Path of Fire Stress Test August 31, 2017

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

Next

We will be conducting a brief stress test for Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire on Thursday, August 31st, beginning at 2:00 PM Pacific time (-7 GMT). Anyone with a Guild Wars 2 account is welcome to participate. To join the stress test, please log in to your Guild Wars 2 game account, create a new “Demo” character on the character selection screen, and head into the Crystal Oasis. Play as you normally would play, but because this is a stress test, be prepared for possible in-game performance issues as the testing takes place.

Thanks for your help!

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

Posted by: Yargesh.4965

Yargesh.4965

Darn not going to be able to stress you guys.

Posted by: Brutaly.6257

Brutaly.6257

will elites be available??

Posted by: ZilentNight.5089

ZilentNight.5089

how long will it last?

Posted by: hugo.4705

hugo.4705

What is STRESS test? I don’t get it! It’s not “How the game can be stressful for players” I think? And so, we will have access to Elites, Mount AND Pve at same time? Some changes about mount sickness to expect?

btw, add a swap weapons button for engineer: I want to toggle between my rifle and my hammer!

Join Inquest or Aetherblades that’s a terrible choice!
Please Anet, more underground, more asuran cities!
[TP] Bring back Moto’s boom box!

(edited by hugo.4705)

Posted by: AncientYs.8613

AncientYs.8613

what time is this stress test going to be in germany? sorry i’m bad at converting timezones.

Posted by: AriaFiresong.7023

AriaFiresong.7023

It’s putting stress on their servers to catch problems.

Yargesh.4965

what time is this stress test going to be in germany? sorry i’m bad at converting timezones.

21:00

AncientYs.8613

thanks =)

Yargesh.4965

thanks =)

Sorry 23:00 14 plus 9 hour difference

Posted by: shadowcaster.3789

shadowcaster.3789

will this have the elite specs ?

Posted by: Aralicia.6157

Aralicia.6157

What is STRESS test? I don’t get it! It’s not “How the game can be stressful for players” I think? And so, we will have access to Elites, Mount AND Pve at same time? Some changes about mount sickness to expect?

Stress test is technical lingo for tests that might push part of a program to its limits (stress it). Applied to online games, a Stress Test is a test where a lot of players are invited to play at the same time in order to ensure that both the servers and the game client can support the increased stress put on the game systems.

Posted by: EnidLarr.1478

EnidLarr.1478

not asking too much but you guys should give more to preorder palyers since we all help you testing this and that, give every of us who owns PoF at this moment a choice of weapon skin LOL

if not asking too much

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

thanks =)

Bingo! I was counting the hours +9 to PST on my fingers and you’re correct in this second post: it would be 11:00 PM or 23:00 in Germany.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

AncientYs.8613

thanks =)

ahh.. ok :/ that’s too late for me.. i have work the next day T__T thanks anyway :>

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

not asking too much but you guys should give more to preorder palyers since we all help you testing this and that, give every of us who owns PoF at this moment a choice of weapon skin LOL

if not asking too much

We appreciate each and every person who pre-purchases our game. Please note that each person who does that will receive pre-purchase bonuses. I don’t feel it’s reasonable to ask for additional items. I believe (no, I know) the majority of players who are able to join the test will consider this a nice “bonus,” an opportunity to spend a bit of extra time in the game and will not feel entitled to getting additional or extra free items.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: Tails.5491

Tails.5491

how long will this last for approximately? and what will be available? 7am on the 1st hmm :/

Posted by: RoseofGilead.8907

RoseofGilead.8907

if not asking too much

All GW2 players are allowed to play in the stress test. Those of us who prepurchased PoF already got bonuses (weapon skin, title, outfit, etc.); we don’t need more. :p

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

will elites be available??

Pretty please?

Posted by: Stuart.5940

Stuart.5940

For people who need time conversions:

2pm PDT
10pm BST (UK time)
5pm EDT
3pm MDT
7am Australia (next day)
11pm CEST (Europe)
5am SGT (Singaporean)

I think that’s enough timezones (sorry if yours isn’t listed) and it should hopefully help people know when it will be (and thus help stress test the servers of course :P)

Posted by: Elrey.5472

Elrey.5472

Can we BREAK the servers? on purpose? find weird glitches or something that crashes the servers? can we SPAM all the skills we want?

Edit: Summon us 300 samarogs at the same time and we will try to kill them! That surely stress a server xD

ES Wiki Sysop. Vanquiser of the Marionette, Lover of the Aetherpath.
Aens / Ellantriel / Nao To Mori / Saelyth. Commander
Guias de Raids en español / Spanish raiding guides

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

We will be conducting a brief stress test for Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire on Thursday, August 31st, beginning at 2:00 PM Pacific time (-7 GMT). Anyone with a Guild Wars 2 account is welcome to participate. To join the stress test, please log in to your Guild Wars 2 game account, create a new “Demo” character on the character selection screen, and head into the Crystal Oasis. Play as you normally would play, but because this is a stress test, be prepared for possible in-game performance issues as the testing takes place.

Thanks for your help!

How long is it going to last?

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

thanks for the info and heads up . can not wait to do this !! going to set every thing to super high and see how it handles and lasts !!

see how this plays in 1080 P

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Tekey.7946

Tekey.7946

and head into the Crystal Oasis.

So it will probably be the same part of the map as in the demo? Or is it the full map this time?

AncientYs.8613

and head into the Crystal Oasis.

So it will probably be the same part of the map as in the demo? Or is it the full map this time?

small part of the map like it was in the first PoF demo.

Posted by: SappFire.5793

SappFire.5793

Im signing for length question. In my timezone it will be midnight :<

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I have put out the question about how long the test will last and will let you know.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

AncientYs.8613

Im signing for length question. In my timezone it will be midnight :<

thats too sad :< for me it’s also almost midnight..

Posted by: altermaven.7385

altermaven.7385

btw, add a swap weapons button for engineer: I want to toggle between my rifle and my hammer!

A “stress test” involves large groups playing on a server to test the capability to handle the load required for the server. So in these, you’re going to be playing in the first area of Path of Fire, so the network engineers can detect bandwidth allocations, load balance issues, etc… just so when launch comes, there is a snapshot of what must be in place and it’s already met.

This is common when anticipating releases of multiplayer online games, especially MMOs in main release and expansion releases. So in short, they want you to play and do perhaps ordinary / not so ordinary things, and the network engineers know what to fix / balance in terms of data

TL;DR: they just want you to play and crowd the servers so if things go wrong, it won’t go wrong on launch day.

“To be rid of chaos, all must restore the balance.”
Part of the [PORT] mystical tour – “Marilee Mangletooth.” What main?
Something something Autechre fanatic.

Posted by: Menadena.7482

Menadena.7482

Hopefully restoring our beta characters or whatever? That way we can get right to stressing the new stuff and not just the story instance.

Posted by: Nidome.1365

Nidome.1365

I’d like to help but I’ll be at work at that time.

AncientYs.8613

Hopefully restoring our beta characters or whatever? That way we can get right to stressing the new stuff and not just the story instance.

No, all progress was not saved the last 2 demo weekends so your demo characters for the stress test will be completely new ones excluding the stuff you earned from previous demos.

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

Here’s some additional information for you:

The developers intend for the test to run a couple of hours and they hope to enable the elite specs. One of the advantages of our release system is it has a great deal of flexibility so it depends exactly on how our internal ‘pre-testing’ goes as to what will be enabled.

As far as whether you keep progress during the stress test, the answer is “No.” All demo characters will head into a well-deserved retirement, and you will join Path of Fire at launch with an existing or newly-created character on your game account.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

(edited by Gaile Gray.6029)

Posted by: skullmount.1758

skullmount.1758

The developers intend for the test to run a couple of hours and they hope to enable the elite specs. One of the advantages of our release system is it has a great deal of flexibility so it depends exactly on how our internal ‘pre-testing’ goes as to what will be enabled.

As far as whether you keep progress during the stress test, the answer is “No.” Characters will be reset for launch, as always.

Ok. thanks for the additional info.
Might be able to participate for a little bit if I head right home from work.

Darkhaven server
Please give us a keyring…

Posted by: WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

WARIORSCHARGEING.2637

As far as whether you keep progress during the stress test, the answer is “No.” Characters will be reset for launch, as always.

going to get some fireworks now

and test them out on this !! thanks for the information

no new system upgrades coming

Posted by: Fridgemomo.3750

Fridgemomo.3750

How much of the maps are we getting for the stress test? Is it the same as the beta weekend? or is it the whole first map? or even more?

Posted by: ChrisX.8671

ChrisX.8671

Will we be able to explore the full crystal oasis map, or will it be like the beta where we’ll only have a part of the map open to the players?

AncientYs.8613

How much of the maps are we getting for the stress test? Is it the same as the beta weekend? or is it the whole first map? or even more?

it’s going to be the same as the demo weekend :> there’s no need to spoil the game now so close to launch.

AncientYs.8613

Will we be able to explore the full crystal oasis map, or will it be like the beta where we’ll only have a part of the map open to the players?

it will be the same portion of the map we got fro the demo weekends.

Posted by: Nashiie.4915

Nashiie.4915

Ohhhh!! Muahahah. I’m in! Bring it on developers!

Posted by: MithranArkanere.8957

MithranArkanere.8957

Ok. Let’s all make minion masters, equip minis and concentrate in one point and use all of our skills at the same time.

SUGGEST-A-TRON says:
PAY—ONCE—UNLOCKS—ARE—ALWAYS—BETTER.
No exceptions!

Posted by: Ester Sauter

Previous

Ester Sauter

GW2 QA Lead

Next

Ok. Let’s all make minion masters, equip minis and concentrate in one point and use all of our skills at the same time.

That would be awesome, everyone do that

Posted by: Just a flesh wound.3589

Just a flesh wound.3589

if not asking too much

We appreciate each and every person who pre-purchases our game. Please note that each person who does that will receive pre-purchase bonuses. I don’t feel it’s reasonable to ask for additional items. I believe (no, I know) the majority of players who are able to join the test will consider this a nice “bonus,” an opportunity to spend a bit of extra time in the game and will not feel entitled to getting additional or extra free items.

I read that first as “I feel it’s reasonable to ask for additional items”….. and started making my list.

And then I re-read it. Hopes dashed.

I was only going to ask for a Legendary…. or two.

Be careful what you ask for
ANet may give it to you.

Posted by: DelphiFaela.6823

DelphiFaela.6823

I vote they keep the stress test running until the 22! Anyone else? :p

And in order to really stress the servers you should just do the teq wave across the whole map every 5 mins :p

For the Toast!

Posted by: SappFire.5793

SappFire.5793

That would be awesome, everyone do that

“Fixed a server crash” incoming

Posted by: ruwani.8624

ruwani.8624

i cant wait! woooooo!!!

Posted by: Anela.3867

Anela.3867

Great! It should go at least through the weekend.

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I’m linking this to as many folks as I can (not too many, I have like … two … circles of GW2 friends). I’m happy to make a minion reaper to help out. So glad this starts in the middle of some very free time for me!

Previous

Gaile Gray

Next

I vote they keep the stress test running until the 22! Anyone else? :p

And in order to really stress the servers you should just do the teq wave across the whole map every 5 mins :p

Hey now, you can hope…

…but that ain’t gonna happen.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
ArenaNet

Posted by: Nightgunner.2896

Nightgunner.2896

Will demo accounts get reset before the stress test, or will it be the same demo account as the PvP demo?