character, Not a WoW hunter, Not an Army Ranger, Not Chuck Norris, Not a Forest Ranger, Not someone on walkabout, Not a PETA hippie.

The vast majority of builds were nerfed. I’m glad yours was not. The idea of balance is not to bring everything to the lowest level of mediocrity, but to bring everything to a state of equal usefulness. That did not happen.

You’re missing his point. The term ranger is not made up by Anet, it’s a real-world term that is commonly used in fantasy. The term has nothing to do with using ranged weapons, it defines someone who ranges, i.e. a scout or warden.

If you want to discuss real world terms versus in game terms, go for it. You are just trying to obfuscate the discussion.

“Rawr!! Swords are melee weapons in the real world!! wtf is that Mesmer doing!!!! I’m calling my Senator!!!”

This is a poor analogy, but it isn’t worth arguing anymore. You can go on believing that word definitions are totally arbitrary and it’s totally legitimate to redefine them at the drop of a hat by anybody at any time.

Posted by: Galtrix.7369

Galtrix.7369

The thief wins Guild Wars 2, gg everyone.

[~Galtrix~] [~Level 80 Elementalist~] [~GoM~]

Posted by: Aioros.4862

Aioros.4862

This is a poor analogy, but it isn’t worth arguing anymore. You can go on believing that word definitions are totally arbitrary and it’s totally legitimate to redefine them at the drop of a hat by anybody at any time.

So what you mean is that you recognize that he’s right and you’re wrong.
ANet’s definition of the class is what matters.

PS:
“Being “unparalleled archers” implies neither being the most powerful ranged class …”
You’re right, it implies that they are either the best with bows or the worst at it, i guess the later is what they ment, since both warriors and thieves are better archers.

“This expression refers to their intended versatility at range, which they are unmatched at now between axes, shortbows, and longbows”
Loved it when you said rangers are unparalelled archers because they also lob axes, priceless.

(edited by Aioros.4862)

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

I think they nerfed pet damage because of the recently popular BM Bunker builds, where the Ranger could just focus on throwing all their stats into defense while their pets did all the damage, creating both incredibly high defense and moderately high offense all at once.

So why not find a way to nerf pets for those builds only? Rather than nerfing them for all builds.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro