Pay for your birthday gift - Mini Pack II

in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

Posted by: Gandarel.5091

Gandarel.5091

The real and final stab in the back was this. Not just that they didn’t give us random minis and we got 8 Jennahs, but meanwhile, they add 42 new minipets to the gemstore. Jennah for tease, and if you want your GW1 present, you can have it, just empty your pocket for it.

I hope ArenaNet will start to make logical decisions at some point after they left behind their ‘GW1 didn’t exist and we ignore every loyal veteran’ mentality,

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Posted by: Danikat.8537

Danikat.8537

I thought it was fairly obvious since launch that since the old mini pack was labled Set 1 that meant at some point there would be a Set 2, 3 4 etc.

Danielle Aurorel, Dear Dragon We Got Your Cookies [Nom], Desolation (EU).

“Life’s a journey, not a destination.”

Gandarel.5091

I thought it was fairly obvious since launch that since the old mini pack was labled Set 1 that meant at some point there would be a Set 2, 3 4 etc.

Yes, released exactly at the time when every GW1 veteran was expecting new minis via a birthday gift. Total coincidence I guess.

Captain Deutschland, Ozzy The Insane, Hanz Limbchewer – r40+ mes/nec/engi Desolation
Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Posted by: Inculpatus cedo.9234

Inculpatus cedo.9234

Yes, released exactly at the time when every GW1 veteran was expecting new minis via a birthday gift. Total coincidence I guess.

I am pretty sure many people knew exactly what was coming in the birthday gift (i.e. Queen Jennah) a few weeks ago.

On the other hand, the release of Set II of the minis was a bit of a surprise.

Not sure how much that supports your conspirational-sounding theory.

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Same thing I thought. They went through the effort of making an entire new set of mini pets, they mine as well of just used those as bday gifts; following GW1’s system. Seemed like a missed opportunity.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Hka.3942

Hka.3942

Not really on subject but, I was really disappointed by the mini set 2, not only did it came around at the same time as the birthday gift but it’s also full of minis that use the exact same model as minis from set 1 and even some of set 2, plus it may only be me but I never liked humanoid minis and there is a LOT of them in this set.

(edited by Hka.3942)

Posted by: Treeline.3865

Treeline.3865

I want to praise them for all the free content but at the same time if you want anything except content they sure know how much to take for it. I don’t mind the gemstore. I mind that the amount of gems/cash you have to come up with is ridiculous.

Leader of Heroes [Hero] – Seafarers Rest

Posted by: Vol.5241

Vol.5241

The entitlement for this game is ridiculous. You get a bunch of free stuff on your birthday and you complain?

[Permabanned on Forums]
[Currently Inactive, Playing BF4]
Magic find works. http://sinasdf.imgur.com/

Posted by: thehipone.6812

thehipone.6812

Looking at the amount of repetition and similar minis in set 2, I shudder to think of what sets 3 & 4 will look like…
Mini Orange Fur Charr
Mini Brown Fur Charr
Mini White Fur Charr
Mini Brown Spotted Fur Charr…

Posted by: Mesket.5728

Mesket.5728

I don’t particularly care for minis but to be honest, if the queen didn’t have a collectable spot I would’ve destroyed it.

I can’t find any sense, humor, lore, fun; anything on humanoids minis. First birthday was a complete disappointment and I’m happy I didn’t kept alts I didn’t like just for this.

Zerk is the average Joe build. Don’t pat yourself in the back too hard.

Posted by: Ghettoblade.7962

Ghettoblade.7962

I want to praise them for all the free content but at the same time if you want anything except content they sure know how much to take for it. I don’t mind the gemstore. I mind that the amount of gems/cash you have to come up with is ridiculous.

Free content?..that content was payed for with all those useless RNG boxes and keys,not to mention the skins,gathering tools ectra..Nothing is free.

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

I played the first game alot and have almost 4,000 hours on the second game, I love them both, but you have to agree with me when I say that if ArenaNet made GW2 birthday gifts the same as they were in GW1.. people would have complained about the randomly generated miniatures.

I doubt ArenaNet would have made birthday gifts purchasable by other players in GW2, so 1 character that turned a year old = 1 try at a miniature. Different rarities of miniatures (fine, masterwork, rare, exotic) = QQ because you didn’t get an exotic mini and those that did made bank from luck.

Now though, you can spend in-game gold in specific miniatures AND buy miniature packs on the gemstore if you really want to partake in the RNG risk. They should have done birthdays by account though, so people wouldn’t be walking around with 14 miniature Queen Jennahs.

Posted by: Chuo.4238

Chuo.4238

I don’t see a conspiracy theory here, but I do see a very ill-timed decision by ArenaNet to release Mini-Pack II of minis for sale, around the same time as a birthday.

If they’d thought about it, they might also have realized that giving people a bunch of the same, account bound mini as a birthday present, given their history of making them variable and tradeable, would cause a ruckus in the community.

Apparently they thought about neither of these things, and clearly not the effect that doing them around the same time might have.

Which tells me that they’re still waaaaaaaaaay out of touch with the playerbase, and mostly everything they implement seems like a rush-job with minimal thought care put into it.

(edited by Chuo.4238)

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

The entitlement for this game is ridiculous. You get a bunch of free stuff on your birthday and you complain?

Not sure if serious or trolling.

In any case, ill simplify it either way. The problem is this; ANet gave us gifts which you’re right, are free, but are largely useless. 1 Queen Jenna, okay. But anymore than one becomes pointless, and ANet made sure to add an insult on it. How? You can’t even forge them into something else. So all we can do is delete it or keep it. I’m sorry, but that’s kind of low that we can’t recycle something we don’t like.

The booster isn’t too bad, that’s probably the most useful thing in the pack.

The level booster however, is extremely binary. You either can use it, or it’s ABSOLUTELY USELESS. At this point, you have this sort of situation: Most players, will have characters beyond 20. So they can’t use it. Those who won’t, either made their characters recently – and therefore can use it, though they are far and few between if they were playing for a year so far – and the other group are new players, however if they’re new.. Yeah.. I don’t think they’re getting their birthday in the next few days for obvious reasons.

So as you can see, two out of the three portions of the gift suck. More than one Queen Jenna is useless, and the level boosters are very binary in the extent of their use. Whilst this may sound a little harsh, A-Net pulled something really sloppy, and if this was their absolute best, than they clearly have huge issues in the way of resourcing their productions, which isn’t even remotely a good thing.

Even the _000 achievement point chests are more exciting than the birthday gift box, and quite frankly, if something you get on average once every month or two is more exciting and rewarding than something you get once a year, that’s pretty dam bad.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

Honestly i wasn’t gonna say anything but i agree with the OP does seem rather suspect that right as the one year pops we get one mini and at the same time a huge set comes out as well..

Tin Foil hat maybe but it does feel like Nexon at work again to me..

Posted by: Siphaed.9235

Siphaed.9235

The real and final stab in the back was this. Not just that they didn’t give us random minis and we got 8 Jennahs, but meanwhile, they add 42 new minipets to the gemstore. Jennah for tease, and if you want your GW1 present, you can have it, just empty your pocket for it.

I hope ArenaNet will start to make logical decisions at some point after they left behind their ‘GW1 didn’t exist and we ignore every loyal veteran’ mentality,

What are you yammering about? Minis were set to be a gemstore item SINCE DAY #1. The players have gotten many a free mini pets through events (Wintersday, Dragon Bash, Queen’s Jubilee, etc.).

However, the bulk of minis are still a Gem Store item based on A.Net needing actual money to pay for the FREE 2 WEEK CONTENT UPDATES that players are getting WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION all the time. Even still with that into consideration, Type 2 minis are tradable and sellable on the Trading Post, which I’ve seen many there now (averaging 1-20g each). And, on top of that, you can still just trade gold for gems and get a random pack for free* using in-game currency (*meaning you don’t have to pay real $$ for it).

As for the birthday gift….they didn’t have to do that. There’s no benefit for them to give players something for free. They could have done what SW:TOR did, put a title up on the Gem Store for 24hrs for like $1 (no joke, this is what SW:TOR did during the 10th anniversary of The Old Republic series, which they made a whole big ol’ press release about it).

It’s the same with the Currency Wallet, something that again they didn’t have to do. There’s the fact that item frees up player bag space, which is contradictory your conspiracy theory of them trying to squeeze money out of players (considering they sell bag and bank slots).

Oh let’s not forget Achievement Rewards. Those things give players FREE GEMS [@ 5,000 and 10,000 points]. Those greedy people at ArenaNet are giving players free currency for playing the game, how dare they! I mean, those gems are enough to buy 2 sets of minis just from both those thresholds. That’s not right…they can’t possibly be giving away stuff for free?! Shame!

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

What are you yammering about? Minis were set to be a gemstore item SINCE DAY #1. The players have gotten many a free mini pets through events (Wintersday, Dragon Bash, Queen’s Jubilee, etc.).

However, the bulk of minis are still a Gem Store item based on A.Net needing actual money to pay for the FREE 2 WEEK CONTENT UPDATES that players are getting WITHOUT A SUBSCRIPTION all the time. Even still with that into consideration, Type 2 minis are tradable and sellable on the Trading Post, which I’ve seen many there now (averaging 1-20g each). And, on top of that, you can still just trade gold for gems and get a random pack for free* using in-game currency (*meaning you don’t have to pay real $$ for it).

As for the birthday gift….they didn’t have to do that. There’s no benefit for them to give players something for free. They could have done what SW:TOR did, put a title up on the Gem Store for 24hrs for like $1 (no joke, this is what SW:TOR did during the 10th anniversary of The Old Republic series, which they made a whole big ol’ press release about it).

It’s the same with the Currency Wallet, something that again they didn’t have to do. There’s the fact that item frees up player bag space, which is contradictory your conspiracy theory of them trying to squeeze money out of players (considering they sell bag and bank slots).

Oh let’s not forget Achievement Rewards. Those things give players FREE GEMS [@ 5,000 and 10,000 points]. Those greedy people at ArenaNet are giving players free currency for playing the game, how dare they! I mean, those gems are enough to buy 2 sets of minis just from both those thresholds. That’s not right…they can’t possibly be giving away stuff for free?! Shame!

Really, you believe all that? well glad you’re happy then..

Posted by: Vayne.8563

Vayne.8563

No one believes it.

Programmers at Anet all donate their time to work for free on the content patches and upgrades we’ve been getting. They need no pay. Anet’s headquarters are donated to them by fans who love the game, and the tech support department are all volunteers.

Every cent Anet makes from this game goes to a greedy Asura who’s manipulating the entire system for his own benefit.

Treeline.3865

Free content?..that content was payed for with all those useless RNG boxes and keys,not to mention the skins,gathering tools ectra..Nothing is free.

The RNG boxes are a choice you make. But that does not mean Anet should take advantage of their playerbase in that way.

Gandarel.5091

No one believes it.

Programmers at Anet all donate their time to work for free on the content patches and upgrades we’ve been getting. They need no pay. Anet’s headquarters are donated to them by fans who love the game, and the tech support department are all volunteers.

Every cent Anet makes from this game goes to a greedy Asura who’s manipulating the entire system for his own benefit.

GW1 managed to survive and be successful enough to make a GW2, and they had no gemstore. You could basically buy 4-5 stuff for real money. Like extra character slot, extra bank tab. No fluffy quaggan hats.

We’re not telling that they don’t need or don’t deserve the money. But they definitely became more greedy. You have to pay gems for a chance to get the skins you used to get for content reward tokens in GW1.

As a PvP player, I can’t make gold. 0. Nothing. I’m still stuck with 1 gamemode and still get nothing from living story. The response we got from the devs on this is: “they have to consult with the economy-specialists, because economy is very fragile and they don’t want to make too much impact on it with changes” – yeah right in 2 weeks PvE farming made gems drop from 1 gold=30 to 1 gold=17. And it’s not over.

Double standards all the way.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Okay this is what they SHOULD have done instead:
Let us “Mystic Forge” 4 Jennahs together to get one of these new Mini-Packs free….
Then watch the datamining on how many people chose that option and adjust next-year’s Birthday gifting accordingly. ….then it would be majority rule instead of Forum Wars 2 deciding it. Fair??

Not just that they didn’t give us random minis and we got 8 Jennahs, but meanwhile, they add 42 new minipets to the gemstore.

I don’t really see these two as being connected.
I think the main issue is still: Who the KITTEN wanted 5-8 of the exact same minis of a total Killjoy (ruining all the great fighting between Charr & Humans) who also caused Snaff’s death by being a stupid helpless “Damsel in Distress” Trope…

People who read the first book, and have their heads screwed on right? …HATE HER.
…even more than they hate Trehearne…

And let’s go back to the Charr & Humans again… There was never any other rivalry this good in Tyria’s history. Nothing else compares. Not between the Lupicii and the Dragons … Not between the Forgotten/Dwarves and the Dragon’s Generals, not even the Seers and Mursaat measure up, and they were the races that created the frikkin Bloodstone and opened the way to the Rift in the first place… All of the great Cataclysms, centered around this rivalry. It needs to come back, even if only for like 1 year like that Second Movie in a Trilogy where everything goes to hell and everyone has to deal with real adversity and despair for a little while… That’s what the essence of Guildwars is… not this Shiny Camelot where everyone’s united behind some boring Plant guy and a “little miss perfect” Single-White-Matriarch plus easy-farm Steampunk Pirates on the side… Oh and …Also … Palawa Joko … Need him back too, just b/c it’s about time we got some undead up in here with some actual Character and good dialogue…

But yeah…
I don’t even identify as a Charr or a Human. My two mains in the first game weren’t thematically Humans either. Yet I would join the separatists & renegade’s efforts in a heartbeat if this game had real depth and had let us choose that path instead of the Orders…

(edited by ilr.9675)

Posted by: ezd.6359

ezd.6359

It is like to gift an empty gift box. Respect and disrespect in same time. In gw1 minis had a value, in gw2 they are not unique or something special at all. Boosters and scrolls? I have no words sorry

English is not my native language, sorry :<

Posted by: lordkrall.7241

lordkrall.7241

Wait.. so we had set 1 released when the game went live.
And now when a year has past we get set 2. Is that really suprising?
Wouldn’t it be quite logical to assume that a set would be released per year, or was I the only one who assumed that?

Krall Bloodsword – Mesmer
Krall Peterson – Warrior
Piken Square

Posted by: Seven Star Stalker.1740

Seven Star Stalker.1740

Wait.. so we had set 1 released when the game went live.
And now when a year has past we get set 2. Is that really suprising?
Wouldn’t it be quite logical to assume that a set would be released per year, or was I the only one who assumed that?

That’s the issue. Even though the timing is pretty fair. Considering ANet had whatever the eff reason to spam Queen Jenna minis at the player base, is pretty dam annoying that they release the next clump of minis a couple of days after.

I mean, Noone wants 5+ Queen Jennas, hell, finding someone who wants 1+ of her is rare.

I ? Karkas.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

yes, it is frightening. Burglars will come to your home this very night, put a gun to your temple and make you buy those minis.

Treeline.3865

yes, it is frightening. Burglars will come to your home this very night, put a gun to your temple and make you buy those minis.

That argument is as empty as it gets.
A burglar will also come and tell me to stop playing GW2. But like the game itself we happen to care about a lot of things within the game. Surprise.

Posted by: Algreg.3629

Algreg.3629

A burglar will also come and tell me to stop playing GW2. But like the game itself we happen to care about a lot of things within the game. Surprise.

yes, and minis are the centre of the game. You really have to have something because it is just there and not doing much. No, my argument is not empty. It was a satiric exaggeration. The complaint was “oh no, they introduced something new to buy into the game, I have to buy it”, in plainer words, my reply is: well, you are not forced to buy anything.

Posted by: Flissy.4093

Flissy.4093

You got up to 500 achievement points and a bunch of exclusive weapons, armor and titles.

Yeah, you guys sure as hell aren’t rewarded for your past loyalty to the series.

Light Up the Darkness
“Dear ANet, nerf Paper, Scissors is fine. Sincerely, Rock”
Elysaurus | Warrior | [LOL] | League of the Legendary | Gandara (EU)

Gandarel.5091

You got up to 500 achievement points and a bunch of exclusive weapons, armor and titles.

Yeah, you guys sure as hell aren’t rewarded for your past loyalty to the series.

We got that reward system from the “Old ArenaNet” that actually cared about us. But seems like only to the point to invest money with buying this game.

Fear The Crazy [Huns]

(edited by Gandarel.5091)

Posted by: dronzer.8392

dronzer.8392

yes, and minis are the centre of the game. You really have to have something because it is just there and not doing much. No, my argument is not empty. It was a satiric exaggeration. The complaint was “oh no, they introduced something new to buy into the game, I have to buy it”, in plainer words, my reply is: well, you are not forced to buy anything.

I honestly don’t see the appeal of Mini’s ? even in the original GW, infact I actually rarely ever see anyone during my time in the game run around with one constantly active- their function seems very trivial…..

Posted by: Draconicus.7564

Draconicus.7564

I enter here to kinda support the OP …but after red so many posts of “extremely happy” GW2 players that absolutely "agree with everything " in the game, i give up, seriously!

It’s just look that if some one , this days, gives them a Silver plate full with a pile of HorseSh. ,they just will smile and ask for more please, because it’s delicious and smells so nice!… … …

I really start to think that people just deserves what they have… … … Sad it is!