Patch will again hurt players for Exploring

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Max Lexandre.6279

Max Lexandre.6279

When i saw the hype about this blog posts, i was hyped because “finally, maybe it’s this time PvE will get changes to help fix the many issues we face right now”.

Oh lord, we were wrong.

When i saw the “No More Repair Costs” i did not understood, i mean:
- They remove the punishment to players when they die.
- Yet they still punish their players with Mad Waypoint costs when we try to help our friends/guildies with their new chars/stories/quests/events….

One minor but major change they could make is a 50% discount waypoint cost to areas we already 100%, so we do not need to think twice when a friend is asking for help in a area where it’s costing up to 4 silver to travel to.

Maybe, on the last posts of friendly play we can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

I’m The Best in Everything.
Asura thing.

Posted by: Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

You still need to run over and get your armour repaired. Just won’t cost anything. As for Waypoints? I don’t mind the cost. A silver here, a silver there, that’s fine. I feel there’s perhaps too many waypoints – I’d rather they were inside towns or cities, and not scattered across the countryside.

Really, I don’t see the cost to use waypoints as a serious issue – and if you know how to ‘shortcut’ waypoints, the costs are even less if a problem. Waypoint to the front of your closest city (cheap) – walk in, waypoint to the asura gates (free), gate to the area closest to your allies (free), waypoint to the edge of that city (free), walk out, then waypoint to your friends (cheap). That will usually reduce the cost of using the waypoints by roughly half.

Posted by: Avster.1935

Avster.1935

Current system: Double tax on death (WP and Repair)
New system: Single tax on death (WP)

They still need some gold sink in-game you know

But I do agree with the discount (50% ~ negotiable) for having 100% in areas where we have already completed it.

Evelyn Whitehawk | Exalted Legend | Demons’s Demise | I Transmuted My Legendary Medium Coat

Posted by: Bensozia.8071

Bensozia.8071

Really, I don’t see the cost to use waypoints as a serious issue – and if you know how to ‘shortcut’ waypoints, the costs are even less if a problem. Waypoint to the front of your closest city (cheap) – walk in, waypoint to the asura gates (free), gate to the area closest to your allies (free), waypoint to the edge of that city (free), walk out, then waypoint to your friends (cheap). That will usually reduce the cost of using the waypoints by roughly half.

Another trick if you dont mind loading times, is to enter the mists (free) then go to the “LA” portal , again free. then you end up near all the free portals to major cities.

Guardians of the Light [GOTL]
The Dragonfly Effect [Phi]
DragonBrand

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

How will this hurt exploration? They removed the repair cost, stating that the time required to travel, and repair the armor and travel back, was to them enough of a punishment, along with the WP cost.

Armor still breaks, and still needs to be repaired. And it does take time, time you may not have in a timed event. And it’s possible that some armor repair stations may be removed, requiring a longer, and more costly travel time. Which would make sense to me, but of course its not mentioned in the blog.

As far as reducing WP costs. I don’t think would be a good idea. WP costs are one of the few, albiet small, gold sinks in the game. Reducing costs will lead to vendor and TP prices to go up accordingly to make up for it.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: Awbee.8405

Awbee.8405

You still need to run over and get your armour repaired. Just won’t cost anything. As for Waypoints? I don’t mind the cost. A silver here, a silver there, that’s fine. I feel there’s perhaps too many waypoints – I’d rather they were inside towns or cities, and not scattered across the countryside.

Really, I don’t see the cost to use waypoints as a serious issue

It’s not an issue for players who have a big amount of gold. It very much is an issue for those who don’t have much.

Posted by: RedStar.4218

RedStar.4218

With all those loading screens, you’d have enough time to kill something right after using your WP and get a blue/green or harvest a nearby node.

Posted by: pdavis.8031

pdavis.8031

It’s not an issue for players who have a big amount of gold. It very much is an issue for those who don’t have much.

You can travel across the world several times, never having to worry about losing a significat amount of money with 1g. And assuming you are traveling to a specific point to do something, like an event, or boss or something, you WILL make up the cost of traveling there plus a bit extra. You don’t need to have huge amounts of gold to be able to WP freely all over the world and back again.

“You know what the chain of command is?
It’s the chain I beat you with until you
recognize my command!”

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

My only problem with waypoints is that they always count the cost from where you are.

They should count the cost from what’s cheaper between where you are and the closest free waypoint.

What’s a free waypoint? Any waypoint you can reach from any place free to visit:
- The Hall of Monuments.
- All cities (for now not including LA).
- And, for now, also the orders and fort trinity.

This means that if you want to waypoint from Fields of Ruin to Shaemoor, the cost should be the same as if you travel to the Heart of the Mists or the Mist War, then travel to the Vigil HQ using the LA asura portal, then use the Divinitys Reach portal, then use the free Dwayna waypoint, then use the Shaemoor waypoint, because the Dwayna waypoint is free, an it’s closer than you to Shaemoor.

That is, if there’s a free waypoint closer than where you are, the price should be counted from there instead.

Instead, it counts the entire distance from where you are to the point. So if you want to save coin, you have to go through several loading screens, which might mean you’ll make people wait. And it’s not their fault that you are stingy and/or poor.

That’s the only fault in the system right now.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

Tashiro Kurosawa.7481

Okay, that last idea has some merit – count the cost of WP to get someplace based on how much it costs to get to free travel. That’s an interesting thought.

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

When i saw the hype about this blog posts, i was hyped because “finally, maybe it’s this time PvE will get changes to help fix the many issues we face right now”.

Oh lord, we were wrong.

- Yet they still punish their players with Mad Waypoint costs when we try to help our friends/guildies with their new chars/stories/quests/events….

One minor but major change they could make is a 50% discount waypoint cost to areas we already 100%, so we do not need to think twice when a friend is asking for help in a area where it’s costing up to 4 silver to travel to.

Maybe, on the last posts of friendly play we can see some light at the end of the tunnel.

You were the type of kid who got a sucker and instead of saying thank you said, “I’d rather have a candy bar,” weren’t you :P

In all seriousness though, removing the repair cost does not hurt exploration. Not removing a cost that has always been there does not hurt exploration. The WP cost is designed to make you think twice before simply Waypointing and make you think “maybe I can just run there instead” which encourages people to play the game more rather than skip through it.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

Oh lord, we were wrong.

You were the type of kid who got a sucker and instead of saying thank you said, “I’d rather have a candy bar,” weren’t you :P

In all seriousness though, removing the repair cost does not hurt exploration. Not removing a cost that has always been there does not hurt exploration. The WP cost is designed to make you think twice before simply Waypointing and make you think “maybe I can just run there instead” which encourages people to play the game more rather than skip through it.

Wait what? WP costs never made me think twice about WPing places and i’m not exactly rich as i dont’ farm or anything.

Posted by: Elestian.6134

Elestian.6134

I have never understood how some players, even new ones, struggle with WP costs. It should never be an issue, unless you willingly dump all your gold into buying something without paying mind to such fees. A couple blue/green drops from any mobs in a given zone will easily cover the expense of traveling there.

Posted by: Master Fuhon.1068

Master Fuhon.1068

Lollipops wreck dental work, and generally wouldn’t be the preferred gift for most females I’ve met.

For people who have trouble picking out gifts, I’ve heard cash is usually more appreciated.

Posted by: Naz.2607

Naz.2607

But I do agree with the discount (50% ~ negotiable) for having 100% in areas where we have already completed it.

I like this idea. You’ve completed said map, so you get a wp discount

Naz ©

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

If you’re helping your friends it will be making you way more money than wp costs.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

Posted by: Goldrock.9076

Goldrock.9076

the skin idea i hate i enjoying buying and SELLING the armors i found it was a decent way to earn gold now nope since now all the skins will be unlocked pur item found.Good ideas yeah but its looking too much like a NGE or whatever and after only like 2 years after release?

Posted by: sinzer.4018

sinzer.4018

the skin idea i hate i enjoying buying and SELLING the armors i found it was a decent way to earn gold now nope since now all the skins will be unlocked pur item found.Good ideas yeah but its looking too much like a NGE or whatever and after only like 2 years after release?

It’s not per item found though, it’ll be items that are salvaged or bound to you. If you loot an exotic and don’t have the skin you won’t automatically get it just because it’s in your inventory.

Posted by: Karolis.4261

Karolis.4261

Oh lord, we were wrong.

Oh my God! I just spent 4 silvers on wp! Im so broke now!

PvP hero Valentin in action!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HiYUlhsO_M
cough*keyboardturningclicker*cough

Posted by: IndigoSundown.5419

IndigoSundown.5419

Strictly speaking, WP travel to a WP you’ve already unlocked is not really exploring.

That said, the coming feature patch so far adds nothing to the explorer play-style, and does take something away, by reducing the already minor coin rewards for doing DE’s while exploring. Basing an analysis of GW2 on the Bartle test play-styles, ANet is catering primarily to Socializers (PvE), then Killers (PvP), while offering mixed messages to Achievers and — after launch, at least — ignoring the Explorers.

Posted by: Stone.6751

Stone.6751

Oh lord, we were wrong.

Here is your solution.

Take a WP. Look at your map and find some ore, a tree, or a plant you can gather. Use gathering tool.

There is a good chance that just paid for your WP.

But I’m sure 99.9% of people reading this understand that to be true. I mean, talk about really really trying to find a way to make a positive change into a negative. It’s borderline comical.

Penny Royalty – Level 80 Guardian
Raingarde – Level 80 Necromancer

Posted by: OneManArmy.9732

OneManArmy.9732

when you finish map, you get some loot and money. for finishing 55lvl area I got 36s. isn’t 36s enough for WP? pretty much enough. so stop complaining

Posted by: Aidan Savage.2078

Aidan Savage.2078

Oh lord, we were wrong.

They already have ways of discounting waypoints. It’s called guild research. Oh, wait, I could waypoint a thousand times or so before it’s even worth getting that upgrade.

Also, if you’re that concerned over 5 silver because you’re going from Cursed Shore to Iron Marches to help a friend, then obviously you arent a friend to that person.

Here’s the solution: when you waypoint, kill crap for some blues, make back the money. Viola. It seriously is not that big of an issue to waypoint anywhere.

Posted by: PookieDaWombat.6209

PookieDaWombat.6209

the only time I have “lost money” has been when playing WvW due to upgrade costs that I choose to do.

I have NEVER lost money using WPs in PvE since I make far more from materials and items and events than I ever spend on WPs. Pure profit. Now with armor repair being free it will be even MORE profit. I’m happier than a porcine in excrement.

[OTR] – Greck Howlbane – Guardian
Soraya Mayhew – Thief
Melissa Koris – Engie – SF for Life!

Posted by: Phenix Flyer.6724

Phenix Flyer.6724

~understand~ sorry that was bugging me
They are removing the punishment on players wallets for death, but downed penalty and broken armour will, I assume still be there.
As for WP cost they scale with your level and the assumption you’re competent at saving money over time (actually a good life lesson IMO) but anyway it takes 1 to 3 low or average drops to get back that “loss” or 2-3 events
The opportunity cost would add up over an extremely long time however if you are at a higher level you should be able to make it back
It’s like an Orichalcum Mining Pick 4s which you literally Make back in 2 of the 100 swings
Pro tip if you really are dedicated to saving every copper travel though Heart of the mists -> LA (Vigil ) gate -> closest racial city gate -> specific WP,
or walk but I wouldn’t recommend that having run from gates of Arah to the Rata sum

Edit: Also don’t mean to be all “back in my day” but as any GW1 cartographer/ vanquisher will tell you, there wasn’t an entire network of inter map fast travel we had to walk and there were areas that you had no quest related reason for ever visiting so personally I’m happy it’s in the game and don’t mind the charge for the massive convenience

~ Sylvari Ranger, [BGW] Jade Quarry ~
“I blame Kormir”

(edited by Phenix Flyer.6724)

Posted by: Alfador.7649

Alfador.7649

Oh lord, we were wrong.

Honestly, the game needs gold sinks. The thing is, repairs were already so small and insignificant that for pretty much every single player left in the game, they accomplished nothing. Dying 10 times in a single dungeon isn’t even enough to take away 10% of your reward for completing it.

Maybe I just have too much gold, but I don’t really see anything dramatically overpriced about waypoints as they are now. Even if I am dramatically overestimating player wealth and they are too expensive, I wouldn’t say they specifically “punish exploring” in any way. You can already cut the costs down significantly but utilizing the pvp mists lobby and city portals, and within a zone you can run if it’s really that bad. As with anything else, it’s just a personal assessment if the money saved is worth the extra time.

Posted by: Grim Jr.8946

Grim Jr.8946

If you are worried about waypoint costs then I have no sympathy for you, i mean it would take at least 100k waypoints to even cut half of my gold. and I barely log in anymore, it’s not the waypoint cost that is bad it’s your lazy kitten