Path of fire anouncment - Feedback

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Taurid.1753

Taurid.1753

Disappointed the additional character slot is locked behind the Deluxe version. Happy, however, that the base version is only $30.

The new elite specs could be interesting, mostly just the Weaver. Not too interested in the Guardian one, since it doesn’t fit my play style of the class from what was revealed. The rest are meh.

Not too happy to see the mounts all locked behind different mastery trees, but I do like the mobility they should be providing to the new maps, and all the previous Core and HoT maps.

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

WvW and sPvP get changes as they are finished and they are not saved up for expansions.

That’s just nonsense. With an expansion you should bring new matching activities which goes with the expansion. Same with Raid and Dungeons

Piken Square

Posted by: bobsort.4097

bobsort.4097

And then it is the stress of devs on words like “Very strong”, “you won’t see who hit you” and such, gives me the impression that I won’t be able to play WvW unless buy the expansion and unlock the new elites which obviously requires you to grind Hero Points all over the place again!

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

Are mounts tied to masteries? If so, another bad idea.

Note for those of you who play PvE content mainly, but for those who are playing WvW or Spvp masteries are a burden. The fact some legendary items are tied to PvE gates it is pretty frustrating. For example Nevermore. The four collections, great idea. Honestly, perfect. Not so perfect is the requirement of HoT and map completion. Ok, we can get past that. Everyone should get map complete. Fair enough. The deal breaker is the requirement for exalted status to buy the last gifts. More or less forcing you to have over 100 mastery points to navigate through to buy. That is a deal breaker.

So as you see people say what about WvW or sPvP, or dress up Barbie stuff for those folks, well, there you have it. Some people don’t spend time in PvE. We will deliver at a later time after the pack drops isn’t that great of a selling point.

Could be the WvW/sPvP crowd is small and of no concern…

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

ImLegion.4018

So this new expansion is about new maps, mounts and elite specialization.
What about:
Dungeons
WvW
Fractal
PvP
These things are not important Arena? I’ m sorry but after the HOT expansion, you continue going down to the hill.

They had 30 mins to announce it, im sure there will be more blogs that go into that, but as for WvW they gave us a great update recently, they destroyed it a couple of weeks later, and now its as dead as ever, I don’t think an expansion will fix that.

With a release for next month I highly doubt it there will be much more news as in more content. Perhaps I’m too pessimistic, but I thought release would be somewhere spring next year, based on expansion last time and that wasn’t even a great expansion.
So September 22 and giving more details of more content, I don’t think so.

Piken Square

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

WvW and sPvP get changes as they are finished and they are not saved up for expansions.

That’s just nonsense. With an expansion you should bring new matching activities which goes with the expansion. Same with Raid and Dungeons

I don’t get you … we have 5 years of Anet delivering content through an expansion, continuous upgrades and living story …

So where do you get this strange idea that this coming expansion should have new things across the board for every element of the game … that’s simply not how Anet has ever acted. You’re expectation does not align with Anet’s approach to delivering content, ever.

Posted by: Taurid.1753

Taurid.1753

PVE is the focus of the game. PVP is an after-thought, and WvW is just laughably forgotten. Dungeons have been dead in the water since Fractals launched, just months after the game itself launched. We’ve gotten three(?) raids so far, and I don’t doubt we’ll see more sometime during Living World Season 4.

Posted by: Hickeroar.9734

Hickeroar.9734

It seems like you’ve forgotten how this game works. The expansion is just a jump-off point for more content, the same way the last one was, which is the same way the game has been since launch. It’s not like they’re going to release the expansion and then do nothing for the next two years…

ImLegion.4018

In short a big money grab and giving nothing.

Also I heard the word “puzzle” alot, and a thing I truly hate in games is doing puzzles. In the financial business my life contains only of making puzzles and doing puzzles in a game is really something I dont want.

Other than that no content, no dungeons, no raids, no new wvw map, no new pvp things, no new class, no new race. And a release this fast makes me worry, HoT was bad…but it makes me think this expansion will be even worse.

Piken Square

(edited by ImLegion.4018)

Posted by: Randulf.7614

Randulf.7614

Well I’m hyped. From the video, there is a decent enough vibe about the story and I thought the summary at the beginning brought clarity to the mess that S3 told.

Really though, it’s those huge, gorgeous maps I’m looking forward to. They look absolutely stunning.

I’m surprised it is so soon and with LOTRO: Mordor this week, I don’t think I’m going to bored through the last half of the year!!!

Posted by: Necrum Davengers.3519

Necrum Davengers.3519

Yeah but for some people up here these “useless things” existed in the vanilla of Guild Wars 2, they don’t matter anymore. But you got a mount, such an innovation!

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

Let’s put it in terms that most of the other MMO developers have discovered over the years.

Out of all of the player types in these types of games, the number of open world explorers represents the highest number of players. Those that want events in which they can jump into the game with their friends during open world activities represents the majority of the playerbase. These players are generally those that do not simply rush through the game, they spend long hours playing and they are generally more concerned with social activities that keep them in these games playing longer so they represent the players who are more likely to keep coming back and buying items.

Those players who are lost in nostalgia about the way games used to be designed in the MMO genre represent 1% of the total population. These players long for dungeoneering and raiding and are of the type that generally bounce from game to game never filling the void that is caused by nostalgia. They keep trying to get something that will never come back and they usually leave games early because it’s impossible to A: please them and B: give them what they want which is a hot tub time portal to that original excitement of discovering mmo’s when they had dungeons as their main progression mechanic.

So when they look at the demographics of who they want to buy their expansions/products aiming for the widest audience, three guesses who that is.

What about:
Dungeons
WvW
Fractal
PvP
These things are not important Arena? I’ m sorry but after the HOT expansion, you continue going down to the hill.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

Obtena.7952

Yeah but for some people up here these “useless things” existed in the vanilla of Guild Wars 2, they don’t matter anymore. But you got a mount, such an innovation!

That’s a pretty unfair and disingenuous statement … Anet has put resources into the game elements you are talking about. Just because changes and developments for those game elements aren’t in an expansion doesn’t mean they don’t matter to Anet anymore.

Posted by: Behellagh.1468

Behellagh.1468

What about:
Dungeons
WvW
Fractal
PvP

• Dungeons are dead since before HoT.
  • WvW, PvP are separate releases from LS and expansions according to AMA from last episode.
  • Don’t know but didn’t we just get one?
We are heroes. This is what we do!

RIP City of Heroes

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

The meh and whatever:
- Mounts: While it sounds neat that each mount has its own ability, being tied to the VERY tedious mastery grind makes the whole deal for me a “wait and see” thing.

A concern of mine as well. Not a huge fan of the mastery grinds.

Ranger looks strongly to be a “it depends on how it works” deal. Rifle Thief might be neat. Warrior sounds more PvP relevant, but that’s not my playground. Hopefully, it won’t be the Scrapper of PoF.

Hard to say really. Rangers in general, and pets, have been a tough nut to crack with the devs. New pets upon release are too strong and have since been adjusted down much to the Ranger/Druids disagreement. Pet classes in general but more or less Ranger/Druids have had a rough going since HoT…

So this is a neat elite granted, but the balance is going to be a huge concern. It could be here we are again with a nice idea but difficult to balance

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

Posted by: Evon Skyfyre.9673

Evon Skyfyre.9673

1 down, 6 to go…

Attachments:

Posted by: Iozeph.5617

Iozeph.5617

They’re entitled to not be overwhelmed by the hype. It isn’t as though this sort of negativity hasn’t been waiting in the wings for the last couple of years.

Game world was never large enough nor felt large enough to justify mounts and I question the value of wasting resources on them as well. But of course they’re locking off content behind them. Joy.

And it isn’t a though there aren’t enough things from last expansion still not sorted. I only wonder what features of HoT will be cut/gutted in the service of making this next coming iteration of gw2 into a try-hard, mock-off, World of Warcraft clone.

As far as the jungle- yeah, we’re getting out of the jungle and going to… Wait for it. The desert. Another fecking desert… Yay?

So now, rather than working toward the fights with the dragons, which many were eagerly awaiting, they’ve dropped whatever story telling potential from those parts and given us Gw2’s version of ‘Burning Crusade.’ “Guild Wars 2: Path of Fecklessness.”

So now it’s about hunting down this setting’s version of Illidan which we probably won’t see outside of yet another raid. We won’t have a separate new profession, and we still won’t have a new player race. But mounts!

If they were going to rip off of an expansion from a competitor could they have at least chosen one of the better ones?

Now I better understand the context of message to the players last week – telling us to not look back, to not care about all the broken promises, mismanaged prioritisation of time and resources, and all the slimy misdirection and backpedaling that followed. Telling the community instead to look forward while in the same breath passive aggressively pillorying certain segments of it, now and for the past as well as in advance of this coming failure for daring to hold them to account for their wrongs.

Now I see the subext, ‘All you had to do was keep mum about our terrible business practices and everything would have been great! This is all your fault, you bunch of entitled whingebags! You expected what was on the box/point of purchase pages(which we tried and failed to edit without players catching us) to actually be delivered? Gosh! Nobody does that anymore. It’s the wave of the future! You were supposed to keep with the times and laud us for our flexibility with your money, but no! This is why we don’t have nice things. YOU are why we’ll never have nice things. Hope you’re happy!’

There has to be a consequence for the Wimpy school of games development -the, ’I’ll gladly implement the feature you didn’t want or pay for -whenever I feel I want… That being never or Soon™! Yes, Soon™! That’s the ticket- for your money spent today.’

Save yourselves some money this year. There’s another game out there with a coming expansion. It also has mounts, mounted combat, excessive lag, a failing pvp/world versus world scene, dated graphics, bad dungeons, badly implemented raids and is nominally free to play with a misguided focus on development for its in-game cash shop. It’s called Lord of the Rings Online and it’s going to Mordor.

(edited by Iozeph.5617)

Posted by: Blaeys.3102

Blaeys.3102

I think people are overreacting a bit. I look at mounts as just this map’s masteries – special abilities similar to gliding/mushrooms/etc that add a little fun to moving around the map.

Overall, the expansion looks good. Should be a good addition to the game.

Posted by: Naus the Gobbo.5172

Naus the Gobbo.5172

No new race, no interest.

What we do in life echoes in eternity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6zkT2uZAGA – GW2 – A world of wonder

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

Basically ‘mounts’ are just adding yet more Super Mario JP style to the game. But locked behind masteries to ensure you have to play on the new maps, and no doubt mastery points will be locked behind JPs, mini games or stupid achievements in stories just to ensure you can be frustrated with the huge swing towards a platform game ‘mounts’ represent.

In fact, ‘mounts’ are just like the ‘boosts’ you used to pick up in Super Mario, but locked behind a time/experience/hidden mastery points wall.

And of course without the required ‘mount’ (mastery locked skill) you won’t be able to traverse the maps, forcing you to grind out the required XP and then fart around finding enough ‘mastery’ (usually behind some non-core skill) points to activate it to move on to the next one.

Gliding and mushrooms were enough movement to get around, there really was no need to add more locked ‘skills’ other than to turn it into more of a grind to disguise the lack of actual content.

Nine new elite specs might be interesting, I wonder if they even thought of wvw when designing them (almost certainly not). Hopefully I have enough proofs to unlock them (although I expect yet another currency so you are forced to grind the pve, until 3-6 months from now they remember to add it to the wvw vendor).

I hope they kept particle effects to a minimum otherwise wvw will just grind to a halt (again).

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

ImLegion.4018

I don’t get you … we have 5 years of Anet delivering content through an expansion, continuous upgrades and living story …

So where do you get this strange idea that this coming expansion should have new things across the board for every element of the game … that’s simply not how Anet has ever acted. You’re expectation does not align with Anet’s approach to delivering content, ever.

Please enlighten me which content and upgrades we have given outside expansions?

Since release of the official game I haven’t seen any new dungeons coming up, the state of WvW is just into let it bleed to death. PvP with the condi meta is just beyond horrible. You got couple of more fractals in 1.5 years. WvW rewards took ages to come, and most important things as (skill)lags and such are being forgotten.

Piken Square

Posted by: RedDeadFred.1256

RedDeadFred.1256

Why would they do a new WvW map after the last time? Besides, they just did a major update.

PvP. Eh, I don’t care. Haven’t cared about it in a long time. Still, you get new Elite specs to play with.

Dungeons. Are you doing a meme?

Fractals. They literally just released one and will probably continue making new ones throughout LS4.

Maps and new Elite Specs. This is what I care about. They’ve given us one more map tham HoT and this expac costs less. As far as I’m concerned, these already make it worth it. Apparently, they’re the largest maps yet, so I’m very happy about this. GW2 for me is about exploring new places and participating in cool open world events. I do fractals, but it’s not at the top of my totem poll for gameplay enjoyment. This expansion is pretty much tailored to my gameplay preferences.

Can’t wait and I’m preordering as soon as I get home.

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

I think some of you are missing the core concept at the heart of the OP. they are disappointed with the fact that there are no major changes for other parts of the game coming with the xpac. this has nothing to do with them wanting an xpac based on those areas, or even the way in which anet releases content for those areas.

content updates for said areas of the game would make the xpac more alluring for other players I think is what the OP is trying to say. I would agree if this were the case.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

Posted by: Loboling.5293

Loboling.5293

Pros: New zones

Neutral: Elite specs look a bit bland this time around. I was super stocked for Renegade and Deadeye, but they both look lame. Some good, some less so, so I put this in neutral.

Cons: Mounts in old zones? I’m not sure if that is just a rumor, but it’s a little strange to invest in making mounts like this. I also really don’t like the animation for calling mounts. I would’ve preferred a calling animation, followed by your mount running up to you from the distance and you hoping on. Would delay mounting by 5-10 seconds, which means players would only use it for long distances or special jumps. For now, I feel this will look like wow with everyone mounting up between heart missions… I’m not happy to see the whole world change like this. The feeling and all will be different. Otherwise, if this is false and mounts are only for Elona, then great.

Overall, it’s too early to tell, but I’m shocked by the lame presentation. (compared to HoT’s hype train) And I’m also confused by the rapid release date. This means feedback will only change small aspects before launch. The expansion launches in less than 2 months…. That is not enough time for a full beta. Worried about this expansion, but I’ll give the open beta a chance.

Posted by: AzureWolf.9150

AzureWolf.9150

The only thing I have concerns about are the mounts. I hope there are limitations, like there are with gliding. The video showed a nice, small group with mounts in a vast world. But how will it really look when all you see around you are jackalopes and floating manta rays.

Makes me wonder if Gliding will be disabled in the new zones, or if you can do some combo thing….like use a Mount to jump you high into the air and then switch mid jump to a Glider to coast a distance?

Posted by: Ayrilana.1396

Ayrilana.1396

Well I don’t know now. The new Ele spec looks broken as in OP.

ImLegion.4018

Why would they do a new WvW map after the last time? Besides, they just did a major update.

PvP. Eh, I don’t care. Haven’t cared about it in a long time. Still, you get new Elite specs to play with.

Dungeons. Are you doing a meme?

Fractals. They literally just released one and will probably continue making new ones throughout LS4.

Maps and new Elite Specs. This is what I care about. They’ve given us one more map tham HoT and this expac costs less. As far as I’m concerned, these already make it worth it. Apparently, they’re the largest maps yet, so I’m very happy about this. GW2 for me is about exploring new places and participating in cool open world events. I do fractals, but it’s not at the top of my totem poll for gameplay enjoyment. This expansion is pretty much tailored to my gameplay preferences.

Can’t wait and I’m preordering as soon as I get home.

So because you don’t care, it is not important. Isn’t that a bit selfish? I don’t do dungeons and fractals, but I think it is still weird it’s not with it… Lets not forget the big WvW update is nothing special and just based on rewards and a backpack wooooooohoooooooo

Piken Square

Obtena.7952

Please enlighten me which content and upgrades we have given outside expansions?

Feel free to peruse the history of patches if you want this information. It’s freely given and will demonstrate what I’m talking about. What I have said here is not wrong … there is a demonstrated approach and history for how Anet delivers content to players. If you ignore that, then you will be disappointed by your own false expectations. If you aren’t happy with how the quality and quantity of content this game delivers, then complaining that you aren’t seeing that in a way that never demonstrated it in the first place is nonsensical.

The fact is obvious; Anet did not deliver fractals, dungeons, PVP or WvW with the last expansion … so to think it’s unreasonable they didn’t deliver those things in the upcoming expansion is silly to say the least.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Zaoda.1653

Zaoda.1653

I wished the Sunspear Outfit wasn’t an outfit :-( I really want that paragon-like chestpiece as a separate skin for my male characters :-/

Forever a supporter of more male skimpy armor

ImLegion.4018

Feel free to peruse the history of patches if you want this information. It’s freely given and will demonstrate what I’m talking about.

As since you can’t name them this discussion has ended.

Piken Square

Obtena.7952

I think some of you are missing the core concept at the heart of the OP. they are disappointed with the fact that there are no major changes for other parts of the game coming with the xpac. this has nothing to do with them wanting an xpac based on those areas, or even the way in which anet releases content for those areas.

content updates for said areas of the game would make the xpac more alluring for other players I think is what the OP is trying to say. I would agree if this were the case.

I don’t see the difference … historically, Anet made changes to those other parts of the game exclusively OUTSIDE of the first expansion … the reasonable person would expect the same for the next.

I think the reality is that content updates for the other areas of the game happen much more frequently and continuously outside of the xpac as Anet’s resources permit. I believe that for these secondary aspects of the game, that makes quite a bit of business sense. Anet manages the expectations; players that make their own outside of that are just setting themselves up for disappointment.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

This sums it up for me as well.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: Ubi.4136

Ubi.4136

I don’t see the difference … historically, Anet made changes to those other parts of the game exclusively OUTSIDE of the first expansion … the reasonable person would expect the same for the next.

Nerfing the dungeon drops and than abandoning that content is not really an “update”.

Lost in the Maguuma [TC]
Te Nosce [TC]

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Aww, is lesser than what I predicted.

I predicted it will out within 2 months which is on the mark.
There will be new maps, that is for sure.
New guild hall, expected.
Specialisation for each class, that is a given.
Stories, that is a a given.
Masteries along with the map, that is a given.
Mount, I didn’t expect that.
WvW and PvP have nothing, expected.

That is all~
No new raid
No new guild activities
No new dungeon-like pve stuffs

$30 for all of those, fair enough.
Just didn’t expect 2 years of development for this much contents.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

Posted by: Jhoul.6923

Jhoul.6923

What about:
Dungeons
WvW
Fractal
PvP

Stop using drugs dude (or dudette), They already do standalone updates on that (except for Dungeons, but that’s what fractals are for)

Posted by: offence.4726

offence.4726

Let’s put it in terms that most of the other MMO developers have discovered over the years.

Out of all of the player types in these types of games, the number of open world explorers represents the highest number of players. Those that want events in which they can jump into the game with their friends during open world activities represents the majority of the playerbase. These players are generally those that do not simply rush through the game, they spend long hours playing and they are generally more concerned with social activities that keep them in these games playing longer so they represent the players who are more likely to keep coming back and buying items.

Those players who are lost in nostalgia about the way games used to be designed in the MMO genre represent 1% of the total population. These players long for dungeoneering and raiding and are of the type that generally bounce from game to game never filling the void that is caused by nostalgia. They keep trying to get something that will never come back and they usually leave games early because it’s impossible to A: please them and B: give them what they want which is a hot tub time portal to that original excitement of discovering mmo’s when they had dungeons as their main progression mechanic.

So when they look at the demographics of who they want to buy their expansions/products aiming for the widest audience, three guesses who that is.

What about:
Dungeons
WvW
Fractal
PvP

This is probably the most well thought post i’ve read in a long time , myself being an older gamer nowdays I can see myself exactly in that description , but still that’s not an excuse for game devs. to not cater to the old school MMO-CROWD.

We afterall made this genre so popular and we contributed with alot of feedback and testing over almost 2 decades maybe.

So they catering only to the explorers and the people who seek social interactions is just going to lead to the games downfall sooner or later because these games are meant as strong RPG’s and when you have left just people who go through instanced live story modes what’s left ? How will the MMORPG genre survive ?

They are going the single player mode route.

play hard , go pro.

Posted by: Nemesis.2019

Nemesis.2019

Feed back? $30 price point deluxe/ultimate offers nada, Thanks Anet $30 great price…

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

The area’s look better than the HoT, still not up to par to the original maps but hey they will never beat that.
Mounts………… Stupid addition, don’t like them and never will.
Hopefully the next weekend will get a nice sneak peak, something I never did with hot.

Obtena.7952

Nerfing the dungeon drops and than abandoning that content is not really an “update”.

That might be a point worth discussing if dungeons were the only content in this game that has ever been developed.

Posted by: Xegrilt.9426

Xegrilt.9426

This is a good expansion for GW2. Other game will simply add new Dungeons with new better, stronger, shinier BiS gear for Raid along with raised level cap.. by 5.

GW2 always worth every penny so long as you keep in mind that its not any other mmo, GW2 is fundamentally different

Posted by: Dashingsteel.3410

Dashingsteel.3410

Pro -Gorgeous artwork
new elite specs(more playstyles)

Con – 5 huge maps (must be some more HoTstyle multitiered minimap disasters)
– as someone mentioned above, the word puzzle was mentioned too many times
– mounts behind mastery system

Posted by: Galen Grey.4709

Galen Grey.4709

The only thing I have concerns about are the mounts. I hope there are limitations, like there are with gliding. The video showed a nice, small group with mounts in a vast world. But how will it really look when all you see around you are jackalopes and floating manta rays.

Makes me wonder if Gliding will be disabled in the new zones, or if you can do some combo thing….like use a Mount to jump you high into the air and then switch mid jump to a Glider to coast a distance?

Gliding works in the new zones.

Posted by: Nyx.6532

Nyx.6532

mounts are just another kind of mastery movement system mate.
it is not like “mounts” you know from other games ^^

i am ok with it when it is done like this. although i feel like cutting off areas untill you grinded the right mount might be going a bit far
and if they are only usable in these area’s it is a wasted as learning to fully utilize them is pointless after that one map.

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

Loved everything I saw so far. No huge promises were made which shows that ANet learned from HoT.

Posted by: Abelisk.4527

Abelisk.4527

mounts are just another kind of mastery movement system mate.
it is not like “mounts” you know from other games ^^

i am ok with it when it is done like this. although i feel like cutting off areas untill you grinded the right mount might be going a bit far
and if they are only usable in these area’s it is a wasted as learning to fully utilize them is pointless after that one map.

It’s confirmed they are usable in core Tyria.

Posted by: Lanhelin.3480

Lanhelin.3480

Mounts should be totally optional, like Borderlands 2 mounts: they are needed to get certain achievements, they grant much faster traveling from A to B on certain maps/surfaces – but they are not necessary at all. One also can walk every path. It’s harder and takes much longer but it is possible. That’s the way mounts should be implemented. ANet, add some stairs, stones and bridges too, for the real explorers amongst us. Thank you.

Posted by: TwiceDead.1963

TwiceDead.1963

Didn’t really see enough to give much feedback. Mounts… blah. My concern from watching the announcement program is that the maps look like they may be more multi tiered massive jumping puzzles similar to dry top and HoT maps which I hate. I hope that’s not the case. I’ll wait till I participate in the open beta weekend to see if I’ll pre-purchase or not.

Well… That’s a shame.

Personally I loved what HoT did with the maps. I hope for more from the new ones, and that seems to be what I am getting.

I think the mounts look fun. I wonder if we’re getting to use them in previous maps. So what if we have waypoints? We get more fun ways to travel and explore. GW2 has always done the travelling animations very well, they feel floaty and heavy, yet agile and bouncy, and that’s all animation work. If they can put the same amount of effort into the mounts, I’m game.

Posted by: Mahou.3924

Mahou.3924

Mounts should be totally optional, like Borderlands 2 mounts: they are needed to get certain achievements, they grant much faster traveling from A to B on certain maps/surfaces – but they are not necessary at all. One also can walk every path. It’s harder and takes much longer but it is possible. That’s the way mounts should be implemented. ANet, add some stairs, stones and bridges too, for the real explorers amongst us. Thank you.

Being an explorer is not bound to walk only on foot. Columbus travelled on a ship instead of swimming through the ocean, yet he still counts as a “real” explorer.

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Wow people can always be so negative. Regarding your “contras:”

I remember playing gw1 and not being able to jump, swim, and constantly hitting invisible walls. Don’t you dare say anyone traveled in gw1. Gw2 is traveling, and I thought the mounts looked really fun. Gliders don’t make you go horizontally, and i’m kind of tired of seeing layline everywhere. I’m happy with this and the fact that you will be able to move faster. Waypoints are nice, but I like exploring sometimes and this will be best for that.

It makes no sense to go to Cantha right now. Anyone who has looked at the main map since launch knew we were going to Elona before Cantha because where we are going is already on the map.

The story seems a lot better than HoT. We go from “oh look, we kill another dragon just like the first game” to rogue god with an unclear purpose. We knew what Mordy wanted and how he wanted to do it ever since Scarlet showed up. We don’t know what is driving Balth. Why does he want to be the only god now? Why does he think what happened to Abaddon won’t happen to him?

This is the closest thing anet has done to stirring up interest in Abaddon in a long time, a god who many players want to see return as the main, or a main antagonist despite them saying he is “dead dead.”

This expansion looks great! And I’m SICK OF THE JUNGLE environments so I’m happy!

Wow, people can always be hyped no matter what (see the irony?).

You like to explore- fine, but one could already do this. They announced “5 new maps, bigger than anything we added before”. And since they are “so big” they add mounts. I’m quite sure they could have scaled the maps smaller so one wouldn’t need mounts to get around in a reasonable time. So this leaves me with the impression "we felt we need to add mounts to feed that (somewhat very vocal) part of the community a carot so they keep playing, and to justify this move, with simply make the new maps bigger.
This all sounds to me like a big waste of ressources for adding mounts just for the sake of adding mounts, even though they could have delivered the same stroy experience without it.

I agree, moving to Cantha wouldn’t have made much sense right now story wise, yet me and a lot of others still wished for it. Elona is okay, yet one should be allowed to prefer Cantha.

I’m not saying the story will be bad, in fact I’m glad it’s not just “go kill the next elder dragon”, but with the way the last epsiodes of the LS were presented, they better make a big step forward in story telling.

€: all in all it seems as we’re getting a new full LS story line but have to pay for it this time, with mounts being the justification for it. Leaves a bad taste for me :/

Basically, we could’ve had 10 maps, but because of mounts, we got 5 huge ones.

You think you are traveling double the speed, but the distance double. So you literally just saved 0 time

Posted by: Doam.8305

Doam.8305

You’ll be able to actual see other people traveling the world instead of them waypointing from place to place. Waypoints are a bad idea like in any game to be honest. Older games had to wait till flying for people to pass over each other without seeing one another. GW2 launched with it and this expansion will mean people actually traveling the roads in fact I’d say its the best announcement of the expac and that there shouldn’t be any waypoints in the open map at all.